A Few Thoughts About The Game

I would just like to point out again in NYC's final observation thread of the season, that these thoughts ARE in a particular order. They are numbered.

Always enjoy reading your weekly thread, Bill.

I thought I saw Maybin late in the game, but it was a crushed gatorade cup.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazong to me the Jets got Knight 32 carries or so yet we give spiller 3?? Maybin and McCargo can't be seen on field yet Gholston and the Jets used like 4 Qbs. Knowing we are crap and nothing to gain I am surprosed Gailey did not find a way to get these guys on the field if for nothing else, experience to evaluate further. why can't Spiller get carries? why draft him then?

The season is over. We didn't expect to be in the playoffs, and despite the lack of enthusiasm many people had for Nix and Gailey, I think they have shown us that the team is moving toward respectability. I really wanted us to have the lowest draft pick possible - I mean, I wanted us to lose today. It wouldn't have done any good to beat the Jets 2nd stringers, and had Brohm done good it wouldn't have done him any good either, because there would've been an asterisk next to all of it. This team needs some real playmakers, and we now will be guaranteed a chance at Fairley, Bowers, Cam Newton, Luck (if he comes out), Peterson, Mallet - I mean, there are going to be a number of guys available to us that will be major upgrades. And, our second round pick will be high enough to be an immediate starter, too. Our third should be.

I would expect our F.O. to go out and select safe, big guys to keep adding, slowly, to this roster. I'm thinking we will see heavy D-line, Linebacker, and O-line additions, perhaps unspectacular (except, I think, we can get a spectacular DE/DT in the first, if we want) positions - not flashy RB/WR playmaker types, but I think we'll be moving slowly towards putting together two solid units. I see us adding 2 linebackers, 1 D-lineman, 2 O-linemen, a TE and a QB.

I, too, have enjoyed the offseason on this site more over the last few years than the regular season. There is still hope of all the potential great combination of moves we could make to put together the great team - and this offseason will hopefully be no different. Let's hope we have football in 2011.

First time I can remember being glad the Bills season is over.

Time for Ralph Wilson to decide if OWNING an NFL team is 'enough' or if he would like a Lombardi trophy after being in the driver's seat since 1960.

It will be interesting to see what the off season brings.

Happy Trails, Bill!

Saw 0.0 minutes of the game.

I thought of something listening though. The Johnson fumble (which I saw on replay) makes me wonder why you don't like this guy more. He's the Jason Peters of WRs. Talent coming out his eyeballs. 10 cent head that causes him to do completely boneheaded things.

Saw 0.0 minutes of the game.

I thought of something listening though. The Johnson fumble (which I saw on replay) makes me wonder why you don't like this guy more. He's the Jason Peters of WRs. Talent coming out his eyeballs. 10 cent head that causes him to do completely boneheaded things.

watching that fumble and spiller idiotically trying to cover the fumble instead of knocking it out of bounds showed me that spiller and johnson are two of the dimmer bulbs on the bills.

fingers crossed that they learn from this year and get it together in 2011.

I don't want a LB with a top 4 pick. I want a beast of a D Lineman. Give me one of those and I'll be happy.

I'm on board with that - as long as it's not a repeat of the McCargo Fiasco . . .

. . . but in retrospect, there have been so many fiascos. :wallbash:

Thanks Bill. Good insight.

I thought McKelvin actually had decent coverage on the TD, though. No biggie.

I am ready to move on from every other bust from previous regimes except him. I suppose it's because I've seen him make plays before. And no, Donte's pick verse TB two years ago on a screen pass which fell right into his hands does not count as making a play. Leodis deserves another year, but he seems not to have learned much in his time here.

I agree to give Leodis more time. Also need to state that Lee Evans needs to find a new team.

Until the OL is settled, this team will suck. That said Mead, I can't help it....I want the Bills to draft Ryan Mallett. And, I should know better. The thing is, I have not seen a player with an arm like his in a long, long time. To put it in perspective, he has, imo, a much better arm than Dan Marino.

If they don't take Mallett, I am hoping for a trade down.

Jmo.

I haven't seen an arm like Mallet's since JP Losman (yes, he had a great arm).

First time I can remember being glad the Bills season is over.

Time for Ralph Wilson to decide if OWNING an NFL team is 'enough' or if he would like a Lombardi trophy after being in the driver's seat since 1960.

It will be interesting to see what the off season brings.

Happy Trails, Bill!

Really? First time? Wow. Not me.

9) Bell played well today. This if you like small, weak tackles who give up sacks and penalties. Jason Taylor, at the age of 90, ate him up.

You and I were watching different games today, because I was keyed on Bell the whole game and he looked very good.

Yes, he had a false start. So did Levitre. Big deal. It's actually more inexcusable for a guard to have one than a tackle

Moats got buried on those wildcat long runs but improved as the game went on. Kyle Williams had a bad day. I am trying to look at this as some players just don't want to be Bills next year. I hope we have plenty to talk about in the off season.

The season is over. We didn't expect to be in the playoffs, and despite the lack of enthusiasm many people had for Nix and Gailey, I think they have shown us that the team is moving toward respectability. I really wanted us to have the lowest draft pick possible - I mean, I wanted us to lose today. It wouldn't have done any good to beat the Jets 2nd stringers, and had Brohm done good it wouldn't have done him any good either, because there would've been an asterisk next to all of it. This team needs some real playmakers, and we now will be guaranteed a chance at Fairley, Bowers, Cam Newton, Luck (if he comes out), Peterson, Mallet - I mean, there are going to be a number of guys available to us that will be major upgrades. And, our second round pick will be high enough to be an immediate starter, too. Our third should be.

I would expect our F.O. to go out and select safe, big guys to keep adding, slowly, to this roster. I'm thinking we will see heavy D-line, Linebacker, and O-line additions, perhaps unspectacular (except, I think, we can get a spectacular DE/DT in the first, if we want) positions - not flashy RB/WR playmaker types, but I think we'll be moving slowly towards putting together two solid units. I see us adding 2 linebackers, 1 D-lineman, 2 O-linemen, a TE and a QB.

Gailey got this offense from bad to mediocre, while his defense was plain bad from Day 1. Either way, Buffalo needs a massive influx of talent on both sides of the ball to get back to even being respectable. Which leads me to Buddy Nix who did very little in his rookie GM season to give his HC the players to win down the road. UFA was a wash with only Dwan Edwards figuring into their plans moving forward. Their top draft picks failed to get onto the field, and at the end they were forced to go dumpster diving into other teams' practice squads to fill out their roster.

In a season of rebuilding, they constructed a few cinder blocks. And I'll believe they are after the name UFA's when I see it. The Bills seem more interested in saving money than spending it, unless of course it's for players who give great post game comments or haven't been good in 3 seasons.

Rebuilding one or two players at a time isn't cutting it. With guys aging every year, you've got to do more than that. Their stadium lease expires in 2012, so winning now seems to be an understatement.

Edited by BillsVet

1) I think that it is settled. Brohm is a comedy show at QB. Albany, NY, take a bow. Btw, Fitz, who is not at all noted for arm strength, has twice his arm, and is more skilled in every other phase of the position.

2) I am here to take my lumps. Yes, I thought that the Bills would romp today and screw up their draft slot. If I was a gambler, I would have bet huge money against them. But you know what? It sure is great to have a forum to make predictions. Thanks SDS, and thanks to the mods for doing the work on this great site.

3) With 4:15 left in th half, Spiller called for a fair catch on a punt. Problem was there was nobody within 6 or 7 miles of him. Not yards, miles. :doh:

4) OMG, did you see McKelvin get shoved off the field on the 3rd and 17 play? Shutdown corner? Please.....he is a horror show and yes, another Jauron bust. That's right, he is a bust. Only don't tell Nix, whereas they might draft another 1st round corner.

5) Moats really does have a chance to be a special player. How would Courtney Upshaw from Alabama look on the other side? :thumbsup:

6) Speaking of McKelvin, he was out and out smoked by Edwards on that 3rd qtr. TD. Is he really much better than Reggie Corner?

7) OK.....I have a confession to make. I wanted the Bills to lose today. I should be able to shrug it off but it sucked, and I don't know if I can do this again. I love this team, but drafting at 4 is WAY different than drafting at 8 or 9. Still, it left me with a knot in my stomach.

8) I see good things in Carrington. He took on 2 blockers on one play. I'm telling you, this kid is going to be good.

9) Bell played well today. This if you like small, weak tackles who give up sacks and penalties. Jason Taylor, at the age of 90, ate him up.

10) I want to personally thank each and every poster who takes the time to read, and respond to my weekly rants. Thanks for such great dialogue.

11) Personally, I prefer the offseason on TBD to the regular season. I hope that many of you stick around. There are people here who never cease to amaze me with both their knowledge of the draft, and how much work they put into it.

12) Anyway, now it's on. We can build a football team with the 4th pick in every round. Hope abounds yet again. For us. :)

13) Happy New Year and may God bless you all.

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know your post count is at 15k+, but please.. post more often, Bill. Here's to our 1st rd. pick weighing at least 250 lbs. (unless it's Mallett)

1) I think that it is settled. Brohm is a comedy show at QB. Albany, NY, take a bow. Btw, Fitz, who is not at all noted for arm strength, has twice his arm, and is more skilled in every other phase of the position.

2) I am here to take my lumps. Yes, I thought that the Bills would romp today and screw up their draft slot. If I was a gambler, I would have bet huge money against them. But you know what? It sure is great to have a forum to make predictions. Thanks SDS, and thanks to the mods for doing the work on this great site.

3) With 4:15 left in th half, Spiller called for a fair catch on a punt. Problem was there was nobody within 6 or 7 miles of him. Not yards, miles. :doh:

4) OMG, did you see McKelvin get shoved off the field on the 3rd and 17 play? Shutdown corner? Please.....he is a horror show and yes, another Jauron bust. That's right, he is a bust. Only don't tell Nix, whereas they might draft another 1st round corner.

5) Moats really does have a chance to be a special player. How would Courtney Upshaw from Alabama look on the other side? :thumbsup:

6) Speaking of McKelvin, he was out and out smoked by Edwards on that 3rd qtr. TD. Is he really much better than Reggie Corner?

7) OK.....I have a confession to make. I wanted the Bills to lose today. I should be able to shrug it off but it sucked, and I don't know if I can do this again. I love this team, but drafting at 4 is WAY different than drafting at 8 or 9. Still, it left me with a knot in my stomach.

8) I see good things in Carrington. He took on 2 blockers on one play. I'm telling you, this kid is going to be good.

10) I want to personally thank each and every poster who takes the time to read, and respond to my weekly rants. Thanks for such great dialogue.

11) Personally, I prefer the offseason on TBD to the regular season. I hope that many of you stick around. There are people here who never cease to amaze me with both their knowledge of the draft, and how much work they put into it.

12) Anyway, now it's on. We can build a football team with the 4th pick in every round. Hope abounds yet again. For us. :)

13) Happy New Year and may God bless you all.

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill...I don't post as much during the season, but I still browse...your "few thoughts" are one of the handful of things I read every week, during the season...already looking forward to next season!

You and I were watching different games today, because I was keyed on Bell the whole game and he looked very good.

Yes, he had a false start. So did Levitre. Big deal. It's actually more inexcusable for a guard to have one than a tackle

He had a solid game, I agree, one bad play where I think Brohm didn't read the blitz and fumbled the ball after being hit.

On another note, I thought Moats was awful in run defense and given that the Jets rarely passed the ball, he was really bad in this game.