A Few Thoughts About The Game

Until the OL is settled, this team will suck. That said Mead, I can't help it....I want the Bills to draft Ryan Mallett. And, I should know better. The thing is, I have not seen a player with an arm like his in a long, long time. To put it in perspective, he has, imo, a much better arm than Dan Marino.

If they don't take Mallett, I am hoping for a trade down.

Jmo.

I'll be curious to see his Bowl game appearance. I was high on him pre-season, but he doesn't seem to have the absolutely killer season to make him the consensus first pick overall that many thought he would have a few months back....

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen an arm like Mallet's since JP Losman (yes, he had a great arm).

Losman did have a very good arm. He had a great fastball, and he could get it deep downfield to Evans.

Mallett throws 25 yard safety valve passes in the flat by flicking his wrist. Again, I once saw him throw a 50 yard post with little air under it, and he was standing flat footed.

The thing is, I have seen this before and should know better. There really is more to playing QB than having a freak arm, and we all know this. If there was an Orlando Pace in this draft I would be all about taking him, but there doesn't seem to be. That said, I think that DeMarcus Love will be the Levi Jones of this draft.

In 2002, Jones was thought to be a late 1st round pick. The Bengals grabbed him at #10, and he was a very good LT before he was hurt. If the Bills traded down and selected a player like this, it would be a great pick.

The Bills will have a ton of options now. Let's see if Nix/Gailey can deliver.

My prediction: the Bills will NOT trade down, and couldn't do it even if they wanted to do so. There isn't going to be a player (meaning QB) that teams will trade up for. Luck, the only player truly worth a trade up, will be gone because if he comes out, the Panthers would be beyond foolish to pass on him. They will of course take him. Also, when was the last time a team traded up for a top five pick that didn't involve a QB? The Jets did it for Sanchez and the Giants did it for Manning (after the selection happened, however). I can't think of others.

My prediction: the Bills will NOT trade down, and couldn't do it even if they wanted to do so. There isn't going to be a player (meaning QB) that teams will trade up for. Luck, the only player truly worth a trade up, will be gone because if he comes out, the Panthers would be beyond foolish to pass on him. They will of course take him. Also, when was the last time a team traded up for a top five pick that didn't involve a QB? The Jets did it for Sanchez and the Giants did it for Manning (after the selection happened, however). I can't think of others.

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/football/DraftTrades/1997.htm

Was this the last one? You would however seem to be right in that it doesn't happen often. I am thinking that Jones will make a move for Mallett at some point. He might think that 3 is too early, we shall see.

Edited by Bill from NYC

The lessons to be taken away from this game is that we only have one viable quarterback on the team, that our offensive line needs a lot of work, that we still cannot stop run. Lots of personnel actions have to take place to begin rebuilding this team. Chan has (perhaps) earned a chance to come back next year but he'd better be showing something really good by the opening of the regular season.

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/football/DraftTrades/1997.htm

Was this the last one? You would however seem to be right in that it doesn't happen often. I am thinking that Jones will make a move for Mallett at some point. He might think that 3 is too early, we shall see.

From what I read (I am NOT a huge college follower), Mallett will go well after #3. Looks like #3 will be the spot to pick one of the two hot DBs. I don't say that to tease you--it's just how it looks. I really hope the Bills trade out of that spot if a one of those DBs is the guy they have graded that high. Some other team will covet them and while the Bills need DBs, they need other positions much more.

From what I read (I am NOT a huge college follower), Mallett will go well after #3. Looks like #3 will be the spot to pick one of the two hot DBs. I don't say that to tease you--it's just how it looks. I really hope the Bills trade out of that spot if a one of those DBs is the guy they have graded that high. Some other team will covet them and while the Bills need DBs, they need other positions much more.

I don't think that the franchise would survive a first round defensive back. Spiller was as dumb as a selection as one could imagine, but at least he was some sort of a draw before most fans realized that he is a part time gimmick player.

A defensive back wouldn't even sell tickets. And, if Ralph wanted to do something this dumb he could have kept Jauron, who certainly would take a DB with the 3rd. Mr. Wilson may know little about football, but I am thinking that he would not allow a franchise killing move as such, at least in terms of profits.

I can't speak for all Bills fans, but posters on this board have changed. Most threads now have many posts about QB, OL and front 7. There are only a couple of Levy/Jauron apologists left who praise their idiotic moves, and much of this is due to obstinance, and probably a failing desire to seem "smarter" than other posters.

So yeah, message board posters know that the last thing this team needs is another 1st round rb or db. I would think we would be safe wrt the Bills doing something that incredibly stupid, but alas......I give you CJ Spiller. :huh::censored::oops:

So yeah, message board posters know that the last thing this team needs is another 1st round rb or db. I would think we would be safe wrt the Bills doing something that incredibly stupid, but alas......I give you CJ Spiller. :huh::censored::oops:

I would like not to weep over spilt milk but rather use the experience to make better decisions in future drafts. Spiller could still turn out to be a game-changer but the fact is that he, in no way, postively impacted the Bills in this season. Maybe I aim too high, but I would like to see high first rounders helping the team out in their rookie season as opposed to being pampered and apologized for in the line up. I really do not want to see another Maybin and Spiller type picks who we have to wait on to succeed. Heck, look at how Moats, Troup and Carrington contributed this year. If these players keep improving, we have the makings of a very good defense and would need to add a couple of LBs and one DT/DE.

As far as who we pick, hopefully it is a no-brainer that it should not be a RB or CB. My personal feeling is that it should not be a WR either, considering the crying needs we have elsewhere. In order - QB (if the FO believes there is a franchise player available), OT, LB, DE. It looks like if no QB is graded at #3 by our FO, we should trade down and get atleast an extra #2. Then we will have #1, 2x#2, #3, 2x#4s which would be great for the team. And yes, re-sign Whitner, Poz, Wilson.

The lessons to be taken away from this game is that we only have one viable quarterback on the team, that our offensive line needs a lot of work, that we still cannot stop run. Lots of personnel actions have to take place to begin rebuilding this team. Chan has (perhaps) earned a chance to come back next year but he'd better be showing something really good by the opening of the regular season.

My thoughts exactly.

I expect to see a decent amount of roster moves and purging of current players who just aren't producing on the field, but with a full year and 2 drafts to work with - I expect to see improvements on both sides of the ball next year. And there is just no excuse for all the turnovers this team has - that needs to be addressed by this coaching staff. If they struggle with the same issues next year I believe everyone's patience with the management of this franchise will be strained to the limit and Gailey will have worn out his welcome.

I don't want a LB with a top 4 pick. I want a beast of a D Lineman. Give me one of those and I'll be happy.

i take it you are not too happy with the maybin pick huh

On his first play he got blocked out of the way by a TE on hi second he was able to jump on the pile without getting flagged. Clearly a number 1 Pick

this is funny and getting me upset at the same time.

Until the OL is settled, this team will suck. That said Mead, I can't help it....I want the Bills to draft Ryan Mallett. And, I should know better. The thing is, I have not seen a player with an arm like his in a long, long time. To put it in perspective, he has, imo, a much better arm than Dan Marino.

If they don't take Mallett, I am hoping for a trade down.

Jmo.

I have a high regard for the caliber of your postgame analysis. You have a keen eye wasted on a team which doesn't require such laser vision because the needs are so numerous and glaring.

As I have in other postings I'm going to again (respectfully) disagree with your judgment on Mallett. There is no doubt that Mallett has an impressive arm. Where I have issues with him is when he has to throw while moving his accuracy drops. That is a big issue for any qb playing in the NFL and especially behind our OL. Assuming the Bills don't have an opportunity to draft Luck I continue to tout Newton. I stongly believe that as the draft process advances he will be rated as the second best qb prospect. This past season I have watched Newton at least five times. In all those game he was the most impactful player in a very talent rich conference. Not only that, in tight games he always found a way to bring his team back and win. The big stage never intimidated him. On the contrary, he relished the spotlight and then delivered.

There are going to be many different draft scenarios for the Bills. Whatever scenario materializes what this franchise desperately needs to do is make their picks count, no matter what position they draft for. The Bills need to string together at least three drafts before they can become a relevant team again.

I'm sure you are well aware that this board is populated with a lot of optimists who believe the team is on the verge of turning the corner. They are very misguided. I have little regard for our clueless owner. But he exhibited some wisdom when he said that all he has to offer the fans is: PAIN AND PATIENCE. That is okay with me as long as the franchise starts making consistently good decision. Over time, the accumulation of smart decisions should lead to something positive.

Edited by JohnC

There are going to be many different draft scenarios for the Bills. Whatever scenario materializes what this franchise desperately needs to do is make their picks count, no matter what position they draft for. The Bills need to string together at least three drafts before they can become a relevant team again.

Thank you so much for your kind words.

As to the above, logic tells me that you are right but I (and I suspect that you are in the same boat) can't stop clinging to hope. A solid draft with the number 3, along with a free agency signing of say Kevin Boss and/or Jeremy Trueblood, could transform this team in an instant imo.

What kills us are selections such as McKelvin, Whitner, Maybin, Lynch, Spiller, etc. Even TD, a well respected football man until he came to Buffalo, used his first selection of a draft on Parrish. You can't rebuild a weak team in this manner. It cannot be done, and we are living proof.

More good news is that we have been purged of Levy/Jauron. At least if we lose now, we will do so with football people. ;)

Thank you so much for your kind words.

As to the above, logic tells me that you are right but I (and I suspect that you are in the same boat) can't stop clinging to hope. A solid draft with the number 3, along with a free agency signing of say Kevin Boss and/or Jeremy Trueblood, could transform this team in an instant imo.

What kills us are selections such as McKelvin, Whitner, Maybin, Lynch, Spiller, etc. Even TD, a well respected football man until he came to Buffalo, used his first selection of a draft on Parrish. You can't rebuild a weak team in this manner. It cannot be done, and we are living proof.

More good news is that we have been purged of Levy/Jauron. At least if we lose now, we will do so with football people. ;)

I'm reluctant to be the person who is going to squeeze the last bit of oxygen out of your labored breath of hope but I'm going to do so for your own good. For medicinal reasons I'm going to throw a bucket of ice water on you to bring you back to face reality. Ralph Wilson is not going to take the free agent route to quickly rejuvenate this franchise. Although I have little regard for him I understand his approach and I agree with it.

There comes a time when you have to draft your own talent, develop it and then retain it when their next contract comes up. As an example, letting CB Greer go and then drafting McKelvin to replace him is a pathway to futility. I'm aware that McKelivn was drafted before Greer's departure but he was taken because the organization knew that they were not going to pay the price to keep him. In other words, the Bills are replacing talent instead of adding talent to the roster. How many RBs have the Bills taken with high picks? McGahee, Spiller and Lynch were all number one picks. Again, you are not adding talent but merely replacing talent. Instead of buttressing other weak positions this stupid organization was addressing the same positions over and over. When the main focus of an organization is about scrutinizing contracts instead of talent then you get systemic mediocrity.

Other historically troubled franchises have recently demonstrated that there is one standard approach to a successful turnaround: Draft well. It is not a quick fix but it works. Teams such as Detroit, St. Louis, KC, Tampa are examples that troubled franchises can move in the right direction and build a foundation that is more durable than the free agent acquisition route.

Bill,

As always wonderful insights and opening up for a honest discussion on every Sunday Night/Monday morning. I wish the Bills would allow us to have such a thread in late January for once since this board was set up.

Happy New Year to you and your family. May 2011 take us into the playoffs.

Now back to the off season that I love to hate... Combine, Free Agency, Drafts, mini-camp, rookie camp, OTAs....(if any of these will even exist next season). The off season is when I really love TBD...Thanks SDS for providing us an opportunity to discuss the Bills 24/7/365.

I don't think that the franchise would survive a first round defensive back. Spiller was as dumb as a selection as one could imagine, but at least he was some sort of a draw before most fans realized that he is a part time gimmick player.

A defensive back wouldn't even sell tickets. And, if Ralph wanted to do something this dumb he could have kept Jauron, who certainly would take a DB with the 3rd. Mr. Wilson may know little about football, but I am thinking that he would not allow a franchise killing move as such, at least in terms of profits.

I can't speak for all Bills fans, but posters on this board have changed. Most threads now have many posts about QB, OL and front 7. There are only a couple of Levy/Jauron apologists left who praise their idiotic moves, and much of this is due to obstinance, and probably a failing desire to seem "smarter" than other posters.

Wholeheartedly agree. However, the last time we took a OT with the 4th pick, it turned into a disaster. What the Bills really need on defense (besides players) is a good scheme. Right now their schemes are not working and have become too predictable. It was shameful to see the Jets march down 70-80 yards on that 1st drive without throwing a single pass and yet we could not stop them.

I'm reluctant to be the person who is going to squeeze the last bit of oxygen out of your labored breath of hope but I'm going to do so for your own good. For medicinal reasons I'm going to throw a bucket of ice water on you to bring you back to face reality. Ralph Wilson is not going to take the free agent route to quickly rejuvenate this franchise. Although I have little regard for him I understand his approach and I agree with it.

There comes a time when you have to draft your own talent, develop it and then retain it when their next contract comes up. As an example, letting CB Greer go and then drafting McKelvin to replace him is a pathway to futility. I'm aware that McKelivn was drafted before Greer's departure but he was taken because the organization knew that they were not going to pay the price to keep him. In other words, the Bills are replacing talent instead of adding talent to the roster. How many RBs have the Bills taken with high picks? McGahee, Spiller and Lynch were all number one picks. Again, you are not adding talent but merely replacing talent. Instead of buttressing other weak positions this stupid organization was addressing the same positions over and over. When the main focus of an organization is about scrutinizing contracts instead of talent then you get systemic mediocrity.

Other historically troubled franchises have recently demonstrated that there is one standard approach to a successful turnaround: Draft well. It is not a quick fix but it works. Teams such as Detroit, St. Louis, KC, Tampa are examples that troubled franchises can move in the right direction and build a foundation that is more durable than the free agent acquisition route.

I agree with the above. Unfortunately, Bill made a good point about the Spiller pick--which looks very questionable at the moment. Hopefully that was an aberration rather than part of a pattern.

I get to spend the next few months being excited by what the Bills could do with their very early pick. Hopefully that sense of excitement won't disappear on draft day.