Give Spiller a break

DC Grid

I believe Spiller will be just fine and develop into a Reggie Bush like back. If the Bills were more desperate for RB help he would have had a better year as he'd get more touches. (Obviously this only underlines what an odd luxury pick an RB was.) Think of how jackson didn't hit his stride in the season till about 100 carries in, or how Jackson and Lynch usually take 5-10 carries a game to even get going. Right now Spiller is getting 2-5 carries and that's it.

I think there is also another aspect of Spiller's development that people are missing. The time crunch Chan Gailey has been under. Coordinating plays and developing a player in a reggie bush like roll takes time and effort. Looking at the comments coming out of OBD when Spiller was drafted it seems that Chan was planning to spend tons of time with Spiller and integrate him into the offense in a Bush like or Harvin like manner. But that was when Chan didn't really seem to appreciate the mess he'd have on his hands QB wise.

Instead of being able to focus on inegrating Spiller, Chan was working his rear off to try to prepare a QB to start for the Bills. He spent all preseason and the fist two games trying to make Edwards the guy, then had to completely retool and go to work on Fitz after he realized Edwards was a lost cause. As was talked about ad nauseum in the offseason, Chan is a hands on OC. He is in EVERY QB meeting, he lives with them, and he has head coaching duties to boot. Given all of this Chan really hasn't had the time to work with Spiller or worry about his development.

This wouldn't be a big issue if Spiller was the typical plug and play back, or if the Bills didn't have Freddy (and Lynch at the start) and Spiller had the opportunity to learn on the field through voluminous opportunites. But Spiller as Chan envisions him is a different kind of back. And Chan spent the entrie preseason and weeks 1-5 of the regular season just trying to figure out who his QB was and bring them up to speed. Then Chan spent every waking moment trying to hold the team together and prevent a winless season. As things finally settled down a little, and he might have had time to better integrate Spiller, Spiller got hurt. Over the next 4 weeks Chan should finally have more time to work with Spiller, but with the OL now a complete disaster again due to a rash of injuries I wouldn't expect any back to excel in the Bills offense the rest of this year.

And even when the line was healthy, Spiller's style was the worst posible paring with the Bills OL. Spiller is an outside runner...nothing wrong with that, but an outside runner needs OTs that can run block. Right now the Bills have 0 OTs who can effectively run block on sweeps or pitches. Freddy has success becuase he gets to run behind some of the better young interior linemen in the NFL. When Spiller gets a pitch or a sweep, he is running behind THE WORST OTs in the entire NFL.

I don't defend drafting Spiller. I wanted Bulaga at the time, and it is clear the Bills desperately could have used a defensive player instead, but labeling Spiller a bust at this point is premature and ignorant of the totality of circumstances.

Edited by DC Grid

Dude. Stop making lame excuses for Spiller and how we're trying to put him in our offense like a Reggie Bush. Theres so many things wrong with this post its just embarassing.

First, you say Chan didn't have time to develop Spiller because he was too busy spending time with his QB's? DUDE. He's a HC in the NFL. If he doesn't know how to multi-task and use his other coaches to develop his players, then he's not doing his job. So i HIGHLY doubt that was an issue. Stop saying Chan didnt have time or this and that. HE HAS OTHER COACHES IN HIS COACHING STAFF. THEY'RE CALLED RUNNING BACK COACHES, OFFENSIVE COORDINATORS, AND QB COACHES. You talk as if he's the only coach in this coaching STAFF

You guys keep talking about how it takes TIME to incorporate a RB into an offense. So why is it that Belichick can take a 5'0" oompa loompa named Danny Woodhead and make him look 10000 times better than CJ Spiller? From what I've seen from Danny Woodhead, is that he's been a more physical RB than Spiller AND a better receiver than Spiller. It shouldnt take time for a RB to get that involved in an offense. ESPECIALLY for a top 10 pick. If Spiller was that good, then Chan would have NO PROBLEMS getting him into the lineup. Spiller's obviously struggling in all aspects of the game. From running the ball, to seeing holes, to pass blocking, to returning kicks. I havent seen him succeed in anything.

You made a comment how you need OT's to run outside? Not always true. You can always run counter plays and pull our Guards to run around and our Guards I think are definately athletic and good enough to do that.

You guys wanna talk about RB's taking time to develop with a crppy o-line? Explain Jahvid Best please with the Lions. As a rookie, he's been AWESOME at making things happen and receiving. He's shown PROMISE even though his numbers arent mindblowing. He's shown me and the NFL something. Spiller? What's he shown? Why did it take the Lions this short of a time to develop Best? They had QB problems too. You're to tell me that the Lions have a better o-line than we do? Why? I'll tell u why. Jahvid Best is legit and Spiller? Well. Not really.

Jahvid Best 800 yds from scrimmage and 5 TDs. I'm not even gonna post Spillers sorry azz numbers cuz its just freakin EMBARASSING.

Give me a break dude. Stop with these lame excuses that dont make sense

Edited by DreReed83

It's ridiculous to label Spiller a "bust" but I'd be lying if I said i wasn't disappointed. Obviously if he were better, and the coaches trusted him more, he'd be playing more. I'll say the same thing about CJ that i said about Lynch for 3 years...stop running east/west and stutter stepping. You are not going to beat NFL defenders bouncing outside too often. Get the ball, eye the seam, and make one cut at most ala Freddie...and take what you can get GOING FORWARD. If that's 3 yards so be it. If you bust it into the second layer, then use the juke move if you want but be decisive and hit it hard! there is rarely a hole...just a small seam and he has to realize what it takes to make yardage in the NFL. Once he "gets it" he will be darn good.

It's ridiculous to label Spiller a "bust" but I'd be lying if I said i wasn't disappointed. Obviously if he were better, and the coaches trusted him more, he'd be playing more. I'll say the same thing about CJ that i said about Lynch for 3 years...stop running east/west and stutter stepping. You are not going to beat NFL defenders bouncing outside too often. Get the ball, eye the seam, and make one cut at most ala Freddie...and take what you can get GOING FORWARD. If that's 3 yards so be it. If you bust it into the second layer, then use the juke move if you want but be decisive and hit it hard! there is rarely a hole...just a small seam and he has to realize what it takes to make yardage in the NFL. Once he "gets it" he will be darn good.

He should ALREADY get it. Why did we draft a RB who hasn't "gotten it" by now that early? It's the end of his rookie season and he's obviously not even getting it in practice because he barely sees the field.

Jahvid Best looks like the real thing.

Edited by DreReed83

He should ALREADY get it. Why did we draft a RB who hasn't "gotten it" by now that early? It's the end of his rookie season and he's obviously not even getting it in practice because he barely sees the field.

Jahvid Best looks like the real thing.

Relax, i understand your point about Spiller. As i said, most people including me are disappointed. Don't get too crazy about Best though. He looks decent but i have him on my fantasy team and have followed him closely. There was about 6 consecutive games recently where he did next to nothing in terms of production. He has had 3 or 4 games though where he looks better than CJ has ever looked so you can see his potential.

here is the long term picture of why Spiller will change our offense. It's a needed threat for the long term picture of Chan's

http://www.nfl.com/thanksgiving/story/09000d5d81c5c0f6/article/bushs-return-gives-saints-muchneeded-threat-decoy

PS. X's and O's included in the article.

What a laugh...CJ is not a threat...no one is worried enough about him to be a decoy. What the hell is "long'term"...? In the long term he'll be playing for another team.

Javid Best has been hurt all year. Spiller's role is more of WR which takes longer to develop. Not to mention we had to showcase Lynch which took development time away from him.

Bush's first year

2006 New Orleans Saints att155 yd565 3.6

Javid best 444 yards and a 3.6 average. Not any better than Spiller

Relax, i understand your point about Spiller. As i said, most people including me are disappointed. Don't get too crazy about Best though. He looks decent but i have him on my fantasy team and have followed him closely. There was about 6 consecutive games recently where he did next to nothing in terms of production. He has had 3 or 4 games though where he looks better than CJ has ever looked so you can see his potential.

Jahvid's missed a couple games due to injury and he plays against the Packers, Minnesota, and Bears defense twice a year, not to mention he's had to play the Giants and Jets defense too. That's 6 times this season, he has to go up against some of the best defenses in the league. Regardless, Best has 570 yds of scrimmage more than Spiller and 5 times as many TDs. Best plays these tough defenses and he STILL Gets carries and decent production. Again, his numbers arent mindblowing but he's shown potential. That's all i look at in a rookie year.

Edited by DreReed83

Javid Best has been hurt all year. Spiller's role is more of WR which takes longer to develop. Not to mention we had to showcase Lynch which took development time away from him.

Bush's first year

2006 New Orleans Saints att155 yd565 3.6

Javid best 444 yards and a 3.6 average. Not any better than Spiller

Spiller's role is more of WR which takes longer to develop?

Jahvid Best has 50 receptions, 407 yds, 8.1 yds per reception and 1 TD

CJ Spiller 20 receptions, 82 yds, 4.1 yds per reception, and 1 TD

BEST is better than Spiller at receiving too. I thought it took time for a WR type role to develop?

NEXT LAME EXCUSE PLEASE?

Lets give Maybin and McCargo a break too while we are at it.

I know right??? And i'm sure Raider fans are giving Darius Heyward Bey a break too. He runs fast.

:wallbash:

Edited by DreReed83

I believe Spiller will be just fine and develop into a Reggie Bush like back. If the Bills were more desperate for RB help he would have had a better year as he'd get more touches. (Obviously this only underlines what an odd luxury pick an RB was.) Think of how jackson didn't hit his stride in the season till about 100 carries in, or how Jackson and Lynch usually take 5-10 carries a game to even get going. Right now Spiller is getting 2-5 carries and that's it.

I think there is also another aspect of Spiller's development that people are missing. The time crunch Chan Gailey has been under. Coordinating plays and developing a player in a reggie bush like roll takes time and effort. Looking at the comments coming out of OBD when Spiller was drafted it seems that Chan was planning to spend tons of time with Spiller and integrate him into the offense in a Bush like or Harvin like manner. But that was when Chan didn't really seem to appreciate the mess he'd have on his hands QB wise.

Instead of being able to focus on inegrating Spiller, Chan was working his rear off to try to prepare a QB to start for the Bills. He spent all preseason and the fist two games trying to make Edwards the guy, then had to completely retool and go to work on Fitz after he realized Edwards was a lost cause. As was talked about ad nauseum in the offseason, Chan is a hands on OC. He is in EVERY QB meeting, he lives with them, and he has head coaching duties to boot. Given all of this Chan really hasn't had the time to work with Spiller or worry about his development.

This wouldn't be a big issue if Spiller was the typical plug and play back, or if the Bills didn't have Freddy (and Lynch at the start) and Spiller had the opportunity to learn on the field through voluminous opportunites. But Spiller as Chan envisions him is a different kind of back. And Chan spent the entrie preseason and weeks 1-5 of the regular season just trying to figure out who his QB was and bring them up to speed. Then Chan spent every waking moment trying to hold the team together and prevent a winless season. As things finally settled down a little, and he might have had time to better integrate Spiller, Spiller got hurt. Over the next 4 weeks Chan should finally have more time to work with Spiller, but with the OL now a complete disaster again due to a rash of injuries I wouldn't expect any back to excel in the Bills offense the rest of this year.

And even when the line was healthy, Spiller's style was the worst posible paring with the Bills OL. Spiller is an outside runner...nothing wrong with that, but an outside runner needs OTs that can run block. Right now the Bills have 0 OTs who can effectively run block on sweeps or pitches. Freddy has success becuase he gets to run behind some of the better young interior linemen in the NFL. When Spiller gets a pitch or a sweep, he is running behind THE WORST OTs in the entire NFL.

I don't defend drafting Spiller. I wanted Bulaga at the time, and it is clear the Bills desperately could have used a defensive player instead, but labeling Spiller a bust at this point is premature and ignorant of the totality of circumstances.

The OC/HC hasn't had time to spend with his 1st round draft pick RB??

Chan has spent every waking moment trying to prevent a winless season??? And this mighty task prevented him from figuring out what to do with Spiller?

Our last 3 HCs didn't have to work this hard to avoid going 0-16. In fact, the last one could string together 7-9 seasons without doing anything.

Now I've heard everything.

Does anyone have OJ's first year stats- most of you clowns would have cut him too- very few rookies take the league by storm- relax a little

OJ had over 1000 total yds from scrimmage and 5 TDs. 697 yds rushing and 343 yds receiving. Almost 4 times more than Spillers 280 yds from scrimmage.

NEXT LAME EXCUSE? Like shooting fish in a barrel.

Edited by DreReed83

Marshawn Lynch was over 1000 yds in his rookie year,

So did OJ Simpson.

So did Willis McGahee (HIS FIRST FULL YEAR),

So did Thurman Thomas,

Travis Henry was just over 900+ yds his rookie year

ANTOWAIN SMITH HAD 1017 YDS FROM SCRIMMAGE HIS ROOKIE YEAR.

BUT ITS OK...CJ Spiller is learning to play a HARD position.

I dunno. When Antowain Smith has almost 4 times more yds from scrimmage than your prized RB, then I have a SERIOUS issue.

not sure how old you are but the nattering nabobs of negativity ahd labeled him a bust also

Keep up the good work

Not my fault you can't back up your statements :unsure:

Edited by DreReed83

Right. Cut everyone and start over....every year!

PTR

Yep! That is obviously the formula for success.

Plus, of course stats show the whole picture, as they do for everything in football. When people argue using stats only, its obvious they don't know a whole lot about football (not directed towards you PTR).

Yep! That is obviously the formula for success.

Plus, of course stats show the whole picture, as they do for everything in football. When people argue using stats only, its obvious they don't know a whole lot about football (not directed towards you PTR).

You're right. Stats don't show the whole picture but Spiller doesnt start many games nor does he pass block well. :thumbsup:

OJ had over 1000 total yds from scrimmage and 5 TDs. 697 yds rushing and 343 yds receiving. Almost 4 times more than Spillers 280 yds from scrimmage.

OJ didn't share the backfield with a decent back or 2 his 1st year really and people were calling him a bust for 2-3 years even with more production. OJ wasn't good until the team was built around his talent with a great FB and line ahead of him.

There are plenty of backs and other players that take some time to develop. Great backs usually play for good teams. We may be the best 2 and 10 team but that doesn't make us good. I understand that FJ does do well but he takes time to get into a game as well, a lot of backs do.

I saw Chan had them in the same backfield last week (1st time this season?) I want more of that, lots more. I said so in TC. THAT creates match up problems :thumbsup:

Marshawn Lynch was over 1000 yds in his rookie year,

So did OJ Simpson.

So did Willis McGahee (HIS FIRST FULL YEAR),

So did Thurman Thomas,

Travis Henry was just over 900+ yds his rookie year

ANTOWAIN SMITH HAD 1017 YDS FROM SCRIMMAGE HIS ROOKIE YEAR.

BUT ITS OK...CJ Spiller is learning to play a HARD position.

I dunno. When Antowain Smith has almost 4 times more yds from scrimmage than your prized RB, then I have a SERIOUS issue.

Not my fault you can't back up your statements :unsure:

A few things as I glance through all your air-tight arguments in this thread:

Spiller hasn't gotten the touches any of the above players received. Not even close.

Is it his fault? May be. Did we expect him to beat out Freddy Jackson? If he did he'd be a bona fide super star. Freddy's got a super star's ability to find space, he just doesn't have a super star's wheels. You give Spiller Freddy's patience and vision, and we've got a 12-15 home run machine our backfield.

But in tallying his touches to make our point, what we're failing to account for is that OUR TEAM DOESN'T RUSH OFTEN, period. We rank 25th in number of carries, and if you remove Fitz from the equation, we drop all the way to 30th. Thanks to our beleaguered offensive line, we're a passing team.

Props to the coaching staff for finding ways to move the ball that doesn't rely on what's been a luke warm rush attack, regardless of who's touching the ball (again: see offensive line)

So, you then cited how Best has better receiving statistics than Spiller. This one was most priceless.

Detroit's top five receivers (by receptions) include two, TWO wide receivers. Buffalo? Four. Not only do we throw the ball A LOT, we throw to receivers PREDOMINATELY.

But fine, if you'd rather have a check down QB targeting our first round draft pick so he can his touches and make you feel better him not being a bust after 12 games, I think we all know where you can find your guy.

It's not that Spiller isn't talented or can't play, just that it's turned out to be a wasted pick. The fault is not his, it's on Nix.

BTW, Clay Matthews' brother Casey will be available in the upcoming draft.

jesus h. christ - it's year one!

wtf is wrong with some of you?

Dude. Stop making lame excuses for Spiller and how we're trying to put him in our offense like a Reggie Bush. Theres so many things wrong with this post its just embarassing.

First, you say Chan didn't have time to develop Spiller because he was too busy spending time with his QB's? DUDE. He's a HC in the NFL. If he doesn't know how to multi-task and use his other coaches to develop his players, then he's not doing his job. So i HIGHLY doubt that was an issue. Stop saying Chan didnt have time or this and that. HE HAS OTHER COACHES IN HIS COACHING STAFF. THEY'RE CALLED RUNNING BACK COACHES, OFFENSIVE COORDINATORS, AND QB COACHES. You talk as if he's the only coach in this coaching STAFF

You guys keep talking about how it takes TIME to incorporate a RB into an offense. So why is it that Belichick can take a 5'0" oompa loompa named Danny Woodhead and make him look 10000 times better than CJ Spiller? From what I've seen from Danny Woodhead, is that he's been a more physical RB than Spiller AND a better receiver than Spiller. It shouldnt take time for a RB to get that involved in an offense. ESPECIALLY for a top 10 pick. If Spiller was that good, then Chan would have NO PROBLEMS getting him into the lineup. Spiller's obviously struggling in all aspects of the game. From running the ball, to seeing holes, to pass blocking, to returning kicks. I havent seen him succeed in anything.

You made a comment how you need OT's to run outside? Not always true. You can always run counter plays and pull our Guards to run around and our Guards I think are definately athletic and good enough to do that.

You guys wanna talk about RB's taking time to develop with a crppy o-line? Explain Jahvid Best please with the Lions. As a rookie, he's been AWESOME at making things happen and receiving. He's shown PROMISE even though his numbers arent mindblowing. He's shown me and the NFL something. Spiller? What's he shown? Why did it take the Lions this short of a time to develop Best? They had QB problems too. You're to tell me that the Lions have a better o-line than we do? Why? I'll tell u why. Jahvid Best is legit and Spiller? Well. Not really.

Jahvid Best 800 yds from scrimmage and 5 TDs. I'm not even gonna post Spillers sorry azz numbers cuz its just freakin EMBARASSING.

- So scheme is Spillers fault?

- How many carries does Javid Best get?

A RUNNING BACK NEEDS CARRIES IN ORDER TO BE PRODUCTIVE

Elite talents demand playing time with eye-popping performances. You think AP and CJ wouldn't have beaten out Fred Jackson? Only disappointing backs have excuses made about not being able to pick up the blitz. Nobody cares that Chris Johnson is a tiny guy that can't stone blitzers. They are too busy boggling over his obviously electric talent, not talking about how he needs to work on his vision.

Elite talents demand playing time with eye-popping performances. You think AP and CJ wouldn't have beaten out Fred Jackson? Only disappointing backs have excuses made about not being able to pick up the blitz. Nobody cares that Chris Johnson is a tiny guy that can't stone blitzers. They are too busy boggling over his obviously electric talent, not talking about how he needs to work on his vision.

CJohnson and Peterson are both electric talents because they have great vision. They see, they go. Same reason Leodis would be a superior KR to Spiller if he could hold onto the ball. Same reason Freddy runs so much more effectively. I'm telling you, if you give Freddy's vision to CJ, he'd be hitting home runs ALL DAY. But, alas.

I guess we'll have to settle for Spiller's insane athleticism and potential. Ho Hum.

Also, the R.Bush comparison is close to apt, but I'd say Spiller had a LOT less pressure on him to succeed.

jesus h. christ - it's year one!

wtf is wrong with some of you?

Matthews is a LB, the poster you're jesus h. christing probably knew that even if you didn't. Or do you believe that he proposes replacing Spiller with a LB?

Also, the R.Bush comparison is close to apt, but I'd say Spiller had a LOT less pressure on him to succeed.

How does that relate to his potential production on the field?

oh wait, it doesn't

You're right, if this Bills season has proven one thing, it's that a young player's performance is never vulnerable to a lapse in focus.

So, if Spiller were under the intense scrutiny as Bush was his production would be worse? But he isn't under the same scrutiny so we're lucky because we're getting Spiller without the scrutiny? And scrutiny=lapse in focus.

thanks, i think i've got it now

Whoa there tuff guy. You didn't put Spiller's numbers up because they were embarassing, or because they undercut your rant? Spiller's per carry is almost a yard better. That would seem to indicate that opportunity IS an issue.

As for your HC talk, if you have a micro manager such as Chan who does everything including designs and calls the plays, his lack of time really can become an issue. Despite him being a HC and having other coaches (whose roles and abilities are limited, because Chan is very hands on) there are only so many hours in a day that he can work. Go to any high pressure office and you will witness such dynamics play out. Powerful micro managers often lead to situations where talent languishes. I don't think this will be a long term problem, but in his first season Chan is a little over his head.

But heck let's ignore all that, declare him a bust, and flame anyone who disagrees.

There are so many things wrong with your first sentence that I realize I probably shouldn't respond.

I don't buy the QB issue being the reason Chan hasn't developed Spiller, but as a first year coach with a QB controversy and a new defensive scheme, getting your #3 RB ready isn't job 1. But I don't think coaching neglect is the reason for Spiller's slow learning curve.

Danny Woodhead is a much inferior player to CJ. If you don't agree propose a trade and see how fast Bellichick says yes. Your comment is at best a criticism of Chan compared to Bellichick, and not CJ's fault. I have a problem with how CJ has been used and not used enough, and I also haven't been blown away with his 48 carries or 20 receptions and their results. I think he plays less because Fred is good and because he isn't ready to pick up blitzes as well as Fred in our pass happy offense.

I agree. Better tackles and a better team make it easier to run, but I don't think our line is the fault of Spiller not getting a yellow jacket this season.

Jahvid Best. Hmmm...off to a great start, but he is averaging 3.3 per carry to Spiller's 4.1. And certainly he has gotten more touches as a receiver and a back, but I think that is opportunity and not just ability. And Best came to Buffalo and lit us up to the tune of 17 carries for 35 yards and four catches for four yards. But again, nobody with football knowledge would give up Spiller to get Best. It is just a product of the situation.

I am right along with you that Spiller's contribution has been disappointing, but I think he will be fine and we will be very happy to have him a Bill. I guess we have had too many Williams, McCargo, Maybin's in our history for fans to be patient and reasonable. But I am getting impatient with Chan more than CJ.

Theres so many things wrong with this post its just embarassing.

First, you say Chan didn't have time to develop Spiller...

From what I've seen from Danny Woodhead, is that he's been a more physical RB than Spiller AND a better receiver than Spiller.

You guys wanna talk about RB's taking time to develop with a crppy o-line? Explain Jahvid Best please with the Lions.

It's not that Spiller isn't talented or can't play, just that it's turned out to be a wasted pick. The fault is not his, it's on Nix.

Wasted pick? After 10 games in a going-nowhere rebuilding year? Let's try being a little more rational and use terms like "disappointing performance". You don't draft a player for year 1 contributions. You draft a player based on what you think you can get out of him in 5+ years. I wanted a lot more out of CJ this year, and am not really happy with Chan for not finding a way, but it isn't a wasted pick based on what happens through his first 10 games.

Let's run him out of town quick!

Edited by Koufax

So, if Spiller were under the intense scrutiny as Bush was his production would be worse? But he isn't under the same scrutiny so we're lucky because we're getting Spiller without the scrutiny? And scrutiny=lapse in focus.

thanks, i think i've got it now

OH, forget it.

in a 14 game season, forgot that part