Easley

I see alot of talk about easley at WR, but i honestly dont know a thing about him. Please dont burn me, i just keep reading about his "return" and finally i gotta know what all the talk is about

He turned heads at camp but strained his knee badly enough that Chan didn't think it was worth holding a roster spot for him so he went on IR. From what I hear he's healed 100% But right now he'll have to be awesome to crack the WR lineup now.

PTR

Easley looked very good in camp, big picture he is the guy that will be paired with Steve Johnson going forward (assuming he develops as they hope he will). Evans will be on the roster only 1-2 more years (I think the Bills would gladly deal him in the offseason for a 3rd rounder, but no one will pay that). Easley's 6'3" 210lbs and can flat out run. If he can develop and David Nelson continues to progress the Bills could be looking at one of the NFL's best receiving corps in a couple of years. Gone are the days of the mighty midget lineup and constnatly trying to find a big receiver. They will have a starting three that are big and fast. As it stands already, I don't see it making any sense for the Bills to use any draft picks next year on WRs as they have some decent potential 6 deep right now. Johnson, Evans, Parrish, Easley, Nelson, Jones.

Given their mini logjam a WR I think it might even make sense to try to convert David Nelson to a TE. He's big as it is and would seem to have the frame to add more weight. If Easley looks good and healthy next year in minicamps I think the Chan gang should consider this option as the current TEs are wreched.

Easley looked very good in camp, big picture he is the guy that will be paired with Steve Johnson going forward (assuming he develops as they hope he will). Evans will be on the roster only 1-2 more years (I think the Bills would gladly deal him in the offseason for a 3rd rounder, but no one will pay that). Easley's 6'3" 210lbs and can flat out run. If he can develop and David Nelson continues to progress the Bills could be looking at one of the NFL's best receiving corps in a couple of years. Gone are the days of the mighty midget lineup and constnatly trying to find a big receiver. They will have a starting three that are big and fast. As it stands already, I don't see it making any sense for the Bills to use any draft picks next year on WRs as they have some decent potential 6 deep right now. Johnson, Evans, Parrish, Easley, Nelson, Jones.

Given their mini logjam a WR I think it might even make sense to try to convert David Nelson to a TE. He's big as it is and would seem to have the frame to add more weight. If Easley looks good and healthy next year in minicamps I think the Chan gang should consider this option as the current TEs are wreched.

Good assessment.

With Chan's offense it seems like you can pick up a WR off the street and they could be productive, or the Bills just got really lucky with these crop of WRs.

However drafting a Play Making TE or WR in 2012 might be a good idea.

So he'd be one of our fastest WR's ?

We will need a burner to open up the field (Evans's role now) for Johnson, Nelson, Jones, who seem to be more possesion recvr's.

Combine results for WRs: (Kyle Williams can move!)

Ford, Jacoby 4.28

Price, Taylor 4.41

Sanders, Emmanuel 4.41

Tate, Golden 4.42

Banks, Brandon 4.43

Williams, Kyle 4.43

Easley, Marcus 4.46

Edited by dgrid

He turned heads at camp but strained his knee badly enough that Chan didn't think it was worth holding a roster spot for him so he went on IR. From what I hear he's healed 100% But right now he'll have to be awesome to crack the WR lineup now.

PTR

He could hop along on one leg and beat out Lee.

Well I gotta say this, they nailed Jones and Nelson as UDFA, so image what they must have seen in Easley to spend a draft pick!! I thought I read he had a great camp, will be interested to see what happens with him next year. Scounting Report said he was a great special teamer...

Well, let's keep this in perspective.

The Bills also spent a 2nd round pick on James Hardy, and we know how that turned out.

Well, let's keep this in perspective.

The Bills also spent a 2nd round pick on James Hardy, and we know how that turned out.

That wasnt Gailey/Nix. Think the point was that Gailey/Nix have an eye for recv'rs

Calm down, fellas.

Evans is on the roster at LEAST through 2011.

To say we have a receiver in Easley ready to unseat him is wild and baseless optimism run amok.

No doubt it is optimism, but it wouldn't be surprising one iota if the Bills shop their big ticket decoy or just plain pass on paying him the remainder of his contract. It's not like all NFL teams don't routinely pass on paying out the backend of heavy contracts and frankly he isn't worth his sticker shock. See Dockery, Derrick.

No doubt it is optimism, but it wouldn't be surprising one iota if the Bills shop their big ticket decoy or just plain pass on paying him the remainder of his contract. It's not like all NFL teams don't routinely pass on paying out the backend of heavy contracts and frankly he isn't worth his sticker shock. See Dockery, Derrick.

I had to pick myself up off the floor after I happened upon this scenario: ME tempering YOUR optimism? No, it couldn't be. Then you went and compared Evans to Dockery, and all was right with the universe.

Edited by The Big Cat

I had to pick myself up off the floor after I happened upon this scenario: ME tempering YOUR optimism? No, it couldn't be. Then you went and compared Evans to Dockery, and all was right with the universe.

I was not comparing Dockery to Evans. I was comparing contract situations. You stated that the Bills would keep Evans in no uncertain terms, but the Bills have unequivocally shown that they can and will purge big contracts. Hate to break it to you but Evans isn't a superstar, All-Pro, nor even the centerpiece of this offense. It's not that hard to understand.

lee's final two years of salary are at about 3 mil per so i could see him going for a holdout but more than likely the bills extending him big cause he is a character guy

IF's and But's and candy and NUTS.

LOL....cmon dude he was a one year wonder on a marginal D1 program, I wish for the best also but did he even play in a pre-season? Lets wait and see when the bullets fly for real before we start trading Lee...WTF

lee's final two years of salary are at about 3 mil per so i could see him going for a holdout but more than likely the bills extending him big cause he is a character guy

Actually $4M or thereabouts, which gives them the trade ability, perhaps. See my original post. They could keep him, but he's going to be 30 and they are rebuilding with a youth movement. Like I said, it wouldn't be surprising at all (well, it would amaze Big Kitty) if the new regime moves on.

PS: As far as a character guy, you're right. OTOH, Lee doesn't suck enough to be extended like Kelsay. B-)

But the remainder of Evans contract isn't that restrictive:

2010: $5.4 million (+ $3 million roster bonus), 2011-2012: $3.025 million (+ $1 million roster bonuses), 2013: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=26

So he'd be one of our fastest WR's ?

We will need a burner to open up the field (Evans's role now) for Johnson, Nelson, Jones, who seem to be more possesion recvr's.

Combine results for WRs: (Kyle Williams can move!)

Ford, Jacoby 4.28

Price, Taylor 4.41

Sanders, Emmanuel 4.41

Tate, Golden 4.42

Banks, Brandon 4.43

Williams, Kyle 4.43

Easley, Marcus 4.46

I wouldn't put Stevie in possession receiver territory. No,he's not a burner, but he ain't slow. He gets open deep fairly often. He dropped the ball, but

that route he ran to get open in OT? Top shelf. Good angles and speed. He was running away from Taylor and Clark.

LOL....cmon dude he was a one year wonder on a marginal D1 program, I wish for the best also but did he even play in a pre-season? Lets wait and see when the bullets fly for real before we start trading Lee...WTF

I did qualify my comments rather clearly by saying that this was based on the assumption that he became all they hoped he'd be. I know looking great in camp isn't everything, but it does usually go a long way. I can think of a number players on the bills who weren't drafted the highest, were off the radar and made a name for themselves in their first camp with the team, which eventually translated into on field success. In terms of current players that list I offer Steve Johnson, Race Parish, George Wilson, and Kyle Williams.

I don't know if Easley will be added to that list, but that is the plan for him.

Character guys don't have alligator arms.

Not only is he big and fast with a productive mini camp until he got hurt, but he was rated one of the top three blocking WR's. Considering that we probably won't resign Roscoe, it is only natural to believe that he will be on the Bill's opening day 2011 roster (assuming no lock out and barring injury).

He was not even on the team until his sophomore year. He has improved drastically in only two years. I have never seen him play, but from what I heard he has great acceleration that helps him get open. He is a very raw talent that could be great. Time will tell.

What I always wonder about guys like this, is they put him on IR which means we'll keep our rights to him. But are they allowed to help/coach him to get better once he's back at 100% with an eye on the future or isnt he even allowed inside the bills facilities untill otas start? And if they arent allowed do they run some kind of stealth program outside the Bills facilities to support guys like this?

Not only is he big and fast with a productive mini camp until he got hurt, but he was rated one of the top three blocking WR's. Considering that we probably won't resign Roscoe, it is only natural to believe that he will be on the Bill's opening day 2011 roster (assuming no lock out and barring injury).

Dick is gone, Gailey uses Parrish and likes him. Roscoe will be offered a new deal, real question is will he take it. I'm putting my money on yes, he'll take it, because he is finally getting the time he wanted.

There are plenty of pro bowl players without high draft positions and alternative routes into a succesfull career, draft position and college production says nothing if it doesnt convert to the NFL. It works both ways, D1 guys over achieving and making it versus first round draft guys flunking.

I hope they trade evans before the draft, he has never impressed me even when he was catching bombs because that was/is all he did. I like Nelson a lot and TE might be an option if the other Nelson doesn't get it together.

What I always wonder about guys like this, is they put him on IR which means we'll keep our rights to him. But are they allowed to help/coach him to get better once he's back at 100% with an eye on the future or isnt he even allowed inside the bills facilities untill otas start? And if they arent allowed do they run some kind of stealth program outside the Bills facilities to support guys like this?

Based on the Vince Young nonsense, it appears that IR players are allowed in the facility and allowed to go to team meetings. I say this because the Team had to explicit exclude Vince Young from team meetings which is what caused the mini-stir.

I doubt the NFLPA allows them to participate in practice, however they may be allowed to add route running and juggs machine as part of his "rehab."

I did qualify my comments rather clearly by saying that this was based on the assumption that he became all they hoped he'd be. I know looking great in camp isn't everything, but it does usually go a long way. I can think of a number players on the bills who weren't drafted the highest, were off the radar and made a name for themselves in their first camp with the team, which eventually translated into on field success. In terms of current players that list I offer Steve Johnson, Race Parish, George Wilson, and Kyle Williams.

I don't know if Easley will be added to that list, but that is the plan for him.

Yup, just ask Trent.

Roscoe was a 2nd round pick, hardly a late rounder who worked hard to turn heads in camp. A pure luxury pick, the type that made many call for the head of TD.

You're right on some things, I just don't know why you'd want to dump the current core in favor of the unknown. Lee is actually affordable from here on out, so keeping him makes fiscal sense. Remember, Stevie doesn't have 1/2 his stats w/o Lee.

Also, despite strong reports early on in TC, I remember hearing quite a bit about Easley and his inability to hold onto the ball. That might be a sore subject to some around here of late...

The central problem I had with the Kelsay contract extension had nothing to do with the Bills ability to cut players. You're being an idiot.

Hey, we've gotten a few good games out of him lately (although the Big Ben whiff count was 3, he did get a big goal line sack late). So by your logic, if he becomes expendable, given The Bills' rich history of cutting ties with players, there's nothing to concern ourselves with.

Yup, just ask Trent.

Roscoe was a 2nd round pick, hardly a late rounder who worked hard to turn heads in camp. A pure luxury pick, the type that made many call for the head of TD.

You're right on some things, I just don't know why you'd want to dump the current core in favor of the unknown. Lee is actually affordable from here on out, so keeping him makes fiscal sense. Remember, Stevie doesn't have 1/2 his stats w/o Lee.

Also, despite strong reports early on in TC, I remember hearing quite a bit about Easley and his inability to hold onto the ball. That might be a sore subject to some around here of late...

I refute the idea that Lee Evans has as big effect on Stevie's number as Lee Evans is given credit. However Lee Evans does have a positive effect, just not as big as the myth claims. It makes no sense to move Lee Evans early (unless someone offered a 1st or a player like James Harrison or Lamar Woodley which is not likely at all.)

Lee is relatively cheap, 3-4 mil going forward, and the offense is working. No Sense in creating a position of need that does not exist.

Is Lee a truly productive, #1 receiver; no. Is Lee a good WR; yes.

Lee Evans is a candidate for letting walk away after the contract expires.

In 2012 you draft a stud WR, and you let Lee Evans be motivated by upcoming Free Agency to put up big numbers and ride this hopefully to a 2012-2013 season playoff berth.

You get a year to work out the kinks with your 2012 draft pick then you let Lee go to whomever is the highest bidder, assuming you extend Stevie in the 2011 off season. If I were a GM that would be the strategy I would take at WR.

Easley, David Nelson, Jones & Roscoe can all fill in and complete for the slot/3rd/4th positions in 2011 camp. I think Chan likes Roscoe's "Water Bug" ability and knows how to use it, if Roscoe can stay healthy. However if the Chargers WR corps are any indication of Nix personal ability something tells me, he may take a WR in round 3-5 every year, just to see if any of them pan out. Worst case you add some special teamers, as Special Teams is made up in large part by depth WRs, TEs and LBs.

Easley is a huge unkownn and will get to complete for a roster spot in camp.

Not forgetting that . . .

. . .With Chan's offense it seems like you can pick up a WR off the street and they could be productive, or the Bills just got really lucky with this crop of WRs.

However drafting a Play Making TE or WR in 2012 might be a good idea.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Hey, we've gotten a few good games out of him lately (although the Big Ben whiff count was 3, he did get a big goal line sack late). So by your logic, if he becomes expendable, given The Bills' rich history of cutting ties with players, there's nothing to concern ourselves with.

First, it's clear that you are no longer arguing your original point.

Second, I shouldn't have to spell it out to you, but I guess I have to. There is a big difference between giving a guy a contract extension mere weeks into a new regime, after planning to change the defensive scheme, after seeing the guy play abysmally in that scheme and be a gigantic liability, and giving a player a season to adapt and perform in a new system and making a decision that his production, age, and salary together with some growing depth at the position makes the player expendable.

Please continue to make up straw-men arguments though and try to put words in my mouth and spew nonsense. Those actions really bolster your reputation as a subject expert and logician.

PS: Weren't you one of those that claimed that there was no way that the Bills would be worse this year than last year? You must be pretty stoked to see the Bills run the table. When that happens, I'll have a smile on my face, but it won't be because you were right for once.