What were the Bills thinking?

I'm happy the Bills won, but I have one major B word. With seconds left in the game, Buffalo takes a timeout. Lions stud receiver Charles Johnson has been thrown to numerous times on this last series as Detroit desperately needs to score. The Bills come out of the timeout and send linebacker Paul Posluszny to cover Johnson one-on-one. Result? TD.

Really? A linebacker on their best wide receiver knowing they needed a touchdown? The D played great all day, however that is poor coaching. That mismatch that could have been a disaster.

Thoughts? My apologizes for the repost of the topic under fire George Edwards.

Edited by Catholic Guilt

I was out all day and we went to a bar for a quick dinner, the Bills game was on, Buffalo was up 14-6 with only seconds to play. I yelled holy **** we're going to win. Next play touchdown Lions, and me saying WTF is Poz doing covering Johnson on a potential tying TD? Thank God for the overthrow on the conversion, but that defense on the TD was terrible.

I was out all day and we went to a bar for a quick dinner, the Bills game was on, Buffalo was up 14-6 with only seconds to play. I yelled holy **** we're going to win. Next play touchdown Lions, and me saying WTF is Poz doing covering Johnson on a potential tying TD? Thank God for the overthrow on the conversion, but that defense on the TD was terrible.

What killed me is they burned a timeout!

That bothered me, too. It was 4th & 2 - maybe they didn't feel they had the right personnel on the field, but you don't give the offense a chance to think about the play. When you end up having a LB cover Calvin Johnson, someone wasn't paying attention or didn't call the right adjustments.

In reading a Detroit quote, it sounds like Detroit designed that play to do exactly what it did, isolate CJ on a LB. They were saying it was a mastermind type of play designed by their O-coordinator. So it sounds to me like the BIlls D was severely outcoached on that one play. Seems like the Bills should have recognized where CJ was on the field but its the NFL ....and sometimes their play is better than what the defense is calling.

i'd like to know where whitner was supposed to be on that play. he came flying over after the catch was made. he has to see that matchup and find calvin johnson. but yes, it is really hard to figure out why poz was twenty yards away from the line of scrimmage with johnson.

there was another receiver to the right, though looking at the replay the receiver to the right that whitner was looking at ended up running a short pattern .. so yeah, whitner probably should have had his focus on megatron.

In reading a Detroit quote, it sounds like Detroit designed that play to do exactly what it did, isolate CJ on a LB. They were saying it was a mastermind type of play designed by their O-coordinator. So it sounds to me like the BIlls D was severely outcoached on that one play. Seems like the Bills should have recognized where CJ was on the field but its the NFL ....and sometimes their play is better than what the defense is calling.

Seemed to me like that happened the whole game. CJ playing the slot being guarded by a LB. It's too easy for teams to get the matchup they want vs our d. Time for us to cut our 2nd guy named Edwards this year. He's bad.

I was upset that the bills called t.o. it does nothing but benefit the offense so they can get in exactly the right play and takes the pressure of the play clock out of the equation. Also seriously who didn't think the ball was going to calvin johnson?!

that was a complete cluster...That's on Gailey.

No, it's not.

Chan said himself that he has no in-game involvement with the defense. If you start the argument there, we can. But the meltdown on that particular play had nothing to do with Gailey.

I wish they'd go back to doing things the way they did under Fewell--Leodis. Yes coach? You're guarding Calvin Johnson today. Sounds good. Everyone got that? LEODIS is marking Calvin Johnson today.

i'd like to know where whitner was supposed to be on that play. he came flying over after the catch was made. he has to see that matchup and find calvin johnson. but yes, it is really hard to figure out why poz was twenty yards away from the line of scrimmage with johnson.

there was another receiver to the right, though looking at the replay the receiver to the right that whitner was looking at ended up running a short pattern .. so yeah, whitner probably should have had his focus on megatron.

They were playing a cover 2. Wheer the Safeties have the 2 "deep" halves of the field.He played that down exactly as he is supposed to. The underneath coverage is split into 4 quarters across the mid range of the field. The Underneath coverage is the one that blew the play.

I love how the "mastermind type" play was simply putting CJ in the slot.

It's mind boggling why they wouldn't have one guy (like McKelvin) following him on every play of the entire game.

That seems to be a trend with the Bills, no matter who is playing on defense, or coordinating the defense...it seems whenenver they call a timeout before a key play, they get burned. Been going on for years...