God, does this team need some Luck.

Is anyone else watching this kid right now? He looks like Peyton Manning out there. How ironic is it that his name is Luck, and we need him, and we're the most snakebitten sports franchise in sports history? I'm starting to think we should go 0-16 next year, and the year after, until this kid comes out. He is gonna be special.

we need some MOORE help

we should take a MALLETT to the rest of afc east

but seriously... i'm flipping back and forth from ESPN (mallett) to ABC (luck)

and i am very impressed with both, this is the first game i have seen luck play and i am very happy.

if we have our pick of the litter for QBs and our scouts/Ralph/GM/overdorf and company etc..mess this up i will lose my mind.

Is anyone else watching this kid right now? He looks like Peyton Manning out there. How ironic is it that his name is Luck, and we need him, and we're the most snakebitten sports franchise in sports history? I'm starting to think we should go 0-16 next year, and the year after, until this kid comes out. He is gonna be special.

If we could only be so "Luck"y.

I sure hope this kid finds his way into a Bills uniform.

Franchise QB...enough said.

I have watched a good number on Stanford games this season, and I swear he is getting better every game. He just looks more and more confident. He even looks like a pro handing the ball off.

I really think he has pulled himself above the other QBs in NCAA (other than the Newton phenomenon).

I have seen a few of both Luck's and Mallett's games, and I've come to a conclusion. This is 1998 all over again. Luck is Manning. Mallett is Leaf. Period. If we have the 1st pick and Luck comes out, let's not over think this decision.

I have watched a good number on Stanford games this season, and I swear he is getting better every game. He just looks more and more confident. He even looks like a pro handing the ball off.

I really think he has pulled himself above the other QBs in NCAA (other than the Newton phenomenon).

I don't know if you're saying Newton is the better pro prospect or the better college player. I personally think that Luck's pro career is going to dwarf that of Newton's.

I have seen a few of both Luck's and Mallett's games, and I've come to a conclusion. This is 1998 all over again. Luck is Manning. Mallett is Leaf. Period. If we have the 1st pick and Luck comes out, let's not over think this decision.

I don't know if you're saying Newton is the better pro prospect or the better college player. I personally think that Luck's pro career is going to dwarf that of Newton's.

I would also add Moore into that discussion as a wildcard.

seriously, i am literally having anxiety over the Bills picking the wrong QB

The comparison is apt. There is much to Ponder...

Im on board with you.

Just that all the attention of QBs has been focused on Newton due to Auburn's record and his sick stats.... and now the contraversy.

The comparison is apt. There is much to Ponder...

I haven't seen Ponder much at all, the one game I saw early in the season he looked AWFUL. I'm not going to judge him on one performance, I would love to hear people's opinion on him if they've seen him at any length. He seems to me like a guy that could be had in the 2nd or 3rd round from what I've heard...

I think it's amazing how highly touted Locker was all last year and even the beginning of this year and now he isn't even mentioned in the discussion!

I think all that attention was based on potential and hype, he has yet at any point shown to me to be a QB at the next level. He struggles mightily in games vs tough competition, and that always turns me off about college QBs.

i'm flipping back and forth from ESPN (mallett) to ABC (luck)

and i am very impressed with both

Same here...

Honestly watching these 2 I don't see how The Bills could go wrong with either...Mallett's arm is ridiculous though...And I know Mallett takes a lot of flack for being immobile, but I think he's shown the ability to move around in the pocket just enough vs. SC's Pass Rush...

I'm not saying he has the same ability, but for whatever reason Luck reminds me of Peyton Manning...Maybe it's his footwork, I'm not sure...

I swear I don't care...just get one of them...It's glaringly obvious these 2 elevate the Play of their teammates...I'm not saying either is going to be the next Manning cause let's face it, it's a crap shoot no matter what...But it will give The Bills an excitement from a Player coming in they have not had since #12...And right now that's PLENTY enough for me... B-)

This is 1998 all over again. Luck is Manning. Mallett is Leaf. Period.

Your stance is quite strong, but I am going to respectfully disagree.

Admittedly, my record wrt qbs isn't great; I pay more attention to blockers. That said, Mallett is the most talented QB I have seen in decades. He makes throws that do not seem possible for humans to make. He comes with risk, but he seems more suited for Buffalo than any QB I have ever seen.

I would like to watch Mallett throw 40 yard square outs, 70 yard bombs, and 25 yard check downs to Buffalo Bills receivers. Sounds good, no? :thumbsup:

seriously there is a very good chance Mallet/ Luck at least 1 of them will be a future pro-bowler. they just seem to have so much talent and potential. i just hope to heck the bills choose wisely.

if you think things are bad now... imagine the mentality here if we have Ryan Leaf v. 2.0 for the next 5 years. good God.

I think it's amazing how highly touted Locker was all last year and even the beginning of this year and now he isn't even mentioned in the discussion!

I'm hoping that Luck sees this and it motivates him to come out. It's been said that Locker was possibly the number one pick if he came out last year. Surely, top three - now he won't be top three rounds probably.

I also wonder if the labor problems would make Luck decide to come out, before a rookie salary cap.

I think those are our only two hopes with him (I guess a third one is that Harbaugh leaves and he says screw it). I know his father (Oliver Luck - former NFL backup and now WVU AD) has said that he should stay in school, and I think Andrew has said as much.

I'm hoping that Luck sees this and it motivates him to come out. It's been said that Locker was possibly the number one pick if he came out last year. Surely, top three - now he won't be top three rounds probably.

I also wonder if the labor problems would make Luck decide to come out, before a rookie salary cap.

I think those are our only two hopes with him (I guess a third one is that Harbaugh leaves and he says screw it). I know his father (Oliver Luck - former NFL backup and now WVU AD) has said that he should stay in school, and I think Andrew has said as much.

an example of this for us on a more personal level, is look at Brain Brohm's college career and his decision to stick around...

an example of this for us on a more personal level, is look at Brain Brohm's college career and his decision to stick around...

Yes, exactly - another great example. It worked out for Manning to stay in, but Brohm, Locker, Leinert not so much....I wonder what other examples there are of top QBs that had the option to stay in or come out and what the outcome was. Bradford could have stayed for this year, too.

In basketball, I like it when they stay in, but for football, where they are so vulnerable to a career changing injury, I would take the money when it's good.

as as long as we are the worst record with a team that needs a QB. as long as we are in the top 2-3 we should be set

Carolina is taking a QB. Browns won't pass on Luck. Cowboys could even take Luck and try to trade Romo. We have the strongest strength of schedule right now so we wouldn't finish ahead of any of these teams if we all finished with the same record.

Edited by Bangarang

we need some MOORE help

we should take a MALLETT to the rest of afc east

but seriously... i'm flipping back and forth from ESPN (mallett) to ABC (luck)

and i am very impressed with both, this is the first game i have seen luck play and i am very happy.

if we have our pick of the litter for QBs and our scouts/Ralph/GM/overdorf and company etc..mess this up i will lose my mind.

50-50 they pick a CB or Safety

I've watched Luck and I have to disagree with all the hype. He doesn't have any zip on his passes or great accuracy. He just seems to loft his deep ball to a wide open receiver deep which is frequent or dump it in the flat. When he's pressured, he makes bad decisions which could easily be int's. I think he's great when he has to run and he seems to have confidence of a leader, but other than that I just don't see it.

Somebody tell me where I'm wrong.

50-50 they pick a CB or Safety

I disagree... Jauron is gone.

no way Gailey / Nix / Whaley would stand for that

on the other hand if Jauron was here, he would be creaming himself to have his pick of the litter for ANY secondary player in college he wanted he could have. scary thought

I've watched Luck and I have to disagree with all the hype. He doesn't have any zip on his passes or great accuracy. He just seems to loft his deep ball to a wide open receiver deep which is frequent or dump it in the flat. When he's pressured, he makes bad decisions which could easily be int's. I think he's great when he has to run and he seems to have confidence of a leader, but other than that I just don't see it.

This was the first full game i have watched Luck play, he seemed to check down more than i would like. i thought he had great awareness, decision making and pocket presence, and fair accuracy but lacked some throwing velocity and seemed too willing to check to the RB in the flat.

Admittedly, my record wrt qbs isn't great; I pay more attention to blockers. That said, Mallett is the most talented QB I have seen in decades. He makes throws that do not seem possible for humans to make. He comes with risk, but he seems more suited for Buffalo than any QB I have ever seen.

I would like to watch Mallett throw 40 yard square outs, 70 yard bombs, and 25 yard check downs to Buffalo Bills receivers. Sounds good, no? :thumbsup:

Mallets 40 yard out would be 10 yards wide of his target.

That loft you speak of is called touch. The Bills haven't had a QB with it in 15+years so thats prob why you aren't used to seeing it. But when he needs to rope one in he does, I saw a handful of wide side throws tonight he darted in. As for his accuracy, I'm sorry but its stellar, near perfect ball placement, coupled with incredible anticipation. Maybe you thought he was in white tonight?

Now I dont mean to knock Mallet, but I dont think its even close. Luck is by far and away the best QB out there. Locker blows nuts, and Mallet is meh with a huge arm. Ponder has nothing to envy, and Luck is incredible. He amazes in every category you cannot measure. On top of that he is accurate as hell, 6'4' and 230 with way above average athleticism with intelligence to boot. Mallets back up has performed as well as he has, his offense made Brohm a top 10 pick consideration, and he just doesn't have the accuracy(ball placement) to succeed in the NFL.

Knowing the Bills draft history as I/We do, I would trade every pick it took to move up the 1 or 2 spots it would take to draft Luck (in the rare event we aren't picking #1 overall in April). This guy is at the same level Manning and Matt Ryan were at when they came out, and IMO will have the same kidn of instant success/great long career that those two are having/will have.

PS I agree with the poster who wanted to add haurbaugh as HC - he was my first choice when he hired Gailey (harbaugh, it was rumored, never even interviewed but they offered him the job anyways, and he rejected)

Edited by Thoner7

I TOTALLY AGREE that Ryan Mallett has superb arm strength. But that is the only superior trait that Mallett has over Luck. Luck is extremely accurate (watch the first quarter of tonight's game again and just look at some of the windows he puts that ball in) and has amazing touch on his long balls. He is a very capable runner, which is a huge bonus given our offensive line struggles. He has incredible heart. A few weeks ago he ran down a CB down the sideline after being intercepted, had he not made that play it would have been a score. Tonight he was the lead blocker on a reverse field sweep and threw a block (well more got in the way of the defender) that led the RB to a 20-25 yard gain. He made an exceptionally athletic throw from a near sprint in the 3rd quarter that was right on the money on 3rd down that got them a 1st down. I've just seen him play 4 or 5 games this year and each time he just reaffirms what I've previously thought, only he adds to it. If he is available for us, I think we're fools to pass him up.

You're proving my point. Mallett is a thrower. Luck is a passer.

Mallett looks like a freak of nature throwing that ball. So did Jeff George.

Edited by machinegun12

he seemed to check down more than i would like. i thought he had great awareness, decision making and pocket presence, and fair accuracy but lacked some throwing velocity and seemed too willing to check to the RB in the flat.

I watched the game and will have to respectfully disagree. First, how can you be sure that the check down wasn't the play called. I counted a handful of plays that were meant to be thrown out into the flat. There is absolutely nothing wrong with short passes, they keep cornerbacks and safties honest, so that a receiver can eventually burn them for a big play, which happened a couple times. Secondly when your #1 receiver has 9 catches for 165 yards, the QB is not checking down an awful lot. Third Andrew Luck averaged 9.2 yards per throw. Not really an average you would expect from a QB checking down.

And fourth, and I think the most important point, dude its college ball, not the NFL, remember that when trying to be sooo critical of QB play. He doesn't have the best of the best at WR, who can get open for him. Every analyst seems to be an agreement that he is the man, the best there is in college football. Lets not be too judgemental and just enjoy watching him play and hope that we get to see him in a Bills uni next year.

:thumbsup:

I watched the game and will have to respectfully disagree. First, how can you be sure that the check down wasn't the play called. I counted a handful of plays that were meant to be thrown out into the flat. There is absolutely nothing wrong with short passes, they keep cornerbacks and safties honest, so that a receiver can eventually burn them for a big play, which happened a couple times. Secondly when your #1 receiver has 9 catches for 165 yards, the QB is not checking down an awful lot. Third Andrew Luck averaged 9.2 yards per throw. Not really an average you would expect from a QB checking down.

And fourth, and I think the most important point, dude its college ball, not the NFL, remember that when trying to be sooo critical of QB play. He doesn't have the best of the best at WR, who can get open for him. Every analyst seems to be an agreement that he is the man, the best there is in college football. Lets not be too judgemental and just enjoy watching him play and hope that we get to see him in a Bills uni next year.

Perfect. :thumbsup:

I TOTALLY AGREE that Ryan Mallett has superb arm strength. But that is the only superior trait that Mallett has over Luck. Luck is extremely accurate (watch the first quarter of tonight's game again and just look at some of the windows he puts that ball in) and has amazing touch on his long balls. He is a very capable runner, which is a huge bonus given our offensive line struggles. He has incredible heart. A few weeks ago he ran down a CB down the sideline after being intercepted, had he not made that play it would have been a score. Tonight he was the lead blocker on a reverse field sweep and threw a block (well more got in the way of the defender) that led the RB to a 20-25 yard gain. He made an exceptionally athletic throw from a near sprint in the 3rd quarter that was right on the money on 3rd down that got them a 1st down. I've just seen him play 4 or 5 games this year and each time he just reaffirms what I've previously thought, only he adds to it. If he is available for us, I think we're fools to pass him up.

You're proving my point. Mallett is a thrower. Luck is a passer.

Mallett looks like a freak of nature throwing that ball. So did Jeff George.

Let me tell you good sir, it is quite refreshing to have an intelligent poster adding to the discussion.

As for the bolded line, I love it. I use it often myself. Luck is the guy.

Thats a fair assesment. I have only seen a small amount of Luck so far this year and definately want to make a point to watch more of him this year before i form any type of firm opinions on him.

hopefully he declares!

as as long as we are the worst record with a team that needs a QB. as long as we are in the top 2-3 we should be set

Did you forget that a team drafting after the bills with QB needs, could always trade up(assuming the Bills don't end up with the #1 overall pick)? :doh: