Ok....here is a new question. Who would you take

Scenario - we actally do end up picking 1st in next years draft. Luck comes out, the bills trip over themselves getting the card to the podium to take him.

Now we we have the QB position locked down pretty well with Luck and Fitz.

Remember....being that bad also means you pick at the top of every round and so there should be some very good talent at that 2nd pick and even the 3rd pick at the top of the round.

Who do you take with that 2nd pick?

Unless you're getting crazy bad value, you've gotta go with the best OT on the board at that point. If you're lucky, it's a guy with a 1st-round grade. If there was a huge run on OTs in the first round, and there's just no way you can justify the top guy left on your board, then you go with whatever value fills a need. Which could mean TE, DT (if you're sticking with a 4-3), NT, DE, OLB, or ILB. One of those positions will definitely have a legit player.

Just to chime in with my own thoughts after I created this thread

- I think it really depends on what we do in Free Agency.....I think that Tamba Hali would make a GREAT free agent addition this team....and if you got him then maybe you dont have to use that 2nd pick on a LB

- Also there are some pretty good TE's that might be there in free agency this year....I think we HAVE to upgrade that position. TE is one of those spots that can really help a QB if he is under pressure as a safety valve AND we need for that guy to be able to block.

- I dont think we go into next season with Stroud....he just doesn't fit the position to me but I am still high on Carrington who was considered raw when we drafted him but a absolute man child.

- For my part....I would take the top OT still on the board at that time if there is one of quality. And then the mgt can figure out whether to play him or Bell at RT. The protection would look so different if the RT was not a speedbump on every play. In the 3rd round I would take a outside linebacker or OG to allow us to move Wood to center.

I am really hopeing this team will be active in free agency for defensive players.....we REALLY need them.

It's definitely a possibility that Carimi could be available at the top of the 2nd round, alhough I think come draft time he'll go somewhere in the mid 1st. But I'd love to get Luck and Carimi, even if it meant trading up somewhat.

Then again, the defense could use some help. According to the DraftTek simulation, the Bills got Luck in the 1st, Cameron Heyward in the 2nd, and Nate Solder in the 3rd---- there is no way at all possible that could happen, but I'd absolutely plotz if that went down.

It's definitely a possibility that Carimi could be available at the top of the 2nd round, alhough I think come draft time he'll go somewhere in the mid 1st. But I'd love to get Luck and Carimi, even if it meant trading up somewhat.

Then again, the defense could use some help. According to the DraftTek simulation, the Bills got Luck in the 1st, Cameron Heyward in the 2nd, and Nate Solder in the 3rd---- there is no way at all possible that could happen, but I'd absolutely plotz if that went down.

DraftTek's overall presentation? A+

DraftTek on realistic draft scenarios? F

Scenario - we actally do end up picking 1st in next years draft. Luck comes out, the bills trip over themselves getting the card to the podium to take him.

Remember....being that bad also means you pick at the top of every round and so there should be some very good talent at that 2nd pick and even the 3rd pick at the top of the round.

The best player at one of these three positions DL, LB, or OT/G.

To early to say, don't like to deal in 'hypotheticals' (of which this scenario presents far too many), and would need to know who are the next 31 players taken before knowing who'd even be available at pick #33.

(Plus, Luck's not coming out.)

If Luck does not come out I hope we trade down......like twice and go with the philosophy that the more picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft the more opportunity to fill the many holes we have.

Also I think it will be interesting to see how Fitz plays the rest of the year....it might be a non issue.

We need a RT, a RG, at least 2 linebackers, another defensive linemen, and a tight end. I am hoping that we dont rely completely on the draft and bring in at least two impact players.....like I said my favorites would be Hali and a quality Tight End.

I am interested in seeing what Nix does in his second year....I kinda felt like this year was about purging the team (yeah I know Kelsay) and being in a position to aquire blue chip talent in the draft. Even if we traded down twice we could still pick up Carimi (OT) or a OLB in this draft.

Unless there is a major stud OL there, I think we can take a pass there as our O-Line is starting to come together and we have a couple young guys for depth. Aside from the "franchise QB" need that has long plagued this organization, we are in desperate need of front 7 D talent. Watch for this guy to shoot up the boards:

Kenrick Ellis; DT, Hampton. 6'5" 340lbs. Transfer from South Carolina (most likely to do with suspensions and eventual dismissal for reefer madness), he's kept clean the last couple years and truly looks like tohe SEC Talent playing among MEAC boys. Big strong kid that plays like a lighter 3-technique tackle. Can chase QB's side line to side line and is apt at sniffing out screens.

First let's get rid of the value picking!!!

The bills have wholes and everyone knows what they are. IMHO the lines are where games are won. This coming years draft does not seem to be an offensive line year, but if we can snag the best available of either line in the second round position I'd say that we are doing well. I'm not even sold on going QB but Luck and Newton are hard to pass up. I'd say take them but don't play them until the line is solid, and they know the system. Possibly let them sit for half the season.

Free agency needs to be very active this year. We need two linebackers of starting quality, and a O or d-linemen. Other than that the teams is solid. Our problem right now is the RT. Cornell Green was horrible, and Cordaro is not good either. The rest of the line is stout.

Unless there is a major stud OL there, I think we can take a pass there as our O-Line is starting to come together and we have a couple young guys for depth. Aside from the "franchise QB" need that has long plagued this organization, we are in desperate need of front 7 D talent. Watch for this guy to shoot up the boards:

Kenrick Ellis; DT, Hampton. 6'5" 340lbs. Transfer from South Carolina (most likely to do with suspensions and eventual dismissal for reefer madness), he's kept clean the last couple years and truly looks like tohe SEC Talent playing among MEAC boys. Big strong kid that plays like a lighter 3-technique tackle. Can chase QB's side line to side line and is apt at sniffing out screens.

Interesting, I've never heard of him but will check into him now.

If Luck is rd1, then rd2 needs to be an OT unless a viable option (not another Cornell Green) is brought in via FA. If that is the case, the next 4 picks need to be DEs and LBs.

First let's get rid of the value picking!!!

The bills have wholes and everyone knows what they are. IMHO the lines are where games are won. This coming years draft does not seem to be an offensive line year, but if we can snag the best available of either line in the second round position I'd say that we are doing well. I'm not even sold on going QB but Luck and Newton are hard to pass up. I'd say take them but don't play them until the line is solid, and they know the system. Possibly let them sit for half the season.

Free agency needs to be very active this year. We need two linebackers of starting quality, and a O or d-linemen. Other than that the teams is solid. Our problem right now is the RT. Cornell Green was horrible, and Cordaro is not good either. The rest of the line is stout.

Actually, Newton would be very easy to pass up.

Its a speculation thread....I dont have any fricken idea. When you are speculating do you know the exact information for the future at the time?

Alright, I'll speculate, but my picks haven't changed since I posted this about 3 weeks ago...

(based on Luck staying in school to get get another year's experience and - more importantly - his Stanford degree)

1) Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas

2) Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin

3) Dontay Moch, OLB/DE, Nevada

4a) Owen Marecic, FB/ILB, Stanford

4b) Greg Romeus, DE, Pitt

Don't much care about rounds 5 thru 7 - take best athletes available or, better yet, use them to trade into postition to get the 5 listed above. I'm willing to eschew the next Levi Brown, Danny Batten, Kyle Calloway, etc., etc. to get those 5 players

(Caveat - 4b assumes that Romeus recovers from back injury/surgery, passes physical, gets 'thumbs up' for future play from appropriate doctors/trainers)

Edited by The Senator

I really think the Bills need to prepare for free agency after the draft by doing everything they can do before the draft to ensure they have at least a viable offense line and some linebackers in place - because, it would be just our luck that we grab Luck number one, then in the second some player drops who is just too good to pass up - maybe a reciever or linebacker, and same goes for the third round, where the quality that is there is just too good, but then after the draft we're left with some major holes still vacant and all the teams and free agents know we have to fill the spots, which leaves us in a position of little bargaining leverage.

In summary, if we're going to add a QB, then I pray we have a plan in place to be sure we have a feasible line without having to bank on certain players falling to us in the draft. I'd also like for them to make some proactive moves in the linebacker department. I don't care what the media says, we're one draft and free agency period away from being a good team - we just need two really good linebackers, a good DE, a QB and a tackle. Throw in a TE and we'd be rolling. Between F.A. and the draft - if you are really good at your job, you could fill those spots.

Git er Done!