Meanwhile, over in the NBA...

Mr. WEO

Waitaminute... I thought I heard here in the shoutbox the other day that MLB is a "regional league" and will disappear within a few years... but the NBA is growing exponentially at startling rates? :oops:

Oh well.

Waitaminute... I thought I heard here in the shoutbox the other day that MLB is a "regional league" and will disappear within a few years... but the NBA is growing exponentially at startling rates? :oops:

Oh well.

Nope. The NBA is the next NHL.

Disagree. I believe those numbers were the collective total of losses by all the franchises. If I'm correct, the league itself is still very financially viable due to its huge followings in China, and other secondary markets in Europe.

Disagree. I believe those numbers were the collective total of losses by all the franchises. If I'm correct, the league itself is still very financially viable due to its huge followings in China, and other secondary markets in Europe.

from the artcile..

Deputy commissioner Adam Silver said Thursday the league is projecting losses of $340 million to $350 million this season, and Stern reiterated Friday that major economic changes are needed.

"I would say the league is viable as long as you have owners who want to continue funding losses. But it's not on the long term a sustainable business model that we're happy to be supporting," Stern said. "It needs to be reset."

Oh well.

Yeah, it's a regional league. If you count the region as the entire Western Hemisphere and Asia.

Yeah, it's a regional league. If you count the region as the entire Western Hemisphere and Asia.

That's what I told the dude in the shout box, but he wasn't having it. Whether it's the Giants or the Phils, it should be a good Series.

The NBA is in the best shape of all the 4 major sports if you ask me.

Nobody cares about hockey. Football is ruining itself. Baseball has always sucked.

The NBA has amazing rivals and headlines. I think it has gotten better!

Edited by Wilson from Gamehendge

Nobody cares about hockey. Football is ruining itself. Baseball has always sucked.

Boy, pretty objective, huh? <_<

The NFL bubble does seem like it's about to burst, though.

Let me guess - his name was Peace? (Or, Colin Cowherd?)

Peace wasn't there, but he did swear by Cowturd---- it was dayman. He had a few reasonable points on the subject when he finally got around to it, and I'm not going to rag on him. But he was, you know... completely wrong.

Peace wasn't there, but he did swear by Cowturd---- it was dayman. He had a few reasonable points on the subject when he finally got around to it, and I'm not going to rag on him. But he was, you know... completely wrong.

Cowturd - football and big markets are great, everything else sucks.........He's the biggest frontrunner of all time........I've even heard him say as a kid he would give up on team and choose a different team when his original team was losing. He said why should I have to suffer?........He's my most hated sports personality.

The NBA is in the best shape of all the 3 major sports if you ask me.

Fixed, and exactly. Hockey is not a major sport.... not even close.

I am in Philly... and the 76ers are beyond backburner and have since I have been down here. They are behind Temple, St Josephs and Villanova. Even when they were in the playoffs, the Flyers were dominating the coverage. The amount of attention the Eagles and Phillies get is huge. Then the Flyers. Then everything else. then the 76ers.

Not ONE of my friends is a fan of the NBA. Maybe a couple hold somewhat of an interest in it.

Cowturd - football and big markets are great, everything else sucks.........He's the biggest frontrunner of all time........I've even heard him say as a kid he would give up on team and choose a different team when his original team was losing. He said why should I have to suffer?........He's my most hated sports personality.

Gotta agree...Cowherd is the worst national sports commentator/broadcaster that I have ever heard. I would rather listen to Schopp & the Dope.

As for the NBA, I really like the game. Like all leagues it has its' problems, but after a post-Jordan dark period, I think the game is the best shape it has been in, in years. Teams are better, the talent is distributed a bit more, despite the Heat, and there has been a return to the team concept, thanks to the recent success of the Spurs and Pistons.

It seems that folks who say they hate the NBA, either never liked it, or haven't really watched it since the Bird/Magic/Jordan era. I agree with Stern (and also blame him for many of the leagues failures) that there needs to be some financial restructuring across the board. I don't see any teams being dissolved, but there are a small handful that could be justified, IMO

Yep, as much as I find his topics interesting sometimes, the guy is pathetic. He doesn't understand what it's like to be a true fan at all...if it were up to him, we'd have only teams from the top 4 or 5 biggest markets in the championship games every year because, "it's good for the game". No point in smaller or medium sized markets even competing to begin with, apparently. I wonder if he understands that teams like the Steelers and Packers, two cornerstones of NFL team history, are two of the smallest markets in sports? He probably would have advocated for the Pack to lose their team back in the 80s when GB wasn't even on the map. But anyway, for him sports is his "job"...there is no passion or heart there at all. Bandwagon jumpers are losers.

For those interested here is the ratings breakdown for all 4 major professional leagues.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.net/2010/04/local-on-eights-ratings-for-nba-mlb-and.html

The NHL is the most regional of all but the numbers aren't too bad in some key markets. The numbers do not include ratings for Canada which the NHL would obviously be king. Who cares? The NHL does collect TV contracts from Canada and therefore would help their bottom line. The NBA and NHL do have one thing going for them in that they are more international sports and they are popular where people have money. Namely Europe. NBA is apparently burgeoning in China which could be the ultimate revenue generator down the line. I believe all the sports are going to try and tap these markets in the future, NHL and NFL regular season games are being played in Europe already, not sure about the NBA but they will get there. Baseball has an advantage in latin america and likey certain asian countries but as in most things economic the growth will not come from North America but from emerging markets and new markets in Europe. The sport that that can take advantage of this reality will be in the best shape going forward.

Yep, as much as I find his topics interesting sometimes, the guy is pathetic. He doesn't understand what it's like to be a true fan at all...if it were up to him, we'd have only teams from the top 4 or 5 biggest markets in the championship games every year because, "it's good for the game". No point in smaller or medium sized markets even competing to begin with, apparently. I wonder if he understands that teams like the Steelers and Packers, two cornerstones of NFL team history, are two of the smallest markets in sports? He probably would have advocated for the Pack to lose their team back in the 80s when GB wasn't even on the map. But anyway, for him sports is his "job"...there is no passion or heart there at all. Bandwagon jumpers are losers.

+1000 So, true - he has no idea what being a fan means. He also advocates watching everything on his home entertainment system. So, he doesn't even "get" the communal feeling you get when you go to the game.

If you want to see the failures of the current NBA go to a Bobcats game. It is run my Jordan like a trainwreck. In a very urban city they still mess it up. They fail to draw on the capital of the banking industry, they fail to garner the attention of the community and instead make the game feel like a BET music video. I am not saying that is bad but I am saying that is not how you run a NBA team in a city like Charlotte. If you have the chance or have done so compare the Panthers experience to the Bobcats experience.

I am sure you've seen the large black man that dresses up like Papa Panther? He lives over an hour away from the stadium. The Bobcats do nothing to to bring in the outside metro area. I am about 45 minutes away and find it much easier to watch the games on TV. I believe the local news puts things in to perspective best. Sports coverage priorites on all local stations and News14 Carolina: NASCAR, NCAA (Tarheels, than State, than Duke, App State than WF), NFL, NHL, than NBA and soccer usually come tied for last. I am not joking.

I had friends that went down to Raleigh to watch a Hurricanes game a few years back (playoffs i think) they said that the tailgating and fans were great, did it carry over or has it been lost since they slid since they won the cup. That seems to be the case, hockey has great pull when the teams do really well and then disappear when the team sucks.

I had friends that went down to Raleigh to watch a Hurricanes game a few years back (playoffs i think) they said that the tailgating and fans were great, did it carry over or has it been lost since they slid since they won the cup. That seems to be the case, hockey has great pull when the teams do really well and then disappear when the team sucks.

My brother went down when the Sabres lost to the Hurricanes...tailgaiting was great because the game was filled with Buffalo fans, Carolina couldn't even sell out a conference final game.

Check comments in that ratings link and compare it to the relative momentum of the playoffs ratings for NBA and MLB respectively. Also, see China as has been said. Also, see Latin America's value relative to almost everything else. Also, Japan has it's own leagues they watch primarily. Blah Blah...basically a few areas watch baseball locally, and a lot of Asia watches the World Series...the NBA's regular season national ratings have beat MLB for 3 straight years. The NBA had the highest rating for it's final in 10 years last year. The NBA is on the complete rise, MLB is not. If the Yankees and Sox somehow miss the playoffs, it falls apart. Sorry you baseball crazies, but it's 3rd. If it's not third to you, that's fine. If for some reason it doesn't seem like it's third where you live...that's fine also. But it is third nationally. And the margin is only going to grow moving into the future. But when you play 162 games and can generate that kind of ticket revenue it's not like you should care anyway what is more popular b/c you like baseball and it makes enough money to continue on...simple as that. If you think the nation is going to care who wins this world series more than who wins this nba championship, you've lost your mind.

-shoutbox idiot

If a team wins, fans will come, just like any sport. This is more of a reflection of the current economy, and the NBA is being proactive by trying to cut salaries while companies quit buying season tickets. I would imagine other sports will face the same dilemma soon and contraction will become reality.

Charlotte, Memphis/New Orleans, LA Clippers/Minnesota, Toronto...the NBA could drop 4ish teams easily...

I am a passive Raptors fan and watch the last few minutes of televised games and to be honest if they left I don't think I would care. That being said they do draw well ( TV ratings not so good )considering the team has sucked for 13 out of 15 years. The difference is that there is a whole generation of new canadians that are more into the NBA than hockey. In certain areas of the city where new immigrants tend to end up their minor hockey programs have had to merge with other jurisdictions ( as most of you know hockey has turned into a rich kids game) So the NBA will not leave Toronto, the raptors make money and their fan base is actually expanding, if they could string together a few winning seasons they would be a huge money maker. I know the Nets have a new owner and the Hawks have gotten better but everytime I see games from those arenas it looks like there is 5k people in the stands.

I am in Philly... and the 76ers are beyond backburner and have since I have been down here. They are behind Temple, St Josephs and Villanova. Even when they were in the playoffs, the Flyers were dominating the coverage. The amount of attention the Eagles and Phillies get is huge. Then the Flyers. Then everything else. then the 76ers.

Not ONE of my friends is a fan of the NBA. Maybe a couple hold somewhat of an interest in it.

You don't suppose the 6ers sucking for so long has anything to do with that? It is an Eagles town, period. 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th depend completely on who is good at the moment. Obviously that is the Phillies now. There's way too many schools to really be much of a college town.

I think the main reason I can't get into the NBA is the clear line between haves and have nots. There are teams like Atlanta and Milwaukee with a good young foundation, but does it really matter? Without an elite top 5 star you pretty much have no chance to win the big prize. The only exceptions in my 30 year lifetime are the '04 Pistons, and the '08 Celtics who did have 3 All-Stars.

Would you take the field over the Heat & Lakers to win the whole thing at even money? I wouldn't. Can't say that about any other sport before the start of the season.

Check comments in that ratings link and compare it to the relative momentum of the playoffs ratings for NBA and MLB respectively. Also, see China as has been said. Also, see Latin America's value relative to almost everything else. Also, Japan has it's own leagues they watch primarily. Blah Blah...basically a few areas watch baseball locally, and a lot of Asia watches the World Series...the NBA's regular season national ratings have beat MLB for 3 straight years. The NBA had the highest rating for it's final in 10 years last year. The NBA is on the complete rise, MLB is not. If the Yankees and Sox somehow miss the playoffs, it falls apart. Sorry you baseball crazies, but it's 3rd. If it's not third to you, that's fine. If for some reason it doesn't seem like it's third where you live...that's fine also. But it is third nationally. And the margin is only going to grow moving into the future. But when you play 162 games and can generate that kind of ticket revenue it's not like you should care anyway what is more popular b/c you like baseball and it makes enough money to continue on...simple as that. If you think the nation is going to care who wins this world series more than who wins this nba championship, you've lost your mind.

-shoutbox idiot

Shhhhhh you are making too much sense, please allow the simpletons whose boundaries dont go past Erie County, WGR 55, their local bar or volunteer fire department to keep taking solace in their ignorance

I think the main reason I can't get into the NBA is the clear line between haves and have nots. There are teams like Atlanta and Milwaukee with a good young foundation, but does it really matter? Without an elite top 5 star you pretty much have no chance to win the big prize. The only exceptions in my 30 year lifetime are the '04 Pistons, and the '08 Celtics who did have 3 All-Stars.

Would you take the field over the Heat & Lakers to win the whole thing at even money? I wouldn't. Can't say that about any other sport before the start of the season.

People make the same argument about MLB, crying that the whole thing is slanted towards the Yankees and Red Sox. But, who is in the world series this year? The Texas Rangers and the San Francisco Giants..two teams off the radar a season or two ago...while it is true that Tim Duncan, at one time, was one of the very best players in the league, Ginobli and Parker were second tier talents, who only became better because of Duncan. It isn't as hard to turn around an NBA team, provided your team isn't in salary cap hell.

Garnett, Alan and Peirce were hardly considered by most, to be in their prime, when they were put together. The Pistons had great success in the last decade, with a bunch of good players, not any great players. As easy as it might be to dominate in the NBA, it is easier to change your circumstance. As great as the Lakers are, if Kobe were to miss significant time, they would be just a very good team.

Gotta say, I am looking forward to the Celtics/Heat season opener on Tuesday, more than any other sporting event on the radar right now. I live in a town that has no pro teams (San Antonio Spurs are the closest thing), and is far and away, a college football town. But, I would be willing to bet, the NBA would only distance College and Pro football for the interest in Austinites. There are a whole lot of cities, I would guess, in the same boat as Austin.

Gotta agree...Cowherd is the worst national sports commentator/broadcaster that I have ever heard. I would rather listen to Schopp & the Dope.

As for the NBA, I really like the game. Like all leagues it has its' problems, but after a post-Jordan dark period, I think the game is the best shape it has been in, in years. Teams are better, the talent is distributed a bit more, despite the Heat, and there has been a return to the team concept, thanks to the recent success of the Spurs and Pistons.

It seems that folks who say they hate the NBA, either never liked it, or haven't really watched it since the Bird/Magic/Jordan era. I agree with Stern (and also blame him for many of the leagues failures) that there needs to be some financial restructuring across the board. I don't see any teams being dissolved, but there are a small handful that could be justified, IMO

I think the people see through Stern's plans. They may not realize that the Finals are scripted as we have discussed, but it probably just doesn't "feel right" to most people. This year's heartwarming Finals champions may help a little but I doubt it will be enough. Dave had a nice run with all the planned champions; he should sit back and let nature take its course.

Like anyone else though he will probably keep digging a deeper hole thinking he can find his way out of trouble he caused. It also is important to point out that the worries are fabricated at least from a league point of view. When certain teams are never allowed to win of course those franchises will suffer. It is collateral damage to Dave. This year's Cinderalla may or may not help all of those franchises.

Who do you think the Cinderalla will be? All I have so far is Denver but it is a long season and a lot can happen. I just hope he doesn't go with the Phil Jackson swan song angle. That would be lame.

I think the people see through Stern's plans. They may not realize that the Finals are scripted as we have discussed, but it probably just doesn't "feel right" to most people. This year's heartwarming Finals champions may help a little but I doubt it will be enough. Dave had a nice run with all the planned champions; he should sit back and let nature take its course.

Like anyone else though he will probably keep digging a deeper hole thinking he can find his way out of trouble he caused. It also is important to point out that the worries are fabricated at least from a league point of view. When certain teams are never allowed to win of course those franchises will suffer. It is collateral damage to Dave. This year's Cinderalla may or may not help all of those franchises.

Who do you think the Cinderalla will be? All I have so far is Denver but it is a long season and a lot can happen. I just hope he doesn't go with the Phil Jackson swan song angle. That would be lame.

The only heartwarming story that would work for me is the Celtics...one more for Shaq, absolutely nobody giving them any consideration to win it all...it is getting my eyes watery, just thinking about it done...get 'er done Stern! :devil:

:blink:

The NBA has rivalries? Other than LA-Bos, I've never heard of one. In New York the only team pro team less important than the Knicks is the Nets.

And you forgot to mention that the NBA is the most boring sport to watch this side of cricket.