Meanwhile, over in the NBA...

Mr. WEO

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Waitaminute... I thought I heard here in the shoutbox the other day that MLB is a "regional league" and will disappear within a few years... but the NBA is growing exponentially at startling rates? :oops:

Oh well.

Waitaminute... I thought I heard here in the shoutbox the other day that MLB is a "regional league" and will disappear within a few years... but the NBA is growing exponentially at startling rates? :oops:

Oh well.

Nope. The NBA is the next NHL.

Disagree. I believe those numbers were the collective total of losses by all the franchises. If I'm correct, the league itself is still very financially viable due to its huge followings in China, and other secondary markets in Europe.

Disagree. I believe those numbers were the collective total of losses by all the franchises. If I'm correct, the league itself is still very financially viable due to its huge followings in China, and other secondary markets in Europe.

from the artcile..

Deputy commissioner Adam Silver said Thursday the league is projecting losses of $340 million to $350 million this season, and Stern reiterated Friday that major economic changes are needed.

"I would say the league is viable as long as you have owners who want to continue funding losses. But it's not on the long term a sustainable business model that we're happy to be supporting," Stern said. "It needs to be reset."

Oh well.

Yeah, it's a regional league. If you count the region as the entire Western Hemisphere and Asia.

Yeah, it's a regional league. If you count the region as the entire Western Hemisphere and Asia.

That's what I told the dude in the shout box, but he wasn't having it. Whether it's the Giants or the Phils, it should be a good Series.

The NBA is in the best shape of all the 4 major sports if you ask me.

Nobody cares about hockey. Football is ruining itself. Baseball has always sucked.

The NBA has amazing rivals and headlines. I think it has gotten better!

Edited by Wilson from Gamehendge

The NBA is in the best shape of all the 4 major sports if you ask me.

Nobody cares about hockey. Football is ruining itself. Baseball has always sucked.

Boy, pretty objective, huh? <_<

The NFL bubble does seem like it's about to burst, though.

Let me guess - his name was Peace? (Or, Colin Cowherd?)

Peace wasn't there, but he did swear by Cowturd---- it was dayman. He had a few reasonable points on the subject when he finally got around to it, and I'm not going to rag on him. But he was, you know... completely wrong.

Peace wasn't there, but he did swear by Cowturd---- it was dayman. He had a few reasonable points on the subject when he finally got around to it, and I'm not going to rag on him. But he was, you know... completely wrong.

Cowturd - football and big markets are great, everything else sucks.........He's the biggest frontrunner of all time........I've even heard him say as a kid he would give up on team and choose a different team when his original team was losing. He said why should I have to suffer?........He's my most hated sports personality.

The NBA is in the best shape of all the 3 major sports if you ask me.

Fixed, and exactly. Hockey is not a major sport.... not even close.

I am in Philly... and the 76ers are beyond backburner and have since I have been down here. They are behind Temple, St Josephs and Villanova. Even when they were in the playoffs, the Flyers were dominating the coverage. The amount of attention the Eagles and Phillies get is huge. Then the Flyers. Then everything else. then the 76ers.

Not ONE of my friends is a fan of the NBA. Maybe a couple hold somewhat of an interest in it.

Cowturd - football and big markets are great, everything else sucks.........He's the biggest frontrunner of all time........I've even heard him say as a kid he would give up on team and choose a different team when his original team was losing. He said why should I have to suffer?........He's my most hated sports personality.

Gotta agree...Cowherd is the worst national sports commentator/broadcaster that I have ever heard. I would rather listen to Schopp & the Dope.

As for the NBA, I really like the game. Like all leagues it has its' problems, but after a post-Jordan dark period, I think the game is the best shape it has been in, in years. Teams are better, the talent is distributed a bit more, despite the Heat, and there has been a return to the team concept, thanks to the recent success of the Spurs and Pistons.

It seems that folks who say they hate the NBA, either never liked it, or haven't really watched it since the Bird/Magic/Jordan era. I agree with Stern (and also blame him for many of the leagues failures) that there needs to be some financial restructuring across the board. I don't see any teams being dissolved, but there are a small handful that could be justified, IMO

Yep, as much as I find his topics interesting sometimes, the guy is pathetic. He doesn't understand what it's like to be a true fan at all...if it were up to him, we'd have only teams from the top 4 or 5 biggest markets in the championship games every year because, "it's good for the game". No point in smaller or medium sized markets even competing to begin with, apparently. I wonder if he understands that teams like the Steelers and Packers, two cornerstones of NFL team history, are two of the smallest markets in sports? He probably would have advocated for the Pack to lose their team back in the 80s when GB wasn't even on the map. But anyway, for him sports is his "job"...there is no passion or heart there at all. Bandwagon jumpers are losers.

For those interested here is the ratings breakdown for all 4 major professional leagues.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.net/2010/04/local-on-eights-ratings-for-nba-mlb-and.html

The NHL is the most regional of all but the numbers aren't too bad in some key markets. The numbers do not include ratings for Canada which the NHL would obviously be king. Who cares? The NHL does collect TV contracts from Canada and therefore would help their bottom line. The NBA and NHL do have one thing going for them in that they are more international sports and they are popular where people have money. Namely Europe. NBA is apparently burgeoning in China which could be the ultimate revenue generator down the line. I believe all the sports are going to try and tap these markets in the future, NHL and NFL regular season games are being played in Europe already, not sure about the NBA but they will get there. Baseball has an advantage in latin america and likey certain asian countries but as in most things economic the growth will not come from North America but from emerging markets and new markets in Europe. The sport that that can take advantage of this reality will be in the best shape going forward.

Yep, as much as I find his topics interesting sometimes, the guy is pathetic. He doesn't understand what it's like to be a true fan at all...if it were up to him, we'd have only teams from the top 4 or 5 biggest markets in the championship games every year because, "it's good for the game". No point in smaller or medium sized markets even competing to begin with, apparently. I wonder if he understands that teams like the Steelers and Packers, two cornerstones of NFL team history, are two of the smallest markets in sports? He probably would have advocated for the Pack to lose their team back in the 80s when GB wasn't even on the map. But anyway, for him sports is his "job"...there is no passion or heart there at all. Bandwagon jumpers are losers.

+1000 So, true - he has no idea what being a fan means. He also advocates watching everything on his home entertainment system. So, he doesn't even "get" the communal feeling you get when you go to the game.