Meanwhile, over in the NBA...

Mr. WEO

Wow. The NBA is:

Completely fixed by Stern

Has no rivalries besides Lakers/Celtics

Is closing in on the popularity level of hockey! (miles behind baseball)

A heartwarming story would be Shaq winning another 'chip w/ the Celtics...>_>

The Spurs have a "top 5" guy....

...the list goes on. The idiocy in this thread is astounding.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People make the same argument about MLB, crying that the whole thing is slanted towards the Yankees and Red Sox. But, who is in the world series this year? The Texas Rangers and the San Francisco Giants..two teams off the radar a season or two ago...while it is true that Tim Duncan, at one time, was one of the very best players in the league, Ginobli and Parker were second tier talents, who only became better because of Duncan. It isn't as hard to turn around an NBA team, provided your team isn't in salary cap hell.

Garnett, Alan and Peirce were hardly considered by most, to be in their prime, when they were put together. The Pistons had great success in the last decade, with a bunch of good players, not any great players. As easy as it might be to dominate in the NBA, it is easier to change your circumstance. As great as the Lakers are, if Kobe were to miss significant time, they would be just a very good team.

Gotta say, I am looking forward to the Celtics/Heat season opener on Tuesday, more than any other sporting event on the radar right now. I live in a town that has no pro teams (San Antonio Spurs are the closest thing), and is far and away, a college football town. But, I would be willing to bet, the NBA would only distance College and Pro football for the interest in Austinites. There are a whole lot of cities, I would guess, in the same boat as Austin.

Baseball, like hockey, involves an incredible amount of luck in the postseason. Bad bounces of the puck, power plays at the wrong time, softly hit bloop singles vs. rocket line drives that turn into double plays...ehh, it is slanted towards the Yankees/Sox but everyone needs breaks in the playoffs. The '90 A's were a million times better than the Reds and got swept.

I agree with your thoughts on the Spurs & Lakers, but that is my point. They had/have top 5 stars and won championships. The Trailblazers and Rockets who NBA analysts love as up & coming teams don't and they have a 0.00% chance of winning it all.

Edited by BuffOrange

What do you expect from a league where they need to have the players walk through metal detectors before they enter the locker room?

Yep. The NBA failed to recognize they were alienating their fan base. The league is comprised of thugs, ganstas, punks and a few Euros that only people in their home counties care about. I was a huge NBA fan during the Jordan years, the 23 years not the 45 years. I even started admiring LeBron a few years back but this off seasons look at me moment by him was deplorable and turned me away for good. I may check in occasionally to see how the Cuse Alumni are doing but otherwise I have no interest.

Wow. The NBA is:

hahhahahahahahahahaha what do you expect from the sports outpost known as Erie County. They only have a hockey team and share a football team with a non American city lol

Wow. The NBA is:

Uhh...I was on your side in this argument, but you obviously have no ability to detect a joke, even when silly "emoticons" are used for your benefit... :thumbdown:

Wow. The NBA is:

It the NBA weren't scripted, do you think someone could pick the Finals participants, winners, and number of games in both 2009 and 2010 and make those predictions in February of 2009. How about predicting things like fake injuries which impact the Finals matchups?