8-8

6-10

9-7

5-11

7-9

7-9

7-9

6-10

Those are the records of the Bills from 2000 to 2009. They have been, by all accounts, mediocre for an entire decade. Yes, there has been a fleeting highlight here and there, but this is a team that has managed to stay competitive without being truly threatening for ten consecutive seasons.

Quite frankly, the front office's inability to cash in on first round selections, a consistent inability to identify late round talent, an unwillingness to utilize free agency beyond either overpriced mid-level signings (Derrick Dockery, ahem) and ineffectual low-cost acquisitions (Dominic Rhodes, we hardly knew thee), combined with a laughable coaching merry-go-round has led me to the conclusion that the best thing that can happen is this team hit absolutely rock bottom.

There is no point in continuing the mediocrity that has infested this team for ten years. The hopes and dreams of 8-8 or even 9-7 are, quite frankly, embarrassing for a franchise that, after the Dallas Cowboys, were the most dominant football team of the 1990s.

It is time that this thing be destroyed, and the only way to clean house is 0-16, the only way to guarantee that Ralph Wilson will be shamed into doing that is 0-16. Everyone connected with this franchise has to be exorcised once and for all - the front office, the scouting staff, the coaches, hell, if it's possible to completely turn over the roster, I guarantee you there is enough talent in the next free agency crop, the draft, and cast-offs from the UFL and CFL to outplay this group.

0-16 is the disease and the cure.

Embrace it, in the end we will be stronger, and maybe another decade of Buffalo Bills football will not be lost.

8-8

3-13

8-8

6-10

9-7

5-11

7-9

7-9

7-9

6-10

Those are the records of the Bills from 2000 to 2009. They have been, by all accounts, mediocre for an entire decade. Yes, there has been a fleeting highlight here and there, but this is a team that has managed to stay competitive without being truly threatening for ten consecutive seasons.

Quite frankly, the front office's inability to cash in on first round selections, a consistent inability to identify late round talent, an unwillingness to utilize free agency beyond either overpriced mid-level signings (Derrick Dockery, ahem) and ineffectual low-cost acquisitions (Dominic Rhodes, we hardly knew thee), combined with a laughable coaching merry-go-round has led me to the conclusion that the best thing that can happen is this team hit absolutely rock bottom.

There is no point in continuing the mediocrity that has infested this team for ten years. The hopes and dreams of 8-8 or even 9-7 are, quite frankly, embarrassing for a franchise that, after the Dallas Cowboys, were the most dominant football team of the 1990s.

It is time that this thing be destroyed, and the only way to clean house is 0-16, the only way to guarantee that Ralph Wilson will be shamed into doing that is 0-16. Everyone connected with this franchise has to be exorcised once and for all - the front office, the scouting staff, the coaches, hell, if it's possible to completely turn over the roster, I guarantee you there is enough talent in the next free agency crop, the draft, and cast-offs from the UFL and CFL to outplay this group.

Embrace it, in the end we will be stronger, and maybe another decade of Buffalo Bills football will not be lost.

how does 0-16 solve anything

how does 0-16 solve anything

I agree with the original poster to be honest. I was thinking this earlier and was going to put something up on my Facebook about it...yes, because I get picked on A LOT! However, I think this IS the best thing and what I am hoping for.

I want the overall #1 pick, more than 0-16...I would rather be 1-15...0-16 would be more ammo for opposing fans.

Orlando Pace, Peyton Manning, Michael Vick, Carson Palmer, Eli Manning, Mario Williams, Jake Long, Matthew Stafford and Sam Bradford...all former #1 overall picks, in which the team actually got RIGHT...all of them pretty much to an extent, single handedly change the fortunes of their teams within a couple years. Sure we are still awaiting a verdict of Stafford and Bradford, even Williams and Long...but they sure do look like names and faces you could change your culture and represent your franchise with.

You could even go back further for examples, but I am not old enough to know how those teams (Elway, Aikman, Bruce...etc) were the years immediately before and after those draft picks took place. The Patriots and Bledsoe are another example.

If we end up with the #1 overall and Buddy/Chan CAN GET IT RIGHT...we will be well on our way back to respectability.

We only have to be bad enough go get the first draft pick. Any worse than that is wasted.

The fact is that we've looked terrible so far, but part of the reason is that we've played three good teams and one solid team. We'll play some crap teams this year. And we'll win a game or two. Maybe three or four, though I hope not, because that's the area where you start passing a team or two in the standings.

8-8

3-13

8-8

6-10

9-7

5-11

7-9

7-9

7-9

6-10

Granted the Bills are not very good. But in no way will I ever cheer for or hope that the Bills go 0-16.

The grammar police are right, mistaking "here" for "hear" should invalidate this post. Please disregard and continuing accepting mediocrity, dreaming of the elusive double-digit win season and hoping to squeak into the playoffs as a wild card.

I would accept 1-15, as long as it guaranteed every member of the front office, scouting staff, coaching staff, etc. be let go.

Burn, baby, burn.

The logic of this post is completely flawed. Going 0-16 doesn't guarantee everyone will get fired. This staff was just hired so they will get a grace period of at least two seasons. So 0-16 won't result in anyone getting fired. What it will result in is a major drop in ticket sales which will result in blackouts and the Bills moving up on the list of teams that might be moved to a new city. Wouldn't that be great if we go 0-16 and the LA Bills get the number 1 pick? 0-16 will just put the Bills in another infamous category. Isn't being the only team to lose 4 back to back super bowls enough humiliation? Now we have to be in the list of worst teams ever? No thanks. I would never root for the team to go 0-16. The Bills don't necessarily even need the #1 draft pick, anywhere in the top 4 should be good enough to get a high impact player.

cant we at least go 1-15 or 2-14 just so we aren't known in the books on the same level as Detroit and the 76 Bucks?

+1. We have gotten more than our fill of neg attention over the last decade plus. Don't need an 0-fer hanging on us as well.

+1. We have gotten more than our fill of neg attention over the last decade plus. Don't need an 0-fer hanging on us as well.

0-16 would be exactly the kind of negative attention that ego-blind Wilson needs to get him to open his fat wallet and pay for an NFL franchise.

Dear Peyton Manning fans...the vast majority of top QBs were not selected #1 overall, and there are more busts than stars selected #1 overall.

I don't think you have to bend over backwards hoping for a high pick, because that is what is unfolding, but us moving from 0 to 1 to 2 to 3 or even 4 or 5 wins is not going to be a bad thing if good decisions are made. At this point I don't mind #1 and think it could be refreshing, but I am definitely happier if we beat Jacksonville Sunday than if we lose, and I don't think losing that game "helps" us get better.

We are going to have a tough transitional year and a lot of losses this year, and end up with a high draft pick. But thinking that 0-16 and the shame that comes with it is somehow better than 1-15 or 2-14 or 3-13 seems a little silly to me.

And if you think #1 is enough important to want to lose, tell me who you are picking #1? Who is the Peyton Manning and you don't want to get stuck with Ryan Leaf? I don't see enough clarity among the top QBs right now, and I think this might be a draft where there is a Rivers/Rothlesberger situation after the top pick to go with Eli Manning #1.

And while I think a top 5 pick could help this franchise a lot...please look at history and realize that one and two win seasons are much more predictive of future 3-13 and 4-12 than they are of Super Bowl winners.

it doesn't, of course. somehow, certain fans think that if we lose enough, the bills front office will suddenly learn how to evaluate talent. i find this inexplicable, but somehow the idea persists.

That's what I always wonder about myself. If your front office can't identify talent the only thing picking #1 vs. #9 gets you is a bigger contract. Plus you had 5-7 crappier Sundays the previous season.

I hear you. But I'd rather see progress from our current roster and maybe actually win a coupla games, making next year something other than a team coming off an 0-16 season.

Of course. The Bills will get a perfectly good, very early pick in 2011. Going 0-11 isn't positive in any way, IMO.

I'm learning all the time - tonite, from one of our newer posters, I learned that 'going 0-16 is the best case scenario'. Heretofore, I would have thought that going 19 and 0 is the best case scenario.

Guess that's why I keep coming back to this board!

Edited by The Senator

it doesn't, of course. somehow, certain fans think that if we lose enough, the bills front office will suddenly learn how to evaluate talent. i find this inexplicable, but somehow the idea persists.

I don't want the Bills to lose enough for the front office to suddenly "get it," I want to lose enough for the front office to be obliterated.

What happened in 2008 when the Lions when 0-16? They fired the entire coaching staff, they installed a new GM who has almost completely turned over the roster (only 16 of 53 players remain in 2010), found a young, talented franchise QB and have restored something resembling enthusiasm for a traditionally putrid franchise.

Like I said, you wanna keep rolling on mediocrity, be my guest. I'm interested in returning to the years of winning championships, not hoping for .500.

Edited by ohiotim

I don't want the Bills to lose enough for the front office to suddenly "get it," I want to lose enough for the front office to be obliterated.

What happened in 2008 when the Lions when 0-16? They fired the entire coaching staff, they installed a new GM who has almost completely turned over the roster (only 16 of 53 players remain in 2010), found a young, talented franchise QB and have restored something resembling enthusiasm for a traditionally putrid franchise.

Like I said, you wanna keep rolling on mediocrity, be my guest. I'm interested in returning to the years of winning championships, not hoping for .500.

The same guy responsible for putting Donahoe, Levy, Brandon, and now Nix in charge of the team will be selecting the next front office too, you know.

And look how well that worked - Lions were 2-14 in 2009, and sit tied with the Bills at 0-4 in 2010. You're just one brilliant dude. What's your next idea to flip the Bills fortunes - new logo and uniforms, like the Lions?

Thanks for playing - run along now.

Edited by The Senator

And look how well that worked - Lions were 2-14 in 2009, and sit tied with the Bills at 0-4 in 2010. You're just one brilliant dude. What's your next idea to flip the Bills fortunes - new logo and uniforms, like the Lions?

Thanks for playing - run along now.

And which team is (literally) a laughing stock?

The Lions are bad because they've had injuries to their starting QB and RB. The lost to the Bears b/c of a questionable call at the end of the game, they lost to the Eagles by 3 and the Pack by 2 on the road. It's called being competitive.

The Bills are bad and have cut/traded their starting QB and RB. They've been dismantled in two of their four games and have an embarrassingly bad offense that ranks 2nd in the league. And they gave a slow, undersized defensive end ANOTHER contract extension because he's good in the locker room.

One franchise moving forward, the other spinning it's wheels.

People such as yourself are enablers - you allow garbage by accepting garbage.

Ralph dont care about wins. Bottom line tv pays for the roster plus an extra 10 million.Ralph wants the count of tix sales and hotdog sales.he hopes everyone drives them self to the game because when you park in those lots it goes into his pocket.I have a feeling Ralph is going to vote for a rookie cap.don't forget the end of the year guilt trip,if we don't start selling tixs buffalo can't afford this I will look else were unless the taxpayers give me a new stadium were I have full control.

The Lions are bad because they've had injuries to their starting QB and RB. The lost to the Bears b/c of a questionable call at the end of the game, they lost to the Eagles by 3 and the Pack by 2 on the road. It's called being competitive.

If we're counting almost-wins as wins now, the Bills have made the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years.

To me, 0-16 is worst case scenario. Our guys are used to losing. We need to turn that around ASAP and have our guys learn how to win. the only way to do that is pin your ears back, put your best guys out there, and in the words of Perry Fewell "play like hell and win". Winning begets winning and losing begets losing. It's not looking good now, but I'm holding out hope. I'm rooting for 12-4.

It's not fair to your players or your fans to tank a season. I'm afraid though that's what we're doing.

It wasn't a complete overhaul at all. Mayhew, the current GM, worked for Millen, and is now in his 9th year with the Lions. As for coaching overhauls, the Bills have been there and done that. In fact, if memory serves, they did it this year.

http://www.detroitlions.com/team/staff/martin-mayhew/c907f443-35e8-40fb-a48b-512e27d1b778