Talley's take on the Bills & the NFL player today

DaBills51

Darryl Talley went off on a long rant on twitter the other day, and this is what he came up with (I edited the spelling to make it a little easier to read):

"One of the greatest moments for me as a professional football player came when John Havlicek stopped me at a party & introduced himself. (Like I didn't know who one of the best players in NBA history was.) He called me over to where he was standing & said "I admire the way you play football. You play the game the old fashioned way. The way the game's supposed to be played." I was floored & flattered beyond belief. John Havlicek thought I was good at what I did. He noticed that I busted ass day in & day out. What I'm getting at is this: Football players of this generation need to decide if what they want is to someday be somewhere & have someone with John Havlicek's caliber tell you the same thing. It's as simple as that.

Forget about manicures & pedicures & massages & personal stylists & personal assistants. You're football players. All you need for personal hygiene is soap & water, a stick of deodorant & a toothbrush. The distractions are too many. Your jobs are to score points & drive someones d**k into the ground. All the rest of it is just silly s**t. You've got one shot at this. You want to be remembered for how you played the game not how your toes looked. Nobody cares about that **** & the guy who just paid $120.00 of his hard earned money certainly doesn't give a **** bout your feet except how fast they move & a pedicure ain't gonna make you run faster. Bustin your ass will. Leonard Smith had the nastiest feet I'd ever seen on a human but he would knock your ass in to the middle of next f*****g week.

Think about it young fellas. Y'all young fellas gotta decide if when the next generation of players run on to that field & they look up they see YOUR name on that Wall of Fame or not. It's in your hands. You're in charge of your destiny."

Here are four more lines that some of you will find interesting:

"Synopsis: 95's the only one on D playing with a motor. Otherwise they don't have the personnel to play that defense & gotta draft for them."

"95 needs a supporting cast. Draft around him next year."

"95. The only boy playing worth a f**k." - Thurman agreed with this on his page too.

"Fitzpatrick has balls & my respect. 21 reminds me of OJ (before the glove). I like the way 86 & 11 play get them the ball."

Take it for what it is worth, but I found it interesting to get the perspective of ex-player who doesn't have to watch what he says because he works for ESPN or CBS.

Edited by DaBills51

I'd love to see former players get more involved with this team......

Talley has stated many times on twitter that he had approached the Bills to help in any capacity and they turned him down. I believe Thurman approached the Bills and was rebuffed as well, but I'm not 100% positive.

Talley has stated many times on twitter that he had approached the Bills to help in any capacity and they turned him down. I believe Thurman approached the Bills and was rebuffed as well, but I'm not 100% positive.

I thought it was announced last year that Thurman was brought into the organization as an entry level scout. He appeared during press conferences at OBD in some kind of official capacity around the time Nix and Gailey were hired.

I thought it was announced last year that Thurman was brought into the organization as an entry level scout. He appeared during press conferences at OBD in some kind of official capacity around the time Nix and Gailey were hired.

You're right....I forgot all about that. Thurman was clamoring to get a spot in the Bills FO, not a coaching gig. Like I said before, I wasn't 100 percent sure on Thomas, just Talley.

Darryl Talley went off on a long rant on twitter the other day, and this is what he came up with (I edited the spelling to make it a little easier to read):

Forget about manicures & pedicures & massages & personal stylists & personal assistants. You're football players. All you need for personal hygiene is soap & water, a stick of deodorant & a toothbrush. The distractions are too many. Your jobs are to score points & drive someones d**k into the ground. All the rest of it is just silly s**t. You've got one shot at this. You want to be remembered for how you played the game not how your toes looked. Nobody cares about that **** & the guy who just paid $120.00 of his hard earned money certainly doesn't give a **** bout your feet except how fast they move & a pedicure ain't gonna make you run faster. Bustin your ass will. Leonard Smith had the nastiest feet I'd ever seen on a human but he would knock your ass in to the middle of next f*****g week.

Think about it young fellas. Y'all young fellas gotta decide if when the next generation of players run on to that field & they look up they see YOUR name on that Wall of Fame or not. It's in your hands. You're in charge of your destiny."

Talley was my favorite on his era of the Bills. They had players with more talent, but few with as much hustle.

Great post! I will def. check out Twitter on Game Day.

"95. The only boy playing worth a f**k." - Thurman agreed with this on his page too.

"Fitzpatrick has balls & my respect. 21 reminds me of OJ (before the glove). I like the way 86 & 11 play get them the ball."

I like Spiller, Nelson and Parrish.

I wasn't so hot on Williams now I feel I need to look closer. I think Talley's judgement on D means something.

The 90's Bills that BILL POLIAN built cared about being the BEST at their positions and the BEST TEAM in the NFL. something long lost on these losers we have fielded since then.

Then why does Talley care? He wasn't drafted by Bill Polian :o

Edited by Punch

Those of you who lived in B-lo/Rochester back in the day remember what Talley did when his time on the Bills was over and he was headed to ATL. He took out a full page ad in the paper and basically sent a love letter to the fans - us - who supported him all those years he played as a Bill. The guy is nothing short of 100% class, and he's embodied the idea of "heart" more than any other player in Bills history. If it's true that the organization didn't take him up on his offer to help, then someone at one bills drive needs to get smacked. We suck. We've sucked for TEN FUGGIN YEARS!!!! If you have the chance to utilize a resource who knows what it means to be a champion, you take advantage of it! I would love to see some of the former players - particularly those from the SB years - with more of an active role in the organization.

You know, I've always been one to admit very quickly that, as often as regular Joes make sense from time to time, the real professionals are the ones who are running the team and who do this for a living. But you know what? I'm starting to think that decision makers for this team are nothing but a bunch of clowns. This team has been turned into the laughing stock of the NFL and it's just plain embarrassing. It's time to bring some winners through the front door, especially the ones who are already lining up.

During the glory years of Bills football, when I played little loop in the Southtowns, Darryls daughter was a cheerleader on an opposing team. He would come to the games where she was cheering and when approached acted like a total class act. I played OLB and after a big hit on their sideline I felt my helmet get slapped and someone said, "NOW THAT'S A HIT!". It was Talley, pretty much the highlight of my sports career :D

During the glory years of Bills football, when I played little loop in the Southtowns, Darryls daughter was a cheerleader on an opposing team. He would come to the games where she was cheering and when approached acted like a total class act. I played OLB and after a big hit on their sideline I felt my helmet get slapped and someone said, "NOW THAT'S A HIT!". It was Talley, pretty much the highlight of my sports career :D

Wow, that's awesome! I would have been psyched too!

Those of you who lived in B-lo/Rochester back in the day remember what Talley did when his time on the Bills was over and he was headed to ATL. He took out a full page ad in the paper and basically sent a love letter to the fans - us - who supported him all those years he played as a Bill. The guy is nothing short of 100% class, and he's embodied the idea of "heart" more than any other player in Bills history. If it's true that the organization didn't take him up on his offer to help, then someone at one bills drive needs to get smacked. We suck. We've sucked for TEN FUGGIN YEARS!!!! If you have the chance to utilize a resource who knows what it means to be a champion, you take advantage of it! I would love to see some of the former players - particularly those from the SB years - with more of an active role in the organization.

You know, I've always been one to admit very quickly that, as often as regular Joes make sense from time to time, the real professionals are the ones who are running the team and who do this for a living. But you know what? I'm starting to think that decision makers for this team are nothing but a bunch of clowns. This team has been turned into the laughing stock of the NFL and it's just plain embarrassing. It's time to bring some winners through the front door, especially the ones who are already lining up.

Yep, I remember... he remains my all-time favorite Bills player.

Nice post!

Yep, I remember... he remains my all-time favorite Bills player.

Nice post!

:thumbsup:

I still get fired up whenever I see clips of him on the sidelines trying to get the guys fired up...they broke the mold with that guy.

Talley is right ,Kyle Williams (95)is the only one on D playing worth a lick. Fitz needs to hit the weight room, he looked small and soft in press conference. If strengthened up he could make the big throws and be are QB of the future because he is a great leader and is tough as nails. Great over all post.

You really can't find fault with anything Talley said (wrote). I know I left before the end of the 3rd quarter of a home Bills game last Sunday for the first time in my life. They are a complete joke.

If what's happening on the field doesn't wake up the old man to put his best effort into winning, nothing will. I am still willing to give Nix/Gailey a chance here, but we better see some drastic changes by next season.

Damn...I forgot what the good times were like in the 90s :blush::thumbsup:

Those were teams that played with heart and soul - they cared about being the best. Talley was such a great and somewhat underrated player. This team so badly needs an impassioned leaader on defense that can back it up his play...We should sign Talley to a one year contract...he shouldn't have a problem beating any of our current starting LBs out :ph34r:

Leonard $@&%*@$ Smith. Yea.This sorry ass team has nobody like him.

I'm pretty sure what the response will be, but if we had ANY talent up front, I think Whitner could be Leonard Smith-like.

Darryl Talley. Love the guy. But if he plays better in SB 25, Bills win. He would tell you he had one of the worst games of his life.

I'm pretty sure what the response will be, but if we had ANY talent up front, I think Whitner could be Leonard Smith-like.

Darryl Talley. Love the guy. But if he plays better in SB 25, Bills win. He would tell you he had one of the worst games of his life.

Shhh, Talley is busy re-living history and playing cheerleader. He conveniently forgets that his team had FOUR chances to win the Super Bowl but those "football players" couldn't stop partying long enough to actually win the most important !@#$ing game of their lives. He apparently has forgotten that Dallas hung 52 points on their assess!

I love it when guys who couldn't get it done B word about guys who can't get it done. Talley's and the rest of his "football player" defense gave up 139 points in four SB games. I'm getting a little sick of these "formers" talking about how great they used to be. Personally, I don't give a crap how many times they went to the SB, ONE win would have been nice. Anyone remember any of the silver medalists from the last few Olympics? Me neither.

"HEY LOOK AT ME! WE WENT TO THE SUPER BOWL FOUR TIMES AND GOT BLOWN THE !@#$ OUT!"

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

Shhh, Talley is busy re-living history and playing cheerleader. He conveniently forgets that his team had FOUR chances to win the Super Bowl but those "football players" couldn't stop partying long enough to actually win the most important !@#$ing game of their lives. He apparently has forgotten that Dallas hung 52 points on their assess!

I love it when guys who couldn't get it done B word about guys who can't get it done. Talley's and the rest of his "football player" defense gave up 139 points in four SB games. I'm getting a little sick of these "formers" talking about how great they used to be. Personally, I don't give a crap how many times they went to the SB, ONE win would have been nice. Anyone remember any of the silver medalists from the last few Olympics? Me neither.

"HEY LOOK AT ME! WE WENT TO THE SUPER BOWL FOUR TIMES AND GOT BLOWN THE !@#$ OUT!"

Reading is fundamental. Where in his post did he say how great he was. Talley is on the wall of fame for a reason. He is up for consideration for the pro football hall of fame

for a reason. No player plays well every game. Or plays perfectly ever. He was a great player for the Bills though. And there is no one on this Bills team who can even be mentioned in the same sentence as a player or a leader. He got it done more than he didn't. Your post is what's not getting it done.

I think you mean Bob Sanders IR-like.

"One of the greatest moments for me as a professional football player came when John Havlicek stopped me at a party & introduced himself. (Like I didn't know who one of the best players in NBA history was.) He called me over to where he was standing & said "I admire the way you play football. You play the game the old fashioned way. The way the game's supposed to be played." I was floored & flattered beyond belief. John Havlicek thought I was good at what I did. He noticed that I busted ass day in & day out. What I'm getting at is this: Football players of this generation need to decide if what they want is to someday be somewhere & have someone with John Havlicek's caliber tell you the same thing. It's as simple as that.

Here are four more lines that some of you will find interesting:

"Synopsis: 95's the only one on D playing with a motor. Otherwise they don't have the personnel to play that defense & gotta draft for them."

"95 needs a supporting cast. Draft around him next year."

Take it for what it is worth, but I found it interesting to get the perspective of ex-player who doesn't have to watch what he says because he works for ESPN or CBS.

Maybe Talley should go in the locker room & do the rant and hit some of these guys in the mouth and it might change a few of them ???

That was great to here that from a GREAT BILLS PLAYER Thanks !!!

Reading is fundamental. Where in his post did he say how great he was. Talley is on the wall of fame for a reason. He is up for consideration for the pro football hall of fame

for a reason. No player plays well every game. Or plays perfectly ever. He was a great player for the Bills though. And there is no one on this Bills team who can even be mentioned in the same sentence as a player or a leader. He got it done more than he didn't. Your post is what's not getting it done.

0-4 when it mattered the most. I'm getting really tired of hearing Kelly, Thomas, Talley & Tasker talk about how great their team was and how good they were. They played some amazing football over their careers but in the ONE GAME where it mattered the most they didn't have the discipline to go to their !@#$ing hotel rooms, get some sleep and show up ready to play football.

Instead, they decided it was more important to pretend the SB was Mardi Gras.

The Vikings went to a lot of SB's too, think anyone gives a crap?

WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP! If holding on to what the 90's Bills did is all we've got left that we might as well let the team leave.

That's a pretty cool story.

Talley remains one of my favorite all-time Bills. Guy was a straight baller, as tough as they came.

@ Mike in Syracuse. A little bit of perspective could do you a lot of good. Observe:

Talley: 0-4 in Super Bowls

Current Bills team: 0-4 in regular season games

There's a world of difference between the two. Daryl Talley has an absolute right to crack on these bums.

0-4 when it mattered the most. I'm getting really tired of hearing Kelly, Thomas, Talley & Tasker talk about how great their team was and how good they were. They played some amazing football over their careers but in the ONE GAME where it mattered the most they didn't have the discipline to go to their !@#$ing hotel rooms, get some sleep and show up ready to play football.

WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP! If holding on to what the 90's Bills did is all we've got left that we might as well let the team leave.

Going to 4 straight Superbowls is a huge accomplishment in and of itself. It takes a lot of wins just to get to the big stage. Some of the greatest players never made it at all.

I do think that the sooner the Bills can move on from the past, the sooner they can become their OWN team. But Talley couldn't be more right about this group of spoiled punks. Whitner and Maybin were given more money than most people can dream of and they haven't proven anything in their football careers to justify it. To sit here as a fan and read their moronic Twitter posts about manicures and pedicures and going out to the nicest restaurants in town, it's just insulting to everyone who actually works hard in their life to make a buck. These aren't the kind of guys I want on my team.

Edited by Got_Wood

Why don't you leave if they are that bad, and you are sick of hearing former Bills players talk?

I'm sure another team like the Eagles or the Jets could use your cynical attitude... we'd be better off not having you as a Bills fan anyways if you can't appreciate what DT was trying to say- very rude.

@ Mike in Syracuse. A little bit of perspective could do you a lot of good. Observe:

Talley: 0-4 in Super Bowls

Current Bills team: 0-4 in regular season games

There's a world of difference between the two. Daryl Talley has an absolute right to crack on these bums.

Talley is one of my all-time favorites, the guy played his ass off. What I witnessed on Sunday was the anti-Talley's on the field. Minimal effort and no pride.