NO more signs inside The Ralph

Flutie Flakes

The keeper of the Batavia Party Zone sign informed me this morning that after a lengthy conversation this week with Chris Voigt (Director of Operations and Event Services), there will be NO SIGNS PERMITTED INSIDE OF THE STADIUM until further notice. He referred him to the stadium guide, which states the following, "banners and signs may not be affixed, hung, or held over the field level ring wall".

End of story, no exceptions, no signs what so ever along the wall. My friend asked if there was anyone else he could speak with and Mr. Voigt stated that this decision rested with him and that there was no one else my friend could speak with. When pressed why they were implementing these changes this year, he implied that they trying to make for a more "family friendly" experience at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

I ask all of you this, how do signs like "Batavia Party Zone", "Skid Row" and the like tarnish the atmosphere within the stadium? None of these signs are offensive or derogatory and based upon the huge response I received from my last blog, are a big part of the fan experience at the stadium. Many people watching on television specifically seek out the signs and they are also found on the Madden games. They provide "a unique brand" for our stadium and banning them is IMHO a poor decision on the part of stadium officials.

If officials are truly concerned about the content of signs within the stadium, they could consider an annual review of each sign and the placement of a permanent seal or sticker that labels the banner as an "approved" sign for hanging within the stadium. Only signs that are approved would be allowed to be hung along the field level wall. However, my gut feeling on this is that they are paving the way to utilize the interior wall for marketing and advertising.

Slightly misleading title, don't ya think? NO more signs at the Ralph? No - just no more signs on the walls.

That said, I agree that the No Fun League is getting out of control and its trickling down to individual stadiums.

I personally am completely offended by the Batavia Party Zone.

When pressed why they were implementing these changes this year, he implied that they trying to make for a more "family friendly" experience at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

However, my gut feeling on this is that they are paving the way to utilize the interior wall for marketing and advertising.

The family friendly line is a smoke screen. Your gut feeling is absolutely correct.

When looking for motives for NFL behavior, never look further than the money.

If you let one guy have a sign, you need to let everyone have a sign. Then some random stadium worker has to decide whether or not that sign is acceptable. Obviously hanging a giant banner that says "Bills Stink" would be a problem. With fan morale at a very low level, they don't want the hassle.

I suggest people watch games on TV carefully to see if there are fan banners on the "lower rim" of any NFL stadium. I tried to take note while watching several games after hearing about the Batavia Party Zone incident. I didn't see any banners in the Jets stadium, but that may be due mostly to the stadium design. I only saw one very small inconspicuous banner in Kansas City. My best guess right now is the NFL implemented this policy for financial reasons, since the lower rim is the only portion of the stadium where banners can be seen while the cameras are covering the action on the field.

If you let one guy have a sign, you need to let everyone have a sign. Then some random stadium worker has to decide whether or not that sign is acceptable. Obviously hanging a giant banner that says "Bills Stink" would be a problem. With fan morale at a very low level, they don't want the hassle.

Yeah. IMO, there is an air of this being a pre-emptive action. As the losing continues (which, it looks very much like it will) there will be fan blowback, and it's not entirely stupid of them to remove the most visible evidence / means of disgruntlement.

But also, I wouldn't be surprised if the walls are covered with advertisements (like the video screens soccer fields during the World Cup) in the near future.

pansy @ss liberals.these are the same morons who would expell your kid from school for a year because he brought a squirt gun in to class

This is a move by conservatives... you know, the bottom line, squash any forms of protest or creativity that doesn't conform...!!

This guy is probably loaded and driving a custom Mercedes and has a large portfolio, since the decision rests with him, put 2 and 2 together better than THAT.

Edited by BmoreBills

I agree and you don't see fan's signs on the dasher boards in hockey - right? This is no different.

I thought bags aren't allowed in the stadium to begin with? You could stretch the sign meanings. "Batavia Party Zone" could be interpreted to imply that there is some sort of fun that includes drinking going on in that area or "zone". Jeez, that sign has been there FOREVER. "Skid Row" could be taken to mean that some unsavory, down on their luck fans reside in that section on game day. Two thoughts: One, they have to ban those signs because they are not going to allow any negative signs as the season wears on. 40,000 empty seats should get the message across. Two, they are getting away from anything that has to do with drinking or implies drinking. Of course, the COORS LIGHT Rockpile is OK because that is paid advertising.

If officials are truly concerned about the content of signs within the stadium, they could consider an annual review of each sign and the placement of a permanent seal or sticker that labels the banner as an "approved" sign for hanging within the stadium. Only signs that are approved would be allowed to be hung along the field level wall. However, my gut feeling on this is that they are paving the way to utilize the interior wall for marketing and advertising.

It's unfortunate because it seems like hanging the sign was something you enjoyed, however your suggestion seems unrealistic and an awful lot of aggrivation and waste of resources from the Bills part to allow fans to hang signs. Perhaps there was an incident regarding a hung banner in the past? Seems like they would hold off on the rule until the marketing and advertising was on the wall.

I agree and you don't see fan's signs on the dasher boards in hockey - right? This is no different.

Stupid analogy.

1) With the glass they cannot hang signs on the boards.

2) The inside of the board is in the field of play.

3) The NHL already sells advertising there.

4) You can, and sometimes do, see people holding up signs on the glass and they are not stopped unless they are blocking someone elses view.

pansy @ss liberals.these are the same morons who would expell your kid from school for a year because he brought a squirt gun in to class

"Pansy @ss liberals?" The NFL is one of the most conservative organizations on earth. You have to be an individual "sportsman" to own a franchise. Which means you have to be very, very wealthy (at least for now...I believe the NFL is right about halfway through its "jump the shark" moment). I would be shocked if any of them ever voted for a liberal in their lives.

With very few exceptions, the league and its plantation owners care about one thing and one thing only: Dinero. They only care about the fans, the players, the taxpayers and the heritage of the game to the extent that it impacts "their" money.

Of course, in the contemporary world of Tea Party logic ("Keep the government's hands off my Medicare"), conservative probably does mean liberal. And the Bills are going to win the next Super Bowl.

Stupid analogy.

1) With the glass they cannot hang signs on the boards.

2) The inside of the board is in the field of play.

3) The NHL already sells advertising there.

4) You can, and sometimes do, see people holding up signs on the glass and they are not stopped unless they are blocking someone elses view.

It looks like field level ring wall might be where the NFL is determining the point at which the field of play begins and if the Bills or the NFL want to sell or display advertising there, they might not want someone to cover it up. Is that so hard to understand?

Yeah, cowardice. That's it.

It is actually an NFL rule and not a Bills rule.

Seriously, if you hate everything so much why are you a Bills fan?

Its cowardace on the part of the Bills Org.

BWA! Best post I've read all day. Awesome that someone could take a marketing decision and turn it into a political issue.

I remember back in the 1970 and 1980s when I sold programs at the Dallas Cowboy games, there were tons of home made signs along the front row. My brother used to make one every week. He even had one referenced by the narrator on an NFL Films episode. But I've noticed over the last 10 years or so you don't see them anymore. It's not just at the Ralph, but pretty much everywhere. Now I go to a lot of Seattle Seahawks games and there aren't any there.

I wonder though that if the NFL runs off the fans they have now with their "family friendly" direction, who will buy tickets? With the high prices of tickets, parking, concessions, etc, people with families with kids (and all their expenses) can't afford to take the whole family out to the game anyway.

Edited by reddogblitz

Yeah, freaking conservatives. The same guys who don't want you to pass gas in public and then get all offended when you use the word "cyclone" or blink too often. I hate that.

Didn't make sense? Well, neither did yours.

---------

As for the original point, try writing to Mr. Wilson. It's very possible this is one of those decisions that he would not approve of, a decision made by some low-down the food chain underling for no particular reason. Not saying it will work, but there's a chance that Mr. Wilson might want to help. He's proven fan-friendly through the years.

Edited by Thurman#1

I agree with the bills on this. As this team continues to lose, I could envision some very negative stuff showing up on signs hung over the wall. Given the design of the stands, the fans in row 1, on the wall are not the big money types you see at other venues, they are pretty much the "crown royal boys" knucklehead crowd looking for attention, especially outside the 20 yard lines. So the Bills are just heading an ugly situation off at the pass.