Brian Brohm, state your case..

Brand J

There is absolutely no entertainment value in watching the Bills "play" football. They are currently led by a Dick Jauron clone and I'd like to have a reason to turn on Bills games moving forward. The year they went 3-13 (I believe it was 2003..?) I watched every game, because I was interested in seeing who would be a player in the future. I'd never imagine that 7 years later, I'd still be waiting for a competitive team. Here is why I am FOR starting Brian Brohm:

He may not currently be better than Edwards, though this is debatable, but he has something that Edwards lacks - the ability to improve. Edwards has over 30 career starts, while Brian Brohm has a single career start. One. If I am going to watch a team fail and fail miserably, I don't want to see the team being led by a 4th year, emotionless player, who looks worse than most rookies. Brian Brohm was a highly successful collegiate player, who has yet to transfer those skills to the NFL level. With extended playing time, he would sink or swim as a starter and we'd know for sure what we have in him. For those already chalking him up as a failure, allow him multiple starts to prove, or disprove himself, before being absolutely sure in your assertion. He seemed to make quick decisions in the preseason and also threw a nice football. I realize that our OL is a siege, but a quicker decision maker could do a lot to mask OL deficiencies. Edwards may be the slowest decision maker in the entire NFL. He is also the most reluctant QB to throw down the field and "throw open" his WRs. Give Brohm his shot, thereby giving me a reason to watch this team, this season.

I don't think it matters - none of the three QBs on the roster right now are the answer. Best case scenario for the Bills is to draft a QB or OT in the first round next year and then draft the other position in the second round. During the offseason, trade for an older, veteran QB that can mentor the QB we draft.

I don't think it matters - none of the three QBs on the roster right now are the answer. Best case scenario for the Bills is to draft a QB or OT in the first round next year and then draft the other position in the second round. During the offseason, trade for an older, veteran QB that can mentor the QB we draft.

I think it definitely matters sullim.. Brohm isn't a 30 something, journeyman QB, with multiple starts under his belt. He is a young, unproven QB, who has enjoyed success in the past - albeit at the collegiate level. Find out what you have in him, the NFL always has stories about guys who finally find their way.

Edited by JayBaller10

Chan never gave him a fair chance in the preseason and what he did show, wasn't all that bad. Trent looked great, just like he did the past two years and then screws the pooch during the regular season. I say, give Brohm a chance, how much worse could it be?

This! :thumbsup:

There is absolutely no entertainment value in watching the Bills "play" football. They are currently led by a Dick Jauron clone and I'd like to have a reason to turn on Bills games moving forward. The year they went 3-13 (I believe it was 2003..?) I watched every game, because I was interested in seeing who would be a player in the future. I'd never imagine that 7 years later, I'd still be waiting for a competitive team. Here is why I am FOR starting Brian Brohm:

He may not currently be better than Edwards, though this is debatable, but he has something that Edwards lacks - the ability to improve. Edwards has over 30 career starts, while Brian Brohm has a single career start. One. If I am going to watch a team fail and fail miserably, I don't want to see the team being led by a 4th year, emotionless player, who looks worse than most rookies. Brian Brohm was a highly successful collegiate player, who has yet to transfer those skills to the NFL level. With extended playing time, he would sink or swim as a starter and we'd know for sure what we have in him. For those already chalking him up as a failure, allow him multiple starts to prove, or disprove himself, before being absolutely sure in your assertion. He seemed to make quick decisions in the preseason and also threw a nice football. I realize that our OL is a siege, but a quicker decision maker could do a lot to mask OL deficiencies. Edwards may be the slowest decision maker in the entire NFL. He is also the most reluctant QB to throw down the field and "throw open" his WRs. Give Brohm his shot, thereby giving me a reason to watch this team, this season.

2001 was the year they went 3-13, but yes, I too am utterly shocked that we're essentially sitting in the same boat in 2010. I'm sure the Bills have given up on Trent as the QB for the future... after all, this is the final year of his rookie contract. How can they possibly extend him? What on earth could he do to justify it at this point besides literally morphing into a different quarterback altogether? Anyway, I'm all for giving Brohm a shot: I saw nothing from him in the preseason to suggest he didn't look NFL ready. His supporting cast may not have been very good, but he was a gamer and showed good pocket presence. I'm still surprised Brian Brohm didn't even get a sniff with the first unit. The only explanations are that Chan sees something he doesn't like in practice or he's giving him a little time to develop before throwing him to the wolves.

Chan never gave him a fair chance in the preseason and what he did show, wasn't all that bad. Trent looked great, just like he did the past two years and then screws the pooch during the regular season. I say, give Brohm a chance, how much worse could it be?

This is also largely a misnomer.. Trent only had one good preseason game - it was the game against the Bungles. He was terrible against the Redskins, was terrible against the Colts until he hit a wide open Lee, and was pedestrian against the Lions. Make no mistake about it, it was the CJ Spiller show. Since the offense had so much success moving the ball and scoring TDs, we'd like to think that Edwards had something to do with it. He didn't.

IIRC, the first team didn't score a TD last season in preseason, so hardly great.

This is also largely a misnomer.. Trent only had one good preseason game - it was the game against the Bungles. He was terrible against the Redskins, was terrible against the Colts until he hit a wide open Lee, and was pedestrian against the Lions. Make no mistake about it, it was the CJ Spiller show. Since the offense had so much success moving the ball and scoring TDs, we'd like to think that Edwards had something to do with it. He didn't.

He saw Brohm every practice. The Packers saw him every practice, and put him on the Developmental Squad.

Give it up!

He saw Brohm every practice. The Packers saw him every practice, and put him on the Developmental Squad.

Give it up!

Yes, because players who haven't played extensively, never turn their careers around. You're right, the book is already out on him, he can never improve. Lesser QBs have been given more of an opportunity to prove themselves. You think every QB comes into the NFL ready to throw 300 yd, 3 TD games?! You could take your stance if he had never proved to be a capable player in the past, but since he has, he could absolutely improve with experience and confidence <--- the most important aspect to any player's game. Those who think otherwise, haven't played a sport on any level..

Edited by JayBaller10

I honestly think Brohm is there b/c he is actually worse than what we saw today. Just guessing. At this point, they may as well pick up the best scrambler available off the street and start him. At least it will offer something interesting to watch

I was in the new coach new O, give Trent a chance to win the job. Running out of bounds on 4th and 13 was ridiculous.

I'm not going to watch another game with Trent Edwards as the starter. I've given enough sunday afternoons to this bozo who doesn't have any spirit or courage and who isn't a leader and who has never proven himself. So what if Gailey thinks it's the offensive lines fault - that stinks for sure, but Edwards, unlike most other QB's, doesn't do anything to help, doesn't ever make things happen on his own. I can't sit through another game of predictable dump-offs and throwing six or seven yards short of the first down marker on third and long, leading the reciever into a nasty hit, to boot.

Brohm looked good in the pre-season. He's got tools that could help our team. He's got a fast, fast ball, that goes twenty yards no problem. He makes up the dumb penalty yards with ease, and give the offense a chance, and throws downfield, and has heart. There's a lot of reasons to, and no damn reason not to. Really, why the hell wasn't he thrown in there half way through this last third quarter? I know the reason - Gailey put it on the offensive line. Crap to that, man. They knew what line they had going into this season.

Man am I pissed! This team doesn't look close enough to compete in another year or two if all we're depending on is drafting - especially with the history we have with draft picks.

And why the hell do we look so damn outmatched in every phase of the game these last few years? What is up with this team? We need some passion - and Edwards needs to stop getting the chance to suck it out of us.

Very well said! I commend you for a solid logical argument for cutting TE and giving BB his chance.

Trent's had 3+ years to show what he has and who he is on the field. It's not going in the right direction for him or for the team. He looks to be completely damaged goods out there. He's playing scared, the lack of protection is making him more scared, and he just needs to take a seat.

Brohm has some semblance of upside and will take deep shots. At the very least he makes this season interesting for Bills fans. It's a poor move to go entirely on fan reaction and moves that sell tickets, but I don't think this is about that only. It's also about the confidence the team has in its leader and the sense that it's moving in the right direction. I just don't get that sense at all looking at them on the field and on the sidelines.

I think Brohm would fail, probably often, this season. But I think he would be going down swinging, taking risks, doing some of the things that are necessary to win football games and the confidence of your teammates. Maybe I'm wrong and there's a whole lot I'm not seeing that happens in practice, but I have not seen anything from Trent that makes me a believer.

So far, there has only been one opposed to him starting - Throwit. Throwit's weak argument was countered. Where are the rest who believe that Brohm shouldn't be handed the keys? Let's hear from you..

Edited by JayBaller10

IF they start Brohm they would have to make Edwards third sting.

I would love to see it happen because Trent just does not have the tools on gameday, we have 3 yrs of proof.

Brohm we don't know about so if we are going 3-13 rather see Brohm take his lumps vs Edwards who plays like a kitty.

If we're going to demote Trent (please God) then put in Fitz. We saw last year that he can elevate a bad team to win more than half our games. Many times making plays on his own. Go back and watch the highlights from the fish and jets games last year. How about we try to develop the whole team and try to win some games and make our guys believe they can? Fitz can give us that. If we put Brohm in we're putting the whole team on hold to see what one guy can do. OK if you want to play for #1 pick in the draft I guess.

If we're going to demote Trent (please God) then put in Fitz. We saw last year that he can elevate a bad team to win more than half our games. Many times making plays on his own. Go back and watch the highlights from the fish and jets games last year. How about we try to develop the whole team and try to win some games and make our guys believe they can? Fitz can give us that. If we put Brohm in we're putting the whole team on hold to see what one guy can do. OK if you want to play for #1 pick in the draft I guess.

Is that not what we're doing already?

Give it up!

As a reminder, he was on the squad because Green Bay only carried two quarterbacks. When we picked him up, Green Bay countered. He came to us because he figured he would get more playing time and better opportunities. I agree with most of the posters on this thread. Give the kid a chance at a couple of games. Its not like Edwards is suddenly going to get better overnight.

He may surprise us all. Or he may not. We will never know until we try.

I don't know how we have wasted this many games on Trent when he has shown us absolutely nothing. 30 games.. are you kidding me? Get the hell off my team. I would rather watch anybody else. - All for Brohm getting some play. I don't care if he isn't better, at least I'm not watching TE anymore.

How do you know unless you try ---- I'm still all for bringing in Jeff Garcia -- you all said it was stupid in the offseason (hows it lookin now) but he would leave the OFL or UFL what ever it is (and would give us a better chance to win) to play in the NFL again . Hell bring back Flutie !!! But at least go in a direction that there may be an upside that the out come isn't all ready pretty much predetermined !!!! I was all for giving Trent the benefit of the dought but after seeing the way Phillip Rivers handled himself in the post game interview after their lose and the way Trent interviews after a loss there is a distinct difference in being a leader !!

Edited by T master

it's impossible for anyone to be as bad as trent. If the other two are of the same skill level... well at least i'll have two seconds of hope every time they ATTEMPT to air it out to a receiver. With trent i have zero seconds of hope. With trent... ball snapped --> one yard pass or sack --> end of play.

Please Chan sit edwards and start someone else.