Great Sully Article on Chan Today!

Rico

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/jerry-sullivan/article187655.ece

He spells out exactly what I'm looking for from Chan this year:

Chan, the fans aren't asking for the moon, just the knowledge that a bumbler isn't in charge:

So get the plays in on time. Don't squander your timeouts. Don't punt from the opposing 32. Don't roll out Trent on fourth-and-2.

Don't struggle to get the challenge flag out of your pocket.

Don't play not to lose -- or to lose by a respectable margin.

:worthy: Edited by Rico

And Lil Donte completely throws Jauron under the bus:

"You could never question Jauron's character. He was a really nice guy. He looked out for everybody. He would never throw anybody under the bus. But I guess when you're that nice a person, you can't be a head football coach sometimes. You're probably better off as a position coach or a coordinator.
:lol:

I can't hate Jauron. He was a classy guy on and off the field. And he didn't install himself as HC, or give himself an extension. That being said, I'm glad he's no longer the HC.

Hate is a strong word, I don't hate the guy either, but I do loathe him for wasting 4 years of the franchise's time.

What a waste of time that era of Bills football was.

From Gailey...I want to have a reason to watch each Sunday. Much like a hacker playing golf I want that one or two sweet shots that make you play (watch)again next weekend.

I really don't expect much from the team because we are sorely lacking in several positions, but give me a reason to watch each week.

Chan's true impact on this team will reveal itself in the 4th quarter of the first close game. Very interested to see whether this team finally finds ways to win instead of lose. Something tells me they will.

The way to win a close game in the 4th quarter is named CJ.

Im going to be positive today.

Jauron wasn't a good HC, but he put together a GREAT defensive backfield and our pass defense was always decent under him. I really hope that continues on to this year as we change defenses, I'm actually a bit worried about it.

Donte hit the nail on the head right there.

He did, but it's something that he probably shouldn't say to the press. Donte needs to figure out that there are things you can say to your teammates and things you can say to the press. You don't throw a former coach under the bus like that in public - especially someone as well liked and respected as Jauron. Its simply unprofessional. I'm guessing Donte is upset that he lost his starting spot last year and this is his way of venting that frustration.

Donte has proven time and time again he doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut. If only his play equalled his talk...

He did, but it's something that he probably shouldn't say to the press. Donte needs to figure out that there are things you can say to your teammates and things you can say to the press. You don't throw a former coach under the bus like that in public - especially someone as well liked and respected as Jauron. Its simply unprofessional. I'm guessing Donte is upset that he lost his starting spot last year and this is his way of venting that frustration.

Donte has proven time and time again he doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut. If only his play equalled his talk...

I disagree on several levels. First of all, Donte is a defensive leader on the field and in the clubhouse. He really has become the spokesman for the team.

He really didn't trash Jauron, and was quite complimentary, in fact. This was more of a boost for Chan and company than it was a knock on Dick. (Yes, it was a slight knock on Dick, too. But it was gentle.)

Donte has a way of saying things that works quite well, I think. He finds a way to say things that doesn't paint him too far into a corner. This week's "guarantee" is a perfect example. He really didn't guarantee a win, if you read it properly.

I like a guy like that.

It's only throwing someone under the bus if there is some kind of confidentiality involved. What Dante says is everything that I've observed (like thousands of Bills fans have observed I should say) from Jauron for over 3 years. The play calling flops are as obvious as it gets. Jauron had a 3 year opportunity to deliver some level of success and simply found new ways to lose. It should be revealing how some players on defense that had a hard time getting on the field in the first place moved onto success for playoff teams. Anyone remember a certain CB that was in the Super Bowl last year. How many injuries did we need on D to finally get him on the field. Jim Leonhard playing for the Ravens/Jets?

I would agree that Jauron is well-liked, but I doubt he's well-respected. Looking back at his career, I don't know how he became a DC, much less a HC gig. It's not like the Packers had a great secondary, or the Jags had a great defense, when he was DB coach and DC of those teams, respectively.

I would agree that Jauron is well-liked, but I doubt he's well-respected. Looking back at his career, I don't know how he became a DC, much less a HC gig. It's not like the Packers had a great secondary, or the Jags had a great defense, when he was DB coach and DC of those teams, respectively.

This the same Jauron that you said would be the subject of a "bidding war" if he wasn't resigned well before the end of the 2008 season?

Well, I don't agree with everything Sully writes, but the man isn't completely wrong here.

I would LOVE Chan to surprise everyone and make us a playoff contender. But I can be completely satisfied if everything he has done this preseason, he keeps on doing for the rest of the season: steady, consistent progress.

There is ONE thing that will be absolutely essential: We don't blow games in the final five minutes. How many times did we watch victory slip away from the last minute in the last few years. As long as we don't blow games stupidly, we may stand a chance.

I can't hate Jauron. He was a classy guy on and off the field. And he didn't install himself as HC, or give himself an extension. That being said, I'm glad he's no longer the HC.

The question with Jauron is why? Why bring in TO then get rid of at least a mediocre OC that might actually know how to use him? Why hitch your wagon to bumbling idiots for OC's when it was the offense that failed you in Chicago? Year after year experienced OC's became available yet he chose Fairchild, Schonert, and AVP. Einstein's definition of insanity over and over and voer.....