Is CJ's tweet a hint that his contract is done?

Linkage

What’s Spiller hinting at?

Chris Brown

Posted August 4, 2010 – 11:19 pm

Tags: C.J. Spiller

Bills RB C.J. Spiller let everyone on twitter know that (t0day) Thursday is his birthday and the team’s top draft choice may have dropped a hint regarding his current situation.

CJSPILLER Well I wanna give God the glory for lettin me see another b-day yep the kid has turned 23 yrs old today I got feelin it’s going be special.

Here’s hoping it’s special for all the reasons Bills fans want it to be. Happy birthday C.J.

The whole situation is discouraging. I hope it's not the case that Spiller simply doesn't want to be in Buffalo :doh:

It's not. He's been asked many times about coming to Buffalo, and his comments have always been positive. He's not another Wills.

It's not. He's been asked many times about coming to Buffalo, and his comments have always been positive. He's not another Wills.

his parents OTOH, were visibly sad that we took him, they wanted him to go to jax, so he would be close to home, and they could go to every game.

I certainly hope so, sign that contract, then buy yourself an escalade for a birthday present CJ, then get yo ass to camp boy, you got work to do!!!

I hope my boss will give me a raise or a new contract on my Birthday every year.

Hard to fault them for that. Spiller's a good kid regardless.

they also wanted him to transfer out of clemson to a school closer to home (FSU i think), and wanted him to leave school early for the pros to get the $$. They havent always had his best interests in mind

Linkage

Chris Brown

Bills RB C.J. Spiller let everyone on twitter know that (t0day) Thursday is his birthday and the team’s top draft choice may have dropped a hint regarding his current situation.

CJSPILLER Well I wanna give God the glory for lettin me see another b-day yep the kid has turned 23 yrs old today I got feelin it’s going be special.

Here’s hoping it’s special for all the reasons Bills fans want it to be. Happy birthday C.J.

If this were a hint, it would be the worst hint in the history of hints.

his parents OTOH, were visibly sad that we took him, they wanted him to go to jax, so he would be close to home, and they could go to every game.

I'm sure the parent of every football player wants them to go to a team close to where they leave, preferably with a good track record. Wouldn't you?

The whole situation is discouraging. I hope it's not the case that Spiller simply doesn't want to be in Buffalo :doh:

I'm a big cynic, but I don't think this is the case. Imagine if you were CJ coming to a team with no stars. He'll be the toast of the entire region if he's a stud. He hasn't stepped foot on the field and if he's as advertised he'll be the face of the organization in no time at all.

they also wanted him to transfer out of clemson to a school closer to home (FSU i think), and wanted him to leave school early for the pros to get the $$. They havent always had his best interests in mind

That's a harsh interpretation . . .

So, as a Christian, CJ would temper his feelings and comments to match the context in which he finds himself? Gee, that must make for interesting shifting points of view. God forbid [no pun intended] one should simply be a Christian and speak one's mind in every situation. I hope your comment isn't representative of Christian beliefs.

Unless this is a Chris Brown special hint, there is nothing there to get excited about.

Really. Why would Chris Brown have to speculate on whether a deal has been reached. He would know and simply report it. Why keep it a secret?

So, as a Christian, CJ would temper his feelings and comments to match the context in which he finds himself? Gee, that must make for interesting shifting points of view. God forbid [no pun intended] one should simply be a Christian and speak one's mind in every situation. I hope your comment isn't representative of Christian beliefs.

Speaking as a pastor ... Let's say ... I do not want to move to 'Nebraska' (for example), and I am free to say that I don't want to go there. If my denomination moved me there (as an assignment, out of my control) ... it would be rude to tell the parishioners there that I really didn't want to be there, so I would be quiet and be a good servant.

That being said ... expectations for a pastor & a football player are slightly different.

I also read a story that when Spiller was to attend elementary school that his parents gave strong consideration to home schooling little CJ, before finally relenting to his wishes and allowing him to attend the neighborhood school, which was right across the street from their house.

There's also a rumor going around that the holdup in contract negotiations revolves around a desire by the Spiller family to rent out a corner of the practice facility so they can always be closer to their son.

Really. Why would Chris Brown have to speculate on whether a deal has been reached. He would know and simply report it. Why keep it a secret?

Yeah, the bills tell chris brown everything and they let him say whatever he wants :D . Brown has always speculated stuff like this and the bills down tell him everything.

Spiller isn't signed yet because he wants more money than he deserves. The Bills aren't being cheap and didn't need to free up any money by releasing Schobel. The picks ahead and behind Spiller are already signed so there is a fairly obvious contract amount that the Bills are willing to offer Spiller. Spiller is probably asking for a lot more than his 9th pick status should net him, mostly because he's the top runningback in the draft. I don't think Spiller has any problem with playing in Buffalo, he is just another typical greedy rookie who thinks he deserves a huge contract before he's ever touched the playing field. I am a big proponent of there being a fixed rookie salary based on the draft round and placement in the round. All rookies should have to play their first season at the rookie contract rate and then can negotiate a performance based long term contract after their first season. This way every rookie would be in camp on time and all these crazy huge contracts for guys who have never played in the NFL would stop.

Spiller isn't signed yet because he wants more money than he deserves. The Bills aren't being cheap and didn't need to free up any money by releasing Schobel. The picks ahead and behind Spiller are already signed so there is a fairly obvious contract amount that the Bills are willing to offer Spiller. Spiller is probably asking for a lot more than his 9th pick status should net him, mostly because he's the top runningback in the draft. I don't think Spiller has any problem with playing in Buffalo, he is just another typical greedy rookie who thinks he deserves a huge contract before he's ever touched the playing field. I am a big proponent of there being a fixed rookie salary based on the draft round and placement in the round. All rookies should have to play their first season at the rookie contract rate and then can negotiate a performance based long term contract after their first season. This way every rookie would be in camp on time and all these crazy huge contracts for guys who have never played in the NFL would stop.

You might be very wrong about this.

The range between the 8th pick and the 10th pick is pretty wide.

Eighth overall pick, Rolando McClain, five-year contract, $40 million total, $23 million guaranteed

Tenth overall pick, Tyson Alualu, five-year deal, $28 million total, $17.5 million guaranteed

The range which the Bills and Spiller's camp have to work within is $12 million in total value, and $5.5 million in guaranteed money.

There's a LOT of dollar bills between #8 and #10.

The other reason you might be wrong is that the reports are that it's not the money but the length of contract which is at issue.

Eighth overall pick, Rolando McClain, five-year contract, $40 million total, $23 million guaranteed

Tenth overall pick, Tyson Alualu, five-year deal, $28 million total, $17.5 million guaranteed

The range which the Bills and Spiller's camp have to work within is $12 million in total value, and $5.5 million in guaranteed money.

The other reason you might be wrong is that the reports are that it's not the money but the length of contract which is at issue.

I said the same thing in another thread. This is a huge swing in dollars under the slotting system between #8 and #10. RB's have a short shelf life and tend to want a longer term contract with lots of guaranteed jack up front. The FO is wise to bargain tough here.

. All rookies should have to play their first season at the rookie contract rate and then can negotiate a performance based long term contract after their first season. This way every rookie would be in camp on time and all these crazy huge contracts for guys who have never played in the NFL would stop.

Ok I have read this and similar things many times on this board now, and I don't totally disagree but, and it is a but I would think about if I was playing.

Vets salaries are based on the rookie scale that is determined by the market when rookies sign these outrages contracts, (I mean when they go FA) plus as rookies if they are drafted high, they make a lot. So, why would they agree to this RPS thing when they go to the bargaining table again?

And this performance their first season? What about Tebow's situation, chances are he won't see a lot of playing time for a bunch of reasons his first season, so he shouldn't be payed well until he is? He will be making the team plenty just by being there even if he touches the ball 5 times all year. 3 years might be more like it and most sign for 4ish so there is more security for them in that regard too. It is a lot to give up I think.

Lastly are they rfa or ufa when they don't sign 2nd year contracts?

They don't get paid (with money anyway, at least not legally if they do) in the whole college football experience and they make plenty of $ for their schools (which in effect are farm teams for the NFL).

I don't know.... I really can't see it happening, I could see a scale but a high one, kind of like the cap. There are a lot of issues with it though and I just can't see it getting far on the negotiating table

BTW I don't like the hold outs either but that is the way the business is right now.

One last thing happy birthday water bug!

I said the same thing in another thread. This is a huge swing in dollars under the slotting system between #8 and #10. RB's have a short shelf life and tend to want a longer term contract with lots of guaranteed jack up front. The FO is wise to bargain tough here.

Hey GL,

I bolded the part of your post which I find interesting.

I posted yesterday my speculation about length of contract.

Most rookie first round contracts are for five years.

By adding a year, the team would have to add guaranteed money which at first glance, would seem agreeable or even desirable to the player.

BUT…I can see an equally if not stronger argument for Spiller's camp seeking a four-year contract.

The reason is this: there is lots of speculation that when the smoke clears on the new CBA, that unfettered free agency will be made available to players after 4 years.

Because, as you point out, running backs have very short careers, does it not make some sense that Spiller's camp might want his rookie contract to expire at the time he is eligible for free agency?

I'm not saying that this is the case and I might be missing something. But anyways, just a speculative view of the situation.

Linkage

Chris Brown

this is the hint right?

I also read a story that when Spiller was to attend elementary school that his parents gave strong consideration to home schooling little CJ, before finally relenting to his wishes and allowing him to attend the neighborhood school, which was right across the street from their house.

There's also a rumor going around that the holdup in contract negotiations revolves around a desire by the Spiller family to rent out a corner of the practice facility so they can always be closer to their son.

:D

Anyone else think that with the release of Schobel, we might see CJ signed soon? I mean Ralph has more money now since they dont have to pay Schobel right?

Fixed.

In a season minus a salary cap (the only thing forcing RW to spend a given amount) the team has cut salary quite considerably. Last year, it was trading Peters for essentially 3 draft picks over 2 years. Now they've released Schobel, so his 8.28M is off the books. If the team made 40M last season, they're probably close to doing that again despite the ticket sales going south.

EDIT: Football Outsiders on Bills Payroll does an analysis here, and without Schobel's contract, the Bills are paying out 101.1M in salary this season, or about 15M less than the TV contract provides them.