jeff garcia

with all the quarterback questions going on right now does it make sense to anyone to reach out and sign a veteran free agent like jeff garcia. he was always a pretty decent qb. i know we passed on cullpepper who is now in the ufl. i just remember hearing somewhere that chan said it is not out of the question to sign someone who is a free agent. whats everybody think about garcia.i think he mainly ment with the whole free agent qb thing was possibly signing thigpen which i was never a big fan of tyler

ive just been thinking for quite some time now about garcia whats everybody think would he be a good fit in buffalo more than likely though its either trent fitz or brohm

and whats everyones problem with fitz as a starter is trent and brohm that better than him?

I am on board saying I think our QB situation is one of the worst in the NFL. I still stand behind my statement. I still get frustrated when I think about the QB we could have picked up. With that said, I don't think the Bills FO are going to make any kind of QB move. We are "stuck" with what we have. I think Chan thinks he can work his "magic" with one of these sub par QBs. He has had some success in the past. Time will tell.

I think we all need to stop grasping at straws like picking up Garcia and accept that TE, Fitz, or BB is going to be our QB.

oh i know ive come to grips with what is going to happen qb wise te fitz or brohm

i was just more posting that to say hey how is garcia still a free agent im just suprised and just wondering what peoples take on it were as far as do they think it would be a good idea and would he be a good fit

oh i know ive come to grips with what is going to happen qb wise te fitz or brohm

i was just more posting that to say hey how is garcia still a free agent im just suprised and just wondering what peoples take on it were as far as do they think it would be a good idea and would he be a good fit

I don't think he is a good fit for us. We are looking to the future and he gives little or no value to us in that regard. Additionally, he appears to be done. He cannot put anymore zip on the ball and his arm breaks down after playing so many games. I love his grit, toughness, attitude, and fight but he has no value to us. Too old and so on...

speaking of veteran free agents im only 25 i remeber the kelly days somewhat the superbowls and all that but a vet freeagent out there todd collins what led to his departure so quickly from buffalo i just remeber a couple years back when campbell was hurt he filled in pretty solid

was he not given a fair chance in buffalo? ne1 think we should of kept him around longer?

speaking of veteran free agents im only 25 i remeber the kelly days somewhat the superbowls and all that but a vet freeagent out there todd collins what led to his departure so quickly from buffalo i just remeber a couple years back when campbell was hurt he filled in pretty solid

was he not given a fair chance in buffalo? ne1 think we should of kept him around longer?

Todd Collins may have been rushed into the starting role a year or two earlier than the Bills would have liked. He did well, as a "game manager" while backing up Jim Kelly in 1995 and 1996. His game was very limited. He wasn't particularly mobile, he had good, not great, arm strength...he had some tools to develop, but, I think the coaches, Marv included, concluded that he was not a starting caliber NFL QB. He had a pretty nice career as a backup, but the fact that he hung around for so long, without ever competing for another starting position, is telling. You have to trust that his coaches over the years were aware of his limitations. Not a knock on the guy...he just was not the kind of QB you could build a team around.

well whatever does happen with our qb situation i just hope whoever plays does a decent job getting the ball around. doesnt everybody just get so frustrated. i thinks our wr corps are pretty good evans may be one of the best in the league but nobody knows it because whe never have ne1 to get him the ball enough.

so this "pecking order" comes out pretty soon right

with all the quarterback questions going on right now does it make sense to anyone to reach out and sign a veteran free agent like jeff garcia. he was always a pretty decent qb. i know we passed on cullpepper who is now in the ufl. i just remember hearing somewhere that chan said it is not out of the question to sign someone who is a free agent. whats everybody think about garcia.i think he mainly ment with the whole free agent qb thing was possibly signing thigpen which i was never a big fan of tyler

ive just been thinking for quite some time now about garcia whats everybody think would he be a good fit in buffalo more than likely though its either trent fitz or brohm

and whats everyones problem with fitz as a starter is trent and brohm that better than him?

A team that is committed to rebuilding through the draft does not sign 40 year old retread QBs.

A team that is committed to rebuilding through the draft does not sign 40 year old retread QBs.

Good point Albany.

Instead, the FO passes up a Tebow, Clausen, McCoy, and Campbell to name a few. Oh, I forgot, they picked Levi Brown. What a joke...

Another wait til next year situation for our QB situation. Who knows if they will even address this need next year?

I am not holding my breath and I am not lying to myself and thinking anyone on our roster is a quaility NFL starting QB.

So you watched Tyler Thigpen thoroughly in 2008- the only year he's ever played- when he threw for 18 TD's and 12 INT's, close to 2700 yards along with close to 400 yards rushing and 3 TD's in only 11 games for an absolutely putrid 2-14 Chiefs team (his WR's were rookie Dwayne Bowe, Mark Bradley and Devard Darling) and deduced that you were "never a big fan of his?" OK.

So you watched Tyler Thigpen thoroughly in 2008- the only year he's ever played- when he threw for 18 TD's and 12 INT's, close to 2700 yards along with close to 400 yards rushing and 3 TD's in only 11 games for an absolutely putrid 2-14 Chiefs team (his WR's were rookie Dwayne Bowe, Mark Bradley and Devard Darling) and deduced that you were "never a big fan of his?" OK.

To be fair, he also had Tony Gonzalez, and both he and Bowe had over 1,000 yards. But the running game was good (4.8 YPC) but wasn't used enough (4th fewest rushing attempts), likely because the defense gave up 27.5 PPG.

To be fair, he also had Tony Gonzalez, and both he and Bowe had over 1,000 yards. But the running game was good (4.8 YPC) but wasn't used enough (4th fewest rushing attempts), likely because the defense gave up 27.5 PPG.

I'll give you that. Still better than any season a Bills QB has had since Bledsoe in '02.

Todd Collins may have been rushed into the starting role a year or two earlier than the Bills would have liked. He did well, as a "game manager" while backing up Jim Kelly in 1995 and 1996. His game was very limited. He wasn't particularly mobile, he had good, not great, arm strength...he had some tools to develop, but, I think the coaches, Marv included, concluded that he was not a starting caliber NFL QB. He had a pretty nice career as a backup, but the fact that he hung around for so long, without ever competing for another starting position, is telling. You have to trust that his coaches over the years were aware of his limitations. Not a knock on the guy...he just was not the kind of QB you could build a team around.

+1

I too believe we have one of, if not the worst QB situation in the NFL, but why would you add a 40 year old QB who was out of the league for a few years and got cut from the Raiders? I am not suggesting it, but if one wanted to add a veteran QB, there are many better options than Jeff Garcia. Didn't this same idea come up about a year ago with Garcia? At this point, and I would have love to have seen them upgrade at the position, it would be best to ride it out and see if Edwards can produce, if not, we will be a top 5 pick next year and we can take yet another shot at getting a franchise QB with a first round pick.

when i said i was never a big fan of tyler i ment never a big fan of him coming to buffalo when i heard that gailey was trying to bring him here. why did they give his job to cassell and trade him if he was such a solid qb

Do you really think our playoff hopes will last that long?

I would like to see the backup QB be someone with many years of exp who could tutor TE and Brohm. Fitz isn't that guy. You'd have the same probability of winning with Fitz or an exp backup but would have the years of exp that Fitz doesn't have.

and whoever gets the starting job needs to get pulled quickly if there cuttin up. not at midseason when our playoff hopes are already dead

Good point Albany.

Instead, the FO passes up a Tebow, Clausen, McCoy, and Campbell to name a few. Oh, I forgot, they picked Levi Brown. What a joke...

Another wait til next year situation for our QB situation. Who knows if they will even address this need next year?

I am not holding my breath and I am not lying to myself and thinking anyone on our roster is a quaility NFL starting QB.

How many times do you need it pointed out that the Bills (and a number of other teams as well) did not see Tebow, Clausen, or McCoy as top draft choices. The Bills were not alone in this evaluation of their talent.

Anyone one of these guys may prove the pundits wrong, but again the Bills were not alone in passing on these wonders of yours. I guess you just can't let it go that outside of Bradford, none of the others were seen as warranting a high draft pick.

You got me thinking about the "Todd Collins era" of Bills football. Here are hightlights from, possibly, one of the teams most exciting games with him as a starter...the "other comeback"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOSHeAOLEAA

One of my all-time favorite, most underrated Bills, Antowain Smith had a great game...

You got me thinking about the "Todd Collins era" of Bills football. Here are hightlights from, possibly, one of the teams most exciting games with him as a starter...the "other comeback"

One of my all-time favorite, most underrated Bills, Antowain Smith had a great game...

Antowain played OK, but did have the clincher at the end....

I have always loved Jeff Garcia.

With the sole exception of his 1 year in Cleveland, he has always been stellar.

I don't know why San Fran ever gave up on him. He throws bullet passes that are accurate, his feet and scrambling keep him alive and plays for a lot longer, he is smart, quick, decisive....clearly better than anything we currently have. While in Tampa it was the same deal. In Philly, the same. He is a proven leader. Again, with the exception of Cleveland he is tough and dependable.

I really believe that he has gotten a raw deal for most of his career considering his abilities.

In my mind, if the Bills traded for a starting LT and signed Garcia to either be #2 or lead the offense for 1-2 seasons, I would think them much improved.

Antowain played OK, but did have the clincher at the end....

He was the last Bills running back, that I can remember, that ever ripped off large chunks of yardage, pretty regularly. I remember the opening drive of the second half of the Titans "Music City Molestation" when he ripped off that huge touchdown run. I always thought he was the best RB on our roster, by a mile, but he got on Pendry's **** list somewhere along the way...so we were subjected, week after week, of 2 yards runs by guys like Shawn Bryson and Jonathan Linton. AS's talents, IMO, was wasted by Wade Phillips coaching staff.

Good point Albany.

Actually...I'm not so sure about Brown being a joke. Last yr - 23 TD's - 4254 Yds - QB rating: 146.97. Also, he seems to have a good head on his shoulders. To be honest, when Gailey said it was down to "three", I was a disappointed. I was hoping he would have a legitimate shot this yr.

No.

He was a career back-up in KC.

The only reason he got to play in Washington was because everybody else was so bad. He used his experience to his advantage. But he is not an answer.

No.

The only reason he got to play in Washington was because everybody else was so bad. He used his experience to his advantage. But he is not an answer.

Agreed - nice guy that had a nice career. Knows the game, knows the lay of the financial NFL land. I think his eyes would pop if some team offered him another gig...

Good point Albany.

ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ... ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

He was the last Bills running back, that I can remember, that ever ripped off large chunks of yardage, pretty regularly. I remember the opening drive of the second half of the Titans "Music City Molestation" when he ripped off that huge touchdown run. I always thought he was the best RB on our roster, by a mile, but he got on Pendry's **** list somewhere along the way...so we were subjected, week after week, of 2 yards runs by guys like Shawn Bryson and Jonathan Linton. AS's talents, IMO, was wasted by Wade Phillips coaching staff.

He was definitely underrated, probably due to the fact he was replacing Thurman Thomas. He wasn't the most exciting guy to watch but as you mention he did pull big chunks from time to time, and was a strong power runner who rarely fumbled. He seemed to me a lot like Eddie George without the pass catching ability.

No.

Not sure what I said to prompt that response...I never suggested anything else... and I don't think anyone here was suggesting that the Bills sign Todd Collins...

Actually...I'm not so sure about Brown being a joke. Last yr - 23 TD's - 4254 Yds - QB rating: 146.97. Also, he seems to have a good head on his shoulders. To be honest, when Gailey said it was down to "three", I was a disappointed. I was hoping he would have a legitimate shot this yr.

im not sure just askn not tryn to bash what u said here but does troy play in a week conference could that have a little to do with his high numbers or was there schedule somewhat difficult just wonderin get back let me no

Not sure what I said to prompt that response...I never suggested anything else... and I don't think anyone here was suggesting that the Bills sign Todd Collins...

definitely wasnt dont know what prompted that response just wonderin why he only lasted a yrr as starter thanks for the highlights

I don't think anyone here was suggesting that the Bills sign Todd Collins...

I suggested it several times in the spring. I still think it would be a good idea. Let's take the offensive talent we have, which aside from OL is pretty good. See what a real QB who can actually pass the ball and isn't afraid to go for the jugular when it's available. Maybe it's only for one year or two. But it could be fun. I suspect we'd be battling it out for playoffs.

No way--very inaccurate about your assessment of Collins. None of the quarterbacks we have had since they ran Collins out of town has been as good as he was, did what he would have done if given a reasonable opportunity.

I don't think the Bills should sign him now, though he could still play at a high level and does not have a lot of mileage on his arm and body. But getting rid of Todd Collins (giving up those picks for Rob Johnson and every bad quarterback move that followed) was the worst decision that this franchise has made since I became a fan in the late 70's.

And a better offensively coached team by Gailey. What have we have had...Guys who have never been an OC in the league before and a HC who just wouldn't give them the freedom to innovate.

He was definitely underrated, probably due to the fact he was replacing Thurman Thomas. He wasn't the most exciting guy to watch but as you mention he did pull big chunks from time to time, and was a strong power runner who rarely fumbled. He seemed to me a lot like Eddie George without the pass catching ability.

Travis Henry was able to pick up big chunks..