Why is Gailey so High on Bell

I still think this team is in big trouble because of the offensive line. How can Gailey think so highly of D. Bell if he hasn't been able to practice yet? Doesn't make any sense. This team has not upgraded its offensive line situation from last year. I don't see how they think this offensive line is going to improve the same hurt players they had last year outside of Green who is not really an upgrade.

All this optimism for a team that has not addressed its most glaring problem from last year. This offensive line will not suddenly become good just because we have a new coaching staff. This offensive line is still not talented enough to open holes and give the QB time to throw.

I still think this team is in big trouble because of the offensive line. How can Gailey think so highly of D. Bell if he hasn't been able to practice yet? Doesn't make any sense. This team has not upgraded its offensive line situation from last year. I don't see how they think this offensive line is going to improve the same hurt players they had last year outside of Green who is not really an upgrade.

All this optimism for a team that has not addressed its most glaring problem from last year. This offensive line will not suddenly become good just because we have a new coaching staff. This offensive line is still not talented enough to open holes and give the QB time to throw.

Watching tape

I can only surmise it's because he doesn't want Meredith to be complacent about being handed the LT job. I can't see any reason why Bell would be considered the "prospective starter at LT" given how he played last year, coupled with his ACL injury.

There's also this outlandish possibility that the Bills staff took a look at the film and thought that there was room for improvement from our young tackles. We are after all, talking about 1st and 2nd year players.

How can Gailey think so highly of D. Bell if he hasn't been able to practice yet?

cause it's all we got?

not trying to be facetious either. he cant come out and say in the media "I dont like any of our players at Tackle, theyre all bums, we're in trouble there". even if he does believe it. you cant throw guys under the bus.

also, as Doc mentioned, Chan has been keeping the competition open for every spot on the roster, and every starting spot. this keeps guys motivated.

Don't get me wrong. I think that Gailey can believe Bell still has potential. I just find the reports that he was the "prospective starter" to be silly. He was the most penalized lineman in the NFL before getting hurt, and the type of injury he suffered (ACL) takes at least a full year to recover from.

cause it's all we got?

not trying to be facetious either. he cant come out and say in the media "I dont like any of our players at Tackle, theyre all bums, we're in trouble there". even if he does believe it. you cant throw guys under the bus.

also, as Doc mentioned, Chan has been keeping the competition open for every spot on the roster, and every starting spot. this keeps guys motivated.

I really thought our O-line did a pretty good job the first couple of weeks last year when all were healthy and playing. Of course they were making some errors and some costly penalties also but all in all they were playing respectable. It takes time for an O-line to gel and work as one. It doesn't happen in preseason or just by hanging out it happens on the field in real time situations. Do you remember how pitiful the Colts line was when Manning started and they just started building there dynasty....they sucked. Just give them some time. All our guys are back from last years starting unit minus Butler so give them some time...

Timeline, competition, and reality.

My guess he and Ralph have a common understanding that he is on s timeline to compete immediately but they realistically do not expect the team to achieve credible results this year or likely not even next. Dumb luck and its the NFL does mean that there could conceivably be some actual achievement this year (an 8-8 record would be an achievement given the pathetic results last year) but they honestly understand they do not expect much this year in terms of results. In fact, even in the outside world of the media and fans if this team is generally perceived as trying hard and not being a doormat then the lack of real achievement might even be something they skate by this year with.

Competition is key though to both having dumb luck help the team achieve and also to generating the perception of tolerating losing. Setting an expectation of achievement beyond what a player can realistically be expected to achieve is key. There is certainly no reasonable way simply from film or even some of the coaches real eye view of Bell in practice or in brief game appearances that they can be counting on him to excel. The vagaries of injury recovery alone make this crazy. Yet, from what they see on film and measuring the athletic from the attitude he displays they can in fact present a reasomable expectation that he will compete without embarrassment.

Guest dog14787

Although In my opinion we had the worse offensive line in the NFL last season it was greatly to do with inexperience and bad Scheming/coaching/playcalling. Add injuries and a group of young, develpoing QB's and you have a recipe for disaster.

A good offensive philosophy and playcalling will help change the face of the Bills O-line.

I Billieve...

It is really simple. Even if Chan think he is a turd, he won't say so. His boss whomever that is, tells him Bell will be the LT. Chan probably wants job he could not have gotten anywhere else and shuts up. That simple.

During that the off season like every offseason, marketing is serving the fans lots of cool aid by telling us how great Bhrom looks in practice. But Edwards might still better. blah blah. And guess what it works. In January, everybody here was super negative. Now more than half are positive. And any somewhat negative comments gets a lot of hatred. The reality is that we have not filled or most glaring holes. I believe in Chan with all my heart until he proves otherwise. But let's be honest, who is out DC and where are the LT's we needed so desperately??

Maybe Chan knows more about evaluating football players than you do.

The old Falling back on the "they know more than you do" argument comes out. It must be that time of year when fans question the direction, only to be told they aren't in the NFL and know nothing.

Wonder if that sentiment will be echoed in November-December.

The old Falling back on the "they know more than you do" argument comes out.

The oldest and most tired line on the board.

Jauron and Levy knew more than us too and they destroyed the team the second they walked into town. This might also answer the original question. The last regime, football knowledge and all, was high on Langston Walker, at least for a while. Why not be high on Bell?

Another possible answer could be his salary.

i think fans are higher on bell than gailey is, Jamon Meredith is a stud, gailey knows it, Bell knows it. :beer:

why are they sooooo bad, because they opened up holes for a thousand yard rusher?

i would like you to tell eric w

ood and andy levitre that the line is not good enough to open holes, that would be a funny exchange

The old Falling back on the "they know more than you do" argument comes out. It must be that time of year when fans question the direction, only to be told they aren't in the NFL and know nothing.

Do you remember when Marv Levy was hired to rescue the organization and the gullible chorus gleefully shouted: In Marv We Trust? This very congenial man set back the franchise for years. Nix is presently undoing the damage done by this very nice man who was clueless.

Most sane fans acknowledge that it is going to take years to get back on the competitive path. It shouldn't be expected that all the positions needing upgrading would be done so in one offseason. This new coaching staff is gambling that Bell and/or Meredith can sufficiently handle the LT position. In my view, they are taking a major risk I am not comfortable with. Last year, Bell was thoroughly overmatched. Why they expect such a giant leap of performance from a developing player coming off of a major knee injury has me very puzzled? Maybe Kirk Chambers is their fallback position?

Because of his potential? Raw talent? Who knows. Maybe he doesn't like him and pumps him to send Meredith the message to not rest on his laurels.

I for one won't apply the boar MO to bash Bell furiously because he was not Walter Jones last year when he was thrown to the field as green as he was. I still like his potential to help this team aided by coaching and scheming.

Please get a clue of what coachspeak is all about. What is he supposed to say???

What do you think he said about our group of quarterbacks??

If asked about the D-Line, what kind of answer do you think he would give??

What do you think Lindy Ruff says about his team going into a season???

um, a, all I can say is WAKE UP???

;)

Is this your first offseason in the league??

i think fans are higher on bell than gailey is, Jamon Meredith is a stud, gailey knows it, Bell knows it. ;)

why are they sooooo bad, because they opened up holes for a thousand yard rusher?

i would like you to tell eric w

ood and andy levitre that the line is not good enough to open holes, that would be a funny exchange

if you divide 1000 by 16(games) you get 62.5 a game. Good but could be much better.

I think if Fred, Spiller and Beast Mode can get 1600 all together that 100 per gm. Which would have us fighting for a playoff spot.

Meredith has to be a good pass protector and a great run blocker , I think he starts the season anyway because will have got to most reps, OTA and Training camp

There is a strong possibility that Gailey knows just a little bit more about professional football than you do ... I know it is hard to believe that all the experts of the board who keep ripping our LT situation just might be wrong. Bell has the size and foot movement so maybe he has the potential like all of us to improve over time ... Just maybe now

Two different groups of coaches both have expressed confidence in Bell so that says something about the kid. With Meredith and Wang as back-ups we should be at least better than last year, which points us towards a winning season.

Think back to Game One last year ... The line did a good job before inuries started to wear it down.

I think when Bell came out he was one of those guys who was said to have terrific potential, but who was very raw - which is why he garnered so little attention. Project type players take, what, two, three years to develop? You hear the "such and such player has all the physical tools to be dominant" often about certain players, and some of them turn out, some don't.

I'd wager the staff approached this year thinking - we know we need to fix this, this, and that - and we have these guys who might be o.k., might not be, but we won't know until they play, so, we'll audition those guys this year, and whoever doesn't perform will be replaced. I'm thinking QB, LT, WR, C, DE, and OLB are the biggest question marks, and probably in that order. They could've picked Clausen instead of Troupe, but they knew Kyle Williams wouldn't be able to hold up full time at NT, and probably wouldn't hold up against the run, but they probably equally confident that Trent Edwards doesn't have it, or Brohm, or Bell, for that matter.

Anyway, if Bell was a developmental player, then he should be right on schedule if he starts this year and performs even in the middle of the league, statistically speaking. Really, the way he's been written off, he could be the 25th ranked LT in the NFL and be overperforming.

My guess is that our O-line this year, until they get the pieces they want in place and have time to gel, will be more of a unit performance, rather than single guys standing out. I can see Gailey putting them, as a unit, in situations - calling plays - that will mask their deficiencies.

Jauron and Levy knew more than us too and they destroyed the team the second they walked into town. This might also answer the original question. The last regime, football knowledge and all, was high on Langston Walker, at least for a while. Why not be high on Bell?

You mean drafting Whitner, McCargo, Youboty, and Simpson in 2006 wasn't good enough for you Bill? ;)

Ralph put Marv into a bad spot, but the marvelous one exacerbated the situation by hiring DJ. What a comedy of errors.

It's reserved for the mentally weak. Whoever uses it ought to be ashamed and embarrassed.

There is a strong possibility that Gailey knows just a little bit more about professional football than you do ... I know it is hard to believe that all the experts of the board who keep ripping our LT situation just might be wrong. Bell has the size and foot movement so maybe he has the potential like all of us to improve over time ... Just maybe now

Two different groups of coaches both have expressed confidence in Bell so that says something about the kid. With Meredith and Wang as back-ups we should be at least better than last year, which points us towards a winning season.

Think back to Game One last year ... The line did a good job before inuries started to wear it down.

That's not the way I remember it. In the game I saw, the Pats* went in without any game film on us and we played pretty well. Then, when they had seen what we could do and they needed a stop late, they had two sacks in five plays on that last drive. Both of them over Demetrius Bell, I believe.

Check this week-by-week chart of Bell's season. Does week one look like a big success to you? How about the rest of the season before his injury?

http://profootballfocus.com/by_player.php?...p;playerid=4533

Yeah. And guess who supported Levy? Everybody.

I think when Bell came out he was one of those guys who was said to have terrific potential, but who was very raw - which is why he garnered so little attention. Project type players take, what, two, three years to develop? You hear the "such and such player has all the physical tools to be dominant" often about certain players, and some of them turn out, some don't.

I'd wager the staff approached this year thinking - we know we need to fix this, this, and that - and we have these guys who might be o.k., might not be, but we won't know until they play, so, we'll audition those guys this year, and whoever doesn't perform will be replaced. I'm thinking QB, LT, WR, C, DE, and OLB are the biggest question marks, and probably in that order. They could've picked Clausen instead of Troupe, but they knew Kyle Williams wouldn't be able to hold up full time at NT, and probably wouldn't hold up against the run, but they probably equally confident that Trent Edwards doesn't have it, or Brohm, or Bell, for that matter.

Anyway, if Bell was a developmental player, then he should be right on schedule if he starts this year and performs even in the middle of the league, statistically speaking. Really, the way he's been written off, he could be the 25th ranked LT in the NFL and be overperforming.

My guess is that our O-line this year, until they get the pieces they want in place and have time to gel, will be more of a unit performance, rather than single guys standing out. I can see Gailey putting them, as a unit, in situations - calling plays - that will mask their deficiencies.

+1

;)

The same HURT Players... You just answered your own question. Players who are hurt can't play or don't always play as well when they do play depending on the injury. Levitre, Bell, Wood needed to get stronger, learn the pro game. It's very reasonable to believe they will be better this season. Again, the coaches are around these players all day long. They watch film of games. They watch films of practice. They did not get this far in their profession by being dumb. They obviously see more in their players than others do for specific reasons. If they don't look good in camp they can always go after other players.

There's also this outlandish possibility that the Bills staff took a look at the film and thought that there was room for improvement from our young tackles. We are after all, talking about 1st and 2nd year players.

Please don't talk common sense. You might confuse some of the folks on here. I'm telling you this immediate gratification society the world has turned into has infected sports now. I recall the days when most first round rookie QB's wouldn't touch the field for three years. Imagine that. He'd be considered a bust now days. LoL

They could've picked Clausen instead of Troupe, but they knew Kyle Williams wouldn't be able to hold up full time at NT, and probably wouldn't hold up against the run, but they probably equally confident that Trent Edwards doesn't have it, or Brohm, or Bell, for that matter.

1. Who said Clausen is going to be any good?

1A. Nonsense. If they didn't believe they had a QB on the roster who could do the job they would have went out and gotten another one. Same with LT. They feel they have players there who can play with the right coaching. I contend they are confident they have players who can play. What they probably don't have confidence in is the previous coaching staff's performance with these players.

2. Every O-line is a "unit" performance. EVERY O-Line. That's why it's hard when one or two get hurt or several are hurt at one time. One standout player still needs four other linemen to be on the same page or there will be breakdowns. And every coach will try to play to the strength of his personnel.

Please don't talk common sense. You might confuse some of the folks on here. I'm telling you this immediate gratification society the world has turned into has infected sports now. I recall the days when most first round rookie QB's wouldn't touch the field for three years. Imagine that. He'd be considered a bust now days. LoL

Dead on. We've even got a thread declaring Maybin a bust. A 22 year old who barely played in one season is a bust because some other guy won the DROY and a different had more sacks. Along with the instant gratification, too many posters wish to make everything black or white. If a guy wasn't an all-pro, he sucks and needs to be cut immediately.

Most posters cannot comprehend that Bell was in over his head last season, but that with some development, he might be a decent tackle. We all knew he was raw, and he was tossed in the fire too soon. But just because he wasn't ready to go last season doesn't mean he won't ever be ready to go. Relying on him to man the LT position for 16 games at a high level would be a mistake. But, relying on him to contribute this season is perfectly within reason.

It's blatantly obvious that dick jauron was and still is completely incapable of developing young talent. Perhaps this coaching staff will actually work with the young guys instead of benching them for washed up veterans.

Dead on. We've even got a thread declaring Maybin a bust. A 22 year old who barely played in one season is a bust because some other guy won the DROY and a different had more sacks. Along with the instant gratification, too many posters wish to make everything black or white. If a guy wasn't an all-pro, he sucks and needs to be cut immediately.

Most posters cannot comprehend that Bell was in over his head last season, but that with some development, he might be a decent tackle. We all knew he was raw, and he was tossed in the fire too soon. But just because he wasn't ready to go last season doesn't mean he won't ever be ready to go. Relying on him to man the LT position for 16 games at a high level would be a mistake. But, relying on him to contribute this season is perfectly within reason.

It's blatantly obvious that dick jauron was and still is completely incapable of developing young talent. Perhaps this coaching staff will actually work with the young guys instead of benching them for washed up veterans.

So who is this brilliant coach who is going to properly develop the O line players, set up line protections and teach these young players everything they will need to learn to become top players...oh right, the assistant line coach from KC who is now the Bills line coach.

Yea well, I'm not convinced this years O line will be any better then last years, but that's me.

Well he did say how athletic he was but Gailey didn't come out and say he's the projected starter. This whole "high on bell" thing is coming just from the fans.

That's a really good point.

The main indication we have that he likes Bell is that he didn't draft a possible replacement till the fifth round. And there could be many reasons for that. He might believe that in Wang we'll have a good LT in three years, and that is when we'll need him, when the team starts to get good. Or he could simply not have liked the value on any of the LTs available when we drafted.

Bell is a third-year player, actually.

So who is this brilliant coach who is going to properly develop the O line players, set up line protections and teach these young players everything they will need to learn to become top players...oh right, the assistant line coach from KC who is now the Bills line coach.

Yea well, I'm not convinced this years O line will be any better then last years, but that's me.

Dead on. It's the same crew every year, preaching patience and the coaches know more than us. How's that worked out the last 10 years? And Maybin's already been demoted during OTA's ;) We won't hear from the patience is a virtue crowd in a few years once he's out of the league. They'll have moved on to their new pet.