Earthquake in WNY???

linksfiend

From the D&C

People from Michigan eastward reported feeling the earth move shortly before 2 p.m. today.

The U.S. Geological Service said it was centered in the Lake Champlain area.

" We were rocking pretty good up here," said John Castor of North Rose in Wayne County. He said he was on the phone at the time and felt a circular motion and then some aftershocks.

I felt it in Greece on the West side of Rochester. It was a moderate side-to-side motion for maybe 5 seconds. I was on the third floor of our manufacturing plant and I thought the building or some of the large machinery in the building had shifted. It was an interesting feeling.

I know everyone was worried about me (I mean you instantly think 'Heels' when you think 'Ottawa' right? Well, I'm fine. A little shook-up and some busted plates at home but all is well.

Thank you for all your warm wishes...

...wait...not even a PM from any of you!?! I thought we were friends!?!?!

I know everyone was worried about me (I mean you instantly think 'Heels' when you think 'Ottawa' right? Well, I'm fine. A little shook-up and some busted plates at home but all is well.

Thank you for all your warm wishes...

...wait...not even a PM from any of you!?! I thought we were friends!?!?!

Glad you are ok. Better?

Seriously though how long did it last?

Around 11:00 a.m. I felt a short, dense rumble here in the 'Nooga, the likes of which I'd never encountered. I asked the only 2 co-workers in the area if that was an earthquake. They said they didn't feel anything.

Coincidence? :censored:

Glad you are ok. Better?

Seriously though how long did it last?

It lasted about a minute here. Started out with a rumble and then starting shaking like crazy. I was eying up the nearest door frame when it stopped. Then we had to start evacuating people out of the building.

It lasted about a minute here. Started out with a rumble and then starting shaking like crazy. I was eying up the nearest door frame when it stopped. Then we had to start evacuating people out of the building.

The geology of the area matters a lot. Out here in the SF bay area, it has to be >3.0 to be felt. We had a 2.0 about a half mile from me and I didn't even feel it. The biggest since the 89 quake was a 5.3 about 30 miles south. Shook here for 10-15 seconds. Happened in the hills The only damage was jars falling off the upper shelves at supermarkets about 5 miles away from the quake. Although, the day after the space shuttle crashed we had two 4.2s about 2 hours apart about a mile or so away. The floor felt like it moved about 10 feet. Watched the patio window vibrate.

What? No derision from the Californians?

People are becoming to lax around here.

Sorry I was in a meeting. Ok here goes.

A 5.5? Pffffffff, I get one of those every time my branch admin walks by my office. :censored:

Oh and BTW we know to post a link from the USGS right away which shows it as a 5.0. I've got that site bookmarked.

I felt it slightly here north of Pittsburgh. I'm on the top (fourth) floor of the building and it was just a little side to side motion for a few seconds. A lot of people in the building didn't feel anything. So I thought at first I may have done some drugs, but then found enough other people to conclude we all couldn't have been high.

Wow TRIPLE PLAY!!!! The first triple play of the season!!! Right before the All-Star break too! Way to go Bawl!