Great opportunity for a trade with San Diego

We happen to have quite a few safeties. One in particular might be valuable to the Chargers. Donte Whitner is that player. I have no problem at all going into this season with Byrd, Scott, Wilson, and Harris as our safeties. We're overloaded at the position to tell the truth, and if Nix can't recognize the value there he is sleeping at the wheel.

Marcus McNeil is valuable to the Chargers as well. But, if we sent them Whitner, Bell/Meredith, and a draft pick we can get the deal done. They also recently signed Tra Thomas, so they have insurance at the position. As long as we can sign McNiel to a long term deal, we can get this done.

We happen to have quite a few safeties. One in particular might be valuable to the Chargers. Donte Whitner is that player. I have no problem at all going into this season with Byrd, Scott, Wilson, and Harris as our safeties. We're overloaded at the position to tell the truth, and if Nix can't recognize the value there he is sleeping at the wheel.

Marcus McNeil is valuable to the Chargers as well. But, if we sent them Whitner, Bell/Meredith, and a draft pick we can get the deal done. They also recently signed Tra Thomas, so they have insurance at the position. As long as we can sign McNiel to a long term deal, we can get this done.

that sounds too easy and makes too much sense!, just once would i like to see a deal like that get done. the skins just gave up mid level picks for brown. get that left tackle, the season could be interesting.

2 Questions:

1) Who would take a 3rd for Whitner?

2) Could we get a 3rd for Whitner.

I wouldn't trade for McNeil. He's got spinal stenosis. Way too much of a liability to sign to a long-term deal, which would be a condition of any trade, I'm sure.

I'm sure he'd jump at the chance to come to Buffalo and leave San Diego too. Probably never complain about his contract again...

Why don't we throw in a few more players and draft picks ... McNeil is not 100% healthy and I am not sure how MADDEN rates him ...

Frankly, I am liking everything that the Buddy front office has done so far ... and I am pretty sure they aren't about to trade multiple players and a draft pick for one guy.

The Chargers also released Ian Scott...the Bills would be wise to pick him up for depth purposes. He's more of a traditional NT than Kyle Williams is and could at least give us much needed flexibility at NT with Kyle and Troup. Started a bunch of games for San Diego when Williams went down with various injuries.

Why do you think anyone wants Whitner? He sure talks the talk but hasnt walked the walk yet to warrant anything significant in a trade. For now his best value is with the Bills.

Why do you think anyone wants Whitner? He sure talks the talk but hasnt walked the walk yet to warrant anything significant in a trade. For now his best value is with the Bills.

1. They have NO talent at SS.

2. He is part of a package that would make the trade more attractive. I didn't say it was a straight up trade for Whitner.

Right now, his best value is in a trade. Why? Because Scott, Wilson, and Harris don't have value in a trade, but have significant value as safeties on this team.

I wouldn't trade for McNeil. He's got spinal stenosis. Way too much of a liability to sign to a long-term deal, which would be a condition of any trade, I'm sure.

Spinal Stenosis is as serious as a heart attack. It is the narrowing of the channel the spinal cord travels inside the back bone - either by some impingement or degeneration of the spinal vertebrae, which crushes in on the cord, causing numbness and loss of feeling in the limbs. In the extreme, it can cause paralysis. Treatment for mild stenosis is usually physical therapy, in more difficult cases, fusing vertebrae, metal bracing, disc replacement. In any case, getting walloped by a 300 pound lineman 40 times a game is not recommended. I’d proceed with caution before sinking mega bucks into a LT with any stenosis.

The Chargers also released Ian Scott...the Bills would be wise to pick him up for depth purposes. He's more of a traditional NT than Kyle Williams is and could at least give us much needed flexibility at NT with Kyle and Troup. Started a bunch of games for San Diego when Williams went down with various injuries.

That's right ... let's pick up every single veteran player that hits the pre-pre-season waiver wires because they have to be better than every single player on a team that played almost .500 football under a coach who didn't try to win. :thumbsup:

One third of the NFL was worse than the Buffalo Bills last year ... so we must have at least one or maybe two players who can compete ... but then again those waived guys might rank high on the MADDEN SCALE ... :unsure::D:wallbash:

you are out of your mind if you think SD is trading Mc Neil and definatly crazy to think they would trade him for whitner.

first of all they will never trade the guy but for sh-ts and giggles lets say they do it would take something like whitner our first amd third to pry him from the chargers.

but its all moot because they are never going to trade the guy!

you are out of your mind if you think SD is trading Mc Neil and definatly crazy to think they would trade him for whitner.

first of all they will never trade the guy but for sh-ts and giggles lets say they do it would take something like whitner our first amd third to pry him from the chargers.

but its all moot because they are never going to trade the guy!

Hey BGIOP, I'm calling you out for hi-jacking this thread with logic. :thumbsup:

Can't speak to why SD dumped him, but it's a long season and any injury @ this position will significantly alter our new approach -especially early! Bring him in for a look-see.

1. They have NO talent at SS.

2. He is part of a package that would make the trade more attractive. I didn't say it was a straight up trade for Whitner.

Right now, his best value is in a trade. Why? Because Scott, Wilson, and Harris don't have value in a trade, but have significant value as safeties on this team.

I think possibly in a package deal that may be feesible, however I disagree that scott or wilson dont have more value. They both have outplayed whitner. I guess time will tell what will happen. But I see whitner still a Bill this year.

I think I missed the gap where McNeill went from a top young LT to just another guy - was it injuries? Flash in the pan?

Check the all-star rosters for the time he's been in the league. All-star for the first two years. After that ... not.

Pretty clear. He's still miles better than Bell or Meredith, which is why San Diego wouldn't make this trade.

Spinal Stenosis is as serious as a heart attack. It is the narrowing of the channel the spinal cord travels inside the back bone - either by some impingement or degeneration of the spinal vertebrae, which crushes in on the cord, causing numbness and loss of feeling in the limbs. In the extreme, it can cause paralysis. Treatment for mild stenosis is usually physical therapy, in more difficult cases, fusing vertebrae, metal bracing, disc replacement. In any case, getting walloped by a 300 pound lineman 40 times a game is not recommended. I’d proceed with caution before sinking mega bucks into a LT with any stenosis.

Excellent point.

Buyer beware...

Can someone explain to me this, the Chargers end up cutting a SS, even though they (according to the original poster) have a serious need for one, that they are going to trade for 2 guys (Whitner and Bell/Meredith) that (according to the fans here) have absolutly no value for a guy that has a spinal condition that could seriously affect his career as a player?

And these same people have the balls to call this front office dumb or not doing their job because they haven't tried making this deal? Please, let the FO stick to making the decisions on players and trades, they obviously see something in these guys that lead them to believe they are worth playing or they would be actively looking for a replacement if its as vital as everyone here thinks.

Yeah I have to say that if we can package Whitner and a 4th/3rd for McNeil I would be more then happy to fork over a pick plus Whitner to get a good 27 year old LT. San Diego fills a need and gets future assets in picks they also get rid of a contract head ache (Which with CBA rules is a very valuable thing).

Can someone explain to me this, the Chargers end up cutting a SS, even though they (according to the original poster) have a serious need for one, that they are going to trade for 2 guys (Whitner and Bell/Meredith) that (according to the fans here) have absolutly no value for a guy that has a spinal condition that could seriously affect his career as a player?

And these same people have the balls to call this front office dumb or not doing their job because they haven't tried making this deal? Please, let the FO stick to making the decisions on players and trades, they obviously see something in these guys that lead them to believe they are worth playing or they would be actively looking for a replacement if its as vital as everyone here thinks.

I agree that some of these opinions are all over the map. My issue (and I am the original poster here) is this front office's continued lack of action in each offseason. They have sent the message that standing pat is OK. We're building through the draft, and a select few free agents.

By comparison, the Lions who have a history of terrible management and are known for a losing culture finally said ENOUGH. They hired themselves a highly sought after head coach, they cut guys who weren't performing on the field, and they made some aggressive trades. Now all of a sudden these guys are on the map. They have convinced their fans and the media that they're in it to win it, and they actually have a pretty good shot at the playoffs this year.

I would LOVE to see that kind of mentality in our front office. But we don't see that yet. We've got some guys on this roster who have continued to stink it up on the field (McCargo, Kelsay, Whitner, etc) and they have gotten second, third, and fourth chances on this team. Send a message, ship these guys out of town. Prove to the fans that you're capable of putting together a winning team.

I agree that some of these opinions are all over the map. My issue (and I am the original poster here) is this front office's continued lack of action in each offseason. They have sent the message that standing pat is OK. We're building through the draft, and a select few free agents.

By comparison, the Lions who have a history of terrible management and are known for a losing culture finally said ENOUGH. They hired themselves a highly sought after head coach, they cut guys who weren't performing on the field, and they made some aggressive trades. Now all of a sudden these guys are on the map. They have convinced their fans and the media that they're in it to win it, and they actually have a pretty good shot at the playoffs this year.

I would LOVE to see that kind of mentality in our front office. But we don't see that yet. We've got some guys on this roster who have continued to stink it up on the field (McCargo, Kelsay, Whitner, etc) and they have gotten second, third, and fourth chances on this team. Send a message, ship these guys out of town. Prove to the fans that you're capable of putting together a winning team.

The only one of those 3 that you can actually say (if you view things from a non Bills view) stunk things up on the field is maybe McCargo who hasn't really done anything in his career, although thats debatable seeing as how the great and almighty Bill Polian tried to acquire him from the Bills but the deal fell through when he failed his physical.

Whitner and even Kelsay have been viewed as good to decent players at their positions. They aren't Pro Bowlers, but they aren't horrible players. Whitner is only looked down on in Buffalo cause of where he was drafted, and people think Kelsay sucks cause they expect more out of a guy making as much as he does.

The other things fans have to realise is that this team isn't as bad as they view it. Detroit has a winless season, and many 1-3 win seasons over the last decade. They have been god awful and a complete overhaul was required. When you are that bad theres alot of guys going to be cut/moved. Over the last decade, the Bills have been average to slightly below average finishing around 7-9 almost every year. Thats mediocre, not bad. The problem is that with a completly new coaching staff putting in a completly new offence and defence in place, they don't know what they have in players and are using this offseason and season to review the guys they have and see if they can use them in different areas. The team is very young at alot of positions, and if the coaching staff was as bad as we all felt, some of these guys may just need some new coaching.

They aren't trying to turn this team around in one year just to appease the fans. They are trying to build this team for the longhaul so they aren't a "one-and-done" flash in the pan team. They want a team that has a solid foundation that can be built off of.

I believe that it is actually easier to turn around a losing team like the Lions in a shorter period because your already at the bottom, theres only one way to go, up.

As trade fantasies go, this one has a bit of merit. The question is would the Bills be willing to break up a top notch secondary in a passing league for the chance at filling a hole at LT. I would fear AJ Smith may know a bit more about McNeil's injury status than the Bills do. That being said the Chargers are likely facing some cap issues with Merriman and Rivers needing deals. Maybe they move McNeil but I doubt it unless he is injured or has crazy contract demands. Neither of which is a good thing fot the Bills.

In the end I say don't mess with either backfield. Leave the best young secondary(also one of the least expensive) in the NFL together as well as a pretty decent RB combination. Let's see what Bell can do and what Trent can do with Gailey calling the plays. Even if all goes well this year the Bills are still likely looking at a top ten pick in a deep QB class. There will be a QB next year if Trent fails and if many QB's go early then some quality tackles will fall in the draft.

"Does anyone believe that the Chargers will head into the season without LT Marcus McNeill and WR Vincent Jackson? I understand the hard stance given by GM A.J. Smith — even talking about the players in the past tense — but that offense under Norv Turner would take a massive hit without these two in the lineup. We can call this the beginning of the negotiation process for these two players, but losing them would be a shock. I can’t see it happening."

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-ne...tml&team=87

Matt Bowen, National Football Post

Yet another person simply seeing the obvious here.

yeah great idea guys. lets get rid of whitner that knows the secondary better than anybody on the team. :thumbsup:

How is that possible? Its a whole new defense. But I think whitner should stay, not as a number 1, but hes a good backup. But then again, maybe he flourishes as a number 1 in the new 3-4.

As trade fantasies go, this one has a bit of merit. The question is would the Bills be willing to break up a top notch secondary in a passing league for the chance at filling a hole at LT. I would fear AJ Smith may know a bit more about McNeil's injury status than the Bills do. That being said the Chargers are likely facing some cap issues with Merriman and Rivers needing deals. Maybe they move McNeil but I doubt it unless he is injured or has crazy contract demands. Neither of which is a good thing fot the Bills.

In the end I say don't mess with either backfield. Leave the best young secondary(also one of the least expensive) in the NFL together as well as a pretty decent RB combination. Let's see what Bell can do and what Trent can do with Gailey calling the plays. Even if all goes well this year the Bills are still likely looking at a top ten pick in a deep QB class. There will be a QB next year if Trent fails and if many QB's go early then some quality tackles will fall in the draft.

No they aren't, THERE IS NO CAP THIS COMING SEASON