Stroud is 10 lbs lighter than last season

Good to see that Stroud is taking the transition to the 3-4 very seriously. He needs to be quicker in order to generate a pass rush and push the gap at DE. Its good to see that we have a bunch of hard workers on the roster and that we drafted a bunch more to join them.

Maybe the less weight will help him transition better to a DE.

This thread made me look at the front three in light of reading all the pre-season fizz.

So much has been written about putting Williams at NT. Unless he completely washes out in camp, however, Troup is going to be starting at NT on opening day. The wild card that now has me scratching my head is that guy Harvey (and forgive me, I should have done my research first). He's the kid from Morgan State who checks in at about 330-340. I'm not expecting Canton out of the kid, but IF he blossoms, and IF he makes the roster, the Bills would have two legitimate NTs on the roster. NT is certainly a position that will require rotation, so both Troup and Harvey would get plenty of playing time.

Let me get back to the point - and that's about Williams. I just don't see Kyle Williams as a classic NT. Great guy, gives his all, blah blah blah, but he's a square peg in a round hole. If, however, Harvey shows that he has what it takes, what do you think about Williams at DE? I personally think it plays much more to his strength, which is getting after the passer (as opposed to being a woolly mammoth plugging up the middle). If THIS were to transpire, I'd be relatively happy with a slimmed down Stroud at DE.

Stroud

Troup/Harvey

Williams

Thoughts?

This thread made me look at the front three in light of reading all the pre-season fizz.

So much has been written about putting Williams at NT. Unless he completely washes out in camp, however, Troup is going to be starting at NT on opening day. The wild card that now has me scratching my head is that guy Harvey (and forgive me, I should have done my research first). He's the kid from Morgan State who checks in at about 330-340. I'm not expecting Canton out of the kid, but IF he blossoms, and IF he makes the roster, the Bills would have two legitimate NTs on the roster. NT is certainly a position that will require rotation, so both Troup and Harvey would get plenty of playing time.

Let me get back to the point - and that's about Williams. I just don't see Kyle Williams as a classic NT. Great guy, gives his all, blah blah blah, but he's a square peg in a round hole. If, however, Harvey shows that he has what it takes, what do you think about Williams at DE? I personally think it plays much more to his strength, which is getting after the passer (as opposed to being a woolly mammoth plugging up the middle). If THIS were to transpire, I'd be relatively happy with a slimmed down Stroud at DE.

Stroud

Troup/Harvey

Williams

Thoughts?

The Bills drafted Troupe because they know Williams can not be a full time NT -- he just wouldn't hold up. I expect if Troupe does well during camp, he will start the season as the "obvious running down" NT and Williams will be the "obvious passing down" NT. This keeps both fresh, and utilizes each player's strengths.

This is not his natural position. I doubt he will be a force.

His primary responsibility will be stopping the run. At which he'll be a force. Pass rush probably not so much. But great to hear he's taking the position switch seriously and losing weight, which will only help him.

My thoughts are that we didn't sign a starting DE - Dwan Edwards - off the Ravens' roster so he could sit behind two guys - Williams and Stroud - who haven't played the position.

Yep, Edwards and Stroud will be the starters at DE. Johnson will rotate in with them.

The Bills drafted Troupe because they know Williams can not be a full time NT -- he just wouldn't hold up. I expect if Troupe does well during camp, he will start the season as the "obvious running down" NT and Williams will be the "obvious passing down" NT. This keeps both fresh, and utilizes each player's strengths.

The Bills won't be playing the traditional 2-gap 3-4, at least not initially. If Troup shows he's ready for primetime sooner rather than later, they may.

Stroud did what professionals do and put himself into the best possible condition to compete and make a difference for his team. He has always been a dedicated team-oriented player and he knows the years are taking their toll too. It is great to see him set a higher standard and to lead by example. I hope he has a great season for us. Go Bills...

Stroud did what professionals do and put himself into the best possible condition to compete and make a difference for his team. He has always been a dedicated team-oriented player and he knows the years are taking their toll too. It is great to see him set a higher standard and to lead by example. I hope he has a great season for us. Go Bills...

And Hopefully he gave those 10 pounds to Maybi

His primary responsibility will be stopping the run. At which he'll be a force. Pass rush probably not so much. But great to hear he's taking the position switch seriously and losing weight, which will only help him.

Yep, Edwards and Stroud will be the starters at DE. Johnson will rotate in with them.

The Bills won't be playing the traditional 2-gap 3-4, at least not initially. If Troup shows he's ready for primetime sooner rather than later, they may.

Excellent.

I think in their initial transition they will platoon DE, NT and DE as much as they can and rely on the linebackers to generate a pass rush.