Kyle Orton on The Trade Block?

Rotoworld is reporting what several media outlets in Denver are suggesting: That Kyle Orton is on the trading block. This due to McDaniels man love for Tebow and Brady Quinn has looked very sharp, and reportedly is pushing for the starting job. Also, the Broncos are high on last year's draft pick Tom Brandstater. They have four QBs on their roster now, and clearly will carry only three.

I'd be mildly interested in seeing what the price tag is for Orton. A 5th or lower next year, and that might make sense for us. Also, if Brandstater is released in the preseason, he is seemingly worth a long look, from the little that I know about him.

Honestly, I think the way Kyle Orton plays now is probably what Trent Edwards looks like when he is not playing off his back. Essentially, put Edwards in Denver last season and he puts up identical numbers. They're the same QB except Orton seems a lot more durable than Trent does.

Love Orton. Consumate pro. Great attitude. Lots of intangibles.

But IMO he isn't what this team needs.

To me, the Bills either need a proven franchise quarterback or a prospective franchise quarterback.

Adding Orton to the mix only muddles the stew.

As the others have said, although he's more proven than the guys we have, it's only by minute degrees. The addition of Orton would only confuse the issue. He's not appreciably better than what we already have and his presence would only further dilute the snaps needed to evaluate and develop the QBs that we already have.

If we had a Brandon Marshall to catch his 5-10 yard passes for over 100 receptions 5.2 yac and 10 tds, than sure. With The Bills Orton is more likely to throw 10-12 tds rather than 21. Have around a 70 qb rating 53-55% completion pct rather than the 62% he completed in Den. Essentialy Orton is Trent Edwards

Man I'd love to have Kyle. Last year he threw 21 TDs vs 12 picks with 62.1 completion percentage. What do you want? That's no chopped liver. He's a winner and a darn good QB. I don't get why everyone dogs the guy and relegates him to lame status. Get on the horn, find out what they want and do it. We could start him and have Fitz as #2 and Brown at 3. Our QB position would then be fixed for the foreseeable future.

I say do it.

To me, the Bills either need a proven franchise quarterback or a prospective franchise quarterback.

As the others have said, although he's more proven than the guys we have, it's only by minute degrees. The addition of Orton would only confuse the issue. He's not appreciably better than what we already have and his presence would only further dilute the snaps needed to evaluate and develop the QBs that we already have.

Thank you for posting a real, well thought out response.

+1

Glad to join the forum. This is my first response. I am a long time Bills fan living in San Diego. I have to agree Orton would be an upgrade to our pathetic QB roster. It could give us a win or two more this year... That is just not enough for me to want him. We still wouldn't make the playoffs and we still would need a franchise QB. Just my two sense...

How many QBs can the Bills carry into the regular season? Since two or three will probably suffer blindside concussions (à la Trent Edwards) from the LT position, the Bills might actually need Orton plus one more to finish the season? Can George Wilson play QB? :bag:

Well, he wasn't on our roster last year and we have heard of him before, so he MUST be an upgrade. If nothing else, I can't wait till they draft a QB with a #1 pick so we can stop having these Russell-Orton-Moore-Quinn discussions. With rare exceptions, great QBs do not change teams until they're not great any more. I'm willing to wait for great.

Man I'd love to have Kyle. Last year he threw 21 TDs vs 12 picks with 62.1 completion percentage. What do you want? That's no chopped liver. He's a winner and a darn good QB. I don't get why everyone dogs the guy and relegates him to lame status. Get on the horn, find out what they want and do it. We could start him and have Fitz as #2 and Brown at 3. Our QB position would then be fixed for the foreseeable future.

I say do it.

+1

Better than anyone that we currently have.

Glad to join the forum. This is my first response. I am a long time Bills fan living in San Diego. I have to agree Orton would be an upgrade to our pathetic QB roster. It could give us a win or two more this year... That is just not enough for me to want him. We still wouldn't make the playoffs and we still would need a franchise QB. Just my two sense...

Welcome to the Jungle!

+1

Rotoworld is reporting what several media outlets in Denver are suggesting: That Kyle Orton is on the trading block. This due to McDaniels man love for Tebow and Brady Quinn has looked very sharp, and reportedly is pushing for the starting job. Also, the Broncos are high on last year's draft pick Tom Brandstater. They have four QBs on their roster now, and clearly will carry only three.

I'd be mildly interested in seeing what the price tag is for Orton. A 5th or lower next year, and that might make sense for us. Also, if Brandstater is released in the preseason, he is seemingly worth a long look, from the little that I know about him.

Kyle Orton blows...I would even take Tyler Thigpen over this guy!

All of our QB's are better than Orton...I rather us pick up Mike Vick...

...or even Greg Inglis from Rugby and play him at QB!

Honestly, I think the way Kyle Orton plays now is probably what Trent Edwards looks like when he is not playing off his back. Essentially, put Edwards in Denver last season and he puts up identical numbers. They're the same QB except Orton seems a lot more durable than Trent does.

Bullseye- they are very much alike other than Orton is much more durable and much more of a leader.

Off the board - Edwards would not put up identical numbers to Orton part of playing QB is being there every week

Bullseye- they are very much alike other than Orton is much more durable and much more of a leader.

Off the board - Edwards would not put up identical numbers to Orton part of playing QB is being there every week

I think some of you need to pay attention to the facts before you claim that Orton is no better than the current crop of QBs on the roster.

- The guy threw for 3,800 yards, 21 TDs, and 12 INTs in 2009.

- He also had a YPA of 7.0, better than that of guys like Jay Cutler, Carson Palmer, Matt Ryan, and Matt Hasselbeck.

- His completion percentage was 62.7, better than that of Donovan McNabb and Matt Ryan.

- He ranked 14th in the NFL in QB rating.

- He ranked 13th in the NFL in passes completed for 1st downs (want the list of guys that ranked ahead of him? P. Manning, Schaub, Brady, Favre, Brees, Rivers, Romo, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Warner, Campbell, Flacco)

And he accomplished all of it while benefitting from a running game that was only slightly worse than Buffalo's:

Buffalo: 424 car, 1,867 yds, 4.4 ypc, 116.7 ypg, 6 TDs

Denver: 440 car, 1,836 yds, 4.2 ypc, 114.8 ypg, 9 TDs

Refresh my memory as to why this guy "sucks" again?

I think some of you need to pay attention to the facts before you claim that Orton is no better than the current crop of QBs on the roster.

- He also had a YPA of 7.0, better than that of guys like Jay Cutler, Carson Palmer, Matt Ryan, and Matt Hasselbeck.

- His completion percentage was 62.7, better than that of Donovan McNabb and Matt Ryan.

- He ranked 13th in the NFL in passes completed for 1st downs (want the list of guys that ranked ahead of him? P. Manning, Schaub, Brady, Favre, Brees, Rivers, Romo, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Warner, Campbell, Flacco)

And he accomplished all of it while benefitting from a running game that was only slightly worse than Buffalo's:

Quit making sense....... :bag:

He also won more games than the "stud" QB he was trading for. But Cutler has a rocket arm. :bag:

Orton is a solid NFL QB. However, I do think the Edwards' comparison are somewhat valid. Orton is more durable and probably goes downfield more but they have similar traits. At this point, I'd rather see what Brohm or Brown have if Edwards doesn't win the job.

If I had the choice, I wouldlet them keep Orton and go for Quinn. Atleast Quinn has more upside

With Orton, you get what you've seen

Yep, just wins.

Orton isn't the best QB in the league, but would be an upgrade over all our guys but Brohm. I

say give Brohm a real shot and see what he does before we trade for another QB (unless it's

one of the Mannings). Not saying Brohm is going to be a great, or even serviceable, NFL QB

but I'd like to see what he can do.

As for Orton, always liked the guy. Just seems to win.

exactly.....well put......we've got what we've got and we're going to camp with it. this group has no idea what they possess yet, so paying anything else for kyle orton would be a waste, no matter how small. this is like that show about hording.....we don't need any more mediocre QB's......no matter what the cost.....FREE is different, ala jamarcus russell - not that i want that - but it's free........don't part with any draft choices for more backups

+1

Welcome to TBD. I assume that you are with the San Diego Bills Backers? I've been down there the last couple of times the Bills have played and the SDBB'ers always throw a great party.