Excellent ESPN Article on Ed Wang

I love this story. I just hope the kid can PLAY. Virginia Tech isn't Podunk U. and he has faced tough competition; hopefully the "weaknesses" that allowed him to drop into the 5th round are coachable.

I hope he succeeds, but I have to say I'm a little sorry for this kid. The pressure his parents have put on him is enormous. What if he wanted to be a mechanic or a banker or musician or a scientist or a writer? Did he ever get the chance to consider a different life?

I hope he succeeds, but I have to say I'm a little sorry for this kid. The pressure his parents have put on him is enormous. What if he wanted to be a mechanic or a banker or musician or a scientist or a writer? Did he ever get the chance to consider a different life?

Well, if you feel sorry for him, might as well feel sorry for 90% of all Asian Americans. Most, if not ALL of us, were raised under enormous pressure to be better and more successful than our parents. Granted, there might be a bit more pressure on him, given the spotlight and publicity of the position, but the concept is felt by all of us.

I mean, look at me... I wanted to pursue a musical career at Julliard, but I ended up studying Finance, and becoming a consultant. :thumbsup:

Unless we trade for someone, he is gonna be our LT this year.

He might be the 2nd team LT if he has a great camp, but there is no way this kid cracks the starting lineup as a rook.

By far the most in-depth article I've seen yet on our 5th round tackle prospect.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...for-this-moment

However he ends up playing, the kid is a really intriguing player. And I wouldn't bet against him.

I'm excited to see how his season (and career) work out.

Great article by ESPN's Tim Graham.

Hes gonna be our starting LT, im almost willing to bet it.

1)Scouts think hes perfect for zone blocking

2) Vtech is no slouch school, prob more polished than bell

3) great pass protector

Plus, his competition is bell and meredith, need a say more?

Well, if you feel sorry for him, might as well feel sorry for 90% of all Asian Americans. Most, if not ALL of us, were raised under enormous pressure to be better and more successful than our parents. Granted, there might be a bit more pressure on him, given the spotlight and publicity of the position, but the concept is felt by all of us.

I mean, look at me... I wanted to pursue a musical career at Julliard, but I ended up studying Finance, and becoming a consultant. :thumbsup:

I hope you are still able to play music. I wanted to be a writer, and I was lucky enough to find a way to make a living as a teacher and still be able to write.

I see lots of Asian kids as high achievers, but I do hope they can end up doing something they enjoy.

This tidbit is interesting:

"Ed Wang was the first offensive tackle the Bills drafted since 2008, and the earliest they've drafted one since they took Mike Williams fourth overall in 2002."

Perhaps Ralph was so hard done by because of the Williams debacle, he is reluctant to authorize a high selection on an LT. Sooner or later if these late round and undrafted prospects don't pan out, we'll have to take one early and hope for the best.

This tidbit is interesting:

"Ed Wang was the first offensive tackle the Bills drafted since 2008, and the earliest they've drafted one since they took Mike Williams fourth overall in 2002."

Perhaps Ralph was so hard done by because of the Williams debacle, he is reluctant to authorize a high selection on an LT. Soone or later if these late round and undrafted prospects don't pan out, we'll have to take one early and hope for the best.

Anthony Davis was the next tackle taken after pick 9 and he has more issues about his work ethic than Williams had. If Okung, who is a hard worker, slipped I think they wouldn't have hesitated to pick him.

He might be the 2nd team LT if he has a great camp, but there is no way this kid cracks the starting lineup as a rook.

So far Bell has been injured a couple times. Injuries are an "easy" way to crack the starting lineup. Even if he's not ready. See Bell, Merideth, et al.

Total cultural differences, everything his parents have done for him has not negativity affected him like it would a spoiled ass American. I have high hopes for this kid.

Jimmy Clausen's parents held him back twice to give him an edge playing. Personally, I think that is kinda of pathetic but their son did becoem a millionaire so there may be somethign to it.

I can't wait to have kids and pressure them into a career that will help get me a lot of money. :thumbsup:

When I saw we had taken Wang, I commented then that I thought the Bills did well with the pick. I saw him play well in two games against S.E.C. schools, Tennessee and Alabama. Solid competition and he did a fine job in both. So you are preaching to the choir on this one.

I hope you are still able to play music. I wanted to be a writer, and I was lucky enough to find a way to make a living as a teacher and still be able to write.

I see lots of Asian kids as high achievers, but I do hope they can end up doing something they enjoy.

I think a lot of that has to do with discipline as well. So when the kids are finally by themselves, they can make the most of the opportunities that come their way. Especially in a country like America.

and just like that, Buffalo has tapped the worlds largest fan base, China. Take THAT Dallas.

Yup. Pretty soon we can watch Bills Vs Cowboys, MNF at 10 AM EST ( or 8PM Beijing) !!!

Unless we trade for someone, he is gonna be our LT this year.

Still wish we would've grabbed somebody in the 1st couple of rounds besides getting Wang in the 5th...

Hes gonna be our starting LT, im almost willing to bet it.

1)Scouts think hes perfect for zone blocking

2) Vtech is no slouch school, prob more polished than bell

3) great pass protector

Plus, his competition is bell and meredith, need a say more?

Yeah, you didn't address the fact that his game isn't even close to NFL standard yet. That's why he was picked in the 5th rather than the 1st or 2nd round.