Report: Marshawn Lynch wants out of Buffalo

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/919...tm_term=packers

Green Bay — If the Green Bay Packers are interested in acquiring a veteran running back after the draft, add the name of Marshawn Lynch to that of Brian Westbrook on the list of possibilities.

Lynch, a 1,000-yard rusher in 2007 and '08 but with a long history of off-field problems, wants out of Buffalo and the Bills appear more than willing to trade him.

"I'm sure they'd be willing to take whatever at this point," a personnel director for a National Football League team said Friday. "They've got too many guys and they're trying to move him, but I don't know if there's much activity. He just doesn't want to be there. Just not a good situation."

The Packers might have selected Lynch with their first-round draft choice in 2007, but the Bills took him with the 12th choice. Four choices later, Green Bay took defensive tackle Justin Harrell.

Lynch was suspended for the first three games of 2009 after pleading guilty to a weapons charge. Fred Jackson then played so well that Lynch couldn't get his job back.

When the Bills drafted running back C.J. Spiller with the ninth pick Thursday night, Lynch's career in Buffalo appeared finished.

Lynch, who turned 24 Thursday, has two years remaining on a modest contract. He hasn't been participating in the Bills' off-season workout program.

In three seasons, the hard-running Lynch has rushed 650 times for 2,601 yards (4.0) and 17 touchdowns. He also has 93 receptions for 663 yards. Last year, he rushed for 450 yards.

"He went to the Pro Bowl," the personnel man said. "He's a good player."

Lynch, 5 feet, 11 inches and 215 pounds, played in the same backfield with Aaron Rodgers at the University of California in 2004.

Westbrook, 30, became a free agent Feb. 23 when the Philadelphia Eagles released him.

It is nice of the anonymous source to say that we would take "whatever at this point."

It sounds like someone trying to deflate whatever market there is. I doubt that the Bills will take "whatever at this point." They will hold on to him unless someone offers something worthwile.

Green Bay — If the Green Bay Packers are interested in acquiring a veteran running back after the draft, add the name of Marshawn Lynch to that of Brian Westbrook on the list of possibilities.

Lynch, a 1,000-yard rusher in 2007 and '08 but with a long history of off-field problems, wants out of Buffalo and the Bills appear more than willing to trade him.

"I'm sure they'd be willing to take whatever at this point," a personnel director for a National Football League team said Friday. "They've got too many guys and they're trying to move him, but I don't know if there's much activity. He just doesn't want to be there. Just not a good situation."

The Packers might have selected Lynch with their first-round draft choice in 2007, but the Bills took him with the 12th choice. Four choices later, Green Bay took defensive tackle Justin Harrell.

Lynch was suspended for the first three games of 2009 after pleading guilty to a weapons charge. Fred Jackson then played so well that Lynch couldn't get his job back.

When the Bills drafted running back C.J. Spiller with the ninth pick Thursday night, Lynch's career in Buffalo appeared finished.

Lynch, who turned 24 Thursday, has two years remaining on a modest contract. He hasn't been participating in the Bills' off-season workout program.

In three seasons, the hard-running Lynch has rushed 650 times for 2,601 yards (4.0) and 17 touchdowns. He also has 93 receptions for 663 yards. Last year, he rushed for 450 yards.

Lynch, 5 feet, 11 inches and 215 pounds, played in the same backfield with Aaron Rodgers at the University of California in 2004.

Westbrook, 30, became a free agent Feb. 23 when the Philadelphia Eagles released him.

Old news...already been refuted.

It is nice of the the anonymous source to say that we would take "whatever at this point."

It sounds like someon trying to deflate whatever market there is. I doubt that the Bills wil take "whatever at this point."

Green Bay area reporter drumming up support for a trade to ... Green Bay. yada yada yada

A conditional 3rd rounder in 2011. If Marshawn has over 1200 yards then it becomes a 2nd rounder. Take it or leave it Green Bay. Nix is not a guy who's going to just hand over Lynch at this point in time, because he knows that Lynch is at the top of the list of RBs that contending teams will trade for in the event of an injury to their starter.

who cares. he's under contract. If he pulls a peters, let him collect fines and no paycheck. Hopefully nix is smarter than trading everyone that "doesn't want to be here". It shouldn't be left up to the players. they need to undo a bad precedent.

who cares. he's under contract. If he pulls a peters, let him collect fines and no paycheck. Hopefully nix is smarter than trading everyone that "doesn't want to be here". It shouldn't be left up to the players. they need to undo a bad precedent.

As Buddy said, it is not up to him. I loved that.

Apparently this PD believed the telephone game being played WRT Lynch. And the Bills were offered Seattle's 2-4th rounders and passed, as they rightfully should have. So much for "taking anything for him."

Apparently this PD believed the telephone game being played WRT Lynch. And the Bills were offered Seattle's 2-4th rounders and passed, as they rightfully should have. So much for "taking anything for him."

^^^This...

Que Price is Right Epic Fail Music for the reporter...

he will report to mandatory camp, last i heard.

jw

It is nice of the the anonymous source to say that we would take "whatever at this point."

It sounds like someon trying to deflate whatever market there is. I doubt that the Bills will take "whatever at this point." They will hold on to him unless someone offers something worthwile.

Your are right dude. If that was the case, we would have traded him for a 4th or 5th round pick. But in my opinion, you dont trade Lynch unless you get more value than that. RB's are easily hurt, even though we have 3 good ones.

My opinion-keep lynch untill you can get good value for him, or he truly becomes a team cancer (which he may be close to doing)

Once again the new bills leadership is showing their mettle.....

Dont release him just because he wants out......show up and play your @ss off or sit and meanwhile we will have your replacement waiting in the bullpen in CJ Spiller

He was a 1st round pick who has had 1000 yard seasons......why let him go for significantly less?

Could it just possibly be that the unidentified personnel director works for the Packers and is trying to deflate Lynch's value? Nah, that couldn't possibly be.

It sounds like someon trying to deflate whatever market there is. I doubt that the Bills will take "whatever at this point." They will hold on to him unless someone offers something worthwile.

They should not take "whatever at this point". Starters always get injured during pre-season and then teams get desperate. We should not take anything less that second round pick next year. He is a good power back. I would not have a problem keeping him etheir

I suspect the offer for "whatever" came and went in last weeks draft. "Whatever" wasn't good enough then and it isn't now. If ML wants out he should demonstrate that he isn't so much of a conduct issue by showing up for conditioning and playing his ass off. Then, there may be enhanced interest with ML getting his departure and the Bills getting more in return. Otherwise, the Bills can let ML sit through the Lake Erie gusts kind of like Al Davis did to Marcus Allen (just as long as Uncle Ralph doesn't go bonkers like Al Davis).

A conditional 2nd rounder in 2011. If Marshawn has over 1200 yards then it becomes a 1st rounder. Take it or leave it Green Bay. Nix is not a guy who's going to just hand over Lynch at this point in time, because he knows that Lynch is at the top of the list of RBs that contending teams will trade for in the event of an injury to their starter.

fixed :)

now seriously. these reporters can talk/write all they want. nix wont just give him away. you want him, you pay for.

and thats the right way to go.

Out of curiousity, does anyone know if Marshawn's younger brother is in Buffalo? I seem to recall that his little brother (I recall that they called him boo or boo boo) was going to move with him to Buffalo and play football. I am not sure whether that ever happened though.

Trading Lynch would be another stupid move by a stupid franchise. How many first round picks must these team waste on RBs before they realize not to draft first round RBs...

I understand the thought. It seems like we are continually replacing guys . . . whether it be at RB, CB, QB, or whatever position.

I have confidence in Buddy and his crew to make the right decision though. I like the Spiller pick a lot because he was (in my view) a top 5 talent available at 9 and the top tackles were gone.

no one has heard from lynch all offseason and somehow people hear that "he wants out". So marshawn hasnt been talking to chan gailey but he has been talking to news reporters and "nfl personel" men. half these guys just make stuff up dont buy into any of it

You have a point. Nevertheless, I surmise that he is not happy based on the fact that he did not show up when everyone else did in combination with the way that Buddy answered some questions.

We will see whether he shows up for the OTAs.

You have a point. Nevertheless, I surmise that he is not happy based on the fact that he did not show up when everyone else did in combination with the way that Buddy answered some questions.

Wawrow says the latest is that he plans on showing up to mandatory.

Where does one start?

Too bad we don't have any leverage to trade him anymore.

Markets are not static. They ebb and flow. Virtually all the desirable RBs were moved this week, that is true. But this puts Lynch and the Bills at the top of the list. A few RB injuries from now and the Bills are sitting in the "cat-bird seat."

Trading Lynch would be another stupid move by a stupid franchise. How many first round picks must these team waste on RBs before they realize not to draft first round RBs...

Thoner, surely you are cognizant of the idea of cutting your losses?

Just because he was a first rounder in and of itself is not a blanket justification for keeping the guy. Moreover, he doesn't want to be here and workout with his teammates and get a good start on learning the new offense and meet his new coaches.

After returning from his suspension out of shape last year and skipping the first voluntary workouts this year, do you, Thoner, think we can count on Lynch to show up motivated, in shape, and with a good attitude?

Teams move on from first rounders all the time. I could see an argument made for trying to keep Winfield or Clemens at the time of their departures. But with Lynch, it would be shrewd to cut our losses and try to get value for him, before he !@#$s that up for us too.

no one has heard from lynch all offseason and somehow people hear that "he wants out". So marshawn hasnt been talking to chan gailey but he has been talking to news reporters and "nfl personel" men. half these guys just make stuff up dont buy into any of it

I don't think Mark Gaughan always supplies us with enough inside info, but I believe that what he reports is true. Gaughan reported that "people" he spoke with in the Bills locker room (sounds like teammates) said that he didn't want to be here.

Which underscores the point that Marshawn Lynch just doesn' get it.

Whether he wants to salvage his career in Buffalo or whether he wants to be moved, there is but ONE thing that would help facilitate either of those goals: Tell Nix he will work hard but that he wants out. Then come in, work hard, and exhibit a good attitude. He then reduces other teams' concerns about his character and maybe even resurrects his stalled career in Buffalo for the time being.

Lynch's unwillingness to be a good teammate damages his value and makes other parties reticent to trade for him.

Of all the dumb things Lynch has done over the past two years, this (not attending voluntary workouts) is the one that makes it clear to me that he is a clueless idiot. JMO.

Where does one start?

Markets are not static. They ebb and flow. Virtually all the desirable RBs were moved this week, that is true. But this puts Lynch and the Bills at the top of the list. A few RB injuries from now and the Bills are sitting in the "cat-bird seat."

Thoner, surely you are cognizant of the idea of cutting your losses?

Just because he was a first rounder in and of itself is not a blanket justification for keeping the guy. Moreover, he doesn't want to be here and workout with his teammates and get a good start on learning the new offense and meet his new coaches.

After returning from his suspension out of shape last year and skipping the first voluntary workouts this year, do you, Thoner, think we can count on Lynch to show up motivated, in shape, and with a good attitude?

Teams move on from first rounders all the time. I could see an argument made for trying to keep Winfield or Clemens at the time of their departures. But with Lynch, it would be shrewd to cut our losses and try to get value for him, before he !@#$s that up for us too.

I don't think Mark Gaughan always supplies us with enough inside info, but I believe that what he reports is true. Gaughan reported that "people" he spoke with in the Bills locker room (sounds like teammates) said that he didn't want to be here.

Which underscores the point that Marshawn Lynch just doesn' get it.

Whether he wants to salvage his career in Buffalo or whether he wants to be moved, there is but ONE thing that would help facilitate either of those goals: Tell Nix he will work hard but that he wants out. Then come in, work hard, and exhibit a good attitude. He then reduces other teams' concerns about his character and maybe even resurrects his stalled career in Buffalo for the time being.

Lynch's unwillingness to be a good teammate damages his value and makes other parties reticent to trade for him.

Of all the dumb things Lynch has done over the past two years, this (not attending voluntary workouts) is the one that makes it clear to me that he is a clueless idiot. JMO.

San Jose, that was just a well thought out and worded response to thoner.

Find me a link to a story where he specifically states that he no longer wants to play for us.

The JS is an excellent source for football news - better than the local Buffalo papers. Do you really think a) that a good reporter is going to divulge a source, and b) that Lynch wants to be in Buffalo? I'd bet my right arm that Lynch wants outta here ASAFP. From the arrests to the constant media criticism to the second string status last year to the first round draft pick this year to the fact that he's from the other coast, it's pretty clear that he'd love to get out of Buffalo.

The AP has reported that Lynch is not happy being in Buffalo.

Nix has said it's his intention that Lynch be part of the team, and it's not Lynch's decision to be traded. From what I've been told, that has been Nix's position, and has not changed.

Lynch is expected to be at mandatory workouts.

Given that, I cannot verify what an unnamed NFL person told another reporter.

I disagree with the statement that Lynch doesn't "get it."

jw

The AP has reported that Lynch is not happy being in Buffalo.

Nix has said it's his intention that Lynch be part of the team, and it's not Lynch's decision to be traded. From what I've been told, that has been Nix's position, and has not changed.

Lynch is expected to be at mandatory workouts.

Given that, I cannot verify what an unnamed NFL person told another reporter.

I disagree with the statement that Lynch doesn't "get it."

jw

Hey JW,

Well, as I was the one who said that Lynch "doesn't get it." How do you disagree?

The conventional reply would be that the only leverage a player has is to withhold his services. I understood that when I wrote the original post but I still believe the better route would be to do what I proposed:

Make a good faith deal with Nix that he will be shopped, and in the meantime, attend voluntary workouts. IMO, it helps rehabs his image, and prepares him for the worst case scenario (for Lynch) that he ends up playing with the Bills for one more season.

Or did you you mean something else by your comment that you disagree that "Lynch doesn't get it?"

If Lynch DID say that Buffalo is a "bad situation" for him...I DON'T blame him.

Look at how some of you "fans" treat the guy! Look at what he has been through and where he comes from...He has made some mistakes and wants a fair shot at a second chance, and he knows the people of Buffalo won't give it to him!

He might as well start anew somewhere else...with a team and a fanbase that wants him!

If Lynch DID say that Buffalo is a "bad situation" for him...I DON'T blame him.

Look at how some of you "fans" treat the guy! Look at what he has been through and where he comes from...He has made some mistakes and wants a fair shot at a second chance, and he knows the people of Buffalo won't give it to him!

He might as well start anew somewhere else...with a team and a fanbase that wants him!

First off, Lynch is not being quoted saying Buffalo is a "bad situation" and second, he doesn't get to make the decision to start somewhere else.

My take on the Lynch situation was that Nix and Lynch are stuck with each other and they have an agreement. Lynch plays out the year with the other two backs in Jackson and Spiller and he gets traded next year. Now its a win win and a lose lose for both. Lynch's value isn't exactly really high right now so it would benefit Lynch to have a good year and show he is a model citizen so that he can get traded to a team were he can get both a starting job and a contract extension.

So no matter what Nix says to Lynch he next year we are trading or releasing you. So he has incentive to play (Knowing Nix isn't going to hold him hostage and getting a new contract) while the Bills hope he has a good year and they can get an extra 4th 3rd or if he has a really good year 2nd from a team desperate for a running back.

At 25 (At the end of next season) if Lynch can come off a good year he can have value at a 3rd or 4th round selection. Right now I just hope we don't over look Jackson in order to bolster Lynch's trade value. All in all its an Al and Peggy Bundy like marriage between the Bills and Lynch.

My take on the Lynch situation was that Nix and Lynch are stuck with each other and they have an agreement. Lynch plays out the year with the other two backs in Jackson and Spiller and he gets traded next year. Now its a win win and a lose lose for both. Lynch's value isn't exactly really high right now so it would benefit Lynch to have a good year and show he is a model citizen so that he can get traded to a team were he can get both a starting job and a contract extension.

So no matter what Nix says to Lynch he next year we are trading or releasing you. So he has incentive to play (Knowing Nix isn't going to hold him hostage and getting a new contract) while the Bills hope he has a good year and they can get an extra 4th 3rd or if he has a really good year 2nd from a team desperate for a running back.

At 25 (At the end of next season) if Lynch can come off a good year he can have value at a 3rd or 4th round selection. Right now I just hope we don't over look Jackson in order to bolster Lynch's trade value. All in all its an Al and Peggy Bundy like marriage between the Bills and Lynch.

I think Lynch will eventually be traded to a serious contending team that loses it's starting running back either in training camp or early in the season. Probably for a conditional second or third round pick.