FYI to my friends on TSW, my Dad died yesterday

The Dean

I am simply posting this for those who know me for real, or who have known me for years on this board. My father died yesterday, peacefully in his home, in his bed, of congestive heart failure. He was 86.

I took my Dad to the doctor early Monday morning because he wasn't feeling well. They gave him an oxygen treatment, a shot of lasix and a shot of antibiotics. I took him to get a chest X-Ray and blood work and then home. I rescheduled all my calls to stay with him and suggested we go to the hospital when it seemed like he was having some breathing trouble. He didn't want to go, and asked me to call the doctor.

The doctor's office said they would call to get the X-Ray results and when I went to his bedroom to tell my Dad he was in his bed, not breathing. I gave him CPR and called 911. They responded immediately (less than 2 minutes, I estimate). They worked on him for quite a while but it was obvious to me he was gone. He died very peacefully.

I asked the doctor at the hospital if things would have been different if I had forced him to go to the hospital earlier (yeah, right...try forcing an old Italian man to do anything he doesn't want to do). She thinks he would have died in the Emergency waiting room. Even if his regular doctor had sent him to the hospital, I think he might be clinging to "life" on tubes and machines. All in all, he died as well as one can ask for. (Well, for me I'd prefer to have a drink in my hand, or die mid-coitus. But my Dad didn't drink and was 86, so neither of those conditions apply.)

He will be cremated and buried in Jacksonville National Cemetery which is a VA cemetery. As he is a disabled WWII vet, he will have an honor guard at his burial. We will have a celebration of his life sometime this summer in Niagara Falls.

My mother is a rock and taking this quite well (dementia has an upside!). My brother is in the hospital clinging to what little life he still has. My sister (and her husband) and I are handling all the arrangements. Everyone is fine and thankful for the great life he had.

As I recently lost one of my best friends, I am a bit numb, but doing fine. Both of them went quickly and suffered very little. I am thankful for that. The next few years look to hold more of the same, unfortunately. But we must tread on.

I will be fine, please don't shed a tear for me. I am happy I got to spend the last day with my Dad. Just give an extra hug to your loved ones tonight or tomorrow.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am simply posting this for those who know me for real, or who have known me for years on this board. My father died yesterday, peacefully in his home, in his bed, of congestive heart failure. He was 86.

I took my Dad to the doctor early Monday morning because he wasn't feeling well. They gave him an oxygen treatment, a shot of lasix and a shot of antibiotics. I took him to get a chest X-Ray and blood work and then home. I rescheduled all my calls to stay with him and suggested we go to the hospital when it seemed like he was having some breathing trouble. He didn't want to go, and asked me to call the doctor.

The doctor's office said they would call to get the X-Ray results and when I went to his bedroom to tell my Dad he was in his bed, not breathing. I gave him CPR and called 911. They responded immediately (less than 2 minutes, I estimate). They worked on him for quite a while but it was obvious to me he was gone. He died very peacefully.

I asked the doctor at the hospital if things would have been different if I had forced him to go to the hospital earlier (yeah, right...try forcing an old Italian man to do anything he doesn't want to do). She thinks he would have died in the Emergency waiting room. Even if his regular doctor had sent him to the hospital, I think he might be clinging to "life" on tubes and machines. All in all, he died as well as one can ask for. (Well, for me I'd prefer to have a drink in my hand, or die mid-coitus. But my Dad didn't drink and was 86, so neither of those conditions apply.)

He will be cremated and buried in Jacksonville National Cemetery which is a VA cemetery. As he is a disabled WWII vet, he will have an honor guard at his burial. We will have a celebration of his life sometime this summer in Niagara Falls.

My mother is a rock and taking this quite well (dementia has an upside!). My brother is in the hospital clinging to what little life he still has. My sister (and her husband) and I are handling all the arrangements. Everyone is fine and thankful for the great life he had.

As I recently lost one of my best friends, I am a bit numb, but doing fine. Both of them went quickly and suffered very little. I am thankful for that. The next few years look to hold more of the same, unfortunately. But we must tread on.

I will be fine, please don't shed a tear for me. I am happy I got to spend the last day with my Dad. Just give an extra hug to your loved ones tonight or tomorrow.

I know you said "friends"...but I'll post my sympathies too.

Long life, peaceful death. Everyone's time comes...there's a lot to be said for it coming late and easily.

Sorry to hear this Dean.

I'm sure he was happy to spend his last day with you as well.

Dean my most sincere condolences, be thankful for all the years you had with him, you are truly blessed to have had as much time as you did with him...celebrate his life and all you shared with him. Sounds like you've had more than your fair share to deal with, know that your friends are here for you.

Sorry for your loss Dean. Sounds like you were very lucky to have him as a father and he was very lucky to have you as a son. This is a day we all know will come, but never want it to, hang in there. Best of luck to you and your family.

Dean--I read this before I went to Dinner at my favorite grandma and grandpa's home made pasta and sauce restaurant tonight. I raised a man's martini to your dad before dinner and a grappa post meal...you and family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Here is to the life of service to country and family your dad lived. May he rest in peace and bring many warm memories and smiles to your face.

God bless..

Hey it's only been a few years that we've communicated, but you've definitely left a very positive impression with me. Your cool and the gang!!

I'm really sorry to hear this. It sounds like you've done every possible thing you could have.

Go watch a good Cronenberg film to take your mind off of things. <_<

Love You mannnnnn.

-Chuck