Dane Cook

Ok... Let me preface the reason for this thread. It's Sat night, wife is out of town, Sabres get a big win, and I'm drinking alone flipping channels and surfin the net. So comedy central is playing one of his stand up specials from Madison Square Garden last year. I'm 26 and graduated from undergrad in 06 so from what I gather I'm still close to being in this guy's "target audience". I've seen a little bit of his stuff here and there and all I want to know is how the hell does anyone find this guy funny!? He is absolutely horrible. I haven't even cracked a smile. It's scary that so much of the population can "believe" in something just because it's what they're "supposed" to do. Seriously during this crap, he's going through his routine and a few thousand people are laughing and screaming before he even makes a punchline! ....terrible

Ok... Let me preface the reason for this thread. It's Sat night, wife is out of town, Sabres get a big win, and I'm drinking alone flipping channels and surfin the net. So comedy central is playing one of his stand up specials from Madison Square Garden last year. I'm 26 and graduated from undergrad in 06 so from what I gather I'm still close to being in this guy's "target audience". I've seen a little bit of his stuff here and there and all I want to know is how the hell does anyone find this guy funny!? He is absolutely horrible. I haven't even cracked a smile. It's scary that so much of the population can "believe" in something just because it's what they're "supposed" to do. Seriously during this crap, he's going through his routine and a few thousand people are laughing and screaming before he even makes a punchline! ....terrible

That's funny. I used to like him about 5-6 years ago (15-16 yrs old) but when I've watched him lately he's been terrible. I happened to be watching the exact same thing you were last night, it definitely sucked.

Family Guy- Dane Cook Spoof

You're about 5-10 years older than the target audience.

Without a frame of reference, he probably does seem funny.

My teenage daughter used to rave about the guy until I showed her some YouTube clips of Carlin, Pryor, etc.

agreed with your general feelings on Dane Cook. dude sucks.

wrt the bold, i caught part of the show last night too, that's what they call "sweetening it up". its bad editing of crowd noise into an otherwise silent crowd. sometimes it was people yelling as he walked to their part of the theatre, but a lot of it was canned laghter being put in because he doesnt tell jokes. the couple of stories (not jokes) that i heard him tell, didnt even have punchlines. he would just trail off or change the subject after he got to say something that sounded like a catchphrase.

abomination of comedy

Calling Dane Cook a clown is an insult to clowns.

I saw him once on TV and could not believe how horrible he is. Overrated doesn't even start to describe him.

This is 2:01 but it seems a lot longer. This is a good example of his utter lameness. Foul language; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAn7RpSBtyE

This is funny;

That's funny. I used to like him about 5-6 years ago (15-16 yrs old) but when I've watched him lately he's been terrible. I happened to be watching the exact same thing you were last night, it definitely sucked.

Family Guy- Dane Cook Spoof

The Family Guy thing was funny as hell!! :)B-)

His spastic style fits the instant gratification model of entertainment that seems to be preferred these days.

And that's the problem with todays comedians. People are expecting a quick laugh every 30 seconds. The older, better comedians, like

, Eddie Murphy, etc, could take 5 minutes setting up a scene, then hit you with the hilarious finish.

I watched one of Cooks older Comedy Central specials and thought it was enjoyable (Nothing more then average nowhere near the greats) but his newer stuff is just bad. Its like Cook preforms unfunny jokes in a really enthusiastic manner and somehow the energy of his performance makes people forget the rather low quality of his jokes.

He used to be in. Now it's in to hate on him. Who cares.

I agree with this. Dane Cook is not the best or worst comedian out there but it's definately cool to crush him. Everyone knows the type of cool guy I'm talking about. One of my friends just layed into Cook last week and later admitted he has only seen his movies. Again, I'm no big fan of Dane Cook but he is the Duke Blue Devils of comedy.

..... and can we stop comparing every performer to the all-time greatest of their craft? Every comedian isn't Richard Prior in his prime.

Calling Dane Cook a clown is an insult to clowns.

This is 2:01 but it seems a lot longer. This is a good example of his utter lameness. Foul language; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAn7RpSBtyE

This is funny;

The Family Guy thing was funny as hell!! :lol::unsure:

Wow-it's funny how a football board is so full of pretentious snobs! That clip was actually funny. Just because he's popular you don't have to bash him.

Wow-it's funny how a football board is so full of pretentious snobs! That clip was actually funny. Just because he's popular you don't have to bash him.

What part was funny? His antics?

I am not a 15 yr old, so I don't get it.

Maybe you can explain it us that are older than 20, what is actually funny about that clip?

I agree with this. Dane Cook is not the best or worst comedian out there but it's definately cool to crush him. Everyone knows the type of cool guy I'm talking about. One of my friends just layed into Cook last week and later admitted he has only seen his movies. Again, I'm no big fan of Dane Cook but he is the Duke Blue Devils of comedy.

..... and can we stop comparing every performer to the all-time greatest of their craft? Every comedian isn't Richard Prior in his prime.

no way, the Blue Devils win Championships and prove they are the best. The Yankees win Championships and prove they are the best. Dane Cook has made a fortune out of being mediocre at best. Good for him and all, but when it comes to actual comedy, his routine has gotten really weak. He had some funny bits back in the day, but seems to have convinced himself that he can say ANYTHING and have it be funny, as long as he says it a certain way.

and there are PLENTY of other funny comedians that aren't "the all-time greatest" but are at least original and creative enough to write real jokes.

You want to catch a great act, watch Bill Burr's newest special on comedy central. Very funny.

YES! Ive seen Burr live twice now at small clubs and have his CDs and the guy is hilarious.

in order to turn this into a more positive thread, let's list some current comedians who are actually funny. In no order...

Patton Oswalt

Brian Poshen

Louis CK

Bill Burr

Zach Galifianakis

Dave Attell

who else you guys got?

YES! Ive seen Burr live twice now at small clubs and have his CDs and the guy is hilarious.

in order to turn this into a more positive thread, let's list some current comedians who are actually funny. In no order...

Patton Oswalt

Brian Poshen

Louis CK

Bill Burr

Zach Galifianakis

Dave Attell

who else you guys got?

Other recent stand ups that I love

Mike Berbigila

Joe Rogan (Yes the Fear Factor/UFC/News Radio guy does comedy and he is really good)

Patrice O'Neal (Only does live shows no audio CD really good though)

Aziz Ansari

Mitch Hedberg (A bit of a stoner comedy but still funny even if you are not high)

Kyle Cease (Only his one dimple album though the rest of his stuff kinda sucks)

Gerry Dee

Nick Swardson

I also love Patton Oswalt and like both Galifanakis and Lewis CK (Good but very overrated) out of the guys you mentioned.

All in all there is a lot of good stand up out there and the fact that you can see most of these guys live at a rather inexpensive rate (I see Patrice O'Neal almost every year because you can't get his stuff on CD) is also really cool too. An honorable mention goes out to Kevin Smith's Q and A sessions while not the conventional stand up form he is really really funny.

What part was funny? His antics?

I am not a 15 yr old, so I don't get it.

Maybe you can explain it us that are older than 20, what is actually funny about that clip?

Dane Cook is not your avearge comedian, he is a different type of comedian. He has his own way to make people laugh, whether you agree with it or not, he does it, and does it well. Most people have this notion that all comeidans are supposed to tell a bunch of one liners with some filler material.

Larry Curly and Moe were not your run of teh mill comedey they were slapstick. Now a days if three guys went on tv and beat the snot out of each other for an hour people some would call it a disaster and a disgrace to its origins.

Im not a Cook supporter but i have gotten a lugh or 2 out of his material, just because he presents it well.

That being said one of my favorite comedic performances is Robin Williams, live on HBO special.

Other recent stand ups that I love

Mike Berbigila

Joe Rogan (Yes the Fear Factor/UFC/News Radio guy does comedy and he is really good)

Patrice O'Neal (Only does live shows no audio CD really good though)

Aziz Ansari

Mitch Hedberg (A bit of a stoner comedy but still funny even if you are not high)

Kyle Cease (Only his one dimple album though the rest of his stuff kinda sucks)

Gerry Dee

Nick Swardson

I also love Patton Oswalt and like both Galifanakis and Lewis CK (Good but very overrated) out of the guys you mentioned.

All in all there is a lot of good stand up out there and the fact that you can see most of these guys live at a rather inexpensive rate (I see Patrice O'Neal almost every year because you can't get his stuff on CD) is also really cool too. An honorable mention goes out to Kevin Smith's Q and A sessions while not the conventional stand up form he is really really funny.

im with ya completely on Birbiglia, Rogan, O'Neal, Ansari, Hedberg(RIP), and Swardson. was going to put them on my list but wanted to leave some for others to mention :unsure:

im not very familiar with Cease or Dee, although I googled them and recognized them.

how can you call Louis CK OVERRATED?!? he's the funniest un-famous comic out there!

Dane Cook is not your avearge comedian, he is a different type of comedian. He has his own way to make people laugh, whether you agree with it or not, he does it, and does it well. Most people have this notion that all comeidans are supposed to tell a bunch of one liners with some filler material.

Larry Curly and Moe were not your run of teh mill comedey they were slapstick. Now a days if three guys went on tv and beat the snot out of each other for an hour people some would call it a disaster and a disgrace to its origins.

Im not a Cook supporter but i have gotten a lugh or 2 out of his material, just because he presents it well.

That being said one of my favorite comedic performances is Robin Williams, live on HBO special.

I'm going to get slaughtered for this, but I have never laughed at the 3 stooges. Apparently it's supposed to be something that 100% of guys like, but I just find it to be humor for the lowest common denominator.

I'm going to get slaughtered for this, but I have never laughed at the 3 stooges. Apparently it's supposed to be something that 100% of guys like, but I just find it to be humor for the lowest common denominator.

You and me both. I was never really a fan of them either, i really didnt get it all that much.

im with ya completely on Birbiglia, Rogan, O'Neal, Ansari, Hedberg(RIP), and Swardson. was going to put them on my list but wanted to leave some for others to mention :unsure:

im not very familiar with Cease or Dee, although I googled them and recognized them.

how can you call Louis CK OVERRATED?!? he's the funniest un-famous comic out there!

Maybe its because I am young or whatever but I just don't find CK to be the end all be all of comedy. Don't get me wrong the guy is very good but his material just doesn't get to me in a way that the best comic of a generation should. I get much more laughs out of Patton Oswalts albums (Feeling Kinda Patton is epic and so is Werewolves and Lolipops although his newest album wasn't that great) and I find guys like Birbiglia and a few others better as well.

Its not that CK isn't funny or really good its just when I heard the way people were talking about him I was expecting something great and all it was, was just good but not great or epic comedy. All in all I just don't see CK as the greatest comic of the last decade as a lot of people would let on.

Oh and as far as Cease goes you should only go near his one album called One Dimple his other comedy central special was pretty bad but that One Dimple album was really good.

Well the 3 Stooges were the first public figures in entertainment to make fun of Hitler and the Nazi's. I personally love the Stooges and feel like while their humor is often simplistic it is really the best slapstick comedy ever. The plumbers short is some of the funniest well set up slapstick comedy ever. I guess the Stooges is something that either clicks with you or it doesn't.

My girlfriend's 12 year old daughter showed us a clip of Dane Cook on YouTube. She thought it was hilarious. We made her turn it off because of the profanity. Honestly, the guy does suck for having a headlining tour. He should be at a comedy club at best.