Clausen vs an OT

Snopple

With Donovan McNabb now a Redskin, it certainly increases the likely hood that Clausen will still be on the board when the Bills pick at number 9.

Now supposing one or more of the four OTs that are projected to be picked in the top 10 is also available, what would you do if you were in Buddy Nixes shoes?

For example, if the choice was between Bulaga and Clausen, who would you pick?

For those that want to summarize everything below and save their eyes!! My pick would be Jimmy Clausen QB....Read on

at your own risk...lol

I have been saying that those would be the two best option as far as realistic expectations in the draft. I really like both players and am torn. I understand both arguements as well as you really need to solidify your lines. The old saying is that games are won and lost in the trenches. I also believe that having the General of the Offense is an integral part of the offense. The QB is the King on the chessboard, and you can't do much...at least most of the time without him. He effects

the production of the offense, the RB's, the WR'S, the TE's etc....There was an article the other day or I guess a post on here about one of the years that Blesdoe was here...and how productive the offense was. It was actually ranked 11th in the

NFL if I remember correctly....Anyways, the article was trying to build a case to draft a OLT, yet they mentioned a couple

of times that the Bills and Bledoe & company gave up 57 Sacks that year!!!! about 10 or 11 more than last year if you could believe it!!! This was talked about twice in the article and although it was trying to suggest we need an OT, it did just

the opposite for me and made me realize that they were highly productive...well over 4,000 yards passing!! Big numbers for the WR's and RB's as well....I think that it really pointed out that you can win and be productive despite having a poor

Offensive line...even though it's not recommended, but if they had a quality Offensive Left tackle that particular year and

a Trent Edwards for a QB that same offense would have probably been far less successful and about 2200 yards passing, tons of picks, fumbles...I know that not everyone wants Trent Edwards to be traded or released, but I do...and I only have

a minute to list some why's....A mature QB that is an established NFL QB can usually sense pressure from the defense coming off the edges, up the middle and knows to release that ball quickly. There were times last year even with a injury

riddled Offensive lines that the T.V. announcers would mention that T.Edwards had a lot of time, yet he would hang on to

that ball, show reluctance, overlook the wide open receiver down field and either attempt a 2 yard dump off pass or take

a sack, or worse yet fumble. Trent also is a very lousy cold weather QB, a very poor QB in rain, fog, opposing stadiums, on high profile games, Toronto games, night games, important games...etc...lol...well maybe a little dramatic!

Anyways, he doesn't sense pressure well, He still stares down his receiver and the QB's read his eyes, His footwork isn't all

to savvy, and he can't run to save his life. Trent seems like a nice (yes man) guy, but he'll say it was his fault...but then he

starts to make excuses. He got Schonert fired, and even though Dick Jauron went way beyond the call of duty to promote, and protect Edwards....Edwards just recently passed some of the blame on multiple coach confusion and now all the sudden this offensive philosophy will be so much better since Chan Gailey is calling the plays. Well once this team gets to

be a force (if) again they will probably will have a true offensive coordiator again...So I guess that means that Trent will

have some confusion with the plays called as their will be multiple coaches involved in the offense again!

I think we need to draft a QB in the overall assesment of the two choices given. I think we may have to move up to K.City's #5 spot to ensure that we get Clausen as I have a feeling that a suitor will try to move up to get him. I think Jacksoville may be that team if we don't block them out by moving up...but just remember I said that Jax may try to move up to Washington's #5 spot if we don't...I think QB's are at a premium when they are potentially a franchise QB and I only

see 2 QB's maybe 3 that have earned that consideration. We may have to move back into that first round for our OLT

by trading our #2 pick and a player like Lynch...or whomever.

With Donovan McNabb now a Redskin, it certainly increases the likely hood that Clausen will still be on the board when the Bills pick at number 9.

Now supposing one or more of the four OTs that are projected to be picked in the top 10 is also available, what would you do if you were in Buddy Nixes shoes?

It's really very simple.

If you believe Clausen is the real deal you draft him.

If you have serious doubts then you consider other options.

If it's a close call you take Clausen.

I do believe he'll be the Bills pick because of the importance of the position. If he isn't it won't be because the Bills value an OT more highly (or any other position for that matter), it will be because they do not believe Clausen will become a long time starter in the NFL.

It's really very simple.

If you believe Clausen is the real deal you draft him.

If you have serious doubts then you consider other options.

If it's a close call you take Clausen.

I do believe he'll be the Bills pick because of the importance of the position. If he isn't it won't be because the Bills value an OT more highly (or any other position for that matter), it will be because they do not believe Clausen will become a long time starter in the NFL.

I'd like them to make a move in the 2nd. But you are right - they need to take a shot at a QB. If they tap one in the 1st, that's alright with me...no b*alls, no glory.

And most say how deep this years' draft is - even if they make a bust pick, they might end up ok...they are picking in the top 10, round after round.

I'd like them to make a move in the 2nd. But you are right - they need to take a shot at a QB. If they tap one in the 1st, that's alright with me...no b*alls, no glory.

And most say how deep this years' draft is - even if they make a bust pick, they might end up ok...they are picking in the top 10, round after round.

yup. We have many needs and should be able to fill several in rounds 1-4.

If we get lucky with a later pick we could be much improved.

Dude, his team just traded him to a division rival. Get the feeling that even THEY don't think all that much of him?

Yet fans here like you still think he is this great qb. He was great in 2004, and he was a very good qb before that year. But since then he has been an above average qb that continues to get adoration as if he were still a top five guy. He's not. He's overrated and the Bills are much better for him not wanting to come here.

I would much rather have the unknown rookie qb in Clausen, then the known close to a has been and who never won the big one even when he was good in McNabb.

One, you just ignored the facts that he has had NO talent to work with...none...yet made 5 NFC Championships and one SB.

You also ignorantly ignore the business facts of the situation...they WILL 100% lose either Kolb or McNabb after 2010 for ZERO compensation as both contracts are up and both want to start. They had to decide now to invest in Kolb who they believe to be the heir apparent or lose him and keep McNabb another few years.

You also ignore, that Reid diligently wanted to keep McNabb but the FO decided to make a decision for youth. Reid is the guy who has to go out and win games and he still feels that McNabb is his guy. But the FO also believes in Kolb and feels they have to make a move for the future now or risk losing Kolb next year for good.

You also completely disregard why the Eagles traded him to the Skins, which was in appreciation of McNabb to give him what he wants. They had plenty of trading partners with plenty to offer, but they allowed him to go to the Skins because they wanted to accomodate him as much as they could.

But you keep your simpleton point of view that it wasnt about losing one of them next season for no compensation...

Take an LT at #9 (if any of them are left), then trade back into the 20s to take Clausen, where he'll be sitting after the Bills pass on him with their first pick.

hmm...let's see....the last time a team took an OT in the first round and then traded back into the 1st round to pick up a QB was the Browns. Joe Thomas was a stud! Brady Quinn...is well, Brady Quinn.

Let's see...another time a team took a wide receiver and then traded back into round #1 to get a quarterback was the Bills. They ended up with Lee "I get 9 million" Evans and J.P. Losman.

It is very simple.

#1. If Bulaga or Okung falls to them, call it a blessing. It won't happen but that eliminates the stupid comments that both Okung and Bulaga are somehow going to be available.

#2. Since answer #1 is almost impossible, then best option is to see if there are Clausen takers, if so, pull the trigger on a trade.

#3. If there are no Clausen takers and the Bills feel great about him, take him!

#4. If the Bills don't feel good about him, take the best player available!

BULAGA.

One, you just ignored the facts that he has had NO talent to work with...none...yet made 5 NFC Championships and one SB.

You also ignorantly ignore the business facts of the situation...they WILL 100% lose either Kolb or McNabb after 2010 for ZERO compensation as both contracts are up and both want to start. They had to decide now to invest in Kolb who they believe to be the heir apparent or lose him and keep McNabb another few years.

You also ignore, that Reid diligently wanted to keep McNabb but the FO decided to make a decision for youth. Reid is the guy who has to go out and win games and he still feels that McNabb is his guy. But the FO also believes in Kolb and feels they have to make a move for the future now or risk losing Kolb next year for good.

You also completely disregard why the Eagles traded him to the Skins, which was in appreciation of McNabb to give him what he wants. They had plenty of trading partners with plenty to offer, but they allowed him to go to the Skins because they wanted to accomodate him as much as they could.

But you keep your simpleton point of view that it wasnt about losing one of them next season for no compensation...

...and you call me a simpleton???? :thumbsup:

If they feared him being on the Skins they would have never made the trade regardless of the "touching" sentiments. At this point in his career, McNabb is an above average (I'd say 10th best in the league) system QB. Nothing more, nothing less. The infatuation with McNabb here is weird.

Hey snarkman - tell me where I'm wrong, the only way Clausen doesn't slide is if the Seahawks take him at 13, and they just traded for a young QB.

Oh, and your Bulger idea is equally hilarious.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe I've ever mentioned Bulger on these forums. Certainly not in the context of any ideas I had.

Just because it's not predictable doesn't mean it won't happen. Someone will trade up, or someone will decide that they're actually not all that happy with their QB. You could be right, but the odds are pretty low.

Hey snarkman - tell me where I'm wrong, the only way Clausen doesn't slide is if the Seahawks take him at 13, and they just traded for a young QB.

Bulger? You must have mistaken me for someone far less dashing, debonair and brilliant. I've never mentioned Bulger.

Didn't think I was being all that snarky. Oh, well. Anyway, thinking that you (or I, or anyone) know exactly how things will come out is dangerous, particularly when you're predicting the actions of 20 or more unpredictable people. You think that you somehow KNOW that :

A) The Bills will pass on him.

B) Seattle will pass on him. Whitehurst has a two-year $8 mill deal plus incentives. Backup money these days. Derek Anderson just signed a $7.25 mill deal to backup Leinart in Arizona.

""It was understood to me that I was going to be the No. 2 and come in and compete and do what I've done over my career," he said. "I am coming into camp and everything like that and I've gone into every training camp I have been involved in thinking I am going to play and get better. Obviously, my job will be to push Matt and make him better, too."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5003121

The Whitehurst doesn't guarantee anything.

C) The Jags are thrilled enough with Garrard that there's no chance they bring in another guy.

D) Even if they fell in love with Clausen, the Dolphins are so completely satisfied with Henne that ...

E) None of the teams in front of Buffalo will pick him.

F) Nobody will trade up to get him if he somehow does manage to fall past everyone.

There's simply no way to guarantee this. Far from it.

Bulger? You must have mistaken me for someone far less dashing, debonair and brilliant. I've never mentioned Bulger.

Didn't think I was being all that snarky. Oh, well. Anyway, thinking that you (or I, or anyone) know exactly how things will come out is dangerous, particularly when you're predicting the actions of 20 or more unpredictable people. You think that you somehow KNOW that :

A) The Bills will pass on him.

B) Seattle will pass on him. Whitehurst has a two-year $8 mill deal plus incentives. Backup money these days. Derek Anderson just signed a $7.25 mill deal to backup Leinart in Arizona.

""It was understood to me that I was going to be the No. 2 and come in and compete and do what I've done over my career," he said. "I am coming into camp and everything like that and I've gone into every training camp I have been involved in thinking I am going to play and get better. Obviously, my job will be to push Matt and make him better, too."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5003121

The Whitehurst doesn't guarantee anything.

C) The Jags are thrilled enough with Garrard that there's no chance they bring in another guy.

D) Even if they fell in love with Clausen, the Dolphins are so completely satisfied with Henne that ...

E) None of the teams in front of Buffalo will pick him.

F) Nobody will trade up to get him if he somehow does manage to fall past everyone.

There's simply no way to guarantee this. Far from it. That you're that sure of it struck me as funnier than most of the stuff on Leno these days. I used to like him, but not after the whole thing in the last year or so.

If we drasft Clausen first, we need to trade #41 to Balimore for gaither. Heck, if we take anything besides a LT in rd 1, we need to do this trade, if indeed they would do it.

Gaither >> Any tackle in rd 2-7 in all likelyhood.

A QB can make an offensive line look better than it is. The same can not be said in reverse. The Bills have not had an opportunity like this since Kelly was drafted in the mid 80s. Unless the guy has killed someone or beaten women and children then the Bills should draft Clausen and send the Redskins a gift basket for making the trade for the overrated McNabb.

This statement says it all. Clausen is not a sure thing, but he could be pretty darn good.

Exactly...I posted MONTHS ago that we should be moving to get Gaither from the Ravens, and if we got him for a second round pick, I'd be pleased. This crew hasn't shown the gumption to move on this front, so I imagine that ninny Shanahan may pick him up.

How do you know that they haven't been trying to trade for Gaither? As it turns out, they apparently made a serious run at McNabb only to have him reject the Bills.

A QB can make an offensive line look better than it is. The same can not be said in reverse. The Bills have not had an opportunity like this since Kelly was drafted in the mid 80s. Unless the guy has killed someone or beaten women and children then the Bills should draft Clausen and send the Redskins a gift basket for making the trade for the overrated McNabb.

Could not agree more. The Packers o-line was dreadful last year. Aaron Rodgers threw for 4,434 yards and 30 TDs last year. If Clausen is there, and the they think he's a franchise QB, he MUST be the pick.

Could not agree more. The Packers o-line was dreadful last year. Aaron Rodgers threw for 4,434 yards and 30 TDs last year. If Clausen is there, and the they think he's a franchise QB, he MUST be the pick.

Rodgers rode the bench in Green Bay for 4 seasons. It's not like he did all that as a rookie.

People LOVE to throw out exceptions to the rule to validate their choice for our first round pick. QBs like Aaron Rodgers and Ben Roethlisberger are rare. Guys that can somehow be extremely productive while getting harassed big time. Tell me which QB in this draft is going to be able to get pummeled like Aaron Rogers and Big Ben and I'll say go ahead and draft him.

Being one for applying the hypothetical to the real unfortunately I think we will have to draft Claussen. Not "unfortunate" because he is a bad prospect. I think he is actually better than Bradford and has a stronger arm for our Buffalo windy and snowy weather. "Unfortunate" because it is entirely probable that 4 LTs go before pick #9. Claussen is a better choice than the 5th best LT. If only 3 LTs go before our pick I would strongly consider a LT assuming the right one falls to us.

The speed of the game is so much different. In college you may go against a pro prospect 4 times in a season or have one rusher to max protect against.

In the pros you are going against the best every week and if you do not have a line, well captian check down number two and what good is that.

I don't think Clausen is the save all end all.

So I would draft OT and if top four are gone I go NT or pass rusher and get next best linemen in second round stay put or trading up to late first to get Saffold.

See Option 2 below

The Bills had a Pro Bowl LT, and when they dealt him away (and had a revolving door of street FA's making up the line for most of the season), they finished with teh same results, another mediocre season and a top 10 pick.

So your point is?

I see it as a three-headed argument. I'm not 100% sold on Claussen or Bulaga---both players might have reached their pinnacle---good but not GREAT. The third part of the argument comes later.

If it has to be between the two I take: Bulaga. If he ends up being average that's fine. The Bills cannot afford to have a high pick be a complete bust. The #9 pick MUST CONTRIBUTE right away.

The third part of the argument is if Bulaga isn't there at #9. I believe an OLB like Kindle or Graham trumps Claussen. I'm worried that the Bills have too much of an experiment going on at OLB with Maybin, Kelsay, and the will-he-or-won't-he-retire Aaron Schobel. That position could be the Bills disaster this year. Maybe they can get value at the position in the 2nd round, but look at the contributions the REAL linebackers of last years draft made; Orakpo, Cushing, Clay Matthews, etc.

C.J. Spiller could also be a factor.