Campbell

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Campbell has improved every year in the league and it's not like the Skins have been a steady team. The mcNabb trade was a good one for them and they had to do it. But if Campbell was available cheap (a 5th or so), I'd definitely take a flyer on him.

Unless they are 100% sold on Clausen (and I'm not), I would rather get some quality big guys in a draft loaded with them than take a QB at #9 in one of the worst QBs classes in a long time.

Campbell has improved every year in the league and it's not like the Skins have been a steady team. The mcNabb trade was a good one for them and they had to do it. But if Campbell was available cheap (a 5th or so), I'd definitely take a flyer on him.

Unless they are 100% sold on Clausen (and I'm not), I would rather get some quality big guys in a draft loaded with them than take a QB at #9 in one of the worst QBs classes in a long time.

5th? heck yes! :wallbash:

He has improved so much that Shanny says no way does this guy lead my team. You think Trent`s a dink and dunker wait till you get a look at Campbell. :wallbash:

I feel the same way. I would take Campbell for a 5th in a second and let him come in as the 4th QB and compete for the starting job. Certainly not the long term QB answer, but decent stop-gap while we take the time to straighten the lines out.

He has improved so much that Shanny says no way does this guy lead my team. You think Trent`s a dink and dunker wait till you get a look at Campbell. :wallbash:

I wouldn't necessarily label Campbell as a dink and dunker. He does throw one helluva 30 yard incompletion.

He also is a great fumbler... but calling him a dink and dunker is so one dimensional.

Campbell would be a solid #2 behind McNabb. I think he stays in DC.

I feel the same way. I would take Campbell for a 5th in a second and let him come in as the 4th QB and compete for the starting job. Certainly not the long term QB answer, but decent stop-gap while we take the time to straighten the lines out.

I live in DC. I am forced to see(not watch) Redskins games and coverage. That O-Line was worse than ours with almost just as bad the amount of injuries.

I am not a Campbell fan, I think Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams made his career. Those were his backfield in college anyone can look great with those dudes toting the ball behind you.

But Trading a 2010 4th and a conditional 2011 would not be a horrible idea.

If the Bills know they are passing on Clausen, then you're decision is do you want Pike, LeFevour or some other scrubbier "developmental" QB or Campbell.

It could make sense but I believe Campbell is a restricted free agent and he was only tendered a 1 year deal with 1st and 3rd compensatory picks if another team signs him.

Meaning no way anyone signs Campbell until the redskins rescind the offer. I'm not sure if they can just change the compensatory part and just say "Um, we mean a 4th."

Either way the Bills would have to work a deal with Campbell before finializing the trade. This means a signing bonus atleast a 3 year deal.

So do you want Pike/LeFevour/notherScrub or Campbell for 3 years 12 Million?

I just talked myself out of the Campbell deal.

he's a much better qb than anyone on our roster. fosho

His stats are better than he is. I'd rather have TE who throws three yd passes all game long, but might give you a fighting chance in the final drive, than Jason Campbell who shines when the game is out of reach and sucks when it's on the line.

I live in VA where Redskin talk dominates the airwaves and most Redskin fans wanted Todd Collins to start b/c his stretch when Campbell was injured was the best stretch the Redskins have had during Campbell's time there.

I live in DC. I am forced to see(not watch) Redskins games and coverage. That O-Line was worse than ours with almost just as bad the amount of injuries.

I am not a Campbell fan, I think Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams made his career. Those were his backfield in college anyone can look great with those dudes toting the ball behind you.

But Trading a 2010 4th and a conditional 2011 would not be a horrible idea.

If the Bills know they are passing on Clausen, then you're decision is do you want Pike, LeFevour or some other scrubbier "developmental" QB or Campbell.

It could make sense but I believe Campbell is a restricted free agent and he was only tendered a 1 year deal with 1st and 3rd compensatory picks if another team signs him.

Meaning no way anyone signs Campbell until the redskins rescind the offer. I'm not sure if they can just change the compensatory part and just say "Um, we mean a 4th."

Either way the Bills would have to work a deal with Campbell before finializing the trade. This means a signing bonus atleast a 3 year deal.

So do you want Pike/LeFevour/notherScrub or Campbell for 3 years 12 Million?

I just talked myself out of the Campbell deal.

I'mma have to go notherScrub on this one...Armanti or Skelton...Campbell sucks...I like Edwards over any of them...

It's pretty likely that Campbell will be a UFA by 2011 - he'll likely sign his RFA tender, play out the year on the bench, then go seek his fortune. So it might set him up for minimal trade value, or we could just wait a year and see where we are.

I hope not. I could see us picking him up . Skins will no doubt shop him around. Somebody`s reject to us ? Just say NO. <_<

Campbell's 2009 stats:

Passing Rushing Sacked Fumbles

G QBRat Comp Att Pct Yds Y/G Y/A TD Int Rush Yds Y/G Avg TD Sack YdsL Fum FumL

16 86.4 327 507 64.5 3618 226.1 7.1 20 15 46 236 14.8 5.1 1 43 285 11 3

A lot better than what the Bills have had for the past 3 seasons

ohh god no...! i'd hate that pick up. i dont see why all these fans r so enamored by some other teams trash. why is it everytime a team disgards some one, a bunch of fans wants to sign them. hell i even saw some posts about bulger and who was the other one i saw, ohh ya culpper! r u serious people? r we that desperate? i hope not....lol

His stats are better than he is. I'd rather have TE who throws three yd passes all game long, but might give you a fighting chance in the final drive, than Jason Campbell who shines when the game is out of reach and sucks when it's on the line.

I live in VA where Redskin talk dominates the airwaves and most Redskin fans wanted Todd Collins to start b/c his stretch when Campbell was injured was the best stretch the Redskins have had during Campbell's time there.

I'd take todd collins over any of our Qb's too. Trent sucks. face it.

No. If they don't believe he can do the job for the long term then don't waste the pick it might take to get him. Don't need stop gaps. They already have stop gaps. Need guys with enough physical talent to compete to be the guy. Campbell has more prototypical physical dynamics than any QB on the roster. And toughness. And it would allow the Bills to focus on the lines in the draft as opposed to adding QB to the mix. I'm not saying he's the second coming. I am saying he has some redeeming qualities: young, prototypical size, strong arm, something to prove, toughness that might blossom into more than what he's been under the right circumstances. The right circumstances: a consistent offensive system that plays to his strengths, and an O-line. I believe Gailey can provide the system (he has a good track record with QB's) and Nix will handle the O-line.

I think any of us would have loved to have Campbell's stats behind center last season and those stats were behind a terrible line without a dominant downfield receiving option or a consistent running attack. He had a similar situation to Edwards and Fitz and did better than both of them. He's also improved every year even though he's played under different coordinators and head coaches constantly since being drafted. For a 4th or later or a conditional pick in 2011 as opposed to this April, why not? He knows what the pro games is about; knows how to prepare unlike a draft pick at the QB position. He has a better chance of contributing at the QB position immediately compared to a draft pick. And we know the Bills could use immediate contributions. In a competition I believe he beats out Edwards and Fitz hands down.

Dude, your stats are what you are. He didn't throw for over 3G's and 20 TD's because he has no arm or talent. It's not like he was working with Jerry Rice or the 90's Dallas O-line. He's got potential. He's got an arm, he's tough. And he was in a similar circumstance to Edwards and Fitz and still managed to do better than them.

And I'm from B-Lo, but moved to DC as a kid. I KNOW you aren't sitting here telling us you are going by what Redskins fans say. LoL. Come on, man... They are the most unreasonable fans I have come across anywhere.

I hope not. I could see us picking him up . Skins will no doubt shop him around. Somebody`s reject to us ? Just say NO. <_<

If they give up anything for Campbell they need to be fired before they get started. He is terrible. The only good run the Skins have had since he has been there was when he was hurt and Todd Collins outplayed him by a mile. He is no better than anything already have.

Won't happen. Gailey has been fired enough times to realize that coaching gigs can be fleeting and he'll want to bring in his own guy through the draft to develop this year. He can't afford to wait. I think it's a lock that the Bills trade up into the late 1st, early second to land Colt McCoy or Tim Tebow (most likely Tebow).

He has improved so much that Shanny says no way does this guy lead my team. You think Trent`s a dink and dunker wait till you get a look at Campbell. <_<

Let's see...both Edwards and Campbell are "dink and dunkers" and both played behind bad O-lines...

I doubt it has anything to do with the O-line. They just suck.

Campbell's 2009 stats:

He is the African American version of JP Losman. Stats lie. he fumbles too much, takes horrible sacks, no ability to scramble properly, and a 2 cent brain.

To top it off, Campbell actually has WR's and TE's who know what a hash mark is and how to cross on a pattern.

For me it comes down to how you approach building a team. I want the Bills to use the draft to focus on the lines. I want that to be our draft philosophy. I am a believer that a QB cannot develop behind a bad line and that deficencies in the skill positions can be hidden by strong line play but that strong skill positions cannot hide bad line play (see 2009-2010 Bills). Also I am not a fan of any QB in this draft after Bradford (and im not 100% sold on him). I personally like the idea of trading a 5th, no higher than a 5th, but a 5th for Campbell. I would then let Campbell, Edwards & Fitz battle it out during camp. Competition brings out the best in guys. If Campbell isnt the answer then fine, you look toward the 2011 draft for a QB and by then maybe you have stabalized your line and developed another WR and put that new QB into a situation where he can suceed. If Campbell does suceed than you have found a young QB for a 5th round pick. I personally like Campbell better than Hasselback, Buldger and all the other older beatdown vets. Campbell has something to prove and is still young enough to do it.

Rome wasnt built in a day so get Campbell to add a new body to the QB competition and work on building the foundation of this team before drafting a QB. Please build a team the RIGHT WAY for once.

Campbell's 2009 stats:

And that was behind a terrible OL and no running game, Clinton Porcelain didn't help him either.

I wouldn't necessarily label Campbell as a dink and dunker. He does throw one helluva 30 yard incompletion.

He also is a great fumbler... but calling him a dink and dunker is so one dimensional.

Campbell would be a solid #2 behind McNabb. I think he stays in DC.

I don't see Jason Campbell staying in Washington. It would be too awkward for him. When the Skins picked up Grossman I thought that was a strong hint that Campbell's days were numbered with the Skins.

The next intriquing question for the Skins is what do they do with their first pick. If Detroit takes Okung will the Skins take Bulaga or another LT or will they draft Clausen and use McNabb as the bridge player until Clausen is ready. McNabb is basically on a one year contract.

A bad quarterback, a QB who is not starting material, is a waste at any price, I don't care if its a 7th round pick, its still a waste. If you lose a game because your QB stinks, would it really be of comfort to say, "well at least we only gave up a 5th rounder for him..."? Its not as if Campbell is an unknown quantity. He has had an opportunity to show he could be a productive starter and he hasn't done it. Maybe you think he has some talent that just hasn't come out yet and if so, I could understand taking a gamble on him but I just don't think that is the case.

The point is to get a QB that can win games. As fans, we get a too caught up in assessing personnel based on what is essentially an exercise in economy. Using that criteria, trading a 6th round pick for a 5th round pick always makes sense. Based on that criteria, unloading a CB who is a B level player who is demading a B+ level salary and replacing him with a C level CB who is drawing a D level salary makes sense. You trade a guy asking more than he is worth and start a guy who is playing better than his salary. Brilliant, right? But you lose games. You lose games. And you end up scratching your head because going back over it, all the presonnel moves you made seemed to make perfect sense. You didn't overpay anyone and you got some guys to play over their heads. But even so, you lost a lot of games.

Winning is the goal, not economy. Sometimes those things are related, sometimes they are not.

For me it comes down to how you approach building a team. I want the Bills to use the draft to focus on the lines. I want that to be our draft philosophy. I am a believer that a QB cannot develop behind a bad line and that deficencies in the skill positions can be hidden by strong line play but that strong skill positions cannot hide bad line play (see 2009-2010 Bills). Also I am not a fan of any QB in this draft after Bradford (and im not 100% sold on him). I personally like the idea of trading a 5th, no higher than a 5th, but a 5th for Campbell. I would then let Campbell, Edwards & Fitz battle it out during camp. Competition brings out the best in guys. If Campbell isnt the answer then fine, you look toward the 2011 draft for a QB and by then maybe you have stabalized your line and developed another WR and put that new QB into a situation where he can suceed. If Campbell does suceed than you have found a young QB for a 5th round pick. I personally like Campbell better than Hasselback, Buldger and all the other older beatdown vets. Campbell has something to prove and is still young enough to do it.

Rome wasnt built in a day so get Campbell to add a new body to the QB competition and work on building the foundation of this team before drafting a QB. Please build a team the RIGHT WAY for once.

I think you need both in this league, a good line and a good QB. Sure, every once in a blue a team rises with a caretaker QB but those are exceptions, not the rule. I think it is a lot easier to find a talented lineman overlooked in the draft than a QB. There is a huge amount of focus on QB's, it is pretty tough for a good player to get entirely overlooked. It is also a position that features individual skill. A good QB can shine through even on a bad team. Take Peyton Manning's rookie year. The Colts were terrible that year, just putrid. Even so, it was clear they had their franchise guy.

There are plenty of examples of later round QB's being successful as well but playing the odds, I would rather have to find a decent right tackle in the 6th round or free agency than a franchise QB. Heck, each team in the league had at least 2 starting tackles, that's over 60 guys. Teams are lucky to have even one legit starting QB. We don't have one. How many legit starters at QB are out there, 20, 25?

He has improved so much that Shanny says no way does this guy lead my team. You think Trent`s a dink and dunker wait till you get a look at Campbell. <_<

I would think that Shanahan would keep Campbell as B/U and let him B word if he wants to.

A bad quarterback, a QB who is not starting material, is a waste at any price, I don't care if its a 7th round pick, its still a waste. If you lose a game because your QB stinks, would it really be of comfort to say, "well at least we only gave up a 5th rounder for him..."? Its not as if Campbell is an unknown quantity. He has had an opportunity to show he could be a productive starter and he hasn't done it. Maybe you think he has some talent that just hasn't come out yet and if so, I could understand taking a gamble on him but I just don't think that is the case.

The point is to get a QB that can win games. As fans, we get a too caught up in assessing personnel based on what is essentially an exercise in economy. Using that criteria, trading a 6th round pick for a 5th round pick always makes sense. Based on that criteria, unloading a CB who is a B level player who is demading a B+ level salary and replacing him with a C level CB who is drawing a D level salary makes sense. You trade a guy asking more than he is worth and start a guy who is playing better than his salary. Brilliant, right? But you lose games. You lose games. And you end up scratching your head because going back over it, all the presonnel moves you made seemed to make perfect sense. You didn't overpay anyone and you got some guys to play over their heads. But even so, you lost a lot of games.

Winning is the goal, not economy. Sometimes those things are related, sometimes they are not.

Christ, nice rant. Again, I said it's NOT a long term fix. I don't think Campbell is okay just because he's a 5th round pick, but I also don't think a rookie is the answer for this team. This team needs too much this year, it's not all going to get fixed. But if they can focus on fixing the lines in the first couple rounds and go after their QB next season, I think that's the best answer. IN THE MEAN TIME, what would it hurt to have another guy fighting for the QB job?

I have no idea where this "economy" rant you went on came from. Knowing that it's better to set the lines instead of blowing your picks on a bunch of over-hyped rookies has nothing to do with economy. Either does trying to find the best guy (even if the best means not very good) until you are able to bring in the long term answer.

I like him better than Trent Edwards and especially Ryan Fitzpatrick as a short term solution to keep the seat warm for a young QB. But, giving up anything more than a 6th for a stopgap seems like a bad investment. I'd rather just wait for Marc Bulger to be turned loose from St. Louis after the draft, and then add him to the mix without giving up compensation.

Let me summarize:

1. If you're touting Jason Campbell's stats you're blowing smoke up your own ass. Most of his good stats come in garbage time. When the game is on the line he sucks. If you don't know this you don't know jack about Redskin football and should remain silent and be assumed ignorant rather than speak up and remove all doubt.

2. Some genius mentioned something about no help from Clinton Porcelain. Portis has been one of the most productive backs in the league up until his injury last year which came predictably as a result of carrying too much of the workload. He carried the offense.

3. The most successful stretch the Redskins had over the last 3 years was when Campbell was hurt, with Todd Collins outshining him. Unless you're rushing to sign Collins, please cool it on the Campbell stuff.

NO NO NO NO. It is really sad that Bills fans are even happy that McNabb is in DC so we might get Campbell.

I am more happy that McNabb in is DC because it greatly enhances the chance that one of the two QBs might be available to us in the draft. I would rather have Losman back than Campbell, and I don't want Losman by any stretch of the imagination.