Trusting Chan Gailey

Now I'm not saying the 'Good Ole Boy' connection shouldn't be given a fair chance, because I think they should (besides what real say do we have in the matter). But man when I read extreme homer posts with amazing spin on the facts like this one it makes me shake my head in amazement.

To be fair, Jauron never had a decent QB when he coached the Bears, and he did lead that team to a winning record and win Coach of the Year in his first season.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't expect Gailey to say this team is capable of winning the SB a la Gregg Williams in 2001. But there seems to be a growing movement that as long as any sort of change happens, that it's naturally a good thing. Unfortunately, the power brokers at OBD continue to trot out the same product with different packaging.

If the team has another underwhelming or poor season, it'll be blamed on a new staff, young players, et al. You know, the same things people said after 2006. At some point, being new doesn't equate to being bad and eventually fans need to demand more.

I don't expect Gailey to say this team is capable of winning the SB a la Gregg Williams in 2001. But there seems to be a growing movement that as long as any sort of change happens, that it's naturally a good thing. Unfortunately, the power brokers at OBD continue to trot out the same product with different packaging.

If the team has another underwhelming or poor season, it'll be blamed on a new staff, young players, et al. You know, the same things people said after 2006. At some point, being new doesn't equate to being bad and eventually fans need to demand more.

let's try it another way.

what makes you happy as a long-suffering bills fan with this or any other coachign staff?

is the playoffs a "must have" for you?

do they have to play in the championship game?

do they have to make it to the super bowl?

do they havvae to win it all?

my assumption is that if they cajoled Bill Cowher out of the analyst chair and into OBD, you'd feel they were serious about winning? Shanahan? Gruden?

I guess I'm asking what you wanted them to do so you would be satisfied at this time. I understand your frustration. but it just seems to me you're getting a jump on being dissatisifed and I think a lot of fans don't care to go that route.

Yeah well...Jones also said it was one of his biggest mistakes firing Gailey...also, he's never had a losing season as a HC anywhere either...never missed the playoffs and had a million Bowl appearances at GT...the guy has success everywhere, with sub par players...sub par QB's to be even more exact...I wasn't enthusiastic about Chan when they made the announcement but since I have read tons of material on him and have become a fan...I had my heart set on Cowher, but Gailey actually has a better winning percentage than the chin...sure he doesn't spit as much...and he never won "the big one" but he didn't get 15 years to do it...the chin went through some terrible seasons but the Steelers stayed the course...as they always have done...and have won the most SB's to boot...so...I say Gailey at LEAST deserves a shot considering he's got a decent track record...

Chan > Chin

Gailey's got his shot.

Comparing Gailey's two seasons in Dallas with Cowher's career in Pitts is a meaningless--as is saying "he's never had a losing season anywhere" (how bout the Chiefs?).

As for Georgia Tech--why isn't he still coaching there?

Maybe this will help...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3127998

Gailey fired at Tech after six seasons

Associated Press

ATLANTA -- Chan Gailey never had a losing season in six years at Georgia Tech.

Then again, he never produced the sort of team that really got the fans excited.

Citing business considerations as much as wins and losses, athletic director Dan Radakovich fired Gailey on Monday, two days after his sixth straight loss to rival Georgia ended a season that failed to meet expectations.

The 55-year-old Gailey had lost support among the fan base, which made fundraising more difficult, and he wasn't the sort of dynamic personality who could help the Yellow Jackets make a name in the crowded Atlanta sports scene.

The move was widely expected after Georgia Tech (7-5) came up far short of another run at the Atlantic Coast Conference championship one year after winning its division. Also, Gailey never beat the school's biggest rival, dropping to 0-6 with a 31-17 loss to the Bulldogs on Saturday.

Gailey's overall record was 44-32 in six seasons, and he never lost less than five games in a year. Radakovich said the latest loss to Georgia did not influence his decision; he already had decided to make a change.

"We've been very consistent with wins and losses," said Radakovich, who's in his second year as AD and inherited Gailey from the previous regime. "I want to be able to ratchet that up, take the next step.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Was he the HC at KC? Nope...but if you want to go and add that season as HIS record...then you gotta put in the years at Pittsburgh and the back to back 11-5 seasons with MIA...he's a good coach..period end of story...nobody has stuck with him long enough to see how good he really is...he's had success at numerous levels...and is just kinda that forgotten guy...I think he can get it done...that's all I'm sayin...he hasn't gone all the way...but it took Cowher quite a few years with the same club to do that...so...all I'm sayin is that he has had success...he's real consistent...and he doesn't put together horrible teams...he's definitely a step up from other coaches we've brought in here...so...why bash him already...it's like the Bush attack before attacked kinda thing...hehehehe

CodeMonkey,

"but riddle me this ... if he regretted it so much why did he never hire Gailey back even as a OC if not a HC? This whole paragraph is just so wrong it hurts to read it.

Now I'm not saying the 'Good Ole Boy' connection shouldn't be given a fair chance, because I think they should (besides what real say do we have in the matter). But man when I read extreme homer posts with amazing spin on the facts like this one it makes me shake my head in amazement."

What are you talking about?? Once a HC is fired he's not going to be rehired.....that's extremely rare.....the bridge has been burned.

Coaches get fired........it happens to the best of them.

J. Jones didn't have to make a public statement that he regretted firing Gailey, but he did, which should tell you that it was indeed a mistake. Making it to the playoffs is really all we can ask. Once you get to the playoffs anything can happen......but you have to get there first.

The Bills haven't been tot he playoffs in TEN %%%^#@%*&^% YEARS!!

So getting there would be a HUGE step in the right direction for us.

Riddle me this, who would you have hired as HC???

Warning, warning.....you're being set up!!!!

Dick Vermeil

With a massive assist from a guy named Kurt Warner. He coached three seasons in STL, and in 97 and 98 combined for 9-23 record. He then sees Trent Green go down, Warner becomes the QB, and he wins a SB. Never won a playoff game again after 99 season.

I've read here the admiration for Gailey's words from the recent breakfast for select premium ticket holders. If this were a proven coach talking about things, then fine. Unfortunately (unless you're a homer extraordinaire) everything he said is straight from the coach-speak manual.

Why does Gailey receive the benefit of the doubt? It must be because he's new and the anti-Jauron. But name one HC who went 10 years between top jobs, let alone a guy who has success that far apart? Even if Bills fans are to assume that Nix will find talent, the coach is the person putting that talent into place. And I don't see Gailey doing that, certainly not this season. It's looking like cloudy and about 4-12 this season.

Despite what the team says, they need instant starters at LT, NT, and OLB. For all the credit Gailey received, he's never had the task of rebuilding a team like he will here. It's great he's been a decent OC for 3 NFL seasons since being fired in Dallas, but HC is an exponentially greater challenge. Words don't change that.

Perhaps you should consider buying the product in my avatar. It would probably help your disposition.

Riddle me this, who would you have hired as HC???

Warning, warning.....you're being set up!!!!

Oh. I said many times on here that I feel Gailey was probably the best they could do under the circumstances. If it were me at GM, I would have taken a hard look at Frazier. But I understand Nix wanting a old school guy like himself.

It just astounds me though how people can look at Gaileys history (on many teams - why so many?) and make statements like "proven winner". The only things actually proven are that he interviews well enough to get hired a lot, and that he will probably neither win or lose a lot of games in any one season.

He is our coach and Nix is our GM. I hope they both do fantastic jobs. But people trying to blow smoke up their asses by grossly overstating the facts for whatever reason just ruffles my feathers I guess.

At some point, being new doesn't equate to being bad and eventually fans need to demand more.

What does "demand more" mean? Or is it just a neat sounding little catchphrase to wrap up your post?

Will you purchase this product when Dez Bryant, Arrelious Benn, or any WR is not selected in Round 1?

Apparently i have forgotten all the numerous posts this year where i suggest that the Bills take a WR in round 1.

I suppose i should strive to be more like you and spent every last post bitching about the Bills and how Ralph sucks, Buddy sucks, Chan sucks, etc. I do find it particularly interesting, however, that you ran and hid under whatever rock you came from when the Bills signed Edwards and Davis. It must have taken you 2-3 weeks to come up with new material when you could no longer whine about the Bills not signing free agents.

Don't worry about what Gailey says, just worry about what he does.

He's currently just trying to build up some confidence in the Bills as an organization. What would you expect him to say, "The Bills really suck, they have no chance, and they're not going to win many games in 2010"??

As Bills fans we owe it to Gailey and the new Bills brass to at least give them a chance and to support them. I would say that it is fair to give them three years to try to turn things around. That doesn't mean that the team won't be competitive by year 2 because I think there's a pretty good chance that they will be, even though it may not add up to a lot of wins.

it will be impossible for Gailey & Co. to produce a winning season this year (i.e. at least 9-7) unless the QB and O-line situations are greatly improved at the very least. We probably can't reach 9-7 in 2010 unless we have a viable starting NT and a good starting quartet of LBs as well (since our secondary is expected to be pretty good).

Fixing all of those problems adequately may not be possible in year 1, but it is possible by year 2.

By year 3, the Bills should be well on their way towards being a realistic playoff contender. If they're not, then we'll have some complaining to do.

How the Bills brass ultimately chooses to improve their QB situation will tell me a lot about them and whether they are capable of turning this franchise around.

For my two cents, I believe that Chan Gailey was a very good hire, considering the circumstances. He's a proven winner.

He's a proven NFL OC, which the Bills haven't had in awhile. I really like the fact that he will be calling the plays on Sundays.

People forget that Gailey was a pretty hot commodity at one time, which is right around when the Cowboys hired him as their HC (and regretted firing him after producing a winning record). He was the Bill Cowher of that time. When coaches get fired, for whatever reason, they don't necessarily ever get a chance to be a HC again. Gailey is obviously good enough to garner another chance.

I don't know man , look what the Fins did , They went from a what ? A 1 & 15 team to the playoffs the next year, so any thing is possible with the right coach and some different players & a different attitude :lol: And a little luck !!!

I've read here the admiration for Gailey's words from the recent breakfast for select premium ticket holders. If this were a proven coach talking about things, then fine. Unfortunately (unless you're a homer extraordinaire) everything he said is straight from the coach-speak manual.

Why does Gailey receive the benefit of the doubt? It must be because he's new and the anti-Jauron. But name one HC who went 10 years between top jobs, let alone a guy who has success that far apart? Even if Bills fans are to assume that Nix will find talent, the coach is the person putting that talent into place. And I don't see Gailey doing that, certainly not this season. It's looking like cloudy and about 4-12 this season.

Despite what the team says, they need instant starters at LT, NT, and OLB. For all the credit Gailey received, he's never had the task of rebuilding a team like he will here. It's great he's been a decent OC for 3 NFL seasons since being fired in Dallas, but HC is an exponentially greater challenge. Words don't change that.

Yeah...I've been saying about 5-11 so we're close in our thoughts here...I think a lot of the Bills starters would be backups on any of your better teams if they would be on their squad at all...We have a lot of undersized mediocre players...Maybin

probably was a bad pick last year but we'll see...Pozinjury hasn't been the dominant force we expected....Lynch's big 400 and something yards last year is a joke...and so is his attitude and behavior.....Roscoe Parrish don't want to be hair.....Schobel might as well be retired if he's having such a hard time deciding if he wants to play or not...he's for all intents and purposed already retired!!! Gailey has his work cut out for him....just getting the "right" QB out there will be an accomplishment and finding a few receivers as we only have 2 or 3 on the entire roster and only one is prove...Why did they get rid of Josh Reed??? I think he's coming into his own as a player the past couple of seasons! The switch to 3-4 the first year is usually rough for a team and historically 2 to 5 wins would be about the norm during this transition. This is definitely a team in transition, a lot of player movement, coaching movement, positional movement among returning players like Maybin from DE to LB etc....a lot of holes to fill, they will need time to gel, plug holes, etc....second thought 5 wins may be generous...lol

To be fair, Jauron never had a decent QB when he coached the Bears, and he did lead that team to a winning record and win Coach of the Year in his first season.

Ha ha ha, I remember Haub Arbush or whatever the hell his name is coming on Brad Riters show on Gr and saying Jauron will win a superbowl somewhere, sometime and Riter saying well if Haub said it thats good enough for me! Ha hahahahaha

And I bought some of that same crap with Mularkey, a teeny weeny bit with Williams and it it leads to me having this dejavu feeling with Chan.

I will say that out of all the past clowns I at least have a certain level of confidence with Chan at this point. Not to say he wont lose me and I'll say yet again shame on me and screw you Ralph, again, but at this point I really am on Chans side. Ya I wanted the chin but if you look at it he aint all that. He's a JJ wanna be :(

Gailey's got his shot.

Comparing Gailey's two seasons in Dallas with Cowher's career in Pitts is a meaningless--as is saying "he's never had a losing season anywhere" (how bout the Chiefs?).

As for Georgia Tech--why isn't he still coaching there?

Maybe this will help...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3127998

So which is it WEO? One moment you criticize the press, then the next you post an article as if it were the be all and end all of defining Gailey's stint at GT.

Lets face facts, the Bills hired a less expensive version of Bill Cowher and Mike Shanahan.

He has previous NFL head coaching experience and is clearly someone Buddy Nix feels he can trust.

Only time will tell if he can become a winner in Buffalo, considering his foes in the AFC East he certainly has his work cut out for him.

I'm just happy as hell that the Bills finally hired a head coach with NFL experience and an offensive background, although it took ten years.

The only thing that still really bothers me is that there appears that nobody at OBD, owner / FO that had enough NFL acumen to realize just how inept Dick Jauron was from the start, and did the Bills just hire the offensive version of the same thing?