Trusting Chan Gailey

I've read here the admiration for Gailey's words from the recent breakfast for select premium ticket holders. If this were a proven coach talking about things, then fine. Unfortunately (unless you're a homer extraordinaire) everything he said is straight from the coach-speak manual.

Why does Gailey receive the benefit of the doubt? It must be because he's new and the anti-Jauron. But name one HC who went 10 years between top jobs, let alone a guy who has success that far apart? Even if Bills fans are to assume that Nix will find talent, the coach is the person putting that talent into place. And I don't see Gailey doing that, certainly not this season. It's looking like cloudy and about 4-12 this season.

Despite what the team says, they need instant starters at LT, NT, and OLB. For all the credit Gailey received, he's never had the task of rebuilding a team like he will here. It's great he's been a decent OC for 3 NFL seasons since being fired in Dallas, but HC is an exponentially greater challenge. Words don't change that.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read here the admiration for Gailey's words from the recent breakfast for select premium ticket holders. If this were a proven coach talking about things, then fine. Unfortunately (unless you're a homer extraordinaire) everything he said is straight from the coach-speak manual.

Why does Gailey receive the benefit of the doubt? It must be because he's new and the anti-Jauron. But name one HC who went 10 years between top jobs, let alone a guy who has success that far apart? Even if Bills fans are to assume that Nix will find talent, the coach is the person putting that talent into place. And I don't see Gailey doing that, certainly not this season. It's looking like cloudy and about 4-12 this season.

Despite what the team says, they need instant starters at LT, NT, and OLB. For all the credit Gailey received, he's never had the task of rebuilding a team like he will here. It's great he's been a decent OC for 3 NFL seasons since being fired in Dallas, but HC is an exponentially greater challenge. Words don't change that.

Can't disagree but give him a LT, NT amd OLB and let's see what he can do...... probably in 2011 is where the team will be more competitive.

He's our coach, we have to accept that. And we love our Bills so we have to give him a chance. People are getting on board because we love Buffalo Bills football.

Also, like many others 'round here, I loved his no b.s. attitude about OTAs. He threw out the TVs and said this is a place to work. Sounds like a coach who is serious about winning. He knows we've been bad for a long time and is trying to change the culture of losing. If this is how he runs OTAs, I can't wait to see how he runs Training Camp.

This is a young team, a rebuilding team. But we're off to a good start IMO.

Let's give Coach Gailey the benefit of the doubt and see what he can do.

Yeah well...Jones also said it was one of his biggest mistakes firing Gailey...also, he's never had a losing season as a HC anywhere either...never missed the playoffs and had a million Bowl appearances at GT...the guy has success everywhere, with sub par players...sub par QB's to be even more exact...I wasn't enthusiastic about Chan when they made the announcement but since I have read tons of material on him and have become a fan...I had my heart set on Cowher, but Gailey actually has a better winning percentage than the chin...sure he doesn't spit as much...and he never won "the big one" but he didn't get 15 years to do it...the chin went through some terrible seasons but the Steelers stayed the course...as they always have done...and have won the most SB's to boot...so...I say Gailey at LEAST deserves a shot considering he's got a decent track record...

Chan > Chin

The only thing that will matter is becoming far more competitive in 2010, winning the games that we should win, winning the games that we should not win and just winning. Like it or not, he is our coach and we will have to see what he does.

I guess I trust him because of his track record as o-coordinator, it's lenghty and very good and his short tenure at head coach was good. Basically the only negative was the chiefs stop, but as we saw with Todd Haley they were around 30th on offense and Chan did it with same type of no talent and a no name qb thigpen who they replaced with Cassel.

The guy is as respected as anyone I've ever took the time to look into. All his players are amazed at how football smart he is. We haven't had a guy like that in a long time. That tells me the guy knows his stuff, the bears were going to grab him as o-coor until we hired him. It's not like he's some unknown nobody wanted the guy some would have you believe.

This is a silly post. What could have Gailey said that would have made you feel any differently? The bottom line is you don't like him and the only thing that will change your mind is winning football. The off-season is the worst time to be on TBD.

PTR

This is a silly post. What could have Gailey said that would have made you feel any differently? The bottom line is you don't like him and the only thing that will change your mind is winning football. The off-season is the worst time to be on TBD.

PTR

I dunno Promo.....being on TBD during every game the Bills lost last season and the following day's B word-a-thon was pretty friggin' miserable, too.

FWIW, I'm giving CG the benefit of the doubt. I don't think this team will make the playoffs, but I do think they will be a better coached, better disciplined and better motivated team than the last 4 years. I don't think they will be as gut-wrenching to watch as the last 4 years. At least, I hope not. Play smart, play hard, don't embarrass yourselves, don't give up. Do that and I'm a happier camper.

PTR

/thread

Vet, i think you have to define "benefit of the doubt" before you proceed. i can't find many places where anyone here is predicting playoffs and/or the Super Bowl under glass at city hall next march.

i've often wondered what people are looking for when they throw out expressions like 'coach speak'. what are you looking for the guy to say? he's come in, he's revamping the offense, he's revamping the defense, he's presumably involved in free agency acquisitions, and one would assume he should be expected to show leadership skills. using a military analogy, the guy who leads the charge up the hill to take on a superior and entrenched enemy won't be saying "Jesus Christ, this army sucks from top to bottom and I can't believe you pathetic losers are all I have to work with...".

who are the coaches you respect using non-coaches speak?

how much "credit" has he received? by credit, do you mean cautious optimism? any optimisim?

The fact is that the doubters/promoters are somewhat firmly entrenched for the time being. It really doesn't make much sense (though I'm guilty of it as well from time to time) of arguing about why people are optimistic or pessimistic for the upcoming season. That ship has sailed for now, although the camps may re-form somewhat depending on what happens in the draft.

Look, I'm in the pessimist camp, but there is little use of continuing to blow that horn (and again, that hasn't always stopped me). The fact is, we'll know pretty quickly where Gailey stands as a coach once the preseason and season start. If this team is (again) unorganized, unmotivated, and uncompetitive, we should be able to figure that out pretty quickly, and it will be a strong indictment of Gailey's coaching skills. If, on the other hand, he is able to take what little talent they have and manufacture wins (which, I agree with him, is doable in today's parity-driven NFL), the bandwagon will get crowded real fast.

All of this is a long-winded way of saying, I agree with you - but why don't we sit tight.

Don't worry about what Gailey says, just worry about what he does.

He's currently just trying to build up some confidence in the Bills as an organization. What would you expect him to say, "The Bills really suck, they have no chance, and they're not going to win many games in 2010"??

As Bills fans we owe it to Gailey and the new Bills brass to at least give them a chance and to support them. I would say that it is fair to give them three years to try to turn things around. That doesn't mean that the team won't be competitive by year 2 because I think there's a pretty good chance that they will be, even though it may not add up to a lot of wins.

it will be impossible for Gailey & Co. to produce a winning season this year (i.e. at least 9-7) unless the QB and O-line situations are greatly improved at the very least. We probably can't reach 9-7 in 2010 unless we have a viable starting NT and a good starting quartet of LBs as well (since our secondary is expected to be pretty good).

Fixing all of those problems adequately may not be possible in year 1, but it is possible by year 2.

By year 3, the Bills should be well on their way towards being a realistic playoff contender. If they're not, then we'll have some complaining to do.

How the Bills brass ultimately chooses to improve their QB situation will tell me a lot about them and whether they are capable of turning this franchise around.

For my two cents, I believe that Chan Gailey was a very good hire, considering the circumstances. He's a proven winner.

He's a proven NFL OC, which the Bills haven't had in awhile. I really like the fact that he will be calling the plays on Sundays.

People forget that Gailey was a pretty hot commodity at one time, which is right around when the Cowboys hired him as their HC (and regretted firing him after producing a winning record). He was the Bill Cowher of that time. When coaches get fired, for whatever reason, they don't necessarily ever get a chance to be a HC again. Gailey is obviously good enough to garner another chance.

didn't they hire cowher?

jw

truthfully, i attended the breakfast and was somewhat impressed by Gailey, though it was an easy forum for him. no different than talking to boosters, i'm sure. and some here are right. what did anyone expect him to say?

would a guarantee of a Super Bowl victory next year been it?

sure, he has been 10 years between NFL coaching jobs, but it should be noted he has been a head coach since then. what intrigued me more is that the day the Bills hired Gailey, Jerry Jones called firing him one of his biggest regrets.

having sat down with him once, and heard him speak publicly twice in past two weeks, he comes off as someone who knows what he's doing.

of course, the test comes in 6 months.

As Bills fans we owe it to Gailey and the new Bills brass to at least give them a chance and to support them. I would say that it is fair to give them three years to try to turn things around.

So all Brandon has to do by this logic is hire a new HC every 2-3 years and all is well. Nice.

People forget that Gailey was a pretty hot commodity at one time, which is right around when the Cowboys hired him as their HC (and regretted firing him after producing a winning record). He was the Bill Cowher of that time. When coaches get fired, for whatever reason, they don't necessarily ever get a chance to be a HC again. Gailey is obviously good enough to garner another chance.

Oh my Gawwwwwd not again. The Bill Cowher of that time? Taking a decent team and in the 2nd (and final) year ending up 8-8 and losing both years in the first round of the playoffs. Jones regretted firing him, yes he did say that apparently, but riddle me this ... if he regretted it so much why did he never hire Gailey back even as a OC if not a HC? This whole paragraph is just so wrong it hurts to read it.

Now I'm not saying the 'Good Ole Boy' connection shouldn't be given a fair chance, because I think they should (besides what real say do we have in the matter). But man when I read extreme homer posts with amazing spin on the facts like this one it makes me shake my head in amazement.

truthfully, i attended the breakfast and was somewhat impressed by Gailey, though it was an easy forum for him. no different than talking to boosters, i'm sure. and some here are right. what did anyone expect him to say?

would a guarantee of a Super Bowl victory next year been it?

Now THAT would have been worth the price of admission :lol: