The Claussen Pickle

1B4IDie

Clausen Pickle  

191 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the possibility of the Bills drafting Clausen in the first round?

• Please Please Please he is exactly what the Bills need.
    • The team has alot of needs. Not Psyched but he Could be good one day
    • Please Please Please Don't draft Clausen. OVERRATED

I find it interesting that the sentiment on this Bills Baord has a decent amount of Pro Clausen support.

I live in DC and on the DC sports radio, the majority of the Deadskin sentiment can be summarized "Good God I hope we don't take Clausen; but we love Shanahan so if we do then it will all work out."

Where do you stand?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it interesting that the sentiment on this Bills Baord has a decent amount of Pro Clausen support.

I live in DC and on the DC sports radio, the majority of the Deadskin sentiment can be summarized "Good God I hope we don't take Clausen; but we love Shanahan so if we do then it will all work out."

Where do you stand?

I voted Please Please take him although I'm not sure if he is exactly what the Bills need or not. I think there's about 2% chance he'll be there at 9, but if he is, I'd snatch him up in a New York minute.

My thought is that the Deadskins fans are going to be disappointed within an hour of the draft starting on 4/22.

It's not really a "pickle" unless the situation is at hand. Either way, I say you almost have to take him if he's on the board @ #9. I, for one, think Clausen is going to be a good NFL QB and more than capable of becoming a franchise QB.

I watched him play a couple of games (I have a friend who is a Notre Dame fan) and he looked absolutely like the real deal. As he was leading The Irish on comebacks, I couldn't help but picture how he would look in the red, white, and blue, and if we would be in a position to draft him. If he's there at 9, take him Nix!

I don't like what I've seen from the kid...I'm with Holmgren...you know when you listen to somebody...and you just don't like him?...that's the feeling I get with Clauson...I feel the same way...there is just something about him...he turns my stomach lol...I don't think he's not gifted...I just think he's missing something...

I saw him play against Pitt this year. It was a perfect night for throwing the football. I thought his passes had way too much air under them and he was playing against a beat up Pitt secondary. Golden Tate made him look good by being able to run under some balls, but he didn't impress me. I can't see him throwing in the winds of the Ralph. If he's good, he will be the next Brady Quinn, if not, the next Rick Mierer. Either way, the Bills should pass on him. <_<

I watched him play 10 games this year and there wasn't a moment where I wasn't impressed. The USC game is the one that stands out to me. ND's Oline was way overmatched and he was getting killed. ND's running game was non-existent, Michael Floyd was out and ND's defense just couldn't stop USC. The comeback that he led in that game was all him and he kept hanging in there and making throw after throw. He led ND back and if Kumara doesn't slip out of his cut, he leads an unreal comeback. I am completely sold on the guy.

I watched him play 10 games this year and there wasn't a moment where I wasn't impressed. The USC game is the one that stands out to me. ND's Oline was way overmatched and he was getting killed. ND's running game was non-existent, Michael Floyd was out and ND's defense just couldn't stop USC. The comeback that he led in that game was all him and he kept hanging in there and making throw after throw. He led ND back and if Kumara doesn't slip out of his cut, he leads an unreal comeback. I am completely sold on the guy.

This is pretty much the opinion of anyone who actually watched him play last season. If Clausen had a defense like Florida/Alabama/Texas, they would have been 13-0 without playing a close game.

Then of course you have the idiots claiming he's overrated because they don't like ND or because he looked like a fairy in a picture when he was 17.

Will he be a good pro? Who knows. I personally wouldn't bet the farm on a QB in this draft but instead pick nothing but OL and front 7 in an attempt to rebuild the team. But if they are going to draft a QB, he's the only one I'd want (Bradford will be long gone).

This is pretty much the opinion of anyone who actually watched him play last season. If Clausen had a defense like Florida/Alabama/Texas, they would have been 13-0 without playing a close game.

Then of course you have the idiots claiming he's overrated because they don't like ND or because he looked like a fairy in a picture when he was 17.

The funny thing is I hate ND and I couldn't stand him coming into last season. I watched the ND games because everyone of them were exciting to watch. The amazing thing about Clausen is that in all of the close games that ND was in this year, not one of them ended with a pick that he threw or a fumble that was his fault. He was flawless down the stretch in those games despite his horrible O-Line.

I was impressed at how Claussen was the first ND QB in like 40 years to lose to Navy. Then he did it twice in 3 years

ND lost to Navy; team game. He doesn't play defense or coach. Clausen performed pretty well individually in that game and most games. I'd rather they trade down and pick up another 2nd round pick or trade up and grab Okung, but Clausen isn't as bad as his haters want to make him out to be.

I was impressed at how Claussen was the first ND QB in like 40 years to lose to Navy. Then he did it twice in 3 years

Good point. He threw for 450+yds, 75% comp. and 2 TD's and an INT. The fumble was his fault but he did get killed. The pick that he threw hit Floyd right in the #3 and Floyd admitted fault with that pick saying he ran the wrong play. (4:23 on the video below)

To bad Clausen didn't play LB that day because Navy ran for almost 400yds, but that has nothing to do with it. I'm guessing you didn't watch... <_<

<_< First of all, Clausen didn't even take a snap in the first loss as Sharpley was the starter at that point. And the one time he did lose to Navy? He only threw for 452 yards.

For those who think Clausen is overrated, they need to read this article right here.

It breaks down (throughout Clausen's career) ND's lack of running game, lack of an offensive line, the receiving core being hurt constantly, and how his peers (Matt Leinart, Jamarcus Russel, Matt Stafford, and Mark Sanchez) were considered great QBs even though they had great supporting casts surrounding them.

Great article and Clausen haters should read it.

ND lost to Navy; team game. He doesn't play defense or coach. Clausen performed pretty well individually in that game and most games. I'd rather they trade down and pick up another 2nd round pick or trade up and grab Okung, but Clausen isn't as bad as his haters want to make him out to be.

yeah, let;s sign Ricky Dobbs on the cheap (Navy QB), undrafted, after his 2 yrs service see if he's still got anything.

half-kidding there...

Where do you stand?

I think Jimmy Clausen is not worth a first round pick...I think he is overrated and I really hope the Bills do not take him. I don't think anyone would be thinking anything of him if he didn't play in a pro style offense. He couldn't win at Notre Dame, so why does anyone think he'll win at the Pro Level? Analysts are comparing him to J.P. Losman...if that isn't a red flag I don't know what is

I hope the Bills can get one of the top tackles at 9, if not trade down and get more picks!

I think Jimmy Clausen is not worth a first round pick...I think he is overrated and I really hope the Bills do not take him. I don't think anyone would be thinking anything of him if he didn't play in a pro style offense. He couldn't win at Notre Dame, so why does anyone think he'll win at the Pro Level? Analysts are comparing him to J.P. Losman...if that isn't a red flag I don't know what is

I hope the Bills can get one of the top tackles at 9, if not trade down and get more picks!

Because winning at any level of football depends on the team, not an individual player. Especially at the NCAA level, where winning is basically a function of the talent differential between teams.

But, i guess its Clausen's fault that ND's defense couldn't stop anyone?

Nobody can win with the defense he had at ND, that D couldn't stop anything, put clausen on florida or USC, where he probably should've gone, and he's a multiple time nat'l champ, at the very least he wouldve won several BCS games

I've only seen Claussen play a handful of times, but every time I was impressed. The ball zipped out of his hands and arrived at his receivers in a hurry. He had very good accuracy, and pretty good maneuverability (read: his ol was terrible but he was still able to make plays)

I'd like for you people saying "DONT GET HIM HE'S OVERRATED" to please say why he's overrated:

And "he could never win games LOLLOLOL" isn't acceptable

You know, you are like the 12th person I have seen claining this, and it's what is generally called ... dead wrong.

2007 Notre Dame lost to Navy. Clausen did not play.

2008 Notre Dame beat Navy.

2009 Navy beat Notre Dame with Clausen playing.

So, could you please explain where you are getting your quote facts unquote?

And another thing, QBs don't lose games. It's a team game. Teams lose games. And that is even more true than normal in this case. Anyone who thinks Clausen is to blame for that loss in 2009 when he went 37 for 51 for 452 yards, all when the longest reception was 31 yards .... is just a little bit twisted by Clausen-hatred.

The difference between Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf was not physical skills, it was what they have between their ears. Clausen has never impressed me with his leadership. He may have the physical tools, but he doesn't convey confidence or leadership. My opinion, right or wrong, is he's a Phillips Rivers-type. Rivers puts up numbers at times, but in big games comes up small. A lot of people called Jim Kelly arrogant and cocky, (and he was), but he always backed it up with his toughness and leadership on the field. Marino and Elway were the same way. I don't get that feeling with Clausen, and apparently at least one of his ND teammates agree (see article below).

http://www.nesn.com/2010/03/former-notre-d...neffective.html

I don't think you can ignore stats like 28 touchdowns and only 4 picks. He did not play on a great team and at times seemed to do it single-handedly.

personality- we need someone cocky. Enough with the humble. kelly wasn't humble.

Given what we currently have, if He's there you have to grab him.

For those who think Clausen is overrated, they need to read this article right here.

It breaks down (throughout Clausen's career) ND's lack of running game, lack of an offensive line, the receiving core being hurt constantly, and how his peers (Matt Leinart, Jamarcus Russel, Matt Stafford, and Mark Sanchez) were considered great QBs even though they had great supporting casts surrounding them.

Great article and Clausen haters should read it.

Don't bother with stats. Haters hate regardless of factual proof to the contrary.

The difference between Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf was not physical skills, it was what they have between their ears. Clausen has never impressed me with his leadership. He may have the physical tools, but he doesn't convey confidence or leadership. My opinion, right or wrong, is he's a Phillips Rivers-type. Rivers puts up numbers at times, but in big games comes up small. A lot of people called Jim Kelly arrogant and cocky, (and he was), but he always backed it up with his toughness and leadership on the field. Marino and Elway were the same way. I don't get that feeling with Clausen, and apparently at least one of his ND teammates agree (see article below).

Honest question here. Can you provide any examples of his lack of leadership? I hear claims like this all the time. Things like so and so is a locker room cancer but somehow to the contrary all of his team mates love him. Do you have any realistic examples to lead you to that conclusion or are you just regurgitating what a scant few have said?

Ok, so I've been going back and forth on Clausen for a while. So I sat down and watched him play. He makes some great throws, seems to be able to sense the rush(although it seems sometimes he starts to roll out of the pocket a little premature), and looks fairly accurate.

My concerns with him are: From what I saw he almost always throws to his first option. I also thought he was staring receivers down at times. His receivers were almost always completely open too. While this could be a good thing( Hey, he can find an open receiver!), I also wonder if he will make those tight throws you need to make in the nfl.

In the end, heck if I know. I think if he's there at 9, we have to seriously consider him. Disclaimer: I am a complete newb at watching any form of tape and my opinions are likely worthless.

The guy refuses to name his source? Not uncommon, but it could've been someone like Evan Sharpley who made these comments (relegated to the bench in favor of Clausen) or someone else discontent with the guy for some reason. From everything I've read and seen, all of the players on the STARTING offense loved the guy as a teammate and said that he's a guy you want to lead you down the field.

You think he's a Phillip Rivers "type" and you don't want a QB who would be one of the best in the league? Because that's what Rivers is. Do I personally like Rivers? Not really, but the guy gets it done at a LEGITIMATE Pro Bowl level. For Pete's sake, the guy played against Indy with a torn ACL a couple of years ago trying to get his team to the SB. What more do you want out of a QB? Is that not toughness? We put Kelly on a "high horse" around here, but do people remember the SB stats and how he choked it up on the biggest stage? Remember that it was Reich who led the comeback against Houston, not Kelly.

Overall is Clausen arrogant? Can't say because I've never met him, but the numbers and his on the field performance does not lie. He's gotten better every year in every statistical category, he leads his team down the field in pressure late game situations and gets it done, and he can make every throw that an NFL QB needs to be able to make whether on the run or standing in the pocket. He put up the best numbers of his college career last season having an injured foot, that required surgery at season's end, from the 2nd game on. Not worthy of the #9 pick still I guess? B-)