Jason Campbell to Buffalo rumor

zow2

This trade makes a certain amount of sense. What many people are blind to is that while Whitner never became the star that his draft position pegged him to be, he is a very credible NFL starter who can run, tackle, and cover capably enough for a safety. He'd start for most NFL teams. Re: Campbell, I don't know. So many qbs become better later in their careers. When I watch him, he looks very good mechanically (which one can't really say about guys like Leftwich or Quinn), yet his team doesn't get it done. I'm not sure why. It's probably a mix of him and the team he's on.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See, there you go presenting facts while the rest of us are trying to bash a guy that may possibly end up playing for Buffalo.

I suppose the next thing you're going to do is compare him to a QB that virtually everyone on this board would trade for. Like maybe say that--in spite of all of those challenges (in which you didn't mention the fact that he was playing for a totally overmatched head coach)--he perfromed on par with a guy that just about everyone here would be jumping for joy if Buffalo acquired:

Campbell: 327/507 (64.5%), 31.7 Att/game, 3,618 yds, 7.1 YPA, 20 TD, 15 INT, 86.4 QB rating, 40 completions 20+ yds, 8 completions 40+ yds, 43 sacks

QB2: 339/513 (66.1%), 34.2 Att/game, 3,753 yds, 7.3 YPA, 26 TD, 14 INT, 93.2 QB rating, 42 completions 20+ yds, 3 completions 40+ yds, 24 sacks

Source:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?sea...mp;d-447263-n=1

Anyone got a guess as to QB2's identity? Scroll down for the answer...

Borderline Future HOF QB Kurt Warner

I'm not opposed to obtaining Campbell because I think he's an upgrade, but this icomparison sn't making your point very well. Warner had a significantly better season. Check out the sacks too - a lot of those were on Campbell.

How about our extra 6th?

No. An extra 6th might be Tom Brady. An extra 4th or 5th might be Owen Daniels, Brandon Marshall or Trent Cole.

People have to remember that in a negotiation, the other party wants to make a deal too. You have to be willing to say 'no' and call the other guy's bluff. If you are not willing to walk away from the deal, you will never get the best value. The Bills were not willing to do that in the Peters trade and everyone knew it, and that's why they didn't get more for him.

I'm not opposed to obtaining Campbell because I think he's an upgrade, but this icomparison sn't making your point very well. Warner had a significantly better season. Check out the sacks too - a lot of those were on Campbell.

I don't contend that Campbell had as good a season as Warner, I'm simply saying that the folks bashing Campbell should at least acknowledge that the guy is a capable NFL passer who did significantly more last season than any Buffalo QB in the last 5 years, and did it with--at best--similar talent at the skill positions and OL as Buffalo has had during that time.

I agree he holds the ball too long, but I tend to think that such a thing will happen to a guy when he's been in 6 different offenses in the last 7 years...hard to get comfortable on where the ball should be going and when if you're constantly switching systems.

I also like the way guys like Fred Davis and Devin Thomas started to come around as Campbell progressed last season.

I have to ask since this thread seems divided, Are we getting a pick or giving up a pick? Cause if we are getting Campbell and a pick for Whitner i would have to say yes 6,000,000,000 times!

The Bills would be giving up a pick + Whitner to get Campbell....otherwise, yea it would be a no brainer to make that trade. The added pick makes it not so attractive imo.

what we should be asking is, why whitner? i mean seriously somebody wants to offer up something decent for him? if hte pick is a 6th or 7th, that deal is a no brainer. he's already better then fitz and Trent part 2. he'd make the qb competition better....

still would rather reunite thigpen with Gailey and draft Lefevour

I second that! Thigpen, Brohm, LeFevour

The Bills would be giving up a pick + Whitner to get Campbell....otherwise, yea it would be a no brainer to make that trade. The added pick makes it not so attractive imo.

I was decently for this when i thought we would be getting something, but now not so much...

Listening to a DC radio show this morning, they had a call claiming very reliable "inside information" (lol)....that Campbell will be moved to Buffalo for Whitner and a pick. I've seen plenty of Jason Campbell. The *only* thing he has going for him is arm strength to slice through the wind. That he has. His iffy pocket presence, annoying habit of hanging on to the ball way too long and captain checkdown tendencies are big negatives in DC. I suppose he could be a credible backup QB but i would not be excited at all to get him.

I wouldn't trade an old pair of underwear for Jason Campbell. The whole idea of making a trade is to improve your ballclub. Bringing in Jason Campbell is in no way, shape or form, improving anything.

Jason Campbell has played 2, 16 game complete seasons which immediately puts him ahead of Edwards, has never thrown more INTs than TDs which puts him ahead of Fitz- and has exactly double Brohm's qb rating 86.4 vs 43.2, so unless you know about a franchise QB that Buffalo has stashed away you'd be a moron not to trade Whitner and a low level draft pick for him.

Jason Campbell has played 2, 16 game complete seasons which immediately puts him ahead of Edwards, has never thrown more INTs than TDs which puts him ahead of Fitz- and has exactly double Brohm's qb rating 86.4 vs 43.2, so unless you know about a franchise QB that Buffalo has stashed away you'd be a moron not to trade Whitner and a low level draft pick for him.

Haven't watched enough of Campbell to have an informed opinion on him, but I support going after a veteran QB via player trade (Whitner) and drafting a starting caliber OT with the 1st pick. The Dolphins 2 years ago proved this can be a winning formula. I believe they also switched to a 3-4 defense that year as well.

Haven't watched enough of Campbell to have an informed opinion on him, but I support going after a veteran QB via player trade (Whitner) and drafting a starting caliber OT with the 1st pick. The Dolphins 2 years ago proved this can be a winning formula. I believe they also switched to a 3-4 defense that year as well.

Let me fill you in on Campbell. He was everything we complained about with Edwards and Fitzpatrick. So explain to me why we are trading for him??

PTR

Listening to a DC radio show this morning, they had a call claiming very reliable "inside information" (lol)....that Campbell will be moved to Buffalo for Whitner and a pick. I've seen plenty of Jason Campbell. The *only* thing he has going for him is arm strength to slice through the wind. That he has. His iffy pocket presence, annoying habit of hanging on to the ball way too long and captain checkdown tendencies are big negatives in DC. I suppose he could be a credible backup QB but i would not be excited at all to get him.

Why would we even want to get him to begin with? Haven't we dealt with enough mediocre players long enough?? I don't want to bring in personnel of mediocre talent anymore! (Not implying that you have anything to do with all that)..Just a frustrated fan that believes he could make better personnel decisons than the Bills do! Haven't seen them do one thing I agree with except for letting go of John Guy since firing D. Jauron. I wish they would let Tom Modrak go as well, but unfortuantely I don't think the Bills's (Pardon the Pun) braintrust will do that! So we'll waiver between 4 and 8 wins over the next 5 years!

Here's the obvious:

1. The best teams build through the draft

2. The best teams have ownership that is committed to winning

3. The best teams ensure that they have the best General Managers and Scouting departments, including Coaches, Trainers, etc..

4. The best teams find the best Quarterbacks who are the Generals in the field! They don't settle for has been re-treads who are over the hill (except for Brett Favre). Look at the best of the best..They are normally drafted and stay with that franchise for many years! Joe Montana, Steve Young, Jim Kelly, John Elway, Dan Marino, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Terry Bradshaw, Phil Simms, Rothlisberger, Ken Stabler, Warren Moon, etc...............You don't see your QB's who have IT bouncing around from team to team! You rarely get a QB in FA that amounts to anything!! So picking up Campbell or whomever isn't even worth the effort and to give up something for that right is even more damming to our future when it means surrendering draft picks!

You trade up if you believe a superior franchise QB is available to as high as you need to get that QB!! Surrender what you have to and select the best L OT you can when you pick next and probably pick up the best L OT available in FA as well to better your odds to fill a L OT starting role and protect your QB !!! I don't care if you have to draft 3 QB's and 3 OT's to find the starting QB & OT !! You do it and get rid of all the yuck yuck muck muck mediocre bullcrap that you currently have

at these two positions!! :wallbash:

Guest dog14787
How strange is it that I'd be more happy about getting rid of Whitner in this trade than I am about getting Campbell?

Strange,

I feel the same way, maybe we're on to something here...