Jason Campbell to Buffalo rumor

zow2

Why would we even want to get him to begin with? Haven't we dealt with enough mediocre players long enough?? I don't want to bring in personnel of mediocre talent anymore! (Not implying that you have anything to do with all that)..Just a frustrated fan that believes he could make better personnel decisons than the Bills do! Haven't seen them do one thing I agree with except for letting go of John Guy since firing D. Jauron. I wish they would let Tom Modrak go as well, but unfortuantely I don't think the Bills's (Pardon the Pun) braintrust will do that! So we'll waiver between 4 and 8 wins over the next 5 years!

Here's the obvious:

1. The best teams build through the draft

2. The best teams have ownership that is committed to winning

3. The best teams ensure that they have the best General Managers and Scouting departments, including Coaches, Trainers, etc..

4. The best teams find the best Quarterbacks who are the Generals in the field! They don't settle for has been re-treads who are over the hill (except for Brett Favre). Look at the best of the best..They are normally drafted and stay with that franchise for many years! Joe Montana, Steve Young, Jim Kelly, John Elway, Dan Marino, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Terry Bradshaw, Phil Simms, Rothlisberger, Ken Stabler, Warren Moon, etc...............You don't see your QB's who have IT bouncing around from team to team! You rarely get a QB in FA that amounts to anything!! So picking up Campbell or whomever isn't even worth the effort and to give up something for that right is even more damming to our future when it means surrendering draft picks!

You trade up if you believe a superior franchise QB is available to as high as you need to get that QB!! Surrender what you have to and select the best L OT you can when you pick next and probably pick up the best L OT available in FA as well to better your odds to fill a L OT starting role and protect your QB !!! I don't care if you have to draft 3 QB's and 3 OT's to find the starting QB & OT !! You do it and get rid of all the yuck yuck muck muck mediocre bullcrap that you currently have

at these two positions!! :D

Maybe the "superior franchise QB" isnt around in this draft. Did you ever think of that? To give up multiple picks to trade up for complete unknowns in the draft is just as silly. Bandit showed proof that Campbell produced more yards and TD's this past season than any Bills QB since weve had Blesdoe. He arguably had just as bad as a team and OL that the beloved Trance Checkwards and JP Loserman had but we give them excuses out the a-hole. The fact is there is not much better out there in FA or available for trade first of all, second fact is any FA available would have to be interested in coming here when the rest of the team is so horrible.

And to almost all the names you listed above, most of them played in a completely different time/era of football. You cannot compare Bradshaw, Kelly, Marino to athletes of today. Back then there wasnt a real free agency period or a salary cap. And any fool knows that the Pats and Colts could never get rid of Payton Manning or Tom Brady. They are bigger than the organization. It would be fan base suicide if you traded or cut either of them. Rothlisberger recently got a huge contract but I would expect he wont be a Steeler for ever. And if he is its justifiably so. The guy has won 2 super bowls already and hes not even in his 30's. Your ignorance of comparing the history of the NFL vs todays NFL makes me want to punch a baby in the face. Please log off your computer punch yourself.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to a DC radio show this morning, they had a call claiming very reliable "inside information" (lol)....that Campbell will be moved to Buffalo for Whitner and a pick. I've seen plenty of Jason Campbell. The *only* thing he has going for him is arm strength to slice through the wind. That he has. His iffy pocket presence, annoying habit of hanging on to the ball way too long and captain checkdown tendencies are big negatives in DC. I suppose he could be a credible backup QB but i would not be excited at all to get him.

I have too. He's got a big arm. He is also tough and durable. He got abused all season and he always got up and came back for more. If he could get good coaching I think he could be something good. If your WR's don't get open you would hold onto the rock as well. Moss gets taken out of many games because he was the best WR they have. Thomas and Kelly didn't start coming on until late in the year. Then the Skins had OLine problems like the Bills.

Campbell is better than Fitz or Trent as far as I'm concerned just based on his superior arm strength and his toughness. Trent is not durable and Fitz is not as strong armed.

what we should be asking is, why whitner? i mean seriously somebody wants to offer up something decent for him? if hte pick is a 6th or 7th, that deal is a no brainer. he's already better then fitz and Trent part 2. he'd make the qb competition better....

still would rather reunite thigpen with Gailey and draft Lefevour

Campbell is no good, but I understand why a new coach would be interested in him. He is not known for winning, but he is known for his poise. Not sure how that makes sense, but its seems to be common NFL thought.

As for Thigpen, why is anyone interested in him? He is like a slightly upgraded version of Ryan Fitzpatrick. In fact, he might be a hybrid of Edwards and Fitzpatrick, but w/o any upside.

If the options are Jason Campbell or Thigpen, I'd rather see what our current trio can do. I have no interest in actually giving something up to acquire Campbell. Just wait until he is released.

If he's sooo good, why does the team that knows him best want to get rid of him? :D

Because they have incompetent leadership that starts in the owner's box. He damaged Campbell

with his constant coaching changes and the rest of the team as well. Now there is new "leadership"

in town, if Snyder allows it to work, and they might or might not want to go forward with Campbell.

Snyder has burned his bridges with Campbell.

As someone that's likely seen much more of him than I have, I respect your opinion, but the facts tell a slightly different story. While I'd like to be able to confirm what you're saying about his yardage distribution by quarter, I don't have a reference to look it up. The best I can do is look at his TD pass distribution by quarter:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play...hdowns/passing/

Checking out his 2009 #s, he only threw 4 of his 20 TD passes in the 4th quarter, and all but one of them brough the 'skins to within a TD of the lead. Same situation for his 3rd quarter TD passes--only 2 of his 6 3rd quarter TD passes came with his team down by more than 14 points, and one of those 2 brought Washington to within a TD of the lead.

The facts also don't support your assertion that he has bad accuracy, as his completion percentage ranked 10th in the NFL. It's also important--when considering his completion percentage--to understand that his YPA (7.1) ranked 15th (ahead of guys like Cutler, Palmer, Ryan), so as not to confuse his high completion percentage with a guy that strictly dumps the ball off to RBs.

He also threw the same # of interceptions as NFL passing leader Matt Schaub and threw 1 INT fewer than Peyton Manning. I understand that fumbles might be an issue (fumbled 13 times), and I haven't watched him closely enough to say whether or not it's an issue of ball security, so perhaps you could give me some feedback on that?

So, all in all, in regards to the intangibles you mention (pocket awareness, football intelligence, etc.), I'll have to submit to your opinion, but as far as the measurables go, I'm afraid I'll have to respectfully disagree.

I respect your fact finding. Maybe I can provide some insight.

The 4th quarter touchdowns were against teams like KC, Detroit, Carolina, Tampa Bay, St Louis. All of these teams were winless when the skins plated them and the skins defense played very good games. He practically single handedly gave KC, Detroit and Carolina there first wins. To his defense he played great against the Saints.

When you see open receivers downfield waving there hands and they are wide open he checks down. The checkdown is great for completion percentage. I would be interested to see how many passes are completed to wide receivers...he is good at hitting his TE's but many times thats the only person he can complete a pass to down field.

I believe the Redskins defense finished top 10 this year but they could only win 4 games.

Keep in mind under Campbell the Redskins went 2 years with out scoring more than 30 points in a game.

Most importantly, what is Campbell win loss record because that tells the real story.

One of the many excuses is that he has played under various systems so this has staggered his learning.

Maybe so but Todd Collins has no problem picking up the systems much quicker. Collins is the better QB but will never start because he was not the first rounder. When Campbell was hurt Collins started the final 4 games of the 2008 season and won every game taking them to the playoffs.

I think Campbell is a very likable guy but he is a scrub at best.

If he was so good why were the Skins trying to acquire Sanchez last year and why are they trying to trade him this year.

Living in Skins country I have had more than my fair share of opportunities to watch them under Campbell. I am not impressed. I would not give anything up for him. The Bills would be better off making do with what they have if they are unable or unprepared this year to go after a true franchise QB this year. Campbell is just the same dog we already have, with different fleas.

Edwards is a better QB than Campbell. The Bills should go after a Bruce Gratkowski or a Derek Anderson instead.

So you honestly can tell me that those two guys are better than Campbell who threw for almost 4000 yards and had a 85+ Qb rating on a terrible offense??? Wow I'm sorry people but I really don't understand all the hate for Campbell... I'd make a trade for him in a second

So you honestly can tell me that those two guys are better than Campbell who threw for almost 4000 yards and had a 85+ Qb rating on a terrible offense??? Wow I'm sorry people but I really don't understand all the hate for Campbell... I'd make a trade for him in a second

People say Jay Cutler has great stats... What's he doing? Looking for a job as the #1 QB after Da Bears had a miserable year.

As someone that's likely seen much more of him than I have, I respect your opinion, but the facts tell a slightly different story. While I'd like to be able to confirm what you're saying about his yardage distribution by quarter, I don't have a reference to look it up. The best I can do is look at his TD pass distribution by quarter:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play...hdowns/passing/

Checking out his 2009 #s, he only threw 4 of his 20 TD passes in the 4th quarter, and all but one of them brough the 'skins to within a TD of the lead. Same situation for his 3rd quarter TD passes--only 2 of his 6 3rd quarter TD passes came with his team down by more than 14 points, and one of those 2 brought Washington to within a TD of the lead.

The facts also don't support your assertion that he has bad accuracy, as his completion percentage ranked 10th in the NFL. It's also important--when considering his completion percentage--to understand that his YPA (7.1) ranked 15th (ahead of guys like Cutler, Palmer, Ryan), so as not to confuse his high completion percentage with a guy that strictly dumps the ball off to RBs.

He also threw the same # of interceptions as NFL passing leader Matt Schaub and threw 1 INT fewer than Peyton Manning. I understand that fumbles might be an issue (fumbled 13 times), and I haven't watched him closely enough to say whether or not it's an issue of ball security, so perhaps you could give me some feedback on that?

So, all in all, in regards to the intangibles you mention (pocket awareness, football intelligence, etc.), I'll have to submit to your opinion, but as far as the measurables go, I'm afraid I'll have to respectfully disagree.

We have crossed paths over other issues but you are spot on with the numbers and conclusions here. Haters are going to hate no matter what the facts. Some will even hate the guy not because of who he is but who he isn't. Their savior QB of the day that they emotionally tied themselves to.

I respect your fact finding. Maybe I can provide some insight.

The 4th quarter touchdowns were against teams like KC, Detroit, Carolina, Tampa Bay, St Louis. All of these teams were winless when the skins plated them and the skins defense played very good games. He practically single handedly gave KC, Detroit and Carolina there first wins. To his defense he played great against the Saints.

When you see open receivers downfield waving there hands and they are wide open he checks down. The checkdown is great for completion percentage. I would be interested to see how many passes are completed to wide receivers...he is good at hitting his TE's but many times thats the only person he can complete a pass to down field.

I believe the Redskins defense finished top 10 this year but they could only win 4 games.

Keep in mind under Campbell the Redskins went 2 years with out scoring more than 30 points in a game.

Most importantly, what is Campbell win loss record because that tells the real story.

One of the many excuses is that he has played under various systems so this has staggered his learning.

Maybe so but Todd Collins has no problem picking up the systems much quicker. Collins is the better QB but will never start because he was not the first rounder. When Campbell was hurt Collins started the final 4 games of the 2008 season and won every game taking them to the playoffs.

I think Campbell is a very likable guy but he is a scrub at best.

If he was so good why were the Skins trying to acquire Sanchez last year and why are they trying to trade him this year.

You bring up some good points...the kind of stuff you'd have to see him play often to notice (checkdowns, lack of downfield targets, etc.).

The only thing I can respond to with any level of confidence is that 170 of Campbell's 327 completions (~ 52%) went to his top 4 WRs, versus 87 completions (~ 27%) that went to his top 2 TEs.

For TDs, the distribution is much different, as 6 of Campbell's 20 TDs went to his top 4 receivers, while another 6 went to his top 2 TEs.

As for his downfield numbers, in 2009, he completed passes of 59, 44, and 84 yards to Santan Moss, Antwaan Randle El, and Malcolm Kelley, respectively. No TE on the roster caught a ball for more than 29 yards. So perhaps his penchant for targeting TEs down the field more often seems more excessive than it actually is. I also don't necessarily think that it's a bad thing that he targets his TEs, as often the good QBs do when they have a great TE (as Cooley is and Davis looks to be). Look at guys like P. Manning, Romo, McNabb; those guys have great TEs and they target them all the time (sometimes too often).

Anyway, I see your points regarding Campbell. I'm not necessarily saying that I think he'd be the long-term solution at QB, but if he's burning a hole in Washington's roster and we could get him cheap, I'd be fine with him starting until a draft pick were ready to take over; because no matter what we do in trades/free agency, I believe this teams needs to draft a QB.

I bolded and underlined part of your statement-u do realize you just described the Bills, right?

If you have read anything I have written about this embarrassing organization you would know that I'm very aware of the cartoonish way this franchise is run. But now we have a GM whose forte is scouting as opposed to marketing. By bringing in a legitimate franchise qb the front office can dedicate themselves to addressing critical needs such as the OL. As I have said on multiple occasions the rebuilding process is going to take a few years. There is no quick fix for a team which is a border-line expansion team.

Sometimes, teams get lucky and players who were not expected to make the leap do so. How many people thought that Fred Jackson would dramatically outplay Lynch? Who knows if Brohm or even Trent Edwards might surprise the majority of skeptics. Who knows, maybe some of the offensive linemen brought in from the other teams' practice squads quickly develop and show that they can handle a starting position. Is Demetrius Bell capable of playing adequately without jumping offsides whenever a fan loudly farts? If not probable, at least there is a possibility.

It doesn't matter who the qb is unless the line is upgraded to the point that it can perform at a decent level. If the Bills can get the line adequately staffed, even with very inexperienced players, then at the minimum, a critical and persistent issue is finally resolved, allowing the front office to address the other multiple needs.

Living in Skins country I have had more than my fair share of opportunities to watch them under Campbell. I am not impressed. I would not give anything up for him. The Bills would be better off making do with what they have if they are unable or unprepared this year to go after a true franchise QB this year. Campbell is just the same dog we already have, with different fleas.

This is my take too. I don't live in Skins country, but have seen him on TV many times. Seems to be another Trent. I'd just as soon stay with Fitz as go with Campbell. I wouldn't give up any draft picks for him. None.

Trent Edwards is not a bad QB when healthy. His arm is better than people in Buffalo make it out to be. He has had trouble reading defenses the past season and a half because of the worst OL the NFL has seen in a decade and because he was rushed back from an injury.

He has been given a mediocre group of weapons to use during his development and an unreliable defense that can't keep points off the board consistently. This is no way to develop an NFL quarterback.

I would be fine with him, Campbell or Fitzpatrick.

Frankly, this talk of who will be the QB next year really is boring. It mostly comes from the people who think Colin Cowherd is insightful and that Howard Simon knows sports. QB isn't our biggest worry, its not even close.

Trent Edwards is not a bad QB when healthy. His arm is better than people in Buffalo make it out to be. He has had trouble reading defenses the past season and a half because of the worst OL the NFL has seen in a decade and because he was rushed back from an injury.

He has been given a mediocre group of weapons to use during his development and an unreliable defense that can't keep points off the board consistently. This is no way to develop an NFL quarterback.

I would be fine with him, Campbell or Fitzpatrick.

Frankly, this talk of who will be the QB next year really is boring. It mostly comes from the people who think Colin Cowherd is insightful and that Howard Simon knows sports. QB isn't our biggest worry, its not even close.

No, Trent Edwards isn't any good, even when healthy. Spare me the "concussion" bullcrap. The guy is a nancy who checks down and has issues throwing a deep ball (not arm strength, but the way he throws the deep ball) He wasn't any good even before his concussion, as he "won" 4 games against 4 of the worst teams in the league. He also has a loser, defeated attitude and is the QB version of Dick Jauron.

The sooner he's gone, the better.

Anyway, I see your points regarding Campbell. I'm not necessarily saying that I think he'd be the long-term solution at QB, but if he's burning a hole in Washington's roster and we could get him cheap, I'd be fine with him starting until a draft pick were ready to take over; because no matter what we do in trades/free agency, I believe this teams needs to draft a QB.

My point exactly Bandit. I completely agree with this. You of all people should know from all the arguing we did last year about our OL and QB that I was in favor of keeping what we had to see how it worked out. You were right and I was wrong on that. I thought they COULD be better then they were. My crow tastes better with hot sauce by the way. We need an upgrade at QB and Campbell, no matter how small, would be an upgrade. We know what we have on the roster now and it wont work moving forward. Whitner is burning a hole in our roster as much as Campbell is with the Skins. An even swap sounds good to me. Just saying. I cant believe anyone would say stick with Trent or Fitz over anything new. Its rediculous to me. Anyway, Good posts today.

No, Trent Edwards isn't any good, even when healthy. Spare me the "concussion" bullcrap. The guy is a nancy who checks down and has issues throwing a deep ball (not arm strength, but the way he throws the deep ball) He wasn't any good even before his concussion, as he "won" 4 games against 4 of the worst teams in the league. He also has a loser, defeated attitude and is the QB version of Dick Jauron.

The sooner he's gone, the better.

You have a developing QB with no protection and a load of garbage to throw the ball to- and alligator arms Owens WAS garbage. I like the fact that he is smart enough to check down in that situation instead of throwing the ball up for grabs.

And you can blame Jauron all you want.....he was given garbage to work with by one of the most dysfunctional front offices I have ever seen.

The Bills over the last decade have one of the most mismanaged franchises in the league. They could put a cone at QB for all I care- fix both lines and let the fans talk on the radio, cause that's what they do.

TO, Lee Evans, Fred Jackson, Marshawn Lynch. I'd argue that all of those are top notch weapons.

As far as the defense, they were 16th in the league in points given up. Not great, but not horrible by any means. In 10 games in 2009 they gave up 20 points or less. In 12 games the offense scored less than 20. The defense is not responsible for the offense's ineptitude.