Shanahan opts to retain ST coach (Danny Smith)

The 'Skins fired Zorn, but selectively retained coaches who were still under contract. Shanahan came in and elected to keep their ST coach, Danny Smith.

The Bills, by contrast, for reasons known only to them, allowed all of their coaches under contract to walk, including Kugler and April, two very well-respected coaches. So the new coach (assuming they're able to convince some schlub to take the job) doesn't even have the option of retaining them.

Someone explain that to me, please. Seems to me like a complete botch-job.

The 'Skins fired Zorn, but selectively retained coaches who were still under contract. Shanahan came in and elected to keep their ST coach, Danny Smith.

The Bills, by contrast, for reasons known only to them, allowed all of their coaches under contract to walk, including Kugler and April, two very well-respected coaches. So the new coach (assuming they're able to convince some schlub to take the job) doesn't even have the option of retaining them.

April wasnt fired, he opted out of his contract.

The rest, a professional courtesy. If a new coach was to be in within the week, they likely would let him make the choices. In the mean time they are allowing people to interview. No one has been fired. Should they hold kugler until all other o-line jobs are filled, and then can him, so he does not have an opportunity to work next year? that would make coaches even more hesitant to come to buffalo.

I would argue they screwed it up.

The firing of the entire team using that strange language like 'You are free to pursue other opportunities" was more of a way to show the fans that the Bills were cleaning house than it was a practical decision. It was also out of fairness to the coaches, who it was assumed would be out of jobs.

Essentially, its the problem with the plan of action the Bills developed. Aka, taking a LONG time to find a coach. I can't imagine many coaches would have wanted Alex Van Pelt as OC, and Fewell was going to be out regardless (unless he was hired as HC). But, Kugler and April are very strong. I imagine the new HC would at least give each of them a fair look.

You can't fault the Bills for that. Releasing the rest of the coaching from their contracts was the right thing and the professional thing to do.

The alternative would have been holding the coaches till a new one is signed. And then what happens if that new coach does not want some of those coaches? Then they would be up the creek since they lost the chance to go pursue other jobs earlier.

I would argue they screwed it up.

The firing of the entire team using that strange language like 'You are free to pursue other opportunities" was more of a way to show the fans that the Bills were cleaning house than it was a practical decision. It was also out of fairness to the coaches, who it was assumed would be out of jobs.

Essentially, its the problem with the plan of action the Bills developed. Aka, taking a LONG time to find a coach. I can't imagine many coaches would have wanted Alex Van Pelt as OC, and Fewell was going to be out regardless (unless he was hired as HC). But, Kugler and April are very strong. I imagine the new HC would at least give each of them a fair look.

April had the contractual option to leave. The bills could not have made him stay and wait for the new HC.

I have been saying this since they let them walk. When the dust settles, in all liklihood, the staff next year will be worse than that we had this year, save perhaps for th ehead coach....

From what I understood, April had an "opt out" clause in his contract and exercised that option. April left the Bills, he did not get fired or released.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=capr...s&type=lgns

That is incorrect. The Bills ALLOWED him to opt out of his contract. They absolutely could've forced him to stay, however awkward that may have been.

I would never want a coach that would rather leave. There's no way he could give 100% dedication to the job.

That is incorrect. The Bills ALLOWED him to opt out of his contract. They absolutely could've forced him to stay, however awkward that may have been.

No April had a clause put into his contract that allowed him to opt out after DJ was in hot water fallowing last season and once he was snubbed to be the interm coach he didnt wanna be here...

But dont let facts get in the way

No, Apirl had a clause that allowed HIM to Opt out. The Bills had no say. The rest of them, yes the Bill's allowed to look elsewhere. Actually they also allowed Apirl to look elsewhere, till three days later he elected to opt out.

Reasons why the Bills did the right thing by allowing all their coaches to leave:

1) To convince the new head coach that he was free to hire his own staff. In years past, the Bills have retained Chuck Lester, Bobby April, Jim McNally, and others suggesting to the new coach that they be hired on the new staff. This could possibly send the message to the new head coach that: they are cheap and would prefer to fill some positions from within, and also could make possible new head coaching candidates leary that there is a "spy" in the room. This is the same paranoia that presently permeates the Oakland Raiders, who have insisted to new hires that certain coaches be retained. The Bills are a less attractive organization to coaches who want to hire their own people, with established trust, loyalty, and track record to the new coach.

2) To be fair to last year's staff in terms of giving them greater opportunity to land new jobs. Shoddy treatment of old staffers is a good way to continue the impression that the Bills are a bush league organization.

Reasons why the Bills did the wrong thing by allowing their coaches to leave:

1) The possibility of letting good football coaches, who might have been attractive to the new coach, leave the organization.

Whatever course the Bills had taken, there would be an upside and a downside.

Whatever course the Bills had taken, there would have been critics on this board.