Bills press conference @2:30-Nix confirmed as new GM

zdro22

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills interviewed John Guy and Tom Modrak for the GM position?!?!?! What the ?!?!

Way to go through with the thorough process and evalaution for the position OBD.

Why oh why do we have to put up with this garbage?!?! They better develop a kick a$$ coaching staff (ahem, *cough* Cowher *cough*) or else this is going to be the best definition of EPIC FAIL we have ever seen.

Yawn. From Wikipedia:

Nix is considered by some to be one of the top 5 talent evaluators in the NFL. The Chargers have won 4 out of the last 5 AFC West Titles with Nix as Assistant GM and Director of Player Personnel, in charge of college scouting and instrumental to the decision making process of their NFL drafts.

Sounds like the perfect choice to me. He knows this team, and has the know-how to fix it. We could do worse than turn out like the Chargers.

But, of course, he's not a "big name" so go ahead and hate it.

Well, I guess that begs the question: What is that reason? My suspicion is that his biggest liability is age, and to be honest, I really couldn't care less about that. I'd rather have a good talent evaluator for the next five years than a bad one for the next ten.

Nix might well be the best man for the job. But, it's not like the Bills actually did due diligence to find out, is it? They gave token interviews to Guy and Modrak, who have been onboard for a decade of futility. The reality is that there was one "promote from within" candidate that wasn't around this last decade and wasn't brought in by Donahoe and he, surprise surprise, gets the GM-ship.

That's Ralph's definition of "big changes" and pulling out all the stops to get it right this time. It's just too much to ask for that the Bills actually walk outside the building to look for something new.

past track record with Wilson/Brandon at the helm.

Another old man. The other interviewees were also internal guys who have had a huge hand in this predicament. Almost shows the only intent is to reorganize the chairs on the Titanic

I'm hoping Sully brings this up at the press conference and calls Brandon on it

I don't understand why everyone hates this move. He was with us 1 year and we already had our best draft of the decade. So what if he was an in-house promotion. He isn't responsible 1 bit for the current state of **** we are in.

It seems that some just want to fire everyone just for the sake of firing everyone.

Myself, I think its a good move, perhaps even a very good one. He has an excellent track record of player evaluation and while it would have been nice to find someone younger, I'd much rather they hire someone who knows what they're doing and I'm pretty sure that Nix does.

The only complaint I have is that they interviewed John Guy. I understand that it was likely due to the Rooney rule, but good grief, their pro talent evaluation has been awful this decade. He should be the first one out the door.

The only good thing about this move is that Nix is now above all the others in making football decisions (Guy, modrack, Brandon). If this guy hires/fires some scouts and gives the personell below him a boost, that would be nice. But right now, this is just a minor upgrade that isn't too exciting. but time will tell.

Who is doing the interviewing first and foremost???

John "Dockery and Walker are awesome" Guy was interviewed....I can only hope it was a courtesy interview otherwise there is insanity still brewing deep inside One Bills Drive.

The Bills interviewed John Guy and Tom Modrak for the GM position?!?!?! What the ?!?!

Way to go through with the thorough process and evalaution for the position OBD.

Why oh why do we have to put up with this garbage?!?! They better develop a kick a$$ coaching staff (ahem, *cough* Cowher *cough*) or else this is going to be the best definition of EPIC FAIL we have ever seen.

Here is the Channel 4 information for reference... :bag:

Buffalo Bills to name new G.M.

Updated: Thursday, 31 Dec 2009, 1:19 PM EST

Published : Thursday, 31 Dec 2009, 12:47 PM EST

John Murphy

Posted by: Emily Lenihan

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (WIVB) - Buffalo Bills have called a 2:30 p.m. news conference Thursday to announce the appointment of a new general manager.

Sources tell News 4 Sports that Buddy Nix will be named the team's new general manager.

Nix has served as the Bills national scout for the past season. He rejoined the Bills this past January, after spending several years as a football personnel executive with the San Diego Chargers.

Sources tell News 4 sports, the Bills interviewed two other in-house candidates for the job, Tom Modrak and John Guy, and settled on Nix as the GM.

The announcement is expected to be made official at 2:30.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/Buffalo-Bil...ress-conference

Well since the season wasn't over they can't interview people with other teams, so that leaves your own people or the unemployed. Could one reason be they want to get a HC now...say Bill Cowher?

PTR

Who is doing the interviewing first and foremost???

John "Dockery and Walker are awesome" Guy was interviewed....I can only hope it was a courtesy interview otherwise there is insanity still brewing deep inside One Bills Drive.

Rooney rule. Calm down.

PTR

Before we all go nuts here, let's throw some perspective into the mix:

Wind the clock back one calendar year...if on December 31st, 2008, the Bills called a press conference to announce that they were naming Chargers' Director of College Scouting/Assistant GM Buddy Nix, a guy that worked hand-in-hand with both John Butler and A.J. Smith in Buffalo and San Diego, as the new General Manager, how would you feel?

I know I'd be okay with it, what about you guys?

Depends. Would his first act have been to announce that the Bills were hiring a new head coach for the 2009 season? If so, he would have been off to a good start.

Let's see what he does now.

Wow - did you even LOOK at the first page of threads?

P.S. - someone could share Nix's wikipedia info here as well.

I did, thank you. But, the focal point of my post is that they interviewed Guy and Modrak, which is absurd to me and probably the 3,485,829 Bills fans. I mean, seriously?!?!?

I'm not saying Nix won't do well, but is that the definition of due diligence?!?! I'm no NFL consultant, but i would imagine that there are several other OUTSIDE candidates that would merit an interview at the very least.

None of us know whether they did interview outsiders, but this reeks of silliness.

it sounds like we had a very good, maybe great college scout/director. Doesnt mean he will be a good GM. GM wasnt a good position for Marv and he was a good, maybe great head coach. It would be nice to have a good GM come in from the outside and allow Nix to focus on what he has been doing best for a long time

The Bills could not go outside for a GM candidate until the end of the season. So if they they wanted to get started on a HC search early, having a GM in place makes sense. You could argue that if they are pursuing Cowher and wanted to get the front office structure in place first.

PTR

The Bills could not go outside for a GM candidate until the end of the season. So if they they wanted to get started on a HC search early, having a GM in place makes sense. You could argue that if they are pursuing Cowher and wanted to get the front office structure in place first.

PTR

I'm OK with Nix, but your logic is BS. There are quality GM's sitting out there now. Also, the Browns did it, so why not the Bills again?

It's odd to me that there have been an insane amount of people bashing the hell out of Guy and Modrak, and rightfully so, yet we are about to sign a guy to replace them who has been a key cog in building one of the most successful franchises of the past decade, and there seems to be a ton of dissent. Typical, I guess.

I'm all for this move. As much as I think he's a prick, AJ Smith is one of the best GM's in the NFL, and Nix has worked with him for several years. John Butler wasn't too bad himself, either. Now let's find a real head coach for once.