Bills press conference @2:30-Nix confirmed as new GM

zdro22

i don't like it, but i'm not going to crucify the guy until i see who he hires...but did anyone else think he sounded like jauron with a southern accent?

we need luck? we're close? 2 or 3 plays? that it utter bull ****. who does he think is watching these press conferences? no one believes that ****.

Agree. Parity in the NFL? I don't see it except among the middle 1/3 of the teams or so and many games are not close to within 2-3 plays unless all of those are scores. Bills are at least 7 starters (difference makers) and a bunch of coaches (more difference makers) from being a contender. You're not getting that in less than 3 drafts and assuming you make good coaching choices too.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't like it, but i'm not going to crucify the guy until i see who he hires...but did anyone else think he sounded like jauron with a southern accent?

we need luck? we're close? 2 or 3 plays? that it utter bull ****. who does he think is watching these press conferences? no one believes that ****.

I think he admitted that there are problems and some things need to change. So, no, he didn't sound exactly like Jauron's "stay the course" and "it's all about the continuity" speech.

I think (hope) that brohm is our qb next year. but i dont think TE is as bad as we give him credit for. (touchy subject i know)

i think his suck was a product of the coaching staff/line. last year, he was clearly better than JP, and JP was on the outs. he is this years JP. losman on the other hand, goes to the UFL, most people discounting him as being finished in the NFL. now, he is signed (yes raiders, but still signed) and it seems he got some confidence back.

the truth is, time will tell. of course, maybe Nix was talking about the 3 qbs active right now with brohm, fitz and chroise. I think that fitz should stay on as backup... he has proven he can do that quite well

BV, you are one of the best posters ever on this board imo, but I think I disagree with you here.

If Nix REALLY is one of the top 5 talent evaluators in football, who really gives a !@#$ about anything else? I am willing to write off his years with the Bills due to what I imagine was a meddling Levy. The mans work really took off after he left Buffalo, although I must say the the 95 draft was superb.

There are some guys out there that really can spot talent. Levy and Jauron really knew and cared a lot about the secondary and special teams, and that was it. If Nix is one of them, this constitutes an edge. He has been associated with people like Smith, Butler and Marty. This is a very good thing imo.

Again BV, IF the man is THAT much of a football man, he will look at this team and NOT draft a top 10 safety, corner or gadget player. I know.....what happens in terms of coaching is another issue of extreme importance. I do NOT want Fewell in here. I will go out on a limb and say that if he can convince Marty to come back, playoffs in 2 years.

In all, I view Nix as a giant step up.

He was the best football man in the building. Now, the question is whether he will actually be given the authority to fix the mess or whether he'll just be Smithers' point man on the ground navigating the media jungle. Some of the things he mentioned today fly in the face of what has become Bills convention. Hiring experienced coaches, especially assistant coaches. Strength and conditioning and doing what it takes to have players that can stay on the field. Developing and then rewarding players who become better. Strong leadership and direction. A cohesive vision shared by the GM and head coach. Hell, even having a hands-on GM that has held all the posts on the football side of the business is a departure. Signing a "big name" free agent (like Terrell Owens) is a loser's strategy -- zing! to the guys on either side of him there. :flirt: Having a team that can control the line of scrimmage.

i'm thinkin the bills will pursue Cowher as first choice (it's the big bang the fans are looking for). If that fails, i think the second choice will be the father son team of Marty and Brian Schottenheimer (Marty and Nix are extremely close), with the angle that Marty will be HC for two years and then hand it over to Brian who would be Assistant HC/ OC.