Bills press conference @2:30-Nix confirmed as new GM

zdro22

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buddy Nix is a football guy, and a southerner. You might like one thing, but not the other.

Gil Brandt is a football guy, and a southerner. You might like one guy like him running the show.

I don't care if he's a harelip, if he knows how to build a football team. It sounds to me like he does.

My opinion:

3) I like Buddy's honesty, but I don't want to know how dumb he thinks he is. There is a fine line between humility and respect. I'm of the belief that geniuses are not always the best people to run your business (or country), but you also need to be a creative thinker. I'm hoping Nix is willing to think outside the box bc no one else in the organization is.

I like this point the most. As a leader of people, anytime you say you're not that bright it makes them wonder how capable you are. The question, given this organization, is how much control will Nix have? How much interference does he get from RW, Littman, Mr. Smithers, and Overdorf?

Levy came in and made no changes. Brandon was technically GM and made no changes. Now Nix is in and we're wondering if he will even be able to make changes, as in firing Modrak, Guy, and Overdorf. I don't think so.

The returns on spending massively in FA has been very poor in the NFL. You have to strike gold by getting those middle tier FA that go on to have a great career.

There have been very few big time FA acquisitions that have been successful.

Even Adalius Thomas who was considered the dream FA and no less signed by the big time Patriots is waiting to get in the Unemployment line at the end of the season.

The only success stories that come to mind is Drew Brees and Reggie White.

The Bills themselves stuck gold with the mid level FA such as Bryce Paup and failed miserably in many FA acquisitions.

Failed miserably in many FA acquisitions?

Ted Washington

Chris Spielman

Bill Brooks

Sam Adams

Takeo Spikes

London Fletcher

Quinn Early

Chris Villarial

Drayton Florence

Rian Lindell

Granted they did have some stink bombs:

Joe Panos

Robert Royal

Larry Triplett

Kelly Holcomb

But overall I'd say the Bills have done a good job in free agency over the years.

Sounds like he wants a QB coach who can re-discover Trent's mojo. (Just reading between the lines).

The current coaches sound like toast to me, especially the SAC coach. Maybe Bobby stays on.

Hopefully, he doesn't drag Marty's old ass back to Buffalo.

He needs an offensive line that can protect him. Trent is good enough to win in this league, just like Losman was. Our offensive line has been a disgrace.

He needs an offensive line that can protect him. Trent is good enough to win in this league, just like Losman was. Our offensive line has been a disgrace.

u are a !@#$ing moron..... losman blows, edwards blows. WE NEED A QB FIRST AND FOREMOST, THEN THE LINES..............................

He does. It will not make any difference who our QB is unless and until the team puts together a good offensive line that is made for Buffalo weather. Our line has been a disgrace and among the worst I have seen.

And now there is this latest blog from Mark Gaughan:

Wilson's comfort zone

New Bills general manager Buddy Nix has a strong resume as a football man. He has been an assistant coach, a head coach, a scout. He has overseen the pro side and the college side of an NFL operation.

He also fits within the comfort zone of Bills owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr. There is no doubt Wilson felt better about promoting in-house, giving the job to someone with whom he already has a relationship. Wilson is not eager to hand over control of his operation to someone with whom he has to start a relationship from scratch. It's a trust issue with the Bills' owner. Wilson still has scars from the failure of his relationship with former team president Tom Donahoe. If he could find a suitable candidate who he knows, it makes sense he would lean in that direction.

Nix was with the Bills from 1993 to 2000 as the Southeastern scout. He was assistant general manager to A.J. Smith from 2001 to 2008.

---Mark Gaughan

I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous. I sure hope Buddy is the right choice, but that comfort zone business is nonsense. If Ralph had an ounce of football sense left at this point, he would have searched for someone far, far away from the excrement pile at OBD. The fact that he even interviewed Modrak and Guy says all we need to know about Ralph's steadfast commitment to mediocrity. Don't hand me the Rooney Rule either as, guess what, there may actually be QUALIFIED minority candidates out there.

Failed miserably in many FA acquisitions?

Ted Washington

Chris Spielman

Bill Brooks

Sam Adams

Takeo Spikes

London Fletcher

Quinn Early

Chris Villarial

Drayton Florence

Rian Lindell

Granted they did have some stink bombs:

Joe Panos

Robert Royal

Larry Triplett

Kelly Holcomb

But overall I'd say the Bills have done a good job in free agency over the years.

The OP was arguing that we need to put money and be a player for the expensive FA (like a Haynesworth). My point was that in the NFL in general, there is no consistent winners for gettitng such FA acuisitions. In fact I mentioned that many teams have found better results in the mid level FA acquisitons. Ted Washington was a mid-level FA acquisition.

BTW, Takeo was a failure for the Bills. He did not make a difference in this decade of mediocrity. Quinn Early played for 2 seasons. They re-signed Peerless Price and what did they get....Ryan Fitzpatrick....

Bottom line is as Nix mentioned, it is better to build the team through the draft and doing mid-level FA....

u are a !@#$ing moron..... losman blows, edwards blows. WE NEED A QB FIRST AND FOREMOST, THEN THE LINES..............................

The more times you post that does not make it so. You have it exactly backward.

Dude, Trent Edwards is a horrible quarterback. He's not even good enough to be a backup in this league. Once the league figured out that the only throws he had were the checkdowns and dumpoffs, his NFL career was over. One final note, a noodle arm and Western NY weather just do not mix.

Relax man, too many of your posts are about cutting someone down. keep this up and you might get a ban.

IN other news which one of you bastages is messing around with Nix's wiki:

Buddy Nix (born December 6, 1939) is currently the General Manager for the Buffalo Bills[1]. He previously was employed by Santa Claus from 1993-2000. From 2001 until mid 2008 he was the The etch a sketch tester at the North Pole for Santa. There were conflicting news reports on why Nix left. These include 1) he was looking to meet his father 2) that he had resigned and was open to seeking another Front Office position with another NFL team. Nix was quoted as saying that he was going to play golf, but was open to other offers from other teams.[2].

Dude, Trent Edwards is a horrible quarterback. He's not even good enough to be a backup in this league. Once the league figured out that the only throws he had were the checkdowns and dumpoffs, his career NFL was over. One final note, a noodle arm and Western NY weather just do not mix.

On Sunday, count how much time elapses between the snap of the ball and when there is pressure in the QBs face.