Bills press conference @2:30-Nix confirmed as new GM

zdro22

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting move.

On the surface, its not that pretty. The Bills essentially are doing what they have done for the past decade. The storyline is precisely as it has been. And that frustrates me because to me, it shows that RW was full of sh*t about the "massive overhaul". As Mortenson wrote, this seems like it has been the plan all year long and that Nix was hired last year and given the task of evaluating the organization before taking over the reigns as GM. It also vindicates a few points I made in relation to my concerns over RW's ability to turn the Bills around:

1) This is an inside job. Even if he has been w/ the Bills for less than a year, he is still an internal member of the organization.

2) This could secure the jobs of Guy and Modrak. That would be atrocious considering they are huge culprits of this past decade's ruinous drafting.

3) Brandon didn't take a step BACK. HE WAS PROMOTED! I posted numerous times yesterday (much to the dismay of fellow TBD posters) that Brandon has a huge influence on this team. Now, that could be a good or bad thing. If Wilson is giving him the wheel, there is the chance that the FO will finally be free of Wilson's involvement and could quite possibly fix things up. At the same time, I am skeptical about anyone in Wilson's inner circle running this franchise.

4) Wilson time and time again does the same type of hiring. It drives me NUTS. When will he inject some new energy into the franchise? He likes this old timers who probably won't require a huge salary and who are easy hires. He WILL NEVER hire someone who is willing to rock the boat. Aka, tell him that he is wrong. You think Nix said "I'll only take this job if you are committed to spending money on the team?". Doubtful. But I bet that is something that crossed Shananan's and Cowher's mind.

5) I don't believe that the Bill's had an exhaustive search for GM. And that is frustrating. They had this planned all along.

On another note, if this the Bill's mindset going into this HC search, I think we all can assume that Cowher will likely not be in the running. If you follow this type of logic (promoting a familiar face w/ former Buffalo Bills ties) then I think we are looking at Jim Hasslet.

At the same time, Nix clearly has had success with the Chargers. The question is, how much influence did he have over Butler/Smith.

I don't mean to sound negative. It just feels kind of blah. And it definitely doesn't scream out that the Bills are actually ready for a significant overall of the organization.

Why is this bad for Cowher when Cowher is linked to both Modrak and Nix?

PTR

As am I. People wanted a 'football man' as their next GM. Well, folks, you got one. A lifelong scout and one of the better ones in the business. I don't really see what all of the bitching is about, except that he's not some yet-to-be-named candidate from outside the organization.

Per my twitter exchange with Adam Schefter:

RT @musiccharles: @Adam_Schefter Did the Bills talk to anyone outside the building? ... They had external candidate list - and went Nix.

*the rest were follow ups from others *

RT @glazeduck: @Adam_Schefter what are your thoughts on Nix Shef? Good hire? ... He knows personnel, that's for sure. 18 minutes ago

RT @medale87: @Adam_Schefter Who was the Bills Rooney Rule canidate? .. They interviewed John Guy as well.

I like the Nix hire. Wish they had gone Gettleman from Giants, but I'm fine with this. He now has to show he his his own man. Hire the right coach and be "the man."

C

This organization is such a joke. They interviewed only 3 candidates Modrak, Guy, and Nix. That was a real thorough search can't believe they made a decision so quickly without checking out other candidates. I can't believe that Modrak and Guy were even up for consideration in the first place.

That is (Modrak, Guy) :worthy: worthy

Ask yourself, "Why do this now?"

Who are the Bills beating to the punch here? Nobody. They are declaring an end to their "search" though just before any new teams decide to blow up their own front offices and start looking around and interviewing hot prospects, which includes making lists of who the hot prospects are and are not and setting the going market value for the position in 2010.

From the optimistic perspective, maybe they wanted to get this done now so as to jump in with their new head coach asap.

Refreshing to see that your idiocy isn't confined to PPP

I agree with him to some extent, as in the Bills NEED to make a splash with the coach signing. If they hire a Haslett or some no-name coordinator, expect early season ticket renewals to plummet. However, if they bring in a Cowher or a Schottenhimer...then that will at least build some excitement around the team and keep interest relevant.

I would not necessarily mind Nix, but why not wait another week or two and atleast interview some other qualified candidates before naming Nix ? Seems like another shortsighted move by the Bills.

How do we know that they haven't interviewed other people? Nobody knew a thing about this until what a few hours ago? Plus I don't know why people are upset if it is indeed Nix. Look at his credentials, who cares how old he is?

My 2 cents on this are: this indicates a big name HC is coming.

This a very odd time to name a GM. New Years Eve on the week BEFORE the last game of the season? This indicates they are wanting to strike quickly to get things settled. Coach Sal's source had the Bills talking to Cowher the past several days, perhaps settling the front office situation was part of his concerns/demands?

I appreciate your attitude through all this. You were right, and I will give you the benefit of the doubt next time around. That said, I hope you come back and post again when you have some good info.

So, does this mean Marty Ball in Buffalo?

Thanks Scribo. I will be back. I don't have any firm info on that one as of yet other than Schottenhiemer has interest. Either way with his connections to Nix I would move him up on the list.

My 2 cents on this are: this indicates a big name HC is coming.

This a very odd time to name a GM. New Years Eve on the week BEFORE the last game of the season? This indicates they are wanting to strike quickly to get things settled. Coach Sal's source had the Bills talking to Cowher the past several days, perhaps settling the front office situation was part of his concerns/demands?

Very optimistic thinking. Like it.