Be careful what you wish for, Bills fans

PromoTheRobot

Only one NFL championship-winning coach ever won a second one with a new team. That was Weeb Ewbanks with the '59 Colts and '69 Jets. You don't give $50M and a piece of the team just to lose Super Bowl #5. You may think it's better than going 7-9 but trust me, losing the big one hurts the worst of all.

PTR

Only one NFL championship-winning coach ever won a second one with a new team. That was Weeb Ewbanks with the '59 Colts and '69 Jets. You don't give $50M and a piece of the team just to lose Super Bowl #5. You may think it's better than going 7-9 but trust me, losing the big one hurts the worst of all.

PTR

I agree. However, IMO, the first step for the Bills must be to establish credibility and a winning atmosphere again. Muddling along with mediocre coaches and players makes that difficult to accomplish. However, bringing in a Shanahan adds instant credibility to the franchise.

With that being said, the Cariucci (sp?) article concerns me. Because it brings into light what may be the cost of that credibility. Is it worth it? I honestly don't know. But I guess we can cross that bridges a few years from now.

That is a lot of money just to make the playoffs. And I have been a Bills fan long enough to know that nothing short of a SB ring will soothe the fans. In fact the higher we go and fall short will make people even crazier.

I don't know. This whole thing smells like a Dan Snyder/buy-a-championship desperation move. And three years from now the same media pundits mocking us for trying to hire Shannahan will be mocking us for spending a king's ransom and losing in the wild-card round.

PTR

Along the same line, there's very few coaches older than 50 who've ever won. Again Weeb was one and I beleive there was one other. Most of these proven guys who have already won, go to another team, now older they seem to lose the drive a bit.

PTR

You know what is amazing: it seems that everyone JUST focuses on winning the Super Bowl. Look it is VERY VERY hard to even get to a Super Bowl, yet win it.

But you know what I miss most of all?

Going to see the Bills in person, going to a bar, watching the game at home, and have a GENUINE joy and intensity to watch the Bills, thinking to yourself that you actually BELIEVE they might have a chance to win it all.

THAT is what I miss the most.

And to me that is one of the best things about being a sports fan. Id rather take my chances and lose the Super Bowl over and over then finish 5-11, be irrelevant, and have ZERO juice for the Bills.

You know what is amazing: it seems that everyone JUST focuses on winning the Super Bowl. Look it is VERY VERY hard to even get to a Super Bowl, yet win it.

Going to see the Bills in person, going to a bar, watching the game at home, and have a GENUINE joy and intensity to watch the Bills, thinking to yourself that you actually BELIEVE they might have a chance to win it all.

And to me that is one of the best things about being a sports fan. Id rather take my chances and lose the Super Bowl over and over then finish 5-11, be irrelevant, and have ZERO juice for the Bills.

Did you live through '91-'94? Trust me, those happy-just-to-be competitive feelings fade pretty fast. You say you'd gladly accept SB loss #5 but it will hurt worse than the other 4 combined!

Face it. If Shanny comes to Buffalo it will be the LAST move the Bills make. There will be no Plan B.

PTR

Did you live through '91-'94? Trust me, those happy-just-to-be competitive feelings fade pretty fast. You say you'd gladly accept SB loss #5 but it will hurt worse than the other 4 combined!

Face it. If Shanny comes to Buffalo it will be the LAST move the Bills make. There will be no Plan B.

PTR

Of course it would hurt, but I'd be willing to take the chance of being hurt then never having the chance in the first place.

PTR

So it's better to go 7-9, than it is to make the playoffs, advance in the playoffs and then lose in the Super Bowl?

Sorry, that is such a loser mentality. Your doom and gloom is depressing. :thumbsup:

That is a lot of money just to make the playoffs. And I have been a Bills fan long enough to know that nothing short of a SB ring will soothe the fans. In fact the higher we go and fall short will make people even crazier.

I don't know. This whole thing smells like a Dan Snyder/buy-a-championship desperation move. And three years from now the same media pundits mocking us for trying to hire Shannahan will be mocking us for spending a king's ransom and losing in the wild-card round.

PTR

It'll almost certainly be spun that wyay by a numbe of pundits and posters; however, I disagree. These same pundits and posters have been saying for years that this is a coaching league. That is, with FA, salary caps, and parity all teams have roughly equal talent. What separates the contenders from the pretenders is coaching. So, we need a good coach.

If Cowher does take a job, it'll certainly be in the same ballpark salarywise. Heck, Shanahan is making $7mill for doing nothing. Someone is going to pay him more than that to get him. Is he worth it? Well, who knows. But, if you want him, it's going to take some serious coinage.

I do agree, it's one heck of a price just to make the playoffs. But, there's no guarantee in any decision. We tried the strong GM role with TD. That failed. We tried the hot coordinators. That failed. We tried the experienced, but cheap coach. That failed. Now, looks like we're trying the big name coach with rings approach. You're absolutely right, no other team has been successful with that. However, seeing as it's Ralph's money, I'm all for it. Bring in some credibility. Bring in some positive attitude. Make the playoffs. Then in 4 years, fire the guy and try to get over that final hump.

IMO, it'll be easy to break the cycle the Bills are currently in with a name coach as opposed to an unproven guy. It will be interesting to see what they do about the players, though. Regardless of who the coach/GM is, I'm not sure Buffalo can afford the signing bonuses the top FA's, ala Hansworth, demand. So, although Carucci's artivle is concerning, I'm not sure Shanahan could operate like that even if he wanted to. Perhaps that will give Ralph the out when he quits because he can't spend like a drunken sailor.

PTR

I well lived through the Super Bowl years, and it was a very exciting time to be a Bills fan....sure the SB losses hurt a ton, but Ill take my chances over 7-9 and its hard to win in the NFL type coaches.

So it's better to go 7-9, than it is to make the playoffs, advance in the playoffs and then lose in the Super Bowl?

Sorry, that is such a loser mentality. Your doom and gloom is depressing. :thumbsup:

+100000

Seriously, 7-9 > losing a Super Bowl? Me think promo has been brainwashed by ESPN or New England fans :thumbsup:

Look 'Buffalo' is going to be ripped by the media no matter what it does. This team is a small market team that has been a joke in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 2000's. For all but a few seasons, this entire franchise has been worthless and one of the biggest jokes in the NFL.

Regardless of what some people say, Ralph has been cheap and it has gotten out that he is an extreme meddler (see AJ. Smith, Butler, Donahoe).

and here is the bottom line folks, Buffalo its self isn't a great place to live. The Bills, the 'Candian Ballet' and Shoveling snow is about all there is.

So hire Shanahan, don't hire him, win a superbowl, dont win one, this team and city will NEVER be a media darling.

All I'm saying is that people think Shanny is a guaranteed ticket to a title. Meanwhile most SB winners are teams built from the ground up, not bought. Let's hope it works.

PTR

There are 'some' that might think that way...I do not.

Well if the bills did commit to Shanny for 5 years, he would build it from the ground up, hiring a big time coach is only PART of the issue, but man is it a nice 1st step.

Face it: The Bills, based on their practices over the last 10 years and the rep they have, need to overpay for a big time coach. if so, then let it be so.

Shanahan would build from the ground up too. We will likely have a top 5 draft pick, so it is pretty close to the ground.

Shanahan, like Weeb Ewbank has won a few games which is a good start if you want to win a championship. There is no guarantee regardless of who is brought in, contrast that to hiring Dick Jauron, a career loser. I am all for Shanahan

and applaud Ralph for taking a run at him.

All I'm saying is that people think Shanny is a guaranteed ticket to a title. Meanwhile most SB winners are teams built from the ground up, not bought. Let's hope it works.

PTR

To be fair, almost any coach will have some people thinking its a ticket to a title. But, more importantly, I don't see paying top dollar for a HC as trying to buy a championship in the same way as bringing in every top FA on the market.

Paying top dollar to a quality HC is just paving the way for winning team to built from the ground up. Of course, he could try to bring every high-priced FA as well. But, that would be another discussion.

PTR

This has been thrown around a lot, but is there any reason to believe it's anything more than a coincidence? By my count, four coaches got to the Superbowl with multiple teams and won it with at least one - Shula, Parcells, Holmgren and Vermeil. Of those, Shula and Vermeil lost with their first team and won it with their second. Parcells and Holmgren won with their first team and lost with their second.

BTW, Ewbank was only 130-129 for his career, 4-1 in the postseason. He won his championships with the Colts when there was only one playoff round (the championship) and with the Jets when there were two.

It's not even just Shanahan (or any big name) that is enticing. It's everything he brings with him....i.e. capable assistant coaches that will follow him here, maybe a bigtime GM and Free agents that will suddenly get pumped up about coming to an organization that is committed to winning. Do you think Jim Haslett or someone like that could muster that up? No way.

PTR

Like others who have replied, I too lived through '91-'94, so I feel like I have some basis for saying being a fan of the Bills is far far worse today than it was at any point during that stretch. Yeah, when I was 18-20 those Super Bowl losses hurt. But along with those losses came a lot of great memories of games the Bills won. What memories do I have to enjoy from the last 10 years of Bills football? A 31-0 beating of the Patriots after acquiring Lawyer Milloy, and...? Help me out here.

Bottom line, I want to have enjoyable Bills football again. Even if it doesn't result in a championship.

WRONG....You need a good coach and front office personnel to right the ship.

I don't know what's wrong with you but I'd gladly take the playoffs (win or lose) than the pathetic crap sandwich I've been eating for ten years. You would rather us suck than not go for the big show...where's your nut sack?

You can't win a superbowl unless you get in the playoffs, maybe several years of playoff losses before winning the big one. I would take that as many years they can deliver it to my living room. A perennial contender..yes I want that!

I knew there would be people like you being negative even when Ralph is trying to change things.

Do everything you can to get Shanahan, have him bring in good assistants and then improve our talent level.

I am wishing for Shanahan..at least it is giving me some hope and belief in Ralph again.

PTR

Not making the playoffs for a decade and becoming virtually irrelevant in the NFL is far worse.

Also not many coaches win the Superbowl period - recently Holmgren returned to a Superbowl with Seattle.

A far better stat is that typically these coaches go to a new place and win again

I don't care who the coach is- the head coach has never been a problem over the last 15 years. Levy, Phillips, WIlliams, Mularkey and Jauron all know football. VP of operations and GM have been the problem- and their lack of ability to aquire talented players.

Unless we fix that, we are spinning our wheels. Belicheck couldn't win with this Mickey Mouse operation

PTR

It IS better, in fact anything is better then what we've been enduring for the last 10 years. I would rather lose the big one EVERY year then this mediocre crap we've been dealing with. At least we have a shot of extending the season by a few games. I really don't understand your point of view. It seems as though you are saying no hope is better then having hope that leads to disappointment. I would rather have a little bit of hope when it comes to the Bills whether that hope be through Shanahan or Marty or whomever. Ralph hasn't much time left and spending big money on a big name is the first thing that he has done or planned to do that makes any kind of sense. For the first time in many years it seems like RW gives a crap.

Any of these elite candidates could also continue this franchise toward another decade of irrelevance. Nobody knows. I think most fans are happy that the Bills appear to be performing their due dilligence this time around in identifying the candidate that gives this franchise the best opportunity to win a championship.

Shanny has always had the Pats* number, he builds good offensive lines along with great ground games, even without Elway he still had success (with guy by the name of Jake Plummer they went to the AFC championship game) up until the last few seasons Denver had very good defenses with Shanny at the helm.

The guy is an offensive mind who instills a lot of passion into his team and has a winning pedigree to command respect (The opposite of DJ). I don't see what is wrong with hiring this guy.

PTR

this is the confounding part. Let's get an established coach who won a championship with another team. As they say in the equities market, past performance is no guarantee of future success.

I'd agree with you to an extent, but whiffing on this past decade without even being close to playing in january sucks worse than 0-4 in SB's. At the same time, I'm 47 now and realize that whether they win the SB or not, my life doesn't change dramatically. It'd be nice to celebrate the victory for sure, but before we contemplate that we probably have to make the playoffs.

I'd love to see Marshawn and Freddy behind a good zone blocking scheme and a good line. Maybe we find out that the only holes Marshwan can consistently hit are the ones with an chubby Canadian chick on the other side, but I'd love to know what he and Freddy could do with some consistently good line play. I'd love to see ANY qb in a Bills uniform behind a consistently good line with time to throw. Wouldn't it be nice to judge that a qb didn't have "it" after a season where someone else couldn't argue that our line sucked something awful???

besides, Promo, we're Bills fans. part of the rythym fo the dance is to have somethign to complain about. How awesome would it be to complain about how Shanahan only got us through to the second round of the playoffs? we could really have some angst over that!

Go Bills. Happy Thanksgiving.

PTR

Uh, right. Aren't you just a piece of sunshine?

PTR

I somewhat disagree ... a full decade of suck has been worse than losing four in a row. Don't get me wrong i want to see them win one. However, the last decade has been a gnawing pain that gets worse every year. Right now I don't even like watching the games as there is hardly anything positive to take away. I like Fewell's enery but you just have to know he is not the guy.

I have read all of your comments with interest. My take on the subject is this: I have no problem with Shanahan taking over the Bills. Mike's name will give the organization credability. Back during the glory years, free agents would come to Buffalo to play with Kelly, Smith, ect. Polian knew who to contact in order to make things happen. My point is that Buffalo needs one person with credability to join the team, and others will follow. If we somehow make it to SB #5, I will worry about the emotional pain of losing it then. I remember the pain of all four losses. It still stings today if I let it. That pain is STILL better than the crap we have watched this past decade.

PTR

Baby steps PTR, baby steps. Shanny will build this team right. He will get us a QB and an OL. He will learn his lesson and figure out the D side of the ball and get us near the top there too. In his 2nd year we make the playoffs. In his third we beat out the Pats for the Division. in his 4th we win our first playoff game and so on. After 5 years he may retire and leave a top OC/DC to take over the team and just keep rolling. The Steelers/Pats/Colts werent built overnight. I want this team not to win one SB and fall back to the bottom like Tampa, but have the chance to win one every year, and win multiple like those three teams. Big Pictures take baby steps.

Along with the pain of the SB losses came the joy of the Houston comeback, the elation of the 51-3 drubbing of Oakland on the home turf, the annual waive off to Miami as we sent them home for the winter, I will take winning all day over the nonsense of Jauron. Bring in a winner like Shanahan any day. It's all good.

If we somehow make it to SB #5, I will worry about the emotional pain of losing it then. I remember the pain of all four losses. It still stings today if I let it. That pain is STILL better than the crap we have watched this past decade.

Great, great post. ;)

Super Bowl obsession is simple-minded. ("You either win everything or you are a loser.") Honestly, I'd love for the Bills to win the big one, but it's way down on my list of Bills' goals.

I like watching football. I love watching football when the Bills are interesting and competitive week in and week out. Sure the Super Bowl losses stung. But my life doesn't change based in one game. It does change, however, based on the overall experience of watching the team every week.

When I think about the 90s Bills, I think about how MANY amazing, fun games there were. Every season there were tons of great moments: gritty victories, comebacks, upsets, playoff wins - all mixed in with the occasional crusher that kept life interesting.

This has been a generally boring effing team for the last decade. Tell me the Bills will be interesting and exciting and win more than their share of games, and I say you can stuff your Super Bowl.

;) Ah, the voice of reason.

Guys, all fans "wish" for a Super Bowl win for their team. IMO a Ralph Wilson owned team will never again approach that lofty goal. But forget the odds of it happening, being a happy fan is about rooting for a team that is capable of doing it. I desire a reasonable expectation (at the beginning of each season) that my team could win enough games each year to have a chance to win it all. Regarding the "pain" of losing the Super Bowl, I was there. But it wasn't as much pain as it is today, because each of those (early '90s) seasons, I knew the team had a chance to win it the following year. Ask a Patriots fan if going 17 - 0 only to lose the SB was too much to take and most of them will tell you that at least there is a chance they may win it all the next season... or the next.