Speeding ticket

JoeFerguson

This is my first speeding ticket. People tell me if I go to the court date I can get it reduced. Do I plea guilty or not guilty?

How much will my insurance go up with 4 points on my license? I live in WI.

Pre-emptive link in case somebody calls me Njsue

FYI - People told me the same thing, I showed up in court and the judge did absolutely nothing for me and I had to pay the same fine as I would have if I didn't show up and it cost me half of a vacation day. This was outside of Boston, not in WI but just figured you should know it's not guaranteed.

This is my first speeding ticket. People tell me if I go to the court date I can get it reduced. Do I plea guilty or not guilty?

Go to traffic school. You pay the fine and for the school but nothing goes to insurance.

Probably nothing. Insurance companies don't pull your record all the time. I've had a couple of tickets and my rates have never gone up (one was 80 in a 65, the other was 75 in a 65 - when I was only going 69. :doh: ).

Both tickets were in Minnesota, although I live in Wisconsin (right on the border), so maybe things are different in that case.

Going to court can't make anything worse -- but from what I hear, you might get the cost down but the points will stay the same. YMMV.

In NY the DA or an Assistant DA is there for the court date ask to talk to them, I just got a ticket 50 in a 35 and I got it reduced to a $100 parking ticket :doh:

I just received my first ticket in YEARS in Cheektowaga. I was taking my son over a friends house in my 350Z AND I WAS *NOT* speeding down Union. I turned off onto a side street and I saw a Cheektowaga Police car driving like out of a movie in my rear view mirror. I told me son I was getting ready to get a ticket...

He approached, asked me my hurry. I stated respectfully that I was not speeding. He took my documents to his car, came back a few minutes later and wrote me for my EXHAUST!!!! Granted my car is indeed loud and the aftermarket exhaust adds to that, but it is a good sounding loud, not like a Honda with a fart muffler or a Harley with straight pipes..

Anyways, I pleaded guilty and am awaiting the fine in the mail. The last thing I wanted to do is go to court, argue the case, win on a technicality ( he did not have a measuring device - only his ear ), and have him lookout for my car from that day forward since I do live in Cheektowaga and it does stick out..

I guess its better than a speeding ticket - no points ( I don't think ) and no insurance raise.....But probably around $100.00 fine :doh:

In my younger days I had several speeding tickets and every one of them was reduced by talking to the DA prior to the court appearance. (This was over 10 years ago). Ask to speak to the DA and find out if they are willing to reduce the ticket. They will often reduce to something like "failure to obey a traffic device" or at least lower the speed violation to 65 in a 55. You would then plead guilty to the lower violation. Good Luck.

pay it then take traffic school...you can have a multiple choice test sent to you in most cases--will wipe out the point

Go to traffic school. You pay the fine and for the school but nothing goes to insurance.

Same here in FL. Though its interesting, for the school you go to Blockbuster and rent "The School" its about $70. After watching "The School" you go online and take a test to make sure you watched the damn thing. Pay the fine and no points. How do I know this you ask? Wifey got a speeding ticket a while back, Not I!! :doh:

Plead not guilty and go to traffic court. Make sure you have a good excuse like I was having a bad day and was not paying attention to the speedometer and be sure to apologize and you know the speed limit now and apologize for it. If the judge thinks you are sincere he MIGHT reduce the fine.

Forget about the cop not showing up to court defense...they now have electronic sworn affidavits that the officer creates right there in his car computer to submit to the courts so he does not have to be there.

plead not guilty, go to court, see what they can do. you have nothing to lose by pleading guilty and going to court, except an evening of your time.

the biggest question is: was this on a state highway written by a state trooper?

if so, you'll likely get it reduced since if they reduce it down to another type of ticket, the local municipality will get the money instead of the state or county or whatever. at least, that's how it worked back in the day when i would get pulled over on I-90 going to Fredonia by troopers and would go to court at Hamburg Town Hall.

I just received my first ticket in YEARS in Cheektowaga. I was taking my son over a friends house in my 350Z AND I WAS *NOT* speeding down Union. I turned off onto a side street and I saw a Cheektowaga Police car driving like out of a movie in my rear view mirror. I told me son I was getting ready to get a ticket...

He approached, asked me my hurry. I stated respectfully that I was not speeding. He took my documents to his car, came back a few minutes later and wrote me for my EXHAUST!!!! Granted my car is indeed loud and the aftermarket exhaust adds to that, but it is a good sounding loud, not like a Honda with a fart muffler or a Harley with straight pipes..

Anyways, I pleaded guilty and am awaiting the fine in the mail. The last thing I wanted to do is go to court, argue the case, win on a technicality ( he did not have a measuring device - only his ear ), and have him lookout for my car from that day forward since I do live in Cheektowaga and it does stick out..

I guess its better than a speeding ticket - no points ( I don't think ) and no insurance raise.....But probably around $100.00 fine :D

glad to hear the Z is working out for ya!! :w00t:

If you go to court, you can always hope the cop doesn't show. If he doesn't, your case should be dismissed. If he does, plead guilty and ask the judge for a withhold of adjudication (no points). In Florida, they typically accomodate you with this - depending on your driving record, of course.

And, Jerry, cops don't suck!

Not sure how true this is but I've heard that you should send a checki in for $2 over the fine. When you get a refund check for the $2 don't cash it. This prevents the case from closing and the points do not go on your license.

For future reference: As soon as you get pulled over roll down your window and stick your arms out. This lets the cop know he is not in danger, kind of puts him/her in a less confrontational mood. This one I can vouch for, got out of 75 in a 55 with a warning as well as blatantly running a red light with a warning.