Buffalo WILL Hire Shanahan or Cowher

BuffaloBaumer

Bottom line... this city deserves it and the time has come. Get all the thoughts out of your head which are telling you believe it when I see it. One of these two guys will be coaching in Buffalo next year and that is final.

Enjoy the rest of the season knowing that a top class organization is right around the corner. ENJOY this time right now, we all deserve it!!!!!!

You would think that this would be the only choice. All this great coaching talent with Super Bowl victories on their resumes available at this time plus this franchise mired in a decade of irrelevance would equal snatching one of these guys up right away. But again, this is the Bills we are talking about here...

You would think that this would be the only choice. All this great coaching talent with Super Bowl victories on their resumes available at this time plus this franchise mired in a decade of irrelevance would equal snatching one of these guys up right away. But again, this is the Bills we are talking about here...

It's happening....

It's happening....

Obviously as a Bills fan I love what your saying and I hope thats the way it goes. History however, says it won't. I'm more inclined to believe we will have Haslett or Killbride. Do you really think someone like Cowher is going to come here?

Obviously as a Bills fan I love what your saying and I hope thats the way it goes. History however, says it won't. I'm more inclined to believe we will have Haslett or Killbride. Do you really think someone like Cowher is going to come here?

I'm starting to agree. Considering John's article about Ralph not wanting to make any moves until "after the season" and this just posted on Adam Schefter's Twitter page:

http://twitter.com/ADAM_SCHEFTER

"With Mike Shanahan, Bills are going Big Bear Hunting. At very least, they can tell their fans they hunted the Big Bear and took their shot."

It all makes me think that we are going to say in public we are going after the big fish, but instead bag ourselves a minnow when the time comes to actually hire a coach.

I'm fully expecting a Haslett or Killdrive or nameless CFL coach to be our next HC.

To those who think that these greats would not come here: You underestimate the ego of these men.

I believe that this is really a situation for the Bills to lose.

1.) They currently do not have an actual GM. Brandon was awarded the role and title after Levy vacated the premises by default. Cowher, Shanahan, and Holmgren all are proven, all have won Super Bowls, and would most likely want coaching and personnel power. Their currently is no head coach. It would make sense to start with these guys, since the current openings would match their demands.

2.) The next move, should these 3 be interviewed and all decline hoping for bigger gold at the end of their rainbows, then hiring a proven GM would be the next step. Floyd Reese, Bruce Allen, Ron Wolf all come to mind. For those getting all weak in the knees for Greg Gabriel, what exactly are his credentials? He is over in Chicago, which as far as I can tell is a long way from the playoffs. What exactly has he built with staying power? His Buffalo roots, sadly, are not enough to want him. Chicago is hardly a powerhouse. Their defense is a shell of its former self. They haven't had a receiver in years. And prior to Cutler have not had a QB since McMahon. Again, what is so great about Gabriel?

3.) The Bills can really, really screw things up if they go after a coach instead of a GM should Shanahan, Cowher, or Holmgren turn them down. As with most clubs, a GM coming in wants his people in positions to succeed. If the Bills go out and hire a coach (whether it be Trestman, Haslett, or anyone), that would be undermining a potential GM because he will not be able to implement his strategy right off the bat.

The good news is that they are striking while the iron is hot, and just like the Twitter post from Thurman Thomas yesterday via Jim Kelly, Ralph is going to spend money this time. We have a good 10 weeks to round out the plan and candidates. I'll ultimately be happier when Modrak and Guy are fired, but this is a good start.

GO BILLS!

I'm starting to agree. Considering John's article about Ralph not wanting to make any moves until "after the season" and this just posted on Adam Schefter's Twitter page:

http://twitter.com/ADAM_SCHEFTER

"With Mike Shanahan, Bills are going Big Bear Hunting. At very least, they can tell their fans they hunted the Big Bear and took their shot."

It all makes me think that we are going to say in public we are going after the big fish, but instead bag ourselves a minnow when the time comes to actually hire a coach.

I'm fully expecting a Haslett or Killdrive or nameless CFL coach to be our next HC.

I think you're reading too much into Schefter's tweet. He's not implying anything deceitful about the Bills' attempt to get Shanahan. He's saying they are trying.

I actually think the reason Wilson fired Jauron when he did was just so he'd have the jump on getting one of the big guys.

I'm down near D.C., and all I can say is you gotta love the reports that Shanahan prefers the situation in Buffalo to the Redskins. If there's any truth to that Danny Snyder must be losing it - I know it's killing the fans!

This morning on WGR they were talking about Shanahan and said that we could get him for alot cheaper than what most people think. They said that he is still under his contract with Chicago which says that if he signs somewhere else (Buffalo)and they are paying less then what chicago owes him... Chicago has to make up the difference.

I heard they're paying people off the streets to help tarp sections of seats off in the stadium for Sunday's game. You should go ahead and join the effort.

wow another jaguar reference.. like that has not happened before. I hear your sister will be at the game smoking my sausage while Im tarping off seats. Yes, just because I live in Jacksonville I get canned because we don't deserve a team. If the bills were never on the chopping block to move I wouldn't have to hear any of your lame BS

wow another jaguar reference.. like that has not happened before. I hear your sister will be at the game smoking my sausage while Im tarping off seats. Yes, just because I live in Jacksonville I get canned because we don't deserve a team. If the bills were never on the chopping block to move I wouldn't have to hear any of your lame BS

I actually do have a younger sister. She's 14. Leave it to a guy from Northern Florida to make the types of references that end up landing ya on "To Catch A Predator". The show should just do their work in your neck of the woods permanently. Would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Bottom line: If you quit making stupid, pompous comments on almost all subjects Bills, maybe you won't continually receive insults about your city and its lack of a relevant football organization in response. Just sayin'.

I actually do have a younger sister. She's 14. Leave it to a guy from Northern Florida to make the types of references that end up landing ya on "To Catch A Predator". The show should just do their work in your neck of the woods permanently. Would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Bottom line: If you quit making stupid, pompous comments on almost all subjects Bills, maybe you won't continually receive insults about your city and its lack of a relevant football organization in response. Just sayin'.

I haven't been making dumb comments you moron... you just constantly are grilling me for the simple fact that I live in Jacksonville. Dude, it's not my fault that people don't go to the games... Treat others how you want to be treated and remember that this is a chat about a football team...grow up..

This morning on WGR they were talking about Shanahan and said that we could get him for alot cheaper than what most people think. They said that he is still under his contract with Chicago which says that if he signs somewhere else (Buffalo)and they are paying less then what chicago owes him... Chicago has to make up the difference.

what?? :doh:

Bottom line... this city deserves it and the time has come. Get all the thoughts out of your head which are telling you believe it when I see it. One of these two guys will be coaching in Buffalo next year and that is final.

Enjoy the rest of the season knowing that a top class organization is right around the corner. ENJOY this time right now, we all deserve it!!!!!!

Getting taken to the cleaners??? :doh:

I'm praying they get a big name coach like Shanahan or Cowher, but I think people are forgetting this is the Bills. I am 90% sure they will hire Haslett, Fassell, Gilbride, or some other second teir crap and give us all some excuse that sounds exactly like this: "We feel that (enter crap coach here) has personality and the direction to turn this organization into a winning franchise".

"Oh yeah, they were the only person we interviewed who would sign for the amount that we were willing to commit"

If we can't enjoy this possibility, what else is there................................

Spoken like a true Bills fan. Enjoy this possibility. It's been nothing but possibilities around here since the Superbowl days. !@#$ possibilities, I want committments, I don't want to have to hope for possibilities anymore. I want to see something get done around here for once. I don't see Shanny or Cowher or some other big name coach coming to Buffalo. They can pick whichever team they want after the season I'm thinking. I want to see Shanahan committed to being the nect Bills head coach before the end of the season.

Spoken like a true Bills fan. Enjoy this possibility. It's been nothing but possibilities around here since the Superbowl days. !@#$ possibilities, I want committments, I don't want to have to hope for possibilities anymore. I want to see something get done around here for once. I don't see Shanny or Cowher or some other big name coach coming to Buffalo. They can pick whichever team they want after the season I'm thinking. I want to see Shanahan committed to being the nect Bills head coach before the end of the season.

There is no exit plan for Ralph if a big name is not brought in....I mean NO EXIT (cue Toronto jokes)

seriously don't get your hopes up yet we could be dealing with Haslett which I think will happen

Nope..this boils down to marketing again. Haslett will be part of the interview process which is mandatory by the NFL. Fewell most likely will be one of the minority interviews. Count on this...Shanahan, Cowher, or Billick!!!!!

Nope..this boils down to marketing again. Haslett will be part of the interview process which is mandatory by the NFL. Fewell most likely will be one of the minority interviews. Count on this...Shanahan, Cowher, or Billick!!!!!

Why is this mandatory? Is he a minority?

Why is this mandatory? Is he a minority?

One of the little known league rules is that the interview process for a team's head coaching position must include at least one former player from that team. It makes it tough on expansion teams, but rules are rules.

Last time Ralph went out and got a legit, proven coach it was a complete success. That was 30 years ago. If we don't get Shanny or Cowher, is Chuck Knox still alive? If so, he would probably be better than any of the second tier names being tossed about here. As boring as ground Chuck was, at least is was a plan.

I hope you're right.

Guest dog14787
Do you think if Bills Fans invest in a sign saying "Please come to Buffalo Mr. Cowher" that it would help out with his decision on where to go (along with the millions of dollars and team control)?

Hmmmm, you might be on to something, where is that young fella that did such a great job with the Fire DJ and co. billboard I wonder.

"Please come to Buffalo Bill Cowher, Bills fans are begging you"