2010 Draft Needs

Armchair GM

Once again... this is THE MOST HIGHLY TOUTED QB CLASS in terms of sheer number of talented players in a long, long time. McCoy, Tebow, Bradford, Locker, Lefevour, Mallett, Clausen, etc etc. There are a number of guys that COULD be good. You face that possibility every year of a guy being a total bust. But with this many good quarterbacks coming into the league, the Bills HAVE TO take a shot. The franchise needs a new face in a big way.

I understand that approach, and it's hard to disagree because they HAVE to find a QB, but I just don't see happenning with this crop. Maybe I'm just gunshy, and wary of "3 more years".

Locker is the one guy that caught my eye, but he seems a bit inaccurate.

Tebow will not make it as a NFL QB.

These guys just strike me as classic "College QB's", Andre Ware, Rick Mirer, Heath Shuler,,,,on and on forever

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) GM

2) HC

3) QB

4) MLB

5) OT

I actually think the offensive and defensive lines will be ok with the future development of Maybin, Williams, Bell, Wood, and Levitre.

Of course our draft will most likely look like this.

1) overreach for a 5'9 DB form Ohio State.

2) overreach for a 5'9 safety from Ohio State.

3) pick an udersized line backer who has great special teams potential.

4) trade the rest of our picks in the draft for Jake Delhomme and cash considerations.

Once again... this is THE MOST HIGHLY TOUTED QB CLASS in terms of sheer number of talented players in a long, long time. McCoy, Tebow, Bradford, Locker, Lefevour, Mallett, Clausen, etc etc. There are a number of guys that COULD be good. You face that possibility every year of a guy being a total bust. But with this many good quarterbacks coming into the league, the Bills HAVE TO take a shot. The franchise needs a new face in a big way.

Yes they need to draft a QB but not in the first two rounds. Take a project and hope you hit the lottery. Missing on JP set the Bills back 5-7 years. It is way too risky to draft a QB too high. For every Matt Ryan there are two or three Jamarcus Russell's, Alex Smith's, Jason Campbell's....The list oges on and on. Draft a guy 3rd round or later at least every other year if not every year....

1. DT - there are a few first rnd prospects in this draft. Team has not been the same since letting pat williams go and not drafting ngata a few years later hurt as well. This would improve the run defense the fastest.

2 QB - As mentioned there are several good prospects this year and not that many teams with a need for a qb. One could be had at the Bills 2nd round pick that should have gone higher.

3 OT - RT LT whichever we got would improve our line and help the offenses progress more than improving any other position (besides QB - which cant function w/out a line anyway)

4 Lineman - OL or DL I really envision Maybin getting slid to LB as that would seem to be his more natural position and that would leave a need at DE depth unless C. Ellis becomes more like that other guy from VaTech

5 LB - and an actual LB as well not a transitioned player from any other position ( I know I just saidf Maybin should switch but hes already on the roster) because invariably our lbs get hurt every single year depth would be good here

6 FB - Every year I hope for the Bills to stop with this ridiculous h-back position that i hate. Good FBs can be had this late every year and a good run/pass blocking back would help Freddy and Marshawn

7 DB - you have to let Jauron have one every year but hopefully its not.... who am i kidding the 7-9 Bills will keep him again for continuitys sake <---- please god that is sarcasm do not punish me for such silly jokes!

Obviously a lot depends on where we draft. Everyone's seems to assume around a top 5 pick, but given the schedule it's reasonable we play ourselves out of the top 10 again (no, not saying I'm hoping for more losses).

I agree that OLB is a big need, and I've been yelling for one Suh or Cody since 5 min after the last draft ended. But the fact is, the defense is playing OKAY, and I think they play a hell of lot better if they get down to only playing half a game instead of the 3/4 games they have been playing all season. The offense needs to stay on the field!

IMO, if we have a low pick and pass on Trent Williams or Russell Okung (my preference is Okung by a pretty big stretch...not that it matters), we'd really be blowing it. With the interior of the line showing true potential, and Bell able to move over the right side, I think this one pick finally gives us the players to build a team around. And if we're willing to keep them together (another argument, another thread), they could be around for the next 10 years.

And I think I'm still the only one beating this drum, but I want Pike in round 2 (if he makes it). I know he's not a big name, but after I randomly watched the first game against Rutgers, I made a point to watch as many Cinci games as I can, and I love the guy. I'm not expecting first year magic with him, but I really believe he's a guy that will make it in the league and be a threat.

IMHO, a good coach (yes, we need new coaches...obviously) can build a damn good offense with those two guys added to the current roster. It will take time to get a rookie LT and QB up to their peak, but I think all the pieces will be there.

Other needs, in order:

OLB

DE

DT

OLB is a need now. We NEED a dominate DE. Maybe Maybin can become one, maybe not. But right now, we don't have it...and we need it.

Sooner or later we'll need to address a shallow position with an aging Stroud. But even though though it's a talented draft, I think is the lowest "need" position.

BTW, if we pick late enough that we miss out on Okung and Williams, all bets are off. I don't think there are other LT's out there that will be much better than Bell, at least for a couple years. But there will be some good DT and OLB's available in the 8-15 range.

Another option (not one that I endorse, just a "for fun" thought) would be to give up picks and draft to make the switch to a 3-4. Pick up Cody early and then trade what's needed to get back into the first and pick up Brandon Spikes. Williams - Cody - Stroud with Mitchell - Poz - Spikes - Maybin? Could be a hell of defense!

I agree that this list accurately reflects our four greatest needs (although I might disagree with the order in which they are listed). I would add, however, that I am absolutely opposed to drafting a QB in round 1 regardless of the need. The bust potential is just too great and the high number of quality QB's that have been found in the later rounds (and free agency) suggests that a round 1 QB pick is too risky and unnecessary, especially with this team's other crying needs. I was hoping the team would use a late-round pick on a QB last year, but I guess you can never have too many DBs.

I would normally agree with you but the recent 1st round QBs have worked out well...Plus some of the better QBs in the league are former 1st rounders...

P. Manning

E . Manning

J. Cutler

B. Rothlisberger

M. Ryan

J. Flacco

A Rodgers

D. McNabb

C. Palmer

P. Rivers

T. Edwards is a 3rd rounder and is a bust.

I know, I know, Jemarcus Russell...Ryan Leaf etc...

I think I will take my chances with round one though....trusting the Bills front office to select the right guy though is a whole other story...

Completely agree! Personally I'd love to see Tebo in a Bills uni! He's big, tuff, smart, and most of all, he's a winner. I think his skill set will translate most successfully to the NFL, more so than any other QB in the draft...Here's a target on my back...again! :thumbsup:

I would normally agree with you but the recent 1st round QBs have worked out well...Plus some of the better QBs in the league are former 1st rounders...

P. Manning

E . Manning

J. Cutler

B. Rothlisberger

M. Ryan

J. Flacco

A Rodgers

D. McNabb

C. Palmer

P. Rivers

T. Edwards is a 3rd rounder and is a bust.

I know, I know, Jemarcus Russell...Ryan Leaf etc...

I think I will take my chances with round one though....trusting the Bills front office to select the right guy though is a whole other story...

As I think you acknowledge, we could make a much longer list of first round QB BUSTS in recent years. To name just a few that spring to ming: Akili Smith, J. Harrington, T. Couch, JP Losman, J. Campbell, P. Ramsey, M. Leinart, V. Young, J. Russell, D. Carr, B. Quinn, R. Grossman, R. Leaf, and on and on and on. Heck, I could make a long list of second round busts, too, including about 4 drafted by the Dolphins alone. On the other hand, it would be easy to make a substantial list of very good QBs in recent years who were drafted late, or not drafted at all: Brady, Romo, Warner, Garcia, Delhomme (his past 8 games notwithstanding), Orton, Bulger, Schaub, Matt Hasselback. The bottom line is that there is very little correlation between the round in which a QB is drafted and ultimate NFL sucess. It may be that the best strategy is to draft a late round QB almost every year and hope that one of them works out. The one thing we know you shouldn't do is trade up to draft a QB in round one.

As I think you acknowledge, we could make a much longer list of first round QB BUSTS in recent years. To name just a few that spring to ming: Akili Smith, J. Harrington, T. Couch, JP Losman, J. Campbell, P. Ramsey, M. Leinart, V. Young, J. Russell, D. Carr, B. Quinn, R. Grossman, R. Leaf, and on and on and on. Heck, I could make a long list of second round busts, too, including about 4 drafted by the Dolphins alone. On the other hand, it would be easy to make a substantial list of very good QBs in recent years who were drafted late, or not drafted at all: Brady, Romo, Warner, Garcia, Delhomme (his past 8 games notwithstanding), Orton, Bulger, Schaub, Matt Hasselback. The bottom line is that there is very little correlation between the round in which a QB is drafted and ultimate NFL sucess. It may be that the best strategy is to draft a late round QB almost every year and hope that one of them works out. The one thing we know you shouldn't do is trade up to draft a QB in round one.

ND homer I am. But in all seriousness, how can you call Quinn a bust from his time in Cleveland? Their decision to keep him on the bench is CLEARLY a financial decision. If he takes 70% or more of the snaps this year it earns him an extra $11 million. Do you really think that they believe Anderson is a better option with the performances he's had? Gimme a break. The owner has pulled Mangini aside and told him to play Anderson. Quinn will go somewhere else and be a good QB. Cleveland is putrid right now and lacks talent on offense something terrible. He'll be thanking the Lord above when he gets his ticket out of town. Then he will go to a real team and succeed. Write it down, take a picture, but just remember that I said it. I hope he gets a shot in Buffalo.

ND homer I am. But in all seriousness, how can you call Quinn a bust from his time in Cleveland? Their decision to keep him on the bench is CLEARLY a financial decision. If he takes 70% or more of the snaps this year it earns him an extra $11 million. Do you really think that they believe Anderson is a better option with the performances he's had? Gimme a break. The owner has pulled Mangini aside and told him to play Anderson. Quinn will go somewhere else and be a good QB. Cleveland is putrid right now and lacks talent on offense something terrible. He'll be thanking the Lord above when he gets his ticket out of town. Then he will go to a real team and succeed. Write it down, take a picture, but just remember that I said it. I hope he gets a shot in Buffalo.

I did not know that about Quinn's contract; I assumed he was playing behind D. Anderson because the Browns had no confidence in him.

Point well taken.....high-in-sight is 20/ 20 and I guess it is easy to play monday Morning QB after certain players don't work out.

I hope their luck will change soon, and they will land a capable QB. Edwards, Losman and the rest of the bums they have had in here certainly have been a waste of time and an embarrassment to this this once proud organization and its former greats. Especially being the 50th anniversary of the team.

We will never be a playoff or Super Bowl-caliber team until we hit on a franchise QB in the draft. If I were the Bills, I'd use my first round pick on a QB every year until you have that "franchise QB" (well, maybe not, but you get the drift). A team is only as good as its QB.

If you look at the Bills right now, we may as well has drafted one in the first round in the past few years. Maybin rarely sees the field, Mckelvin, and Whitner are out. Lynch was out the first 3 games. What harm could it have done to draft QBs instead? So they don't play? How's that any different than what's going on now? You would think even the Bills couldn't screw up 4 first round tries at a QB? :thumbsup:

If you look at the Bills right now, we may as well has drafted one in the first round in the past few years. Maybin rarely sees the field, Mckelvin, and Whitner are out. Lynch was out the first 3 games. What harm could it have done to draft QBs instead? So they don't play? How's that any different than what's going on now? You would think even the Bills couldn't screw up 4 first round tries at a QB? :thumbsup:

I totally agree with you.....with the exception to Eric Wood....

Winning starts with a good QB...(stating the obvious)

i think we should draft a qb round 2 or 3. we should get a starter ready LB in the draft and sign one. we should sign an OT and draft at least one (i'd get one in the first round if he's ready to start, seems like every draft is full of round 1 starting LTs). With butler coming back and bell posibly becoming an NFL player, i wouldn't spend a 3rd on a guy who is equal to either of them, either a later pick for a back up/project or an early one for a sure fire upgrade.

we will be able to sign a DT or draft one, i'll go either way on that.

qb and offensive coach (if dicky stays) is the biggest need. either trent needs to step up, or we are getting a new QB. i want a vet, mcnabb might get cut.

That really is a great point. Also consider guys like Flowers, Mike Williams, McGahee-- all wasted 1st round picks. If you're not getting any value out of your 1st round picks anyway, why not take the gamble on a QB?

Seriously, you need a guy like Manning, Rivers, Rothlesberger to win in this league. Picking up a stop-gap vet isn't going to work if your goal is to win a Super Bowl.