Lost in the QB euphoria

GG

Two minutes to go, ball at the 30, swirling wind facing your kicker - so what do you do?

Try moving the ball closer to give your kicker a better shot, or run 3 times to gain 1 yd?

Yes, I know that a pass is more risky, but you run the same risk by missing the long FG and giving the opponent life in overtime.

Luckily for Jauron, he ran into a worse coach yesterday.

Two minutes to go, ball at the 30, swirling wind facing your kicker - so what do you do?

Try moving the ball closer to give your kicker a better shot, or run 3 times to gain 1 yd?

Yes, I know that a pass is more risky, but you run the same risk by missing the long FG and giving the opponent life in overtime.

There is no way Ryan is worse than Jauron. Just watch him. He yells and yells and yells. Jauron never yells.

Of course, I thought that. If the Bills had lost that game - and they would have had that holding call on Hartsock in OT not been called - that's all people would be talking about.

I can see Jauron's side. That strategy did work pretty well against Cleveland last year.

:w00t:

Thank you ... and you weren't the only one asking that. My reply to Catalana right after it happened:

@LoriTBD Same call at the end of Browns MNF game. Didn't work then, either. @MikeCatalana Why didn't the Bills try to get it closer for Lindell?

They picked up that big first down with about 1:20 left and a TO in their pocket. Then proceeded to only run 1 play after that. One play. For a 2 yard loss. Unbelievable.

And how about near the end of the first half? They picked up a first down outside their 20 when Owens was pushed OB with 2:16 left. With the clock stopped while the officials set the ball they didn't even try to get a first down play off before the 2minute warning. My wife has more balls than this staff. :unsure:

At the end of regulation, didn't the Bills still have one timeout when they let the clock run down from 26 seconds to attempt a field goal on second down? At least run another play... unless you're worried that they'd go offsides or lose yards like they did on the previous one. If they were willing to throw it, they could've run two plays. I guess they thought that a long Lindell field goal attempt into the wind was money in the bank.

Time management is not a Dick Jauron strong point.

Yeah, then Fitz throws a pick instead of missed field goal and your post today would have been on why didn't DJ try a field goal instead.

Yeah, then Fitz throws a pick instead of missed field goal and your post today would have been on why didn't DJ try a field goal instead.

Um no. Most people on this board clearly remember MNF game vs Cleveland.

Most people get the concept that Jauron manages the game with the intent of attempting a FG takes priority over getting closer, even if that means the FG attempt is on the long side.

Um no. Most people on this board clearly remember MNF game vs Cleveland.

Most people get the concept that Jauron manages the game with the intent of attempting a FG takes priority over getting closer, even if that means the FG attempt is on the long side.

DJ's been doing this for several seasons and it's not getting his teams beyond mediocre. To think some fans figured he'd change to keep his job.

At the end of regulation, didn't the Bills still have one timeout when they let the clock run down from 26 seconds to attempt a field goal on second down? At least run another play... unless you're worried that they'd go offsides or lose yards like they did on the previous one. If they were willing to throw it, they could've run two plays. I guess they thought that a long Lindell field goal attempt into the wind was money in the bank.

Time management is not a Dick Jauron strong point.

Do we know what that strong point is yet? :unsure:

Nothing says "I like my guys" more than not letting them play the game because you think they will screw up.

OTOH, this is the same coach that had JP Losman, of all QBs, execute a roll-out before the 2 minute warning last year against the Jets.

Players, not plays. Jauron, the mauron.

I don't know if it is Jauron or AVP, I tend to lean towards Jauron. He has established himself as being so risk adverse that we become extreemly predictable.

Watching the Falcons later in the evening I could not get over how much better the coaching and time management for other teams seem to be. Everyone on the same page, even with Mularky calling offensive plays:)

Chicago looked like a version of us, but with a real QB. I swear they tried to run on every first down, even when it was obvious that Atlanta was loading the box.

The crazy part is, 3 straight runs would have been the conservative play. Jauron decided the conservative mode was too risky, so he kicked it on second down. With Kris Jenkins out of the game, Jauron thought more bad could come of running 2 plays than good. :unsure::wallbash: :wallbash:

I too noticed it. After the first down play there was 31 seconds left. If nothing else run into the line again and may be you get a few yards closer. But no, we sit on it. Didin't the Clowns game last year team him anything? A 47 yarder on a windy night is no gimme. Luckily this time we go the W anyway.

Also, all current OT format haters notice this. The team that did not win the toss won the game. And offense, defense, and special teams all came into play in the outcome. Current system is fine. We won because we didn't fail in any of these like the Jets did, therefore we won.

No, because the only catastrophic INT would be a sideline quick out pass that is returned for a TD, which you obviously don't call. A normal course INT would still be ok because Jets had no TOs left and would need to throw the ball from deep inside their zone. Those circumstances should give you enough reasons to throw a pass or two to get your kicker closer.