I'm still a fan, but I don't care any more

damj

I'm not going to run off at the mouth foaming saying "I'm done with being a fan" ... it's worse ... I just don't care any more.

Yes, I will still watch the games because they're western New York's team and it's what we do and we've we had great memories in the past.

Yes, I'll still go to the games because I bought my tickets.

Yes, I'll still listen to the radio because I'm still searching for hope.

Yes, I'll still read about the team in the Buffalo News because I'm looking for a silver lining in the storm clouds that surround this team.

Yes, I'll still post on this board because I like making DC Tom's life miserable.

But bottom line is that I don't care any more.

Why?

A head coach who after proving he isn't good enough with 3 consecutive 7-9 seasons, gets rewarded with a contract extension.

Assistant coaches who consistenly fail to develop and improve players.

A general manager who is not a football guy and makes decisions based on generating PR and cutting costs.

A pro personnel director who consistenly fails to bring in free agents to improve this team.

A QB who whether through his own inclination or by coaching, is afraid to throw the ball more than 5 yards.

Keeping several players who only play special teams and do not contribute on offense or defense.

Going into the season with no depth at many positions.

Poor game management and decision making costing wins.

No passion from the coach down through the players.

Recognizing that some players are inadequate, and making no effort to improve there.

Too many players on this team who would fail to make the rosters on most other teams in the league.

Being sold "hope" year in and year out, without substantial changes being made.

Consistently hiring on the cheap with one failed coach after another.

Watching other teams every year rebuild and compete and we fail to improve.

More passion from former players than some of the current ones.

Hoping to see them lose because I think that it's the only way to make changes that will get us better.

An owner who allows all this to happen.

Call it "Band Wagon Jumping" if you want, but I am still a Bills fan, and I am still going to watch ... but don't expect me to care anymore. This team just sucks the life out of you. I don't care about winning and losing as much as I do being entertained, and it's not even fun to watch any more. I've been a life long fan, and I still am ... but just don't expect me to care any more.

Yes it'll be nice if they win a game, or 2 ... or more ... but until things change, it'll just be a false hope to set you up for more disappointment as it has been year after year ... after year.

I can't say that I blame you. I don't consider anyone a 'bandwagon jumper' who is still here after the sh** sandwich the Bills have served the fanbase this decade. Myself, I have absolutely nothing invested in this 2009 team. The front office made it pretty damn clear at the end of last season that they just don't care. If they don't care, why should I? Maybe they'll get their act together eventually, and maybe my attitude will change when it does, but at this point in my life, I have better things to do than get emotionally invested in this crap anymore.

After cooling down a little after watching our practice squad O-line and Secondary yesterday I've come to the conclusion that Ralph and the front office is to blame for this crap we get to watch every Sunday. What's so frustrating is that the only thing we can really do as fans is stop buying tickets and merchandise to show that we won't support this. For Bills fans this is the hardest thing to do. It's a lose-lose situation we are in, if we keep buying tickets and merchandise nothing changes. If we stop buying, we risk the team staying in Buffalo.

There is some upside, Ralph isn't going to be the owner much longer. He has brought us great memories but sometimes you need to cut your losses. He's in the hall of fame, it's too bad he doesn't have a Super Bowl Championship to his credit. But he needs to realize the way things are going now, he's never going to get one. Step down Ralph, let someone else take over. This team needs to clean house from top to bottom, the Fins did it, the Jets and Broncos are doing it, Arizona came a drive away from winning the Superbowl, and these are just examples from the last year or so. We haven't been able to do it in the past 10 years. The one constant factor that has remained through those 10 years, Ralph Wilson.

But the burning question is .... will you buy them for next season?

Probably not ... with my daughter having sunday swim meets and my son playing hockey ... is it worth jugging my life around to go and watch this? Not any more ... and that's what TiVO is for.

I can't say that I blame you. I don't consider anyone a 'bandwagon jumper' who is still here after the sh** sandwich the Bills have served the fanbase this decade. Myself, I have absolutely nothing invested in this 2009 team. The front office made it pretty damn clear at the end of last season that they just don't care. If they don't care, why should I? Maybe they'll get their act together eventually, and maybe my attitude will change when it does, but at this point in my life, I have better things to do than get emotionally invested in this crap anymore.

Well said ... a Bills fan is no longer what I am .. it's what I do.

After cooling down a little after watching our practice squad O-line and Secondary yesterday I've come to the conclusion that Ralph and the front office is to blame for this crap we get to watch every Sunday. What's so frustrating is that the only thing we can really do as fans is stop buying tickets and merchandise to show that we won't support this. For Bills fans this is the hardest thing to do. It's a lose-lose situation we are in, if we keep buying tickets and merchandise nothing changes. If we stop buying, we risk the team staying in Buffalo.

There is some upside, Ralph isn't going to be the owner much longer. He has brought us great memories but sometimes you need to cut your losses. He's in the hall of fame, it's too bad he doesn't have a Super Bowl Championship to his credit. But he needs to realize the way things are going now, he's never going to get one. Step down Ralph, let someone else take over. This team needs to clean house from top to bottom, the Fins did it, the Jets and Broncos are doing it, Arizona came a drive away from winning the Superbowl, and these are just examples from the last year or so. We haven't been able to do it in the past 10 years. The one constant factor that has remained through those 10 years, Ralph Wilson.

Yes, it seems like the fans have more commitment to this team than the owner. It's a catch-22 ... we're buying tickets and Ralph's making money, so he's happy. If we don't, then he won't move the team, but the next owner probably would ... life's too short for this soap opera.

i dont blame you damj. i still have the games penciled on my schedule, but from now on, if something better comes up (than going to the bar and wasting money on this mess) i'll probably go do that instead.

if the owner doesnt care, and the coach doesnt care, and the players dont care (which is EVIDENT in their showing yesterday), than why should we care??

I am with you all.

I cheer for the Bills but have no expectations. As an NFL franchise they have never finished better than second best.

I would assume RW has assured his heirs will have all the money they need (and more), regardless of what happensto the Bills. How can he NOT be sinking every penny he can squeeze into winning the championship ring?

I am not saying he should do it for the fans. It is his money and his team.

I am saying if he gives a rats ass at all, he would be CRAVING a SB ring, since he cannot take the money with him. If that is not his goal, why does he own a team?

New motto:

Buffalo Bills: We make sucky teams look good!

I'm not going to run off at the mouth foaming saying "I'm done with being a fan" ... it's worse ... I just don't care any more.

Call it "Band Wagon Jumping" if you want, but I am still a Bills fan, and I am still going to watch ... but don't expect me to care anymore. This team just sucks the life out of you. I don't care about winning and losing as much as I do being entertained, and it's not even fun to watch any more. I've been a life long fan, and I still am ... but just don't expect me to care any more.

Yes it'll be nice if they win a game, or 2 ... or more ... but until things change, it'll just be a false hope to set you up for more disappointment as it has been year after year ... after year.

Honestly, this is how I felt since the Dallas Monday Night game.....that was the last loss that truely hurt me....I've been a Bills fan since 1988...I guess I was lucky to grow up during the Bills glory years....but in that time I suffered through many tough losses, and took them hard. I also remember looking foward to the game each week, but that same anticipation just isn't there anymore. At 5-1 last year, I started to feel good about being a Bills fan again only to have them slam the door in my face once again.

I'll continue to watch the games...(haven't missed one since 1995)...but more out of the enjoyment I get from meeting up with my friends to watch the Bills and talk football than from the Bills themselves.

Yes, I will still watch the games because they're western New York's team and it's what we do and we've we had great memories in the past.

Yes, I'll still read about the team in the Buffalo News because I'm looking for a silver lining in the storm clouds that surround this team.

Yes, I'll still post on this board because I like making DC Tom's life miserable.

Why?

A head coach who after proving he isn't good enough with 3 consecutive 7-9 seasons, gets rewarded with a contract extension.

A general manager who is not a football guy and makes decisions based on generating PR and cutting costs.

A pro personnel director who consistenly fails to bring in free agents to improve this team.

A QB who whether through his own inclination or by coaching, is afraid to throw the ball more than 5 yards.

Keeping several players who only play special teams and do not contribute on offense or defense.

Recognizing that some players are inadequate, and making no effort to improve there.

Too many players on this team who would fail to make the rosters on most other teams in the league.

Hoping to see them lose because I think that it's the only way to make changes that will get us better.

This makes RW's job easy. Don’t care but still buy tix and watch on TV. Revenue keeps coming in while they can keep costs down with mediocre talent and results. Until this situation begins to seriously impact Bills revenues, I cynically believe no changes will be made. Essentially time and money given to the Bills is a vote that you accept the situation as it is. Understand being a fan means still wanting to see what happened hoping for good news, but I just don’t know of any other way to get attention.

My Belief:

The organization needs to find someone ANYONE, a coach, GM, owner, QB, Tight end, kicker ANYONE, that needs to win paycheck or no paycheck. Someone that gets mad at being a well paid loser that becomes furious living in mediocrity. Maybe some kind of winning attitude could catalyze around just one of those guys with the right leadership.

TE has the physical ability but no mental toughness.

DJ is a nice guy but firmly believes his job is to prepare for games not win them.

The whole front office just keeps the balance sheet clean.

Nobody has the fire and desire to win enough to fight out of this spiral. The last Bill I remember like that was Takeo.

This makes RW's job easy. Don’t care but still buy tix and watch on TV. Revenue keeps coming in while they can keep costs down with mediocre talent and results. Until this situation begins to seriously impact Bills revenues, I cynically believe no changes will be made. Essentially time and money given to the Bills is a vote that you accept the situation as it is. Understand being a fan means still wanting to see what happened hoping for good news, but I just don’t know of any other way to get attention.

The problem is that in today's NFL ... Buffalo can barely survive, so if attendence drops off and Ralph dies, the new owner is moving the team. It's a catch-22

Why?

Yup, I fully agree. I've been a life long fan, and was a season ticket holder for 13 years. I gave them up 3 seasons ago, because I was tired of not seeing a team that was not trying, and not being helped. I too don't care anymore. And I will still watch, but if I see them getting whomped, I'll go do something else. Or watch some other game. I'm tired of getting my blood pressure up for these guys. They're only in it for the money, but it's not mine anymore

I am with you all.

I cheer for the Bills but have no expectations. As an NFL franchise they have never finished better than second best.

I would assume RW has assured his heirs will have all the money they need (and more), regardless of what happensto the Bills. How can he NOT be sinking every penny he can squeeze into winning the championship ring?

I am saying if he gives a rats ass at all, he would be CRAVING a SB ring, since he cannot take the money with him. If that is not his goal, why does he own a team?

New motto:

all i can assume is that if ralph follows the same philosophy on estate planning as he does on picking coaches, he chose an attorney from the back of the phone book who's given him a 100% chance of not losing more than 57% of the money they should be able to keep.

How hard can it be to watch Jauron and realize that he sucks?!? Yet he's still here ...

I like how every other game you see on TV they show the coach on the sidelines going over the Polaroids with the Defense, and QBs, you know strategizing and making adjustments. Have you ever seen this happening with Jauron?

I am with you all.

New motto:

I agree with you on why does RW own the team if he doesn't want to win a SB before he goes. But the fact is he never has been that worried about winning a SB all his life. Why let Polian go just because he was abrasive towards RW's daughter and some others if you really want to win a SB. Why let AJ Smith go and say well he is just a personnel guy.

If RW keeps the team profitable with low salaries, etc. it may be worth another $100 million to his heirs when the team is sold and that seems to be his motivation at this point. He wants $800 million for his heirs instead of $700 million. Also, RW may realize (as we all should) that this team is years away from making a serious SB run and he might not be around that long anyway. Actually none of us may be around long enough to see the Bills win a SB.

I experienced an emotional disconnect with this team a couple seasons ago. Realized this when it just didn't hurt anymore when they lost. It really is hard to get behind a team when you know management either incompetent or just indifferent. It's obvious to me that Ralph has no pride or dignity. If he did he would be more aggressive getting good management to organize his company. It's just hopeless with him in charge. Only good hire he ever did was Chuck Knox. I think he kinda lucked out with Levy. Even he had a losing record when he got hired! This season I called DTV fully intending to cancel Sunday Ticket. If they didn't give me $150 off and SuperFan for free I certainly would have cancelled. Hockey season started when I saw the same ole same ole vs the Saints. Reinforced with that mess Sunday. I'll back the Sharks because at least thier management tries. Sure they have had playoff disappointments but they never stop hiring FA's or making staff changes to TRY to make them better. When a organization does that they at least are in the game. Bills couldn't be farther out of the game.

I experienced an emotional disconnect with this team a couple seasons ago. Realized this when it just didn't hurt anymore when they lost. It really is hard to get behind a team when you know management either incompetent or just indifferent. It's obvious to me that Ralph has no pride or dignity. If he did he would be more aggressive getting good management to organize his company. It's just hopeless with him in charge. Only good hire he ever did was Chuck Knox. I think he kinda lucked out with Levy. Even he had a losing record when he got hired! This season I called DTV fully intending to cancel Sunday Ticket. If they didn't give me $150 off and SuperFan for free I certainly would have cancelled. Hockey season started when I saw the same ole same ole vs the Saints. Reinforced with that mess Sunday. I'll back the Sharks because at least thier management tries. Sure they have had playoff disappointments but they never stop hiring FA's or making staff changes to TRY to make them better. When a organization does that they at least are in the game. Bills couldn't be farther out of the game.

Can not argue with a word you said. I have season tickets & told my wife I am not going to the game this week. She was shocked. I am not going to make a statement or send a message. I just am tired of watching this sorry excuse of a football organization. I watch other games(I have the NFL ticket) & see teams flying around, chest bumping, making plays, being excited, trying to win a game. This team is just so emotionless & boring. I guess they really took on the personality of the skeletor. I turned the game off at halftime & put on the Jets/saints game last week.

Can not argue with a word you said. I have season tickets & told my wife I am not going to the game this week. She was shocked. I am not going to make a statement or send a message. I just am tired of watching this sorry excuse of a football organization. I watch other games(I have the NFL ticket) & see teams flying around, chest bumping, making plays, being excited, trying to win a game. This team is just so emotionless & boring. I guess they really took on the personality of the skeletor. I turned the game off at halftime & put on the Jets/saints game last week.

I'm waiting for the time when I see Dick yelling at someone on the sidelines. Get the feeling that isn't going to happen.