Best hot dogs

nuklz2594

I know this thread belongs in "Off the Wall", but this is just a great, great thread. SO Upstate New York.

Brings up a lot of rivalries between my Liverpool-based cousins and myself from 40 years ago. Being a Rochester guy, there's no question. Zweigle's. The rest of you should just back off. Heid's? Hoffman's? Nice, and all, but it's like the Amerks and 'Crunch'. Who the hell names their hockey team the 'Crunch'? Probably the same city that can't make a hot dog worth a schit.

Nice, and all, but it's like the Amerks and 'Crunch'. Who the hell names their hockey team the 'Crunch'? Probably the same city that can't make a hot dog worth a schit.

Nestle was the original sponsor of the Crunch, when they still had a factory in Fulton, hence the name.

Oh, and by the way, if you like salt potatoes, you're welcome, another Syracuse culinary invention.

Zweigles for White Hots - hands down!

Regular hot dogs or Italian Sausage - Ted's

By the way, if you ever end up Rochester, Zweigles gives great discounts for bulk purchases. My wife and I picked up 50 pounds of Red and White Hots (pop opens) and drove them back to Minneapolis. They were wonderful and had the order ready in advance. Plus, the deli attached to their store is worth the drive alone.

Zweigel's are awesome. I prefer the white hots. But Sahlen's makes the best true hot dog. Zweigel's are more of a "wurst" than a hot dog. Wardynski's are very good too. FYI: Ted's grills Sahlen's dogs.

PTR

How can you say that (red). :(

When Red Hot Chicago: 1893 is the original... Actually invented the hot dog.

After all... 1893 is the year of Chicago's Columbian Expo... From Wiki:

Anton Ludwig Feuchtwanger, a Bavarian sausage seller, is said to have served sausages in rolls at the World's Fair – either the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago or the 1904 Louisiana Purchase Exposition in St Louis – again allegedly because the white gloves he gave to customers so that they could eat his hot sausages in comfort began to disappear as souvenirs

Sahlen's is "smokehouse." You don't smoke a hot dog!!

What you said is like saying Anchor Bar's wings are not true wings.

:lol::lol:

Zweigels white (skinless). The skin on the pops is nasty.

Otherwise, Nathans.

You don't boil a hot dog that has a natural casing. :lol:

Russers is what I grew up with and knew as the best.

They went out of business - I think Arpeko or Tobins bought them out and killed the brand.

Zweigels are what I got used to but Wegmans doesn't stock them regularly here in Princeton, so I've tried the Hoffmans and I actually prefer them now. FWIW.

The Hatch @ Erie Basin Marina.

My sisters used to work there and at the Aud Club in the winter. The seagulls are absolute psycho! At Navy Pier the seagulls aren't a problem because they spray pheromones on Dime Pier (that is the old pilings/pier between Navy and the Harbor controlling lock)... Seems the seagulls will only spend time there... And not bothering the tourists... :lol:;):lol:

Oh... They use Sahlens at The Hatch... :(

My sisters used to work there and at the Aud Club in the winter. The seagulls are absolute psycho! At Navy Pier the seagulls aren't a problem because they spray pheromones on Dime Pier (that is the old pilings/pier between Navy and the Harbor controlling lock)... Seems the seagulls will only spend time there... And not bothering the tourists... ;):wub::lol:

Oh... They use Sahlens at The Hatch... :lol:

the reason the seagulls are psycho is the hot dogs - yes, they're that good. :(

They went out of business - I think Arpeko or Tobins bought them out and killed the brand.

Zweigels are what I got used to but Wegmans doesn't stock them regularly here in Princeton, so I've tried the Hoffmans and I actually prefer them now. FWIW.

Exactly. That's why skinless is even the best! There is no better way then boiling them in "dirty water." :(

the reason the seagulls are psycho is the hot dogs - yes, they're that good. ;)

:(:lol:

But really... The pheromone thing does the trick! :lol: I hate seagulls... You know all thos yellow station numbers on BFLO's breakwaters and on the Black Rock Channel??... I painted them (even know they are fast fading because of GPS tech)! One would have to go out there and wear foul weather gear and a hard hat... Especially when the rats of the sky were nesting!

:(:lol:

But really... The pheromone thing does the trick! :lol: I hate seagulls... You know all thos yellow station numbers on BFLO's breakwaters and on the Black Rock Channel??... I painted them (even know they are fast fading because of GPS tech)! One would have to go out there and wear foul weather gear and a hard hat... Especially when the rats of the sky were nesting!

you were with the ACOE? did you know chip butler?

ditto on the seagulls - hate 'em. freakin' flying rats, they are - especially when they swoop down and steal food out of my picnic basket.

Nothing beats an all beef dog Chicago style.

In line of order since Best's went out:

1. Red Hot Chicago

2. Vienna Beef

Nothing beats a Chicago style dog! They are the best. Steamed and delicious.

My favorite is Superdawg, even though I believe they are not all beef Vienna, but

still awesome. They do all the Chicago dog fixins, just not Vienna. Great fries too.

Any authentic Vienna beef Chicago style dog is awesome for the most part.

Exactly. That's why skinless is even the best! There is no better way then boiling them in "dirty water." :lol:

You "ain't" right.

things you do not do:

1. You do not cook pasta with pickle juice

2. You do not "boil" real hot dogs. You boil crap like Oscar Mayer or Ball Park.

Edited by Cynical

you were with the ACOE? did you know chip butler?

ditto on the seagulls - hate 'em. freakin' flying rats, they are - especially when they swoop down and steal food out of my picnic basket.

See... Pheromones is where it is at! :lol:

Yes... Still with them today... I bounced to Black Rock Lock and then to the MidWest. The name doesn't ring a bell though. I started off in hydrographic survey... Worked with the "hand" or manual crew for a little while... We basically sounded the harbors the way they did in the old days (rowboat, sextant, tagline, and leadline)... Constructed the baseline with transit, level, rod and chain)... GPS has done a way with all that... In the old, old days... I think there would be one or two full crews that would work a harbor like BFLO all season long... Amazing what computers can do now!!!

Okay... Back to hot dogs! How 'bout them Lions... Given' Da Bears a run for their money!!!

Nothing beats a Chicago style dog! They are the best. Steamed and delicious.

My favorite is Superdawg, even though I believe they are not all beef Vienna, but

still awesome. They do all the Chicago dog fixins, just not Vienna. Great fries too.

Any authentic Vienna beef Chicago style dog is awesome for the most part.

Superdawg is great... Still have the car hops... I bit congested at times on that freakin' north side :lol::( , but a thrill... Expensive too... My son's favorite place!

Superdawg is great... Still have the car hops... I bit congested at times on that freakin' north side :lol::( , but a thrill... Expensive too... My son's favorite place!

Love the hot dog statues on top of the building. Haven't been in awhile, would love to make the trip to

Chicago some time and take my kids to Supedawg.

Do you know of any good mail-order Chicago style dogs?

Yes... Still with them today... I bounced to Black Rock Lock and then to the MidWest. The name doesn't ring a bell though. I started off in hydrographic survey... Worked with the "hand" or manual crew for a little while... We basically sounded the harbors the way they did in the old days (rowboat, sextant, tagline, and leadline)... Constructed the baseline with transit, level, rod and chain)... GPS has done a way with all that... In the old, old days... I think there would be one or two full crews that would work a harbor like BFLO all season long... Amazing what computers can do now!!!

So I have you to blame if I run aground out there? :(

Seriously though, that had to be interesting - no, fascinating work - hard work, I'm sure, but you must have enjoyed it immensely.

(But I'll now be thinking of you and that Patrick Kane 'pissing contest' every time I'm out there on the water. :lol: )

So I have you to blame if I run aground out there? :lol:

Blame Reagan! He contracted out all the dedge ops in the early 1980's... Then a couple of years later in the 1980's, with no in-house gov't competition... Contracts shot up by 300%... :(

So blame no gov't... They used to keep things open nicely... BFLO was the center for Great Lakes dredge ops with nice hopper dredges like the Markham and Lyman.

Again... Don't blame me or the Harbors of Refuge act. You get what you pay for. :lol:

Blame Reagan! He contracted out all the dedge ops in the early 1980's... Then a couple of years later in the 1980's, with no in-house gov't competition... Contracts shot up by 300%... :lol:

So blame no gov't... They used to keep things open nicely... BFLO was the center for Great Lakes dredge ops with nice hopper dredges like the Markham and Lyman.

Again... Don't blame me or the Harbors of Refuge act. You get what you pay for. :(

Touche.

But the ice boom...I can still blame you guys for the ice boom, no?

I don't boil 'em.