Football Night in America

BuffaloWings

I don't know if anyone else feels the same, but it seems to me that the Sunday evening highlights show just went straight down the toilet once NBC took over. I watched my recording of Sunday's show last night and they breezed through the actual highlights, showing 2 or 3 plays per game. I think they even covered 7 games in the first five minutes of highlights.

I realize they were probably trying to interview every Dallas Cowboy on earth as it was national Dallas Cowboys day with the opening of their new "facility", but this was beyond ridiculous. In the 75 minutes of the show, I think 15 was actual highlights of the games.

As much as E$SPN is hated (for legitimate reasons), I really do miss their Primetime show. They wouldn't just show the scoring plays, but dive into the crucial, non-scoring plays that were game-affecting. They just did a better job with all of it than NBC has ever done. Besides, we can only take so much of Olbermann & Patrick anymore.

I don't know if anyone else feels the same, but it seems to me that the Sunday evening highlights show just went straight down the toilet once NBC took over. I watched my recording of Sunday's show last night and they breezed through the actual highlights, showing 2 or 3 plays per game. I think they even covered 7 games in the first five minutes of highlights.

I realize they were probably trying to interview every Dallas Cowboy on earth as it was national Dallas Cowboys day with the opening of their new "facility", but this was beyond ridiculous. In the 75 minutes of the show, I think 15 was actual highlights of the games.

As much as E$SPN is hated (for legitimate reasons), I really do miss their Primetime show. They wouldn't just show the scoring plays, but dive into the crucial, non-scoring plays that were game-affecting. They just did a better job with all of it than NBC has ever done. Besides, we can only take so much of Olbermann & Patrick anymore.

Agreed Primetime was a much better highlight show than NBC provides. Too Bad the NFL controls this stuff or we could have competing highlight shows. In the past couldnt wait to see primetime for highlights of many of the games now its a disappointment at best

Thank you for posting this, and altho i wholeheartedly agree, im not surprised. "Football Night In America" is now in what? its 3'rd season? 4th? i hate that show. i don't like the analysts, i don't like the backround, theres nothing i like. I used to love the team of Chris Burman who is obviously amazing at what he does, and Tom Jackson who knows so much depth and detail about the game. Both were just freaking awesome. And the music? Just was a great show. "And he's bummbling! and he's rummbling! and he's stummbling! and wait!.....WOOOOP!! Da Ball comes out and it's Buffalo's Ball!" no i do anything but watch FNIA. i always wait monday morning and watch it on "the score" or "tsn".

Just record the Sunday night sportscenter and fast-forward to "The Blitz" sections. While not as detailed as Prime Time used to be it's still much better than the NBC show.

That's what I've been doing. NBC is becoming all about their analysts and not the game.

As for the "fastest 3 minutes", I'm thinking they're only picking the high-profile games to give the highlights of. I mean, they can't possibly cover all 15 games in that amount of time, can they? :thumbsup:

Football Night in America was one of those little footnotes/Oh By The Way's that did not get full publicity it should have when the NFL and NBC announced their partnership. One of the requirements NBC had was to basically own the Sunday afternoon/evening NFL end to end highlight show until 12:00AM the following Monday morning. This is why ESPN filters in to SPORTSCENTER the NFL Blitz. Football night in America is subpar and not on the level of Primetime

After thoroughly enjoying years of "NFL PrimeTime," it is not even possible to stomach "Football Night In America." Admittedly, I can't stand Olbermann (and before it starts, let me say I couldn't stand him BEFORE his show on MSNBC). There is no real analysis of anything...just a bunch of dudes sitting around getting a kick out of listening to themselves blather. You know it's bad when you won't even watch it after a Bills win.

I agree with the general masses above.

Olbermann and Patrick have completely lost their 90's chemistry. They don't even seem attuned to the fact they're on camera. Patrick wears far too much make up too, but thats a ticky-tack criticism on my part.

Too many talking heads in one broadcast. Patrick, Olbermann, Costas, Tiki Barber, Collinsworth et cetera. NFL Primetime was the standard bearer, hands down.

Whats unfortunate is the complete lack of any posi Bills highlights in any montage Sunday or Monday night. Sure, Bills v Bucs is not a premier matchup, but you can at least show the T.O. TD highlight, would a 4 second big play be too much? Apparently. Of course, we're Bills fans, and judge the broadcast based upon the Buffalo coverage, but to be fair, they did make highlight show material plays, (pick 6, two long td passes) I don't get it.

Too bad the George Michael Sports Machine is gone. That was great for highlights. One host, and his playback machine.

The George michael Music machine is here in Dallas ... <_< sat behind him and his significant other at the Sabres Stars game last year .... but I digress

Football Night In America is awful

Their commentators aren't that great. Olbertard is well, you know. Dan Patrick isn't very entertaining. Bob Costas has a very dull style that works for dull sports like baseball. Peter King should stick to writing his column. Andrea Kramer hasn't aged well. Tony Dungy gives off a deer in the headlights vibe when on camera. Rodney Harrison is a punk

Even their name sucks. Football Night In America just sounds too pretentious

I actually kind of like the NBC production...but not so much for the highlights. By the time half-time of the night game roll around, I have seen a ton of highlights already. Every channel just seems to show the same thing, over and over anyways.

As for the broadcast of the actual evening games, I think NBC is about as good as it gets right now.

I think ESPN is far worse...they have all day, every day, to show us detailed highlights, and I swear, I saw the same clip package for the Bills game at least 5 times over the course of Sunday and Monday. They barely showed a thing, and the biggest highlight of the entire game, if you watched ESPN was Terrell Owens dropping a pass....

Berman and Jackson will forever be the greatest duo breaking down highlights and giving insight into the games ever, in the history of NFL programming. IMO, nothing else even comes close. Flush it all down the toilet. They still do highlights on the MNF pregame show which is what I prefer to watch now.

The problem is with sports coverage in general being overcontrolled by business/marketing people. It used to be that NFL Primetime would show highlights from every game in almost equal length segments.

These days, everything is determined by ratings and focus groups. They know where the larger markets exist, and what topics interest them the most. So they cater to those markets with their highlights/analysis. This is nothing revolutionary and I can't blame these shows for doing it (they are after all a business).

But it certainly has alienated true football fans that care about every game's outcome, and the more intricate events from those games. And that applies to sports overall, the "business" of sports is becoming overwhelming. To paraphrase Gregg Easterbrook "There is no law that states the NFL must always remain extremely popular". It's only a matter of time before the backlash of actual football fans begins to hurt the NFL.