Roscoe Parrish Back On The Trade Block

What's the difference between the best PR in history and the 10th? The 50th? The 100th?

Couple yards?

True; could be a few yards per return through the course of things, I don't know. The point though is that he's really good at returning punts, and is one of the few guys that consistently has a chance of taking punts to the house; it seems like a playoff caliber team might trade to have a game-changer like that on their team.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True; could be a few yards per return through the course of things, I don't know. The point though is that he's really good at returning punts, and is one of the few guys that consistently has a chance of taking punts to the house; it seems like a playoff caliber team might trade to have a game-changer like that on their team.

Johnny Lee Higgins had a much better year--he returned more than twice as many punts and was only 2 yards less in avg.--that's consistent production. Plus he had 3 TDs, zero fumbles.

Roscoe 10 fair catches against only 21 returns. He had 1 (one) TD return and 2 fumbles (almost 10% of returns).

Big deal.

my continuous observation over the last few years is that when he returns it he does a good job but that he lets too many balls boun

I agree w/ this whole-heartedly. That should be taken into consideration. IDK if it's cuz he's concerned w/ not fielding it cleanly or not, but he's a WR - he should have good hands. (Bear in mind, a muffed punt is far worse than an extra 15 or so yd roll.) For having such an awesome return avg, I don't think our net yds against per punt is all that spectacular. Maybe it's April & coaching, IDK.

Reminds me of when Tasker took over PR duties. His avg wasn't that great, but he fielded almost EVERYTHING.

I've been saying this for a while now and for some reason I think people look at Roscoe's quick, darting open field running ability and automatically believe that he will become a good route running WR :rolleyes: .

Give it up, he's not any good as a WR, this coaching staff has tried to force him on to the field with the hopes that he could get open and make things happen. Bottom line is he isn't any good as a WR, accept it, because he won't be good here or anywhere else.

If we can get a 5th rounder for him, I'd be pleased.

I won't totally disagree with you.

Most businesses are results-oriented so heed must be paid to ability.

That said, most businesses are also heavily politicized and there are many cases of players not getting the opportunity to play simply because of where they were drafted, how much they got in a free agent contract, who their position coach is, or because the player in front of them is possibly being given one last chance to prove himself or showcase himself to scouts....

If Steve Johnson isn't more effective from scrimmage than Roscoe Parrish is, then they should simply cut him. Because Roscoe Parrish might be the worst 4th wide receiver in the NFL. Then again we don't know how bad Johnson is because he isn't given the chance to build on the brief glimpses of ability he's shown in the past.

And on a very related subject, am I the only one who thinks that the only reason Aaron Maybin is playing is because he's a first round pick?

Is it possible that the Bills might be better served sitting him down for a few weeks, getting him into football shape, work on developing him some counter moves and at the same time letting Chris Ellis show what he's capable of?

I agree with you completely with all this. In addition, I would just add that Roscoe is one of those players who simply spends too much time running back and forth across the field instead of up and down it. When he first started doing punt returns he had this problem. Then for the past year or 2 he finally realized he needs to accelerate vertically then bust a move. But in the NE game I was troubled to see that on PR's he was again back to his old habits.

I don't get to watch many Bills games but every time I have, when Roscoe's a receiver the moment he touches the ball he's trying to spin or bust some kind of move instead of just accelerating vertically. In his defense, I think he would be most effective catching the ball on the run but it seems like they don't use him that way much. Probably just doesn't have very good hands.

IMO Maybin's gotten a lot of respect from the left tackle/guard. That'll end as more coaches look at film of him. He takes a lot of short choppy steps coming off the ball and looks like he's still trying to learn the game at this level. He's definitely got talent but hasn't proven it yet. Bills need his abilities badly though and I agree with the number of plays they're using him. To me, only if he becomes a big liabiity do you cut his plays.

That being said, I really would like them to throw Ellis in there more. In the Pittsburgh preseason game, I was most impressed with his separation and ability to flow to the ball, it seemed better than Kelsay or Denney. I suspect the coaches want a game well in hand before they put him in there. We'll see.

I've been saying this for a while now and for some reason I think people look at Roscoe's quick, darting open field running ability and automatically believe that he will become a good route running WR :rolleyes: .

Give it up, he's not any good as a WR, this coaching staff has tried to force him on to the field with the hopes that he could get open and make things happen. Bottom line is he isn't any good as a WR, accept it, because he won't be good here or anywhere else.

If we can get a 5th rounder for him, I'd be pleased.

I don't care if he NEVER plays WR I would rather have Roscoe than a 5th round pick. He is a GREAT returner.

He's keeping Steve Johnson on the bench. The Bills do not have a viable fourth wide receiver as a result.

How many more chances do we give Roscoe to prove he can be effective from scrimmage? Trade him while he still has value...because that value is diminishing by the week in my opinion.

agreed :rolleyes:

i say keep roscoe, what happens next yr when t.o is gone???what about the special teams threat?????

If were looking at Roscoe becoming a 2nd or even a 3rd WR in the absence of TO next season we will have some severe issues. Trent cant get the ball to his receivers now and hes got Evans and Owens out there. I cant imagine what it will be like w/o Owens and Roscoe taking snaps at #2 or #3, oh wait that would be just like the last 2 years when the offense and passing games have sucked. :rolleyes:

I like Roscoe as much as the next guy, but lets be realistic... he's a marginal player in our offense. If we can trade him for a decent and, more importantly, a contributing player at a position of need (tackle or LB, currently); I'm all for it.

If it were for a draft pick, I guess I'd have to see what the pick is and what we do with it.

Good teams trade marginal players with a highly perceived value when the can. Bottom line, if his departure helps us get a player that contribute more frequently, it's only good for the team.

I've been completely against trading Roscoe from Day 1, however I am starting to come around should we get a good offer. I don't want to give him away for a 6th, but I'd be ok with getting Steve/JH in the 4th role to groom one of them to take over for TO when he's gone next year (assuming we don't resign TO).

i say keep roscoe, what happens next yr when t.o is gone???what about the special teams threat?????

If Parrish could play like TO, we wouldn't have needed him in the first place. Roscoe is battling for the 4th wr spot. Realistically, he is a special teams player only and replaceable by others on our roster. He's a good returner but if we can get a 5th round pick or better, I say move him.

How about using Roscoe in the Wildcat? I think a backfield of Roscoe, Fred, and Marshawn could be good for some plays

Really Pete??? If the center passes gas he might knock Roscoe over before the play even starts.

With Butler getting injured and suddenly Roscoe is on the trading block I am hoping they have some people in mind for the swap.