Roscoe Parrish Back On The Trade Block

Personally I think Steve Johnson is keeping Steve Johnson on the bench. The best players plays period.

I won't totally disagree with you.

Most businesses are results-oriented so heed must be paid to ability.

That said, most businesses are also heavily politicized and there are many cases of players not getting the opportunity to play simply because of where they were drafted, how much they got in a free agent contract, who their position coach is, or because the player in front of them is possibly being given one last chance to prove himself or showcase himself to scouts....

If Steve Johnson isn't more effective from scrimmage than Roscoe Parrish is, then they should simply cut him. Because Roscoe Parrish might be the worst 4th wide receiver in the NFL. Then again we don't know how bad Johnson is because he isn't given the chance to build on the brief glimpses of ability he's shown in the past.

And on a very related subject, am I the only one who thinks that the only reason Aaron Maybin is playing is because he's a first round pick?

Is it possible that the Bills might be better served sitting him down for a few weeks, getting him into football shape, work on developing him some counter moves and at the same time letting Chris Ellis show what he's capable of?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That said, most businesses are also heavily politicized and there are many cases of players not getting the opportunity to play simply because of where they were drafted, how much they got in a free agent contract, who their position coach is, or because the player in front of them is possibly being given one last chance to prove himself or showcase himself to scouts....

If Steve Johnson isn't more effective from scrimmage than Roscoe Parrish is, then they should simply cut him. Because Roscoe Parrish might be the worst 4th wide receiver in the NFL. Then again we don't know how bad Johnson is because he isn't given the chance to build on the brief glimpses of ability he's shown in the past.

And on a very related subject, am I the only one who thinks that the only reason Aaron Maybin is playing is because he's a first round pick?

Is it possible that the Bills might be better served sitting him down for a few weeks, getting him into football shape, work on developing him some counter moves and at the same time letting Chris Ellis show what he's capable of?

Great post ... I wonder if AVP is less of a fan of Roscoe's. Also brining hardy back on the roster gets the Bills bigger at WR.

Personally I think Steve Johnson is keeping Steve Johnson on the bench. The best players plays period.

You are 100% correct. The best players find a way to play, that is how Fred Jackson found his way from the Indoor League to where he is now. I probably is Steve Johnson keeping Steve Johnson inactive. It isn't just Roscoe ahead of him, Josh Reed is there too.

Hmmm, I feel a fifth rounder for Parrish is not much. That opinion is based purely on his PR skills though, im not impressed with him as a receiver. He had a very nice reverse though yesterday untill he decided to run it back lol (was something like 12 yards which became 9 after he ran back).

Checking his stats; he's had 2 PRs returned one for 5 and one for 15 and 2 faircatches, 1 reverse for 9 and one catch for 5. Maybe the coaches feel his value as PR is diminishing because he wants to be a WR instead of a PR, i.e. that he isnt giving it the heart he used to? And being a great PR takes a lot of heart aside from natural talent and speed.

Regular season games that count aren' the time to give someone a chance to show what they are capable of. Thats what camp and preseason games are for, so the best players play when it counts. As far as cutting Steve Johnson because he is inactive, that is ridiculous. Injuries happen too often in this league, as Bills fans know, so you keep the depth.

yes, Peter used to state, overstate, state, overstate his case on Willis McGahee and how he would be a 'top-5 RB on any team in the NFL' and letting him go would be a huge mistake. We all know how that worked out!

He played pretty well yesterday. Also, he has not been suspended or had any off the field issues as another rb I know. Having said that, I am very happy to have Fred Jackson on our team.

As for Roscoe, how do you sit the best punt returner in NFL history for Steve Johnson. The guy will make plays for this team or another team.

I cannot stand the Pats, but it would be a real kick in the arse if he ended up there (on a team that would figure out how to use him as a WR as well as a PR).

What is the over/under on threads this past off season about the Bills trading Roscoe? Has any other subject been beaten to death as much as this one in the past nine months?

Regular season games that count aren' the time to give someone a chance to show what they are capable of. Thats what camp and preseason games are for, so the best players play when it counts. As far as cutting Steve Johnson because he is inactive, that is ridiculous. Injuries happen too often in this league, as Bills fans know, so you keep the depth.

Yeah I guess I should have dumbed-down my post. It should have been obvious that I was being facetious about cutting Johnson. Why would I advocate giving him more playing time and then suggest that he get cut in the same thread?

BTW, if I call you billsfreak you do understand it's because that is your name on this board and I'm not trying to insult you? Just checking.

I don't think we are a better team with Stevie Johnson over Roscoe right now, and am concerned about the punt return game which he is generally pretty damn good at. I think as was pointed out he might be overrated because he is quick to let one bounce and roll back 20yds that Welker might have fielded and gained 5, but he clearly is a weapon.

However with our current offense, I don't see a way to get him the ball much, and that has been the problem in his career. I wish that our coaches could come up with a way to use him a little more like Welker for short quick passes, since I think he would be able to turn those into productive offense but more importantly have defenses have to adjust and make more space for TO and Lee.

Yup. This is why the Bills and jauron kept Freddie Jackson glued to the bench in favor of A-train, and Greer benched in favor of Jason Webster.

Yup. This is why the Bills and jauron kept Freddie Jackson glued to the bench in favor of A-train, and Greer benched in favor of Jason Webster.

Exactly.

The argument that the players that are dressed are also the best players is a bit of an oversimplification. Especially when you can only designate 45 active players from a 53 man roster.

But some people need to view the world in oversimplistic terms.

I don't think we are a better team with Stevie Johnson over Roscoe right now, and am concerned about the punt return game which he is generally pretty damn good at. I think as was pointed out he might be overrated because he is quick to let one bounce and roll back 20yds that Welker might have fielded and gained 5, but he clearly is a weapon.

However with our current offense, I don't see a way to get him the ball much, and that has been the problem in his career. I wish that our coaches could come up with a way to use him a little more like Welker for short quick passes, since I think he would be able to turn those into productive offense but more importantly have defenses have to adjust and make more space for TO and Lee.

This is a valid point. Personally I don't think Roscoe would be effective from scrimmage for any NFL team but this is a valid argument.

I'm actually in the group that thinks Roscoe will be one heck of an NFL player on a team that utilizes his WR skills a bit more.

BUT...its not going to be with the Bills. They are overflowing with talent at the WR and the returner spots, so he's just kind of stuck here. Do the guy a favor, trade him to Washington (who we dont play this season) and let him jumpstart his career.

Hell, you never know what type of screwjob you can pull on Washington anyways...Danny boy might give up his first rounder!

I hate to see Parrish leave based on the pure talent the guy has. It is too bad we never figured out a way to use him a la Wes Welker. But Welker is one of the smarter receivers in the NFL, especially when it comes to running a hot route. I don't think Parrish has ever developed into a player who can do that.

The Bills seem far more impressed with Steve Johnson, though I don't think it is Parrish keeping Johnson on the bench.....it is Josh Reed.

I also think they want to move him before Hardy comes off PUP.

I'm surprised no one is biting; the guy is pretty much the best punt returner in NFL history.

What's the difference between the best PR in history and the 10th? The 50th? The 100th?

Couple yards?

He's not a reciever, and thats FINE. He's the NFL's best punt returner. He gives us an advantage over every other team in the league, period.

I agree 100% and I think the coaches are too however you are dealing with a human being here, he wants to be a wr.

And as for Roscoe's value as a return man, my continuous observation over the last few years is that when he returns it he does a good job but that he lets too many balls bounce and roll. That loses us a lot of field position when it happens and it has to be weighed against his nice return numbers.

This drove me crazy yesterday. I don't know if he simply is afraid to run up and catch the ball or doesn't want to ruin his return average, but his habit of letting balls bounce has to annoy the coaches. I wonder if the sudden leak that he's on the block again has something to do with him twice letting punts bounce.