Remember the World Trade Center

Never forget.

Agreed. This is a link to a documentary of that horrible day and the days that followed as seen through the eyes of several survivers that recorded (personal camcorders) the events as they happend. I'm sure some have already seen it but for those who haven't, I highly suggest it. It's an hour and a half long. It will change you.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/85366/7-days-in-september

Never forget.

I dont think I could ever forget this day in history. I was teaching my young Marines and Sailors in Pensacola 8 years ago, and remember one of my counterparts walking in the classroom and saying the WTC was hit by a plane. And then another one, and the crash in PA. What a sad sad day that was. The only silver lining to the whole thing is we have a better understanding of our enemy and I dont think any terrorist will ever bring any American plane down again with box cutters or other light weapons without a fight. The victims should be honored with a national holiday. God Bless America. Semper Fi.

I dont think I could ever forget this day in history. I was teaching my young Marines and Sailors in Pensacola 8 years ago, and remember one of my counterparts walking in the classroom and saying the WTC was hit by a plane. And then another one, and the crash in PA. What a sad sad day that was. The only silver lining to the whole thing is we have a better understanding of our enemy and I dont think any terrorist will ever bring any American plane down again with box cutters or other light weapons without a fight. The victims should be honored with a national holiday. God Bless America. Semper Fi.

Agreed, Never forget.

I will never understand how all the men on those planes could let somebody take them down with BOX-CUTTERS. I just do not understand that whole scenario. I understand that this is not the point, and please do not take what I am saying the wrong way. I am, in no way, disrespecting ANYBODY whatsoever. I just cannot grasp how a bunch of men could accept their fate was decided by a bunch of Arabs with utility knifes.

On the other hand, God Bless the families of those victims, as well as everyone who was involved. May the victims themselves forever Rest In Peace. To the rescuers (NYPD/NYFD) and volunteers, thank you and God Bless your hearts. I will always remember your courage and passion, as well as your desire to help others, while risking your own life.

To the original poster...thank you for serving our country in the Military. I have the utmost respect for you and what you do. My Father was a Marine in Vietnam. He passed away last summer due to Pancreatic Cancer, that they say was caused by exposure to Agent Orange. My Uncle (Dad's brother) was a Marine, as was my Grandfather (Korean War) and now my little Cousin is a Sargeant in the Marines. Your service is greatly appreciated, and nobody on Earth can match the courage or character of a United States Marine. God Bless you, God Bless America...GO BILLS!

I will never understand how all the men on those planes could let somebody take them down with BOX-CUTTERS. I just do not understand that whole scenario. I understand that this is not the point, and please do not take what I am saying the wrong way. I am, in no way, disrespecting ANYBODY whatsoever. I just cannot grasp how a bunch of men could accept their fate was decided by a bunch of Arabs with utility knifes.

On the other hand, God Bless the families of those victims, as well as everyone who was involved. May the victims themselves forever Rest In Peace. To the rescuers (NYPD/NYFD) and volunteers, thank you and God Bless your hearts. I will always remember your courage and passion, as well as your desire to help others, while risking your own life.

To the original poster...thank you for serving our country in the Military. I have the utmost respect for you and what you do. My Father was a Marine in Vietnam. He passed away last summer due to Pancreatic Cancer, that they say was caused by exposure to Agent Orange. My Uncle (Dad's brother) was a Marine, as was my Grandfather (Korean War) and now my little Cousin is a Sargeant in the Marines. Your service is greatly appreciated, and nobody on Earth can match the courage or character of a United States Marine. God Bless you, God Bless America...GO BILLS!

because people didnt know--they thought they were JUST getting hijacked...and they had the boxcutters up to the flight attendants throats and probably used it---with the threat of using it again. But I do get your point.There were no Chuck Norris's on the plane.--But I really think people had no clue til it was too late.-they coulda killed the pilots right off--and unless there was someone on the plane who could fly--people had to just hope it was a sick hijacking.

because people didnt know--they thought they were JUST getting hijacked...and they had the boxcutters up to the flight attendants throats and probably used it---with the threat of using it again. But I do get your point.There were no Chuck Norris's on the plane.--But I really think people had no clue til it was too late.-they coulda killed the pilots right off--and unless there was someone on the plane who could fly--people had to just hope it was a sick hijacking.

True. And, maybe they didn't know if there were bombs on the plane or not? I meant more along the lines of how could the men let the arabs GET TO the pilots. Once they did get to the pilots, it was obviously all over. I still would bet that you and myself, along with I'd say at least a dozen more other men from this forum (not to mention ALL the women on board), could take out 3-4 (?) arabs...box-cutter or not. I would bet that I could get a little crazy if my life was on the line, same with a loved one and/or other people and the people they love. I don't know, it's a irrelevant point I am trying to make I guess, and I am going nowhere with it. ;)

Anyways...again, God Bless all of those involved and affected. God Bless all of you...

*GO BILLS!

True. And, maybe they didn't know if there were bombs on the plane or not? I meant more along the lines of how could the men let the arabs GET TO the pilots. Once they did get to the pilots, it was obviously all over. I still would bet that you and myself, along with I'd say at least a dozen more other men from this forum (not to mention ALL the women on board), could take out 3-4 (?) arabs...box-cutter or not. I would bet that I could get a little crazy if my life was on the line, same with a loved one and/or other people and the people they love. I don't know, it's a irrelevant point I am trying to make I guess, and I am going nowhere with it. ;)

Anyways...again, God Bless all of those involved and affected. God Bless all of you...

*GO BILLS!

sadly back then all you had to do was walk into the cockpit

Thank You and all the rest of our military for your service to our country

God Bless America!

I was in the 9th grade and seriously remember EVERYTHING about that day. Even what happened before we heard about the attacks. The specials they have been running on the history channel have been excellent, although I can only watch so much before it becomes very depressing. I have only been on this earth for 22 years but this is definitely one of very few days so far I will never forget.

9/11 was a horrible day in history. My thought's and prayers go out to all that was, and still is, affected by the events of that very tragic day.

To all the innocents lives lost, the families that were left behind, the US soldiers abroad, and the innocent lives lost in Afghanistan and Iraq. May God be with you.

I still would bet that you and myself, along with I'd say at least a dozen more other men from this forum (not to mention ALL the women on board), could take out 3-4 (?) arabs...box-cutter or not. I would bet that I could get a little crazy if my life was on the line, same with a loved one and/or other people and the people they love. I don't know, it's a irrelevant point I am trying to make I guess, and I am going nowhere with it. :doh:

Go rent United 93

God Bless America!

Your Welcome! My time in the Marines is rapidly coming to a close, however..... I respectfully report to you that we as Americans are in great hands with the young Men and Women who continue to volunteer and uphold the high standards and traditions of our Armed Forces.

I too was teaching a class for some Sailors on Naval Station Norfolk. I'm a Retired Navy Chief myself. We were told about the planes hitting the Towers and I really didn't think much of it as I was thinking small planes probably an accident, then were were told an airliner hit the Pentagon and the Base was being closed. I had to send the students back to their ships (the majority of the students were from USS Seattle)and as I was leaving the Base the security at the gates was like nothing I had seen in my 20 years in the Navy. We have now been attacked twice (don't forget 12-07-41) and need to find some date between those 2 dates for a National Holiday.

(I was stationed in P'cola once I loved it except for the fact that it's where I met my ex-wife)

I too was teaching a class for some Sailors on Naval Station Norfolk. I'm a Retired Navy Chief myself. We were told about the planes hitting the Towers and I really didn't think much of it as I was thinking small planes probably an accident, then were were told an airliner hit the Pentagon and the Base was being closed. I had to send the students back to their ships (the majority of the students were from USS Seattle)and as I was leaving the Base the security at the gates was like nothing I had seen in my 20 years in the Navy. We have now been attacked twice (don't forget 12-07-41) and need to find some date between those 2 dates for a National Holiday.

(I was stationed in P'cola once I loved it except for the fact that it's where I met my ex-wife)

Good ole florabama!

God Bless America!

I agree! Thanks to all the military personnel who serve our country! I teach the 6th grade and we brought in a couple of military branches to talk with the kids, Navy on Tuesday and Air Force on Thursday that talked about their experiences. After the Air Force Thursday, we expressed our disappointment in the students that not one had the thoughtfulness to even say thank you to either branch for all they do. Hopefully after our little chat many of them will begin to appreciate all that they have and thank those that allow us to to have the rights that we do.

Because standard procedure up to that point was to give the hijackers command of the plane and get it down as soon as possible, to avoid any harm to the passengers - because up to that point, pretty much the ONLY people harmed or threatened in hijackings were the passengers. The terrorists' plan for 9/11 identified the weakness in that procedure (what if the hijackers want actual direct control of the plane? The SOP won't prevent that.) and quite simply and smartly used the system against itself.

9/11 represented a quintessential paradigm shift in what hijackings could mean and be intended for...and that shift occured pretty much within the space of ten minutes, when the passengers of United 93 threw out the "standard" response and tried to take back the plane once they realized they were being used as a cruise missile. That's a very important thing to understand in relation to your question: at 8am, no one knew they were being "taken down with box cutters". By 9:30am, they knew.

Because standard procedure up to that point was to give the hijackers command of the plane and get it down as soon as possible, to avoid any harm to the passengers - because up to that point, pretty much the ONLY people harmed or threatened in hijackings were the passengers. The terrorists' plan for 9/11 identified the weakness in that procedure (what if the hijackers want actual direct control of the plane? The SOP won't prevent that.) and quite simply and smartly used the system against itself.

9/11 represented a quintessential paradigm shift in what hijackings could mean and be intended for...and that shift occured pretty much within the space of ten minutes, when the passengers of United 93 threw out the "standard" response and tried to take back the plane once they realized they were being used as a cruise missile. That's a very important thing to understand in relation to your question: at 8am, no one knew they were being "taken down with box cutters". By 9:30am, they knew.

Bingo! I had this same exact discussion last night with an uncle of mine, and I basically told him the same thing, The modus operandi of terrorists is vastly different than what it was 10-20 years ago. Hijackers used their victims as pawns for negotiations where as today it is to strike fear in the core of people's minds.

The best thing that people could of done years ago is just let them do what they gotta do and more likely than not you would return safely, there was no need to be a hero. Now a days it's a different ball game.

I was just walking out of my house to go to work (I work at a University in California) and my neighbor across the street ran over to me (former military went immediately to the other former military on the block)

I actually laughed it off because I didn't understand what he was saying......I turn on the radio to listen to some music and it was just weird.....no music...not much talk.....I was like ok something has happened then I put two and two together and when I made it to the University everyone was in a state of shock....classes had been suspended....nobody was working......and there was this strong push to make sure everyone understood that our middle eastern students (of which we had a lot) were NOT the ones that did this and were not terrorists. As soon as the media started talking about how some of the terrorists might have got in on student visas it became a REAL concern.

A young middle eastern woman walks into my office the next day and starts crying.......she was petrified.

I had my own business at the time. I was on the phone with a local supplier, making jokes.

The sales guy stopped me and asked if I knew what just happened. I turned on the TV just

in time to see the second building fall. I watched for a bit, listened to the reports of more

planes that might be hijacked and sped off to my kids daycare to bring them home as we are

on the path of landing planes..

I then spent, like many other people, the next few days watching the TV trying to grasp what

had happened. Thankfully, I didn't know anyone involved.

God bless to all the families of those who were killed or injured in those events.