I heard Marty Schottenheimer on Sirius radio today and

Tipster19

Way to dodge a simple question.

The point of the question is to see where you draw your line; otherwise, you're just posturing.

Nonsense. I would need to actually have the season play out before judging the team. How did they lose? When did they lose? Were they riddled with injuries? Were they competitive in games?

All of that, and more, would go into the label of "in shambles". The Bills finished 7-9 under DJ in his three years as HC.

In 2006, the team was remarkably improved from the previous year and finished the season looking pretty good. While no great accomplishment, I'd give DJ a fair grade for that 7-9 team.

In 2007 the team was riddled with injuries especially on defense. While I wasn't happy with the coaching (to say the least) a 7-9 record wasn't horrible given the circumstances. But they did look pretty bad on the field, at times.

Last year the team started on fire and fizzled like a lost team. The coaching was horrible. 7-9 last year was an embarrassment.

So, you can see why I won't answer your overly-simplistic hypothetical question with the choices you gave.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...Sounds Like Marv Levy

To a deaf man, perhaps.

Levy: 17 years as head coach. 19 playoff appearances. 11-8 in playoff games. 4 Super Bowl appearances.

Nice try, though.

Yeah Dean, it would really suck to have a coach with a .613 career winning percentage who has made the playoffs in 13 of his 20 seasons. An average of 10 wins per year really sucks.

I guess its Marty's fault that Byner fumbled or McCree was too stupid to fall down after the INT, or that Kaeding couldn't hit the broad side of a barn on his FG attempts against the Jets.

He was talking about how much success he had in turning losing teams around. He then stated that one of the first mindsets he would implement is that he wasn't looking for players to be better than what they were but instead he just wanted them to be the best that they could be. Simple but profound in my opinion. I have to question not only our coaching but the mindset of our team which is directly related. I think that Schottenheimer would be an excellent coach for our perennial underachievers and if Jauron gets the boot then this is the guy that I would like to replace him with.

Simple, yet profound - and sounds a bit like...

Mike Leach

"We've focused on playing to the best of our ability, becoming the best team we can be, rather than really focus on them," said Leach, who is starting his 10th season with the Red Raiders. "And we kind of do that every week. Focus on us and become the best team we can be."

Yeah Dean, it would really suck to have a coach with a .613 career winning percentage who has made the playoffs in 13 of his 20 seasons. An average of 10 wins per year really sucks.

I guess its Marty's fault that Byner fumbled or McCree was too stupid to fall down after the INT, or that Kaeding couldn't hit the broad side of a barn on his FG attempts against the Jets.

Where did I say it would "suck"? I just think there are better options to pursue.

Simple, yet profound - and sounds a bit like...

Mike Leach

"We've focused on playing to the best of our ability, becoming the best team we can be, rather than really focus on them," said Leach, who is starting his 10th season with the Red Raiders. "And we kind of do that every week. Focus on us and become the best team we can be."

The original Mike Leach may be available after this season.

You need an overall goal, a mindset, a mission statement to egt to where you want to be. Marty has it and I wouldn't mind seeing him here implementing it.

I've said this before; I don't care that he doesn't win in the Playoffs as we haven't even gone there in a decade and I don't care that he is at the age of retirement, we could do so much worse than Shotzy as our coach. Let Marty build a winner her before he takes his final bow in this League.

Nonsense. I would need to actually have the season play out before judging the team. How did they lose? When did they lose? Were they riddled with injuries? Were they competitive in games?

All of that, and more, would go into the label of "in shambles". The Bills finished 7-9 under DJ in his three years as HC.

In 2006, the team was remarkably improved from the previous year and finished the season looking pretty good. While no great accomplishment, I'd give DJ a fair grade for that 7-9 team.

In 2007 the team was riddled with injuries especially on defense. While I wasn't happy with the coaching (to say the least) a 7-9 record wasn't horrible given the circumstances. But they did look pretty bad on the field, at times.

Last year the team started on fire and fizzled like a lost team. The coaching was horrible. 7-9 last year was an embarrassment.

So, you can see why I won't answer your overly-simplistic hypothetical question with the choices you gave.

:rolleyes:

The play-offs would be a quantum leap for this team.

Yes. And once you make the playoffs then actually winning a game would be a quantum leap...then two games...then the Big One. You say "playoffs" but it still sucks just as much when you don't go all the way...maybe even more.

PTR

But if we were in the same position as the Chargers, we'd all be trying to tear Schottenheimer's throat out for never getting us to the promised land. It's all about perspective.

I would love to have those problems right now. Instead, I get to complain about a soft, boring, border-line mediocre team who has no chance of beating the top 6-8 teams in the NFL.

No point discussing him for Bills, as he would want more control than Ralph would give anyone. He would most likely want to be coach and GM, or at least have last say in personnel and player decisions, and Ralph wants the last say. Don't think he would get the control he wants on this team.

But if must discuss, I like him as a coach for a team in the position the Bills are currently in. I would like to see someone like him come in for 4-5 years and build a solid foundation and give the team a direction. Until that happens the Bills are not going to attract decent free agents without overpaying, like have to do now.

The original Mike Leach may be available after this season.

Good God, no. Spurrier is a college coach that was clearly in over his head in the NFL. That would be like bringing in a coach that had experience, but didn't win. Hey...wait a minute....

Marty, Gruden, Shanahan, Fassel, heck maybe even take a flyer on Denny Green. We need someone who will come in and shake things up and teach these guys how to win instead of survive.

:rolleyes:

I wanted Fassel as soon as Gregg Williams was shown the door. This is a guy who knows the game, isn't afraid to take control, and will put people in their place if he has to. I respect that just as much (if not more) than a coach who is player-friendly.

Having Jauron on the hot seat this year allows Ralph to make the move to bring in any one of these guys next year. I doubt that's how he planned it, but (money aside) I can see it working out this way.

He was talking about how much success he had in turning losing teams around. He then stated that one of the first mindsets he would implement is that he wasn't looking for players to be better than what they were but instead he just wanted them to be the best that they could be. Simple but profound in my opinion. I have to question not only our coaching but the mindset of our team which is directly related. I think that Schottenheimer would be an excellent coach for our perennial underachievers and if Jauron gets the boot then this is the guy that I would like to replace him with.

this guy should be our coach and jauron should be on sirius

Marty Ball is a joke and I would never want him as the Bills head coach. Talk about conservative -- it would resemble the same offense we have now. He couldn't win with arguably the most talented team in the NFL a few yrs ago in San Diego. How would he be the solution. No thanks.

Marty and Bill Cowher (who worked for Marty in KC) are similar in nature...They will play hard nosed defense and run the ball and take their teams repeatedly to the playoffs, but could never get over the hump. Cowher got lucky to get Dick Lebeau back to assemble that defense and got Big Ben in a 1 year off season of 6-10. Both in my opinion will be the first step coach for us to go the playoffs.....

Cowher will demand 5M+ a year...Marty may come for 3M+.....If RW has to chose between them, he will pick Marty.

I think of Marty in the way I think of Chuck Knox. If you have a MISERABLE team (think Detroit), those guys can make you competitive. Maybe get you to the playoffs, after a few years. But that's pretty much their top-end.

I have to agree. Knox couldn't get the RAMS to the SB - Seattle either. He can get the most out of his players but after that the tank is empty. Maybe we need that now - -

Indeed. Jauron is just a poor-man's Marty.

I see where you are going, but there is a huge difference.

Marty would come in with an established, winning program and people who believe in it. Jauron otoh came is as an established loser who hired Schonert without interviewing anyone (according to some here). With Jauron, there is really nothing to believe in other than the fact that he will lose.

Marv Levy was the only GM in football who would have hired Jauron, and that says something, dontcha think?

Marty Ball is a joke and I would never want him as the Bills head coach. Talk about conservative -- it would resemble the same offense we have now. He couldn't win with arguably the most talented team in the NFL a few yrs ago in San Diego. How would he be the solution. No thanks.

I'd take Martyball in a second. Nobody else has won with San Diego either. He put those teams in a position to win.

I think of Marty in the way I think of Chuck Knox. If you have a MISERABLE team (think Detroit), those guys can make you competitive. Maybe get you to the playoffs, after a few years. But that's pretty much their top-end.

I've always said that marty was the worst kind of coach, always gets his teams to the playoffs, NEVER goes anywhere. PAINFUL.

But, missing the playoffs for 9 straight is pretty damn painful too.

GO BILLS!

I'd take Martyball in a second. Nobody else has won with San Diego either. He put those teams in a position to win.

Bobby Ross went 47-33 with the Chargers including a trip to the Super Bowl with Stan Humphries at QB -- thus doing more with less talent than Marty ever did. Would you want Ross too?